Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Partner shared perfumes

Do you own any perfumes that are regularly used from your partner (girlfriend, boyfriend, wife or husband) with or without your knowledge?
    Or maybe perfumes that you both like and eventually bought (or plan to buy) after discussing with him/her knowing from the start that are predestinated for common use?
    How do those perfumes wear on them in comparison? Do you smell a "different" perfume on their skin?

I own a considerable perfume collection but it never crossed my mind that my partner would start using one of them because most of them are "man's perfumes".
    A few months ago my partner came back home from work and she was smelling fantastic.
    This is not a surprise because she smells fantastic every day (she has her own small collection of "feminine perfumes") but this time she wasn't wearing one of her perfumes but something different.
    It took me a couple of seconds to realise that she was wearing one of my own perfumes and i was really happy about it because i told her a lot of times in the past to wear anything she wants.
    The perfume was ACQUA DI PARMA COLONIA INTENSA. I wouldn't think that it could smell soooo nice on a woman's skin but it does.
    We have discussed about it and bought a back up bottle (and plan to buy a third one) because we use it regularly and we both enjoy it a lot.
    The next common perfume will be from the same line, the ACQUA DI PARMA COLONIA ESSENZA.
    I still haven't used her own perfumes because they are very feminine to my nose but who knows..Maybe i will.

Your turn now!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Partner shared perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Do you own any perfumes that are regularly used from your partner (girlfriend, boyfriend, wife or husband) with or without your knowledge?
    All of my children and grandchildren have used at one time or another fragrances of mine and always have access to my entire collection whenever they choose.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

No specific fragrance currently owned is specifically designated for common use-mainly due to being single at this moment, yet irrespective of this, nothing would be off limits either if there is a certain interest, mutually shared hobby regarding fragrances.

In the past, though the personal scent lineup was freely available as well-few actual fragrances got to be put to common use. With a few notable exceptions like the fairly unisex Versace Blue Jeans, perhaps even more strangely Antaeus, a few classic male Guy Laroche scents worn with a certain enjoyment not just by past SOs, yet also most lady friends in general having access to the wardrobe as well.
    Currently wearing: Chevignon by Chevignon

Mostly Creed's Selection Verte during our summer break
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Basenotes Plus

No. My wife is free to use any fragrance of mine she wants, but she prefers the simplicity of a small, highly curated collection of her own. I, conversely, have no need to dip into that collection, having more than enough go my own. The one exception is sampling for sync days, but I'm not sure how often I'll do that.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

There's a fair amount of crossover here. Even who owns what can be slightly vague. Mostly, we play along with gender marketing, and wear what's suggested.

Mitsouko is one of the main crossovers. I think it works great on me.

Jules will wear something masculine, such as Jules, Antaeus, Dior Homme, Fahrenhiet, Egoiste, or Bel Ami, but not regularly. More like just trying them two or three times.

There's not a crossover scent that's a main, featured fragrance for either of us.

Basenotes Junkie

I have a lot of unisex fragrances but I can't imagine sharing them.
    Scents create quite strong olfactory memories for me and that's so personal and intimate, that sharing a fragrance feels like sharing an underwear.
    Even sharing my scented shower gel from a fragrance didn't work out for me - smelling myself off someone else was weird.
    Maybe I cling to much to those emotions evoked by fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    I have a lot of unisex fragrances but I can't imagine sharing them.
    Scents create quite strong olfactory memories for me and that's so personal and intimate, that sharing a fragrance feels like sharing an underwear.
    Even sharing my scented shower gel from a fragrance didn't work out for me - smelling myself off someone else was weird.
    Maybe I cling to much to those emotions evoked by fragrances.
    Not at all. For me perfumes are also always related to situations, persons or periods of my life.
    Maybe you should try to combine the smell of a perfume with the memory of your partner from the start before starting using it for yourself.
    Make it from the start common. Can't get more intimate or personal than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    There's a fair amount of crossover here. Even who owns what can be slightly vague. Mostly, we play along with gender marketing, and wear what's suggested.

Mitsouko is one of the main crossovers. I think it works great on me.

Jules will wear something masculine, such as Jules, Antaeus, Dior Homme, Fahrenhiet, Egoiste, or Bel Ami, but not regularly. More like just trying them two or three times.

There's not a crossover scent that's a main, featured fragrance for either of us.
    I was expecting your answer my friend. Jules has very good taste!

P.S
    Why is the number of your posts reduced to 438????

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

Not even Miss Dior???

My wife and I freely swap fragrances. Things tend to wear slightly sweeter/softer on her than they do on me (i.e. more leather comes out in Bvlgari Black Orient when I wear it), but nothing terribly dramatic.

She's fearless about wearing masculine scents and loves Aramis Tuscany on me but finds it kinda flat on her skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Not even Miss Dior???
    Miss Dior would be. It's not yet. I don't wear it much. I might be working up to it. I recognize that it's better than anything I have. I'm not entirely sure how I choose what I wear. A factor with Miss Dior is that it's often around anyway.

The problem with Mitsouko, or any Guerlain, is that I have to do my part to show the appropriate appreciation. There's a category of fragrances that she's so in to, I would tend to leave them for her:

Miss Dior
    Dioressence
    Dior-Dior
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Chanel No. 22
    Chanel No. 19
    Histoires de Parfums Noir Patchouli

Mitsouko is at the intersection of getting a fair amount of love, but still deserving way more.

P.S
    I was born again.

Always be smelling

P.S
    He posted in Aventus Subforum. Had to be punished.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Genny (original) by Genny

Basenotes Plus

The missus seems to have developed a taste for MDCI Invasion Barbare. And on a recent business trip she took along my Cartier L’Envol. Most of my Chanels were left untouched save for her No.5 L’Eau which I personally wear on occasions.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

I very happily share scents with both my partners, but also visiting friends. I have a few who are real perfumistas and we like borrowing from each other's collections.

Focusing on my partners - my (male) nesting partner will often use Parterre's Root of All Goodness & Frank Olivier's Oud Touch. Every so often he'll wear Lush's The Bug or Penhaligon's Duoro if he's feeling adventurous. Opium is delicious on him (awful on me) and so he inherited that bottle from my collection full stop. I will sometimes sneak a bit of his Eau de Baux (my goodness that stuff is lovely). He's very picky about his scents and eyes my giant collection with thinly veiled disdain.

My (female) non-nesting partner will dip into my bottles of Pierre Guillaume's Sorong, Zoologist's Chameleon and Guerlain's Herba Fresca. I think Mitsuoko would smell divine on her, but I don't really want share that, so I keep it hidden at the back! She has a much smaller collection, most of which is stuff that doesn't suit me, but from time to time I'll use a bit of her bottle of Demeter's Cardamom.
    My current rotation:
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi & Paithaini by Penhaligons
    Heavy Hitters: Hyde by Hiram Green & Vi et Armis by Beaufort

All Is Beautiful

None of my perfumes interest my wife in the slightest.

Long ago I had gotten her Shalimar but the housekeeper broke it and she has had no interest since.

The bathroom smelled like Shalimar for a few weeks. The housekeeper never admitted breaking it (and we didn't ask her; we knew she had), LOL.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    He posted in Aventus Subforum. Had to be punished.
    Whattt??? Not enough punishment... yet

My wife and i both regularly wear Rose Anonyme by Atelier

My partner and I share everything - meaning, I buy everything, and on ocassion he smells something he likes and "borrows" it.

So far he's taken Bvlgari Black, Goutal Duel, some Hermes Jardins, and a few ELDOs.
    Currently wearing: Galop d'Hermès by Hermès

My Wife and I share.
    GOLD by Puredistance
    Dark by Akro
    Homage by Amouage
    Coromandel by Channel

My wife and I have a shared collection and jointly wear 80–85% of it, with the remaining fragrances having notes that one likes and the other doesn't (e.g. I don't like honey scents and she loves Slowdive; I love Les Années but there's a plasticky rubber note she can't get past).

Basenotes Plus

I only WISH my partner would wear my fragrances! He's definitely a no-scent guy and, in fact, only likes/tolerates these few on me:

--Cuir de Russie
    --Mitsouko
    --Nuit de Noel
    --MKK (once it's dried down)
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

Me and my wife don't separate in general. However, she sometimes struggles with certain animalic fragrances, especially if the civet and castoreum notes are very prominent. For e.g., she does not like Ences Chypre (Sultan Pasha), but that is my second most favourite composition from that genius nose. We wear Areej Le Dore to Dior, Sultan Pasha to Henry Jacques, artisan ouds, and some of my own blends that I made for her and myself. We burn agarwood, sandalwood, cedarwood, frankincense and other resins, and in rare occasions, some deer musk pod innards with oudchips on my DIY electric incense burner. I have a very wide taste palette, partly because I get bored quite easily and annoyingly picky. But my better half is a loving, and a willing guinea pig in this hobby of mine.

My husband and I both wear MKK, Heeley Cardinal, Amouage Dia woman, and Fumerie Turque. Other than that, we stick to our own collections.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    None of my perfumes interest my wife in the slightest.

Long ago I had gotten her Shalimar but the housekeeper broke it and she has had no interest since.

The bathroom smelled like Shalimar for a few weeks. The housekeeper never admitted breaking it (and we didn't ask her; we knew she had), LOL.
    That’s a pity but on the other hand it must have been the best smelling bathroom

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    My husband and I both wear MKK, Heeley Cardinal, Amouage Dia woman, and Fumerie Turque. Other than that, we stick to our own collections.
    Very nice selections. I would love to try fumerie l turque at some point

It looks like Mitsouko is the winner. Till now.

Basenotes Member

My girlfriend and I have a good amount of shared scents. Mostly I get them, she tries them, decides she likes them and continues to use them.

At this stage I already know she's going to like a fragrance and even look for a larger volume bottle if that's the case.

Some of the ones we regularly share:

AdP Colonia and any flankers that I had over the years
    Dior Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Le Labo Patchouli 24 and Santal 33
    Tam Dao EdP
    Santa Maria Novella Patchouli
    TF Patchouli Absolu
    Voyage d'Hermes

I also make some oil blends that we share and I love how they smell differently on each other's skin.

Basenotes Member

My girlfriend and I have a good amount of shared scents. Mostly I get them, she tries them, decides she likes them and continues to use them.

At this stage I already know she's going to like a fragrance and even look for a larger volume bottle if that's the case.

Some of the ones we regularly share:

AdP Colonia and any flankers that I had over the years
    Dior Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Le Labo Patchouli 24 and Santal 33
    Tam Dao EdP
    Santa Maria Novella Patchouli
    TF Patchouli Absolu
    Voyage d'Hermes

I also make some oil blends that we share and I love how they smell differently on each other's skin.