Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: When was the last time someone's perfume annoyed you and which perfume was it?

Lol, Grimace Factor! Nice one, Red. Might have to borrow that one sometimes.

The last time I got offended was just yesterday on an evening train commute though I can’t pinpoint the exact offending fragrance. All I caught in the air was the scratchy woody amber base which isn’t all that uncommon among modern designer masculines.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: When was the last time someone's perfume annoyed you and which perfume was it?

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I recently smelled someone who was wearing something spot on to Eau d'Hermes. I wore it twice and it was awful.
    I hope it wasn't me.

I do restrict my Eau d'Hermes to at-home wearing, because I recognize it's not for everyone in our current environment. But I adore it.

Basenotes Junkie

Today I smelled a trail of synthetic chemical mess on a train platform, was way too strong and unpleasant, a guy who left it probably took a bath in that fragragrance. I don't know what it was, though and don't really want to know

I can't remember but, as always, it was a designer fragrance.

CDG Wonderwood in Tokyo in basically any "high-end" boutique.
    Currently wearing: Dans Paris by Céline

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I hope it wasn't me.

I do restrict my Eau d'Hermes to at-home wearing, because I recognize it's not for everyone in our current environment. But I adore it.
    I would never blame you for that, me and my nose just don't agree with Eau d'Hermes. Maybe bribing it with something pleasant would help.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

It’s almost always Santal 33 or Sauvage, both of which are much stronger than many people realize (likely because both cause anosmia in the wearer pretty easily).

Santal 33 I particularly abhor. Yesterday someone wore it into the small restaurant where I was eating lunch, and it was really irritating. That one has a hissy, chlorine-like super-radiant chemical base which strikes me as keening and lacking all warmth or soul. As I’ve said elsewhere, it’s the olfactory equivalent of tinnitus. Santal 33 is the scent that exemplifies Le Labo’s targeting of the vapid, aspirational, industrial loft gentrifier crowd. Expensive, grindingly efficient, far too loud, and lacking all charisma.

With Sauvage, it’s a happier story, only because I’ve come around on the fragrance significantly since it first came out. I no longer get the dryer sheets association it used to produce from afar, and wearing it many times now I’ve come to appreciate its subtleties (yes, it actually has them!). I have the EDT, the EDP, and various samples of the Parfum, plus several of the associated accoutrements (shower gel, deodorant, lotion). Sauvage has been my bete noire, because I used to HATE it, but then I became darkly fascinated, until I was determined to figure out what it was about it... and such intimate scrutiny turned to affection.

In any case, it’s still one where it can SO easily be over-applied, in which case it becomes inescapable. Maybe I wouldn’t be as annoyed now that the fragrance and I are on amicable terms, but an over-enthusiastic application of Sauvage by diners several tables away has diminished a few dinners for me, and one memorable bus ride where we all rode in a huge cloud of Dior’s mainstream wonder.

Oh, I should give a dishonorable mention to Alien. Another nuclear weapon, and another one that really threatened to ruin a dinner for me. You know: I do dine out a lot.

Last week while watching football NL-EST in the stadium. One was wearing Santal 33, just irritated me. The one and only scent I know of that I really dislike.
    Other than those cheap AXE stuff you sometimes smell, but I dont count that really.