Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Quorum by Antonio Puig: A Guide to Versions

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Was most likely only familiar with the second and third formula/presentation mentioned, due to first becoming aware of and interested in this fragrance during the early 2000s.

In each of these two latter formulas did happen to get a good performance and minimal differences between these two so far, a fairly easily identifiable powerhouse of the case of each. Perhaps slightly more so in the second, early 2000s version but also acknowledging that the current one remains both strong enough and not really decreasing, diminishing returns in terms of quality either to justify only pursuing the higher priced vintages.

All in all, both the early 2000s 2nd and the post 2010 2rd version were so far, at least personally speaking, quite consistent in terms of performance without any overly regulated/restrictive ban over their individual and less IFRA-compliant notes.

Maybe this might indicate just an untrained nose, but so far, did not detect any rupture in terms of the quality of the second and the third iteration of Quorum presented and described on this thread, while not ruling out either any possibility that the second version first ever tested was already so desensitized and/or flat, linear that any further change could have hardly worsened the later formulations of this one even more.
    I actually think the 3rd version is still a nice fragrance, just too soapy and clean compared to what I'm used to with older versions. This scent used to get compared to being like Antaeus and Polo in a blender, and that's best captured by 2nd edition. 1st edition has the most castoreum and gets closer to something like Polo mixed with One Man Show. I agree, there is no going wrong here, just different vibes for each version.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Öland by Avon

I own first and third Editions and enjoy them both. The first Edition is heavier, deeper more in your face as the latest version and has something from Polo indeed.

Basenotes Junkie

This might be interesting - My bottle is like the Version 1 MKII, but came in the modern style box. The label was short list ingredients and it had a copyright date of 1993. Smells great but a different twist on the other versions.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    I own first and third Editions and enjoy them both. The first Edition is heavier, deeper more in your face as the latest version and has something from Polo indeed.
    I recently added vintage version 1 aftershave to my stash so now I wanna see if there was ever made a shave soap can I can Quorum it up during a shave and top off with vintage EdT.

Quote Originally Posted by rybot View Post
    This might be interesting - My bottle is like the Version 1 MKII, but came in the modern style box. The label was short list ingredients and it had a copyright date of 1993. Smells great but a different twist on the other versions.
    Yeah that sounds like an early 100ml (introduced after 93). Before that there were only 30ml, 50ml, and 125mls. They added the 100ml and phased out the 125mls around the same time they killed off Sybaris (for being a flop - albeit a beautiful-smelling one).

Hello, i have this 30ml Quorum and want to ask if it is realy vintage and from which year, this is my my first bottle and i find the scent very nice.

IMG_2453.jpgIMG_2454.jpgIMG_2455.jpgIMG_2456.jpg

batch code is 9J01

It is vintage, first edition. I am not sure about the year.

@Monsieur Montana
    are you sure ?

@Zealot Crusader
    can you help please too ?

are you sure?

can some body help please?

Quote Originally Posted by Midoh View Post
    are you sure?

I agree with Monsieur Montana that it looks like vintage Quorum. In my experience, a short list of ingredients like that means vintage / pre-ingredient restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I agree with Monsieur Montana that it looks like vintage Quorum. In my experience, a short list of ingredients like that means vintage / pre-ingredient restrictions.
    from which year to which year was produced ? can i know the batch code is 9J01 from which year ?

from which year to which year was produced ? can i know the batch code is 9J01 from which year ?
    That I don't know.

Ultimately it's just trivia, though, right? Like the name of the foreman on shift when it was made?

are you sure?

If I wasn’t I wouldn’t have said that it is.

ok thanks

due to http://www.checkfresh.com and batch code 9J01 it can made in 2019 or 2009 or 1999 or 1989 because the code repeat every 10 years and it can not be 1979 becaue it was produced 1981.
    I think it is from 1989 because 1999 shoukd be other version.
    What you mean?

ok thanks

due to http://www.checkfresh.com and batch code 9J01 it can made in 2019 or 2009 or 1999 or 1989 because the code repeat every 10 years and it can not be 1979 becaue it was produced 1981.
    I think it is from 1989 because 1999 shoukd be other version.
    What you mean?
    Assuming checkfresh is correct, it sounds like a 1989.

Based on what's upthread, 1993 or earlier is a safe guess - it looks like they added "copyright 1993" during that year, including the radar icon thingy - the new logo that was apparently rolled out in 1993.

The caution about flammability could also be part of the 1993 packaging change.

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

As with many cosmetics companies, Puig batch codes recycle every ten years. The 9 indicates the last digit of the year, and the box and bottle designs indicate the first edition, so your batch is from 1989.
    Currently wearing: White Lilac by Mary Chess

@PStoller
    thanks a lot for your help. Do you know if this version was used synthetic or natural ingrediants?
    I like you cat a lot but what kind of cats ?

thanks a lot for your help. Do you know if this version was used synthetic or natural ingrediants?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Synthetics have been used to some degree in mainstream perfumes since Fougère Royale introduced coumarin in 1882, so I wouldn't go down that rabbithole unless you're interested in artisinal makers.

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

As ZC points out, virtually all perfumery involves synthetics, barring a handful of all-natural artisanal perfumers. Quorum was never all-natural; I doubt anything ever produced by Puig was.

My cat is a chinchilla silver Persian of the Dearheart line. His full name is Ginger Baker, but we usually just call him Gin or Gin-gin. Right now, he’s pestering my wife for food.
    Currently wearing: White Lilac by Mary Chess

It's a mix of natural and synthetic ingredients, I believe. The key, I think, is that it's before ingredient restrictions came into effect from people complaining that oak moss, etc. could cause skin irritation.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

ZC , thank you for this fabulous invaluable thread. This is one of my favourite Fragrances of all time. Until now my only guidelines were the PUIG , on bottle with the Mk1 sprayer and Brown paper label on the bottom of the bottle As so many of these are sold on eBay without the boxes ( which are great for dating. This thread is so helpful. 3 years ago inUK You could but 1st vintage edt for £10- £20 for v1 f1 125ml - prices have started to rocket and very little avail.
    I find the Symmetrical Aztec, and the second non symmetrical formulas to be so rich and herby in a very natural way. I smelt a modern tester in retailer and it was headache inducing and horrible like the notes were fighting to get away from each other. I really fuzzy muddle, with no real transition and no pleasant citrus opening nor mossy comfort in latter stages . Does everyone else feel the same?

I have the oakmoss + treemoss version and love it.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandadda19 View Post
    ZC , thank you for this fabulous invaluable thread. This is one of my favourite Fragrances of all time. Until now my only guidelines were the PUIG , on bottle with the Mk1 sprayer and Brown paper label on the bottom of the bottle As so many of these are sold on eBay without the boxes ( which are great for dating. This thread is so helpful. 3 years ago inUK You could but 1st vintage edt for £10- £20 for v1 f1 125ml - prices have started to rocket and very little avail.
    I find the Symmetrical Aztec, and the second non symmetrical formulas to be so rich and herby in a very natural way. I smelt a modern tester in retailer and it was headache inducing and horrible like the notes were fighting to get away from each other. I really fuzzy muddle, with no real transition and no pleasant citrus opening nor mossy comfort in latter stages . Does everyone else feel the same?
    The newest one is oddly soapy. Quorum was never soapy, so for me it is now fundamentally a different scent.

Own the version with brown cap from 2011 but I am almost sure I bought it in 2010 (or even 2009) so must be one of the first then?
    Smells good and lasts quite a while! Never smelled an older version though.....
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Own the version with brown cap from 2011 but I am almost sure I bought it in 2010 (or even 2009) so must be one of the first then?
    Is your sprayer gold?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    When my bottle arrives I'll happily try and throw a sample across the water to you, if you like? It'll be the 'Mk2' 1992-2002 type.
    No guarantees it'd actually reach you but worth a go, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Is your sprayer gold?
    The cap is brown with golden rim in the middle but my sprayer (nozzle) is made of dark brown plastic and not gold colored which should be from 2011 while I bought it for sure earlier.

Like this:
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Attachment 113378
    Version 1 formula MK II 3.4oz/100ml bottles

. . . Earliest bottles read "PUIG" in front, later ones read "Antonio Puig" . . . Box has short ingredients list . . . without "for men" in the labeling, using a gold sprayer head and exposed crimping. . . Castoreum and full oakmoss base are present.
    This is closest description from the original post to the 50-ml bottle I have, which has "for men" on the box, but not on the bottle. The box does not mention the 1993 copyright - I believe it's from before that. It does have the flammability warning.

It is fully animalic in the base in a way that grabs my attention. I start having memories of sampling vintage Aramis JHL, which opens with the kind of animalic that Quorum reaches in the base.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    This is closest description from the original post to the 50-ml bottle I have, which has "for men" on the box, but not on the bottle. The box does not mention the 1993 copyright - I believe it's from before that. It does have the flammability warning.

It is fully animalic in the base in a way that grabs my attention. I start having memories of sampling vintage Aramis JHL, which opens with the kind of animalic that Quorum reaches in the base.
    Sadly I never covered anything smaller than 100mls in my original post, so that's information which could be added in later. Looks like you got the good stuff though. Call it blasphemy but I enjoy this one better than Antaeus or One Man Show, but these days wear it less because I've already worn it to death before I delved deeper into this genre. Glad you're really digging it though! Needs more outspoken fans. Kouros has too many! XD