Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Post Quorum by Antonio Puig: A Guide to Versions

There are a lot of different versions made of the original 1982 Quorum by Antonio Puig, leading to different opinions on the scent. This thread will clarify differences as they appear to be more noticeable between versions than with reformulations/versions of other older masculines. Note: I didn't cover all the sizes, as most conversation concerns the larger bottles, but Quorum has been sold in 30ml, 50ml, 100ml, and 125ml sizes that I've seen. Feel free to reach out if you have info on them!

Version 1 formula (4.2oz/125ml "PUIG" MK I 1982-1992, 4.2oz/125ml + 3.4oz/100ml "Antonio Puig" MK II 1992-2002)

IMG_20191121_141849_832.jpg
    Version 1 formula MK I and MK II 4.2oz/125ml bottles

xRKQhgi.jpg
    Version 1 formula MK II 3.4oz/100ml bottles

Thicker, wider bottles available than some later versions, high-quality brown plastic sprayer button with collar surround for smooth cap seating on 125mls. Earliest bottles read "PUIG" in front, later ones read "Antonio Puig", all variations say "eau de toilette for men" under Quorum in the 125mls. Box has short ingredients list, and sprays are "vapo-matic" on some boxes for 80's bottles. 1993 saw introduction of 100ml bottles without "for men" in the labeling, using a gold sprayer head and exposed crimping. Aftershave also comes as a spray and contains witch hazel as the burn relief. Two box designs. First with gold line across, second with "Quorum" framed in pattern. Castoreum and full oakmoss base are present. Opening is comparable to vintage Chanel Antaeus (1981) but drydown sits closer to Bogart One Man Show (1980), but smoother than both thanks to rounded tobacco/tonka notes and oakmoss. Still a powerhouse, but better blending than later versions. This might be seen as a more gentlemanly alternative to powerhouse competitors, and sat down market from them anyway, so was more grooming-oriented IMO.

Version 2 formula (3.4oz/100ml "Antonio Puig" MK III 2003-2010)

IMG_20191121_141843_130.jpg
    Version 2 formula MK III 3.4oz/100ml bottles

100ml is largest size, caps do not interchange with older 125ml bottles, brass spray button like Version 1 MK II 3.4oz/100ml bottle but is flatter and easily confused with older bottles. Spray puts out less juice and is "all or nothing". A thinner gold line separating "Quorum" and "Eau de Toilette" is introduced. Quantity is listed below "Antonio Puig" on bottle. Box graphics simpler than previous. Aftershave now only comes in a wider splash bottle, burn relief is chemical compound. Long ingredients list. Castoreum has been removed and oakmoss cut with treemoss, the latter per IFRA regulations of the day, the former for taste adjustments. Still mossy, but sharper and greener, less focus on leather, more on pine and tobacco a la Polo. Harsher and louder than older versions but good. Ironically this one is more of a powerhouse than the 80's/90's version of Quorum.

Version 3 formula (3.4oz/100ml "No Brand" MK IV 2011-2019)

IMG_20191121_141845_104.jpg
    Version 3 formula MK IV 3.4oz/100ml bottle

Same bottle as MK III, even cheaper crimp presentation, cap interchanges with MK III bottles but not MK I or MK II. Brown plastic spray head mimicking aesthetic of original editions, but much smaller with deceptively high-output per spray, and easily regulated. Aftershave in same splash bottle as MK III. The brand "Antonio Puig" is completely absent from the bottle as it has been retired by Puig, so only quantity is listed. Box mimics first version with line across middle, but colored like Version.2. As per IFRA 2011 regulations, Puig has decided to remove all oakmoss and go with pure treemoss base, upping the tonka, adding synthetics (likely evernyl) and using a white musk in the base. This is a very clean, soapy, and herbal take on Quorum. Leather and tobacco almost gone, pine prevails. Altogether different dry-down than all prior versions, smells more clearly-synthetic but passable as Quorum.

What are your experiences with various iterations of Quorum? I wanna hear'em!
    Last edited by Zealot Crusader; 24th November 2019 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Updated with findings from other Basenoters for accuracy
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Avon for Men by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Quorum by Antonio Puig: A Guide to Versions

This is quite helpful. I thought my bottle was V.1/MK II, but it turns out it's V.2/MK III. I wasn't crazy about it; might hunt down a V.1 bottle to compare.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    This is quite helpful. I thought my bottle was V.1/MK II, but it turns out it's V.2/MK III. I wasn't crazy about it; might hunt down a V.1 bottle to compare.
    V.1 is rounder and richer thanks to a dollop of castoreum (not as much as vintage OMS or Antaeus) and oakmoss (more than OMS and Antaeus), but the overall "personality" is the same as V.2, just more civil.

Funny how removing an animalic actually makes Quorum more aggressive and not the other way around, but the aromatics left unchecked and with sharper tree/oak hybrid moss really pops the collar and chesthair more on V.2.

Also the witch hazel in the V.1 aftershave also imparts it's own characteristic smell to the profile when used that sets it apart from ALL other versions of Quorum.

I thought the bottle I had was the second version; but looking at your photos, now I'm confused because mine doesn't seem to fit. Perhaps it's because my bottle is only a 30ml?

Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    I thought the bottle I had was the second version; but looking at your photos, now I'm confused because mine doesn't seem to fit. Perhaps it's because my bottle is only a 30ml?

If it has short ingredients on box it's V.1 (MK I, II, III, IV only refers to the large bottles).
    If it has tree/oakmoss listed, V.2
    If just treemoss, V.3

Puig masculines came in 20ml, 30ml, 50ml, 75ml, and 125ml sizes in 80's and 90's. Quorum had a 100ml introduced after 1993.

This dropped to 30ml 50ml and 100ml in the 2000's (minis excluded).

If you don't have the box, lemme see the back. Some bottles printed info back there. Looks like you have V.1 to me.

Wonderful thread, OP - thanks for this.

Nice pic! That'll be a shaving soap behind, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    If it has short ingredients on box it's V.1 (MK I, II, III, IV only refers to the large bottles).
    If it has tree/oakmoss listed, V.2
    If just treemoss, V.3

Puig masculines came in 20ml, 30ml, 50ml, 75ml, and 125ml sizes in 80's and 90's. Quorum had a 100ml introduced after 1993.

This dropped to 30ml 50ml and 100ml in the 2000's (minis excluded).

If you don't have the box, lemme see the back. Some bottles printed info back there. Looks like you have V.1 to me.
    I'm searching for the box - will post a pic soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    ....Nice pic! That'll be a shaving soap behind, right?
    Thanks. And yes sir.

OK, I found the box....

OK, I found the box....

That's second edition. The first one looks different.

That's first edition. Better say was...don't have it anymore...

P1080929.jpg

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

OK, I found the box....

Yep that's 90's (or MK. II if you want) of the original formula. It's the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    That's first edition. Better say was...don't have it anymore...

P1080929.jpg
    I updated the post to include that there was indeed a splash version of the Version 1 aftershave. Thanks for the heads up. Posts like this help improve the accuracy of my findings.

Yep that's 90's (or MK. II if you want) of the original formula. It's the good stuff.
    Thanks. And I agree, it's good stuff!

Basenotes Plus

OK, now, I'm confused. I have a 100ml spray bottle with the type of sprayer indicated as V2/Mk. III. However, this is the box (front and back detail):

QuorBox.jpg

So, what's the scoop?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

OK, now, I'm confused. I have a 100ml spray bottle with the type of sprayer indicated as V2/Mk. III. However, this is the box (front and back detail):

QuorBox.jpg

So, what's the scoop?
    Would need to see the bottle itself to sort out the mystery. Perhaps the newer sprayer type was implemented at the tail end of production on pre-reform bottles? Can edit the OP as need be to be more accurate.

Maybe you should just judge after the box and not the sprayer?
    The box indicates second edition.

Thanks for doing this, ZC. These bottle identification guides are so useful. I have the exact same 30ml Version 1 / MKII bottle as aero above, and it's wonderful.

I'll just repost what I wrote in the other thread, as I don't have anything else to add to that right now, in terms on scent comparison.

The newer version [as of a couple of years before this post] is more spice heavy (cumin in particular), and is warmer, dustier. Performance is at least equivalent, probably better.

Vintage is clearly more green and features a clearer citrus accord in the opening. The same spice profile is present, and there's dry crispy sort of tone, but more "brisk" thanks to the green. Same basic scent, but the focus is just...inverted. The base of vintage is predictably mossier, and this gives it a cooler vibe. Modern leans heavily on dry tobacco and leather in the base.

Their relationship very much reflects the basic differences between modern and vintage Yatagan. That is to say it's by no means castrated...it just focuses on different notes in the absence of a good moss alternative. I think it does a pretty decent job of finding a nice alternative path.

​I notice in your comments, ZC, you mention that leather and tobacco are almost gone in the latest version, which doesn't really align with what I remember. But, I do agree it's "sweeter" overall (you peg that to tonka) - and you note a soapy white musk. I'd go back and resniff to compare with your comments, but I already offloaded that bottle and kept the vintage one.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Maybe you should just judge after the box and not the sprayer?
    The box indicates second edition.
    I was just using sprayer/bottle types for the people who may end up buying used/unboxed items.

I was just using sprayer/bottle types for the people who may end up buying used/unboxed items.
    I see. Good idea.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Thanks for doing this, ZC. These bottle identification guides are so useful. I have the exact same 30ml Version 1 / MKII bottle as aero above, and it's wonderful.

I'll just repost what I wrote in the other thread, as I don't have anything else to add to that right now, in terms on scent comparison.

The newer version [as of a couple of years before this post] is more spice heavy (cumin in particular), and is warmer, dustier. Performance is at least equivalent, probably better.

Vintage is clearly more green and features a clearer citrus accord in the opening. The same spice profile is present, and there's dry crispy sort of tone, but more "brisk" thanks to the green. Same basic scent, but the focus is just...inverted. The base of vintage is predictably mossier, and this gives it a cooler vibe. Modern leans heavily on dry tobacco and leather in the base.

Their relationship very much reflects the basic differences between modern and vintage Yatagan. That is to say it's by no means castrated...it just focuses on different notes in the absence of a good moss alternative. I think it does a pretty decent job of finding a nice alternative path.

​I notice in your comments, ZC, you mention that leather and tobacco are almost gone in the latest version, which doesn't really align with what I remember. But, I do agree it's "sweeter" overall (you peg that to tonka) - and you note a soapy white musk. I'd go back and resniff to compare with your comments, but I already offloaded that bottle and kept the vintage one.
    In summary, the newest formula smells "fougère-ified" and too close to a Paco or Azzaro in finish. The beautiful chypre finish is gone. I lived with Version 2 (IFRA 2002 ruling) for years with no complaints, also at the time I didn't know different either, but the differences between V.1 and V.2 are much slighter than with V.3 and all that came before. V.2 is just a less animalic and more aromatic take. V.3 is not even the same scent profile in the base, or even a good fascimile of it. Modern Oscar, Azzaro, and Paco faired much better in my eyes, and are very wearable. >?

I see. Good idea.
    I'm no Raiders, but with help from you guys, I'm doing what I can!

Basenotes Plus

Would need to see the bottle itself to sort out the mystery. Perhaps the newer sprayer type was implemented at the tail end of production on pre-reform bottles?
    Possibly, or it could be they were using up old boxes post-reform, although I'm not sure that would have been allowed with the old, short ingredients list. In any case, the top front of the bottle is exactly as pictured for V2/Mk. III, with "Antonio Puig" across the bottom front. Unfortunately, I have only the one frame of reference for how it smells, so I couldn't say which formulation it is.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Possibly, or it could be they were using up old boxes post-reform, although I'm not sure that would have been allowed with the old, short ingredients list. In any case, the top front of the bottle is exactly as pictured for V2/Mk. III, with "Antonio Puig" across the bottom front. Unfortunately, I have only the one frame of reference for how it smells, so I couldn't say which formulation it is.
    I ordered the same bottle just now for backup and/or research purposes so it's all good. Does your bottle have a thick or thin gold line between Quorum and Eau de Toilette? My 30% full original V.2 MK III has a thin line similar to V.3 MK IV 100ml shown last.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Very informative and helpful thread.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

User of Toilet Water

Mine has a thick line between 'Quorum' and 'Eau de Toilette' like the 1st version, but the sprayer most resembles the one in V.2, though it isn't the same. The box has a short list of ingredients and perhaps most importantly, has a 1993 copyright.

This is only Quorum I've smelled, but I describe it as piney and aromatic. It certainly has oakmoss and there's something animalic as well.

Currently wearing: Oud Assam by Rania J

Basenotes Plus

Would need to see the bottle itself to sort out the mystery.
    Quorum.jpg
    Last edited by PStoller; 24th November 2019 at 10:55 AM.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    Mine has a thick line between 'Quorum' and 'Eau de Toilette' like the 1st version, but the sprayer most resembles the one in V.2, though it isn't the same. The box has a short list of ingredients and perhaps most importantly, has a 1993 copyright.

This is only Quorum I've smelled, but I describe it as piney and aromatic. It certainly has oakmoss and there's something animalic as well.

This is very useful. Thank you!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

With help of PStoller, Monsieur Montana, and Bangkok Hound, we've solved the mystery of the 90's 100ml bottles. Apparently they had thick gold line under Quorum like the older 4.2s, without "for men" labeling, their own unique box design, short ingredients list, and a gold uncollared sprayer that is taller than the later 2000's bottles. We're still talking pre-2002 no likely no change in formula from the 4.2s sold concurrently with them at the time, but we'll see when I sniff it. Thanks for making this thread better!

A pal of mine at school about 20yrs ago, wore this. Admittedly nabbed it from his older sibling/father!! Rocking Quorum at 15yrs of age. Hormones do funny things to ya!
    Anyway interest has recently peaked in Quorum, only a Matter of time!!
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post

A pal of mine at school about 20yrs ago, wore this. Admittedly nabbed it from his older sibling/father!! Rocking Quorum at 15yrs of age. Hormones do funny things to ya!
    Anyway interest has recently peaked in Quorum, only a Matter of time!!
    I wore my bottle down to 1/3 full in the first 5 years, then recently rediscovered and backed it up, hence the sudden influx of research on it. This is one of the more affordable 80's masculines to acquire as a deep vintage

Was most likely only familiar with the second and third formula/presentation mentioned, due to first becoming aware of and interested in this fragrance during the early 2000s.

In each of these two latter formulas did happen to get a good performance and minimal differences between these two so far, a fairly easily identifiable powerhouse of the case of each. Perhaps slightly more so in the second, early 2000s version but also acknowledging that the current one remains both strong enough and not really decreasing, diminishing returns in terms of quality either to justify only pursuing the higher priced vintages.

All in all, both the early 2000s 2nd and the post 2010 2rd version were so far, at least personally speaking, quite consistent in terms of performance without any overly regulated/restrictive ban over their individual and less IFRA-compliant notes.

Maybe this might indicate just an untrained nose, but so far, did not detect any rupture in terms of the quality of the second and the third iteration of Quorum presented and described on this thread, while not ruling out either any possibility that the second version first ever tested was already so desensitized and/or flat, linear that any further change could have hardly worsened the later formulations of this one even more.
    Currently wearing: Baobab by Tesori d'Oriente