Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Lying about shipping fragrance

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always lie and say its something other than fragrance

34 65.38%
  • I sometimes lie and say its something other than fragrance

3 5.77%
  • I never lie about shipping fragrance, I just ship ground.

15 28.85%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lying about fragrance when shipping

Who does it? Please don't vote if you're in the UK!!

In my experience almost everybody lies and checks that box that says "no fragrances" when shipping, so that package can ship air - or priority - mail. Almost every fragrance I've bought/sold/swapped was sent/received by air or priority, so the shipper had to have lied.

BE HONEST about your white lying, its an anonymous poll!
    Last edited by Diamond Joe; 23rd November 2019 at 07:52 PM.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Lying about fragrance when shipping

I haven't shipped any fragrances to others for about 30 years, but today if I did ship them, I would probably ship them ground.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hednic, (and anyone else) no disrespect intended, but I'm interested in what people do who actually ship fragrances regularly. Not hypothetical.

Please only vote if you have shipped (more than one) fragrances recently!

Basenotes Plus

If I try and ship through my local post office and tell them I’m shipping perfume they refuse to ship it- period. For this reason I obscure the truth

Here in the UK they actually X-Ray parcels but if you just tell them it is in the original box and get the correct label there is no problem.

There is actually an RM building in Belfast(hey we know all about suspicious packages LOL), where they are sent to be destroyed. It's near the docks.

But for many years I did just say used cosmetics, but once at the counter, I was pushed to say exactly what so I said foundation and told no! Had to go to another post office and this time the foundation was allowed to be posted. Now it is impossible to ship outside the UK.

Then after on other groups, people actually had their bottles destroyed and a letter sent to them saying if caught again they would be prosecuted people don't chance it. Oh, we are talking very expensive they were selling.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Eau de Lavande by Diptyque

I'm in California and USPS always prompts you to answer a question on the screen if there's anything hazardous, liquid, fragile, etc.

You just tap 'No' with the pen and that's that! I've been moving perfume for years lol
    (^‿^)

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    If I try and ship through my local post office and tell them I’m shipping perfume they refuse to ship it- period. For this reason I obscure the truth
    Lying about shipping fragrance is not an indictment of anybody's moral character. I'm a very honest, trustworthy, loyal, and fair person - I don't cheat, steal, or lie (about other stuff!) but if the post office is being arbitrarily stupid and refuses to ship my well-packaged fragrance out, well, I'm gonna hide that fact from them so they ship my stuff out like I'm paying them to do. Which is very easy to do:
    Quote Originally Posted by morning light View Post
    USPS always prompts you to answer a question on the screen if there's anything hazardous, liquid, fragile, etc. You just tap 'No' with the pen and that's that! I've been moving perfume for years lol

OK, addendum #2: DON'T ANSWER THIS IF YOU'RE IN THE UK lol.

Shipping fragrance is like high crime over there! and pretty much completely different from the rest of the world. Don't vote if your British you're gonna skew the results. You guys CAN'T lie about shipping fragrance, so this is not a question for you.

I am quite shocked by some of the answers and the callousness in the comments. I work in shipping and logistics and would like to remind everyone, that in the US knowingly tendering hazmat (which is exactly what perfume is - flammable liquid, Class 3) for air transport concealing it and falsifying information on the form is a serious federal offense. We get training on this subject all the time. There are lots of hidden hazardous substances and if you ship them improperly unknowingly you may be subject to civil penalties, but if you knowingly tender hazmat and if you intentionally lie on your shipping form, then that could be a whole different story and I wouldn't recommend anyone do that ever.

Well its certainly interesting to get the perspective of someone who works in shipping and logistics. I have a couple of questions for you Mr/Ms Maksidrom:

Is shipping a well-packaged fragrance really that dangerous? By well packaged, I mean, teflon tape on threads, cap taped on, quadruple wrapped in bubble wrap, etc. How could a *tiny* amount (50-100 milliliters?!?) of fragrance, in a glass bottle, securely packaged, be at all dangerous?

Do people get caught and/or prosecuted for sending fragrances by air? Is it something officials are regularly looking for? What are the penalties? I started this thread because I was honestly curious, after being in this game for several years, almost every single fragrance I've bought has been shipped priority/airmail. I cannot even think of a time when I got a package shipped ground and marked with "hazardous materials".

Anytime i buy from indie houses its never ground shipping either

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Is shipping a well-packaged fragrance really that dangerous? By well packaged, I mean, teflon tape on threads, cap taped on, quadruple wrapped in bubble wrap, etc. How could a *tiny* amount (50-100 milliliters?!?) of fragrance, in a glass bottle, securely packaged, be at all dangerous?
    Good question. Yes, it's "really that dangerous", otherwise these rules or regulations wouldn't exist. A " well packaged" fragrance with proper shipping paperwork can be shipped by air - the packaging must meet DOT/ICAO/IATA packaging standards, must be tested, properly marked and labelled. Sometimes UN-specification packaging may be required. Proper shipping paperwork is a DG Declaration and Waybill, or document from a competent government agency exempting the hazmat from these requirements. Very small quantities (vial/sample size, a couple of ml - they are called excepted quantities) can be shipped without a DG Declaration and UN specified packaging, but must still have special marking and must be clearly declared as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Do people get caught and/or prosecuted for sending fragrances by air? Is it something officials are regularly looking for? What are the penalties? I started this thread because I was honestly curious, after being in this game for several years, almost every single fragrance I've bought has been shipped priority/airmail. I cannot even think of a time when I got a package shipped ground and marked with "hazardous materials".
    I am not FBI, DOT or TSA, so I am not going to quote specific cases, but I personally do know of people being questioned and investigated over shipping by air transport something that they thought was very mundane and harmless. Yes, officials are looking for violations and penalties are applied per instance, i.e. each single violation in each case of shipping improperly. Not cumulative, not one time, but for each instance. Trust me, if it's a repeated violation and if they can prove that you've been doing it knowingly - you are not gonna get just a simple slap on your wrist. I can't speak for individuals, but all fragrances I have ordered from Sephora or Fragrancenet were shipped by ground. You can ship them by air (Fedex, UPS, etc), but you can't ship them via USPS or regular postal airmail (they are just not equipped for that) and they have to have special packaging and checks.

I don't know where to look up UK penalities, but US penalties are listed in CFR 49.

https://www.lion.com/lion-news/may-2...tal-violations

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I have always told them it's perfume. I refuse to lie. Once the government makes me lie, I am no longer truly free. Leaving, accepting, rebelling are my options.

I really like those little yes/no gadgets. Why? Sometimes people behind the desk would ship my perfumes by air because they were lazy or it was just samples (regs are complicated on small samples by air). If I say yes, it's ground for sure.

Yes, a few times, years ago, employees at the Post Office refused my package. Twice, they let me do things (mark the package ORM-D, repack from Priority [must be air] to plain brown [ground]) and it shipped. Very logical - I learned the rules on marking and packaging and accepted the need for ground shipping. I was meticulous. But once they simply refused a valid package - so I walked out, called Washington (multiple officials, USPS and DOT) from my car, and brought up all the regulations on my laptop, based on what they told me. Called back and got them to say YES the local office must take this package as described. Went back in with the bloody web pages running on my computer, called out the manager, showed him the emails and pages, and made them ship it, after I reboxed it to meet and exceed every minor regulation, which even most stores don't do, and the people at the post office didn't know. There are bagging and absorbency requirements that most folks ignore or fudge.

I also had a package returned from Canada years ago, so I don't ship overseas.

Most people aren't willing to be as big of an asshole as me. But now all the people at that office are well-trained and just make it go ground. Never had a problem after that.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    Anytime i buy from indie houses its never ground shipping either
    I've gotten 100 mL glass bottles air-mailed in boxes, stuffed into the thinnest of bubble mailers, with no padding. Once got a glass bottle, bare, in a manilla envelope, by air. Scary!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Ground shipping is pretty fast these days. A decade ago 7-10 days coast-to-coast was likely, but nowadays, under a week is typical maximum, and 3-4 days more likely for most shipments to most places. Fast shipping is a norm, and essential for reputation, big or small.

Basenotes Plus

I do understand hazmat regulations pertaining to transportation of flammable materials by air. What I don’t understand is why the rules don’t similarly apply to inflight services. Airlines still serve alcoholic (flammable) drinks and sell fragrances (flammable) on commercial flights.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by morning light View Post
    I'm in California and USPS always prompts you to answer a question on the screen if there's anything hazardous, liquid, fragile, etc.

You just tap 'No' with the pen and that's that! I've been moving perfume for years lol
    Exactly. Never had a problem once in all of my years sending out bottles, decants, samples.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I always have in the past, but recently got a bit paranoid when moving internationally so only packed them in my suitcase rather than breaching regulations and mailing them. Meant I left half my collection behind to pick up some other time.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    What I don’t understand is why the rules don’t similarly apply to inflight services. Airlines still serve alcoholic (flammable) drinks and sell fragrances (flammable) on commercial flights.
    I've always wondered about that too!

Liquor has as high (or higher) alcohol content as perfume, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

I believe it applies only to flammable liquids stored in the hold. Something to do with the presence of unstable batteries (i.e. for mobile phones), IIRC?

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

To make a very long story short: this has to do with chain of custody, accessibility, stowage, loading and compatibility.
    Air passengers enjoy certain exemptions for their hazmat items (they are still hazardous, btw, nothing has changed) in their baggage, carry-on or check-in, which are not extended to cargo tendered for air transportation or commerce.

As we all know, these exemptions or privileges can be removed at any time. Government giveth and Government taketh away.

Only when shipping to some countries in Europe and always when shipping to countries outside EU, do I have to fill out a form including a question about content of the parcel. I usually write 'glassware'. Never had a problem, must have shipped and received hundreds of parcels.
    I'm not from England, btw.

Blog Entries

I declare the contents and ship by USPS ground to 48 contiguous states only.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I do understand hazmat regulations pertaining to transportation of flammable materials by air. What I don’t understand is why the rules don’t similarly apply to inflight services. Airlines still serve alcoholic (flammable) drinks and sell fragrances (flammable) on commercial flights.
    Until knowing a reasonable reason I call this hypocrisy.

I always put "cosmetics" on the declaration.
    Currently wearing: Duel by Annick Goutal

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    You are not lying. Why make things complicated?

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    I forgot, I do this too.

Is there anything more flammable than jet fuel?
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

What I find puzzling is that many internet discounters always ship perfume either by priority mail or without anything on the label to indicate ground shipping. Some of these are stores that everyone here knows about and they must be doing huge volumes of shipping. So I ask myself, do they have a special deal with USPS that makes them exempt from the rules that mere mortals have to adhere to, or else they knowingly violate the postal code. Someone in their shipping departments must know that with penalties for shipping hazmat being so high, a few repeated violations could easily make them go bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by fjord View Post
    What I find puzzling is that many internet discounters always ship perfume either by priority mail or without anything on the label to indicate ground shipping. Some of these are stores that everyone here knows about and they must be doing huge volumes of shipping. So I ask myself, do they have a special deal with USPS that makes them exempt from the rules that mere mortals have to adhere to, or else they knowingly violate the postal code. Someone in their shipping departments must know that with penalties for shipping hazmat being so high, a few repeated violations could easily make them go bankrupt.
    In short, the answer is yes...

I asked this exact question to a USPS worker who stated that there are companies that have contracts that bear some “exclusivity” with the USPS. I don’t understand it, because it isn’t like they’re sending their fragrances in leak-proof packaging... In fact, I’d say that I pack items sent better than the companies we’re talking about.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa