Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What should I do with a real bottle with fake fragrance?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Throw it away

30 90.91%
  • Sell it

1 3.03%
  • Give it away

3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Default A dilemma on what to do with fakes...

I purchased a fake fragrance a few months ago, and while I received a full refund, I still have the bottle.

I'm slowly whittling away what I own and the time has come to get rid of it. However, I'm fairly certain the bottle itself is genuine/real, and it's merely been refilled with generic gunk. I've received a fake bottle of the same - it's an Armani Prive - and the difference was noticeable. This bottle is, I'm fairly certain, genuine, and having owned another bottle in the same line, I'm about 80% confident of that.

So what should I do? Should I throw it, sell it, or give it away?

My worries are this:

- Throwing it away is both ecologically wasteful, damaging, and a waste of the craft that has gone in to the bottle. I'd rather a collector has a chance of owning the bottle, if not the fragrance.

- Selling it opens the prospect of this falling back in to the fraudulent hands. If I sell it on ebay it's almost certainly going to be re-sold as real and/or refilled again.

- Giving it away also raises issues with the aforementioned, about it possibly going back in to the market as 'real' and hurting someone.

Anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone been faced with a similar dilemma?
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Default Re: A dilemma on what to do with fakes...

As long as the buyer knows your suspicious of its provenence why not sell it?

As mentioned, the likelihood of it being bought by someone with fraudulent intentions who will sell it on at the cost of the real thing.

a quarter million, tops

I totally get it. You can sell it with the caveat that you think it is fake, but I'd be hesitant. That is just putting another fake back into the market. That would be functionally the same as sending that bottle back to be resold. I feel like the refund with no return shipping is with the understanding that that bottle will be destroyed, sort of an unspoken social contract type thing. You could choose to keep it and refill it with some of the real fragrance from a split, hence restoring it to some semblance of the original state, or throw it away. Those would be the more honorable choices to me.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

So in total you bought and received 2 fakes:

• One is a real bottle but fake content
    • The other one is a fake bottle with fake content

Correct? Is the first (real) one empty?

Would most likely throw them away (hence the vote/recommendation), without even considering either selling or gifting
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

I never understood why people sell empty bottles on ebay. Its like, do you want to help somebody get scammed with a fake fragrance??
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Missing Oakmoss

I would dispose of the fake bottle at your city's recycling center (or drive to a location that has such a center, if yours doesn't). That way, the bottle wouldn't go into a landfill or fall into the wrong hands - and it would be put to good use in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Lux'eau View Post
    So in total you bought and received 2 fakes:

• One is a real bottle but fake content
    • The other one is a fake bottle with fake content

Correct? Is the first (real) one empty?
    Haha - this is where it gets complex. They were drop shipping half the order...honestly the guy was the most stupid fraud I think I've encountered in my life. Based overseas, he decided to advertise 3 bottles, which he didn't have...to cut a long story short, he ended up buying a fake that was for sale in the UK and had it posted directly to me...but he paid £100 for it...! Crazy, totally crazy. The two I received directly from him were both different.

I ended with 3 different bottles of the same fragrance. Not just minor differences, size differences as well - two were very obvious fakes, and one which is real (I assume it's real, as I say). They were all filled with different fake versions - the two obvious fake ones had this disgusting generic stuff I've received from time to time - it smells like paint thinner. The other one - the real bottle - smells like the real thing from the outside, and for the first 10 seconds smelled real as well...but then quickly became apparent it was something disgusting. In under 30 seconds it had the same paint thinner smell.

They were all full. 2 of them have been disposed of but I still have what I believe is the real bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I would dispose of the fake bottle at your city's recycling center (or drive to a location that has such a center, if yours doesn't). That way, the bottle wouldn't go into a landfill or fall into the wrong hands - and it would be put to good use in some form.
    I wish I had the peace of mind that recycling brings, but I studied it far too closely as part of a largely unconnected degree and found it to be the most depressing and misleading industry. In terms of local council recycling, there's almost nothing in the bottle that wouldn't go to landfill. Even the cardboard box gets incinerated.

Turn it into a mini flamethrower.
    Currently wearing: Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Use it as a bathroom air freshener.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It depends: is it junk: throw it away! Is it rather nice but not what you expected: give it away, or sell it!

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    - Throwing it away is both ecologically wasteful, damaging, and a waste
    How big is the bottle? They don't always have to be a waste.

I wish I had the peace of mind that recycling brings, but I studied it far too closely as part of a largely unconnected degree and found it to be the most depressing and misleading industry. In terms of local council recycling, there's almost nothing in the bottle that wouldn't go to landfill.
    It seems we should presume that you face this same dilemma concerning throwing out any item made of glass or plastic?
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo
    Currently wearing: Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Sorry, I don't know you but I have to ask. Are you neurotic or have OCD?

I only ask because it doesn't matter what you decide there will be a consequence. You're not living in a vacuum.

Only someone who has one of the aforementioned conditions would fail to realise this.

Yea, I wouldn't put it this way myself, but it's sort of what I was getting at. OP's inquiry---presuming it's serious---if indicating a general type of psychological approach to daily life would lead to an existential paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

I only ask because it doesn't matter what you decide there will be a consequence. You're not living in a vacuum.

Only someone who has one of the aforementioned conditions would fail to realise this.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo
    Currently wearing: Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Use it as a bathroom air freshener.
    Good idea. When the bottle is empty again, break it , wrap it properly and discard as recycle garbage (glass).
    Currently wearing: cK one by Calvin Klein

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    How big is the bottle? They don't always have to be a waste.

This is another good idea. I have some bottles I think about using this way when empty (read: next life).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    It seems we should presume that you face this same dilemma concerning throwing out any item made of glass or plastic?
    Not for food-safe glass products. It's an Armani Prive so the glass is non-recyclable. I could smash up the plastic and metal part of the atomiser sprayer to try and separate them, but that's about it. I'm also not sure how much metal is actually in the metal, and whether it isn't some form of non-recyclable plastic as well...

As for air freshner comments...I think it's important to note the liquid in the bottle is totally unsafe to spray. As I said, it smells like paint thinner...not something I'm going to be putting in to atmosphere, let alone my lungs.

Nope, but I probably do have some obsessive traits - I don't doubt that many on this site would qualify for some sort of diagnosis when it comes to collecting and buying.

I do genuinely try and consume as little as possible and have been eco-conscious long before it became cool to pretend be for online likes.

But it raises a wider point and was interesting to see if others have ran in to this problem, and to see whether there's a demand for a bottle among collectors even if the fragrance inside is fake.

As for your point about OCD which comes across more than a little disrespectful, it's all a matter of perspective. There does seem a trend on this site that people aren't willing to consider the consequences of their actions when buying fragrances - a totaly frivolous and wasteful endeavour in the grand scheme of things. Rather than OCD, it simply is what it is - it's not just branding or bluster to say that the current social and consumptive norms in most of the world are temporary, and a glib attitude to throwing things away might be normal to you, but it's not to me.

- Air freshener, especially after cooking whilst you are not in that part of the house.
    - You can also spray a few spritzes (or a one or two drops if it's attar) on some cheap incenses to make them a bit different.
    - Spray the basin after weekly cleaning.
    I did all those things with a genuine Abdul Samad Al Qurashi attar as it was loaded with obnoxious woody and musky stuffs!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    This, no contribution to a fake making it’s way back on the market and safely disposing it.

As for air freshner comments...I think it's important to note the liquid in the bottle is totally unsafe to spray. As I said, it smells like paint thinner...not something I'm going to be putting in to atmosphere, let alone my lungs.
    Use it for cleaning the bathroom, the floor, the car...

... I tried...

Missing Oakmoss

After wrapping the bottle in a pillowcase or large handkerchief for your safety, smash it to smithereens with a hammer and use the shards as a decorative base for aquatic plants or false flowers.

Nope, but I probably do have some obsessive traits - I don't doubt that many on this site would qualify for some sort of diagnosis when it comes to collecting and buying.

I do genuinely try and consume as little as possible and have been eco-conscious long before it became cool to pretend be for online likes.

But it raises a wider point and was interesting to see if others have ran in to this problem, and to see whether there's a demand for a bottle among collectors even if the fragrance inside is fake.

As for your point about OCD which comes across more than a little disrespectful, it's all a matter of perspective. There does seem a trend on this site that people aren't willing to consider the consequences of their actions when buying fragrances - a totaly frivolous and wasteful endeavour in the grand scheme of things. Rather than OCD, it simply is what it is - it's not just branding or bluster to say that the current social and consumptive norms in most of the world are temporary, and a glib attitude to throwing things away might be normal to you, but it's not to me.
    And what is disrespectful about asking such a question, when you have clearly exhibited such behaviour in this thread?

You seem to forget that, even before owning this bottle, there were environmental consequences to it being produced. Whatever you decide to do with the bottle now will bear other environmental consequences. Based on your beliefs, there is no ideal solution.

Going by your posts, the obvious answer would be to either sell it to a bottle collector or donate it to charity. There's no need to start a thread about something that simply requires compromise and common sense. And if it wasn't for your post count, I would have deemed you as a troll.

Btw, if fragrance collecting is such a "totally frivolous and wasteful endeavour", why are you even here?

Sorry but there's an elephant in the room and someone has to point it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    Yea, I wouldn't put it this way myself, but it's sort of what I was getting at. OP's inquiry---presuming it's serious---if indicating a general type of psychological approach to daily life would lead to an existential paralysis.
    Sometimes, it's better to address the issue head-on than tip-toeing to such an extent that the true message goes over the recipient's head.

But you're asking potentially less knowledgeable Basenoters to solve your environmental-related dilemma?

I'm sorry but, with all the contradictions in your posts, you've completely lost me...

Basenotes Plus

Since there are likely negative consequences to passing it on, I would repurpose it if possible—a bud vase, perhaps—or recycle it if not.

FYI, I've only ever purchased one empty, because it was a nicer bottle than what I had for legit fragrance I owned. There are bottle collectors out there, so not every potential buyer is a scam artist, but the possibility is obviously high. You might reduce that possibility by offering it for sale or free to a good home here on BN.
    Currently wearing: Indiscret by Lucien Lelong

But you're asking potentially less knowledgeable Basenoters to solve your environmental-related dilemma?

I'm sorry but, with all the contradictions in your posts, you've completely lost me...
    That much is evident. The rest...probably best worth keeping to yourself.