Code of Conduct
o

Question Rien & Rien Intense Incense are the same scent (opinion)

I'm a huge ELDO fan, I own at least half of their line, and wear them all regularly.

Rien is not an easy scent to wear, not unlike its (assumed) inspiration, Bandit. But I still try. When Rien Intense was released, I was excited to see what they could possibly do to make the original more intense.

After owning both for a while, and not really noticing much difference between the two, aside from some possible "smoothness" differences, I decided to do a thoroughly unscientific test of spraying both on different blotters to look for differences at leisure.

There is no difference to my nose. And ironically, I don't smell incense in either.

The question is - would the "bad boy" of perfumery release the same scent with different names just for a laugh? History would say yes, as scents like Malaise of the 70s is a repackaged Sex Pistols, Remarkable People a repackaging of Josephine Baker, and Yes I Do, a repackaging of Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow.

Listed notes on ELDO's US site:

RIEN - Incense, rose, leather, orris, cistus, oakmoss, patchouli, amber, cumin, black pepper, aldehydes

RII - Incense, rose, leather, iris, rockrose, oakmoss, pyrogenic styrax, patchouli, amber, caraway, black pepper, aldehydes

Thoughts? Do you have a preference?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Rien & Rien Intense Incense are the same scent (opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Thoughts? Do you have a preference?
    To my nose they smell different. The Intense I find to be sharper and more potent and as a result, as owner of both, prefer the Intense.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

l tried them side by side, & l agree. After the first half hour, l found no real difference between the two in scent or intensity. And l detected no incense, either.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I find them different at the beginning. The incense intense has something dry and sharp, as hednic noticed, and I take hat to be some incense. But it’s true that it is difficult to detect anything above he super intense musky leather recreation that dominates the scent. And to me they are close enough as to be near perfect substitutes.

Basenotes Plus

2 different scents to my nose.
    Prefer the original.
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Torc/Argentium Halo De Lune
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Tzar
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/Symphonium
    7.Al-Khatt/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic
    10.Dhajala/Cuir Intense/Begum

They smell the same to me.

Basenotes Member

I find the intense also more potent and full bodied. Also my preference.

Rien II has a lot of incense to my nose. The dry down seems to smell the same as Rien, but the opening of Rien II is dominated by a dry and bold incense.

I wouldn't put it past ELDO to create a flanker exactly the same. Calling it something else may be auto-suggestive to human brains, i.e. if we expect a different smell, our brains perceive one.

ELDO might be making a small stand against all these money grabbing so called 'flankers' by other bigger houses, which are mainly produced for brand loyalty reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I wouldn't put it past ELDO to create a flanker exactly the same. Calling it something else may be auto-suggestive to human brains, i.e. if we expect a different smell, our brains perceive one.

ELDO might be making a small stand against all these money grabbing so called 'flankers' by other bigger houses, which are mainly produced for brand loyalty reasons
    I wouldn't put it past them.

Interesting to hear everyone's perception - too bad I don't have the machinery to confirm.

I found little difference between the two myself

I own both and sure they are different. Not completely different, but like close flankers.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    I own both and sure they are different. Not completely different, but like close flankers.
    What do you find different about them?