Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default 70s/80s fragrances that AREN'T: powdery, cinnamon, etc

I dislike so much stuff from the 70s and 80s. Powdery musk stuff like Stetson, Pierre Cardin and Paul Sebastian not my bag.
    Cinnamon and clove dominant fragrances like Pancaldi make my uncomfortable.
    Orientals or oriental hybrids like Lapidus and Brut are way too heavy/sweet and cloying. Same goes for Obsession.
    Jacomo de Jacomo and Santos are super dry, like charcoal and smoke.
    Armani Eau Pour Homme and Eau de Sauvage are too safe and basic in my opinion.

The porridge is either too hot or too cold it seems. But I have found some gems.
    Ralph Lauren Polo is great despite being hard to wear. Very rugged. Drakkar Noir is a classic, leather jacket-type of fragrance.I think Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is my favorite though. Very conspicuous but I think most people would agree that it smells nice on its own.
    Even stuff like Quorum has me learning to appreciate it. Lacoste Original is good but I already have Gillette Cool Wave which is a longer lasting and more refined take.

It's fun finding an old school scent that you really like. It can make you nostalgic for an era that you didn't get a chance to live it up in. Which is why I enjoy the collecting aspect of this hobby. But when something gets discontinued and prices skyrocket the collector side of me gets jealous and starts hyping up a fragrance that I've never actually tried. I should of got Tsar when I had the chance! Now it's gone! They say it's like Polo and Drakkar Noir combined! Dammit!
    Well I got Tsar and I'm not too happy with it.
    I bought Jeff Gordon Z-14 and I think I might actually prefer the reformulated Oakmoss-less version.
    It's been more miss than hit with blind buys so I should probably avoid them, but now with Yatagan being a pricey unicorn, I feel like I missed out on something great and interesting. Same for VC&A Pour Homme. It was like Trussardi Uomo, and I kind of like that one.
    Prince Machiavelli for Men was my one great blind buy and I got it for $5! Not a rugged masculine smell, and it leans more 70s than 80s with the florals but I think it stops short of going into Jovan Musk territory.

While these oldies are still available I'm wondering if any of them are worth blind buying considering my preferences:

Open by Roger & Gallet
    Oscar Pour Lui
    Bowling Green
    Guerlain Vetiver
    One Man Show
    Bogart for Men

Thanks!

Default Re: 70s/80s fragrances that AREN'T: powdery, cinnamon, etc

Seems like you're into fougeres. Just peruse this dude's blog, it's probably the best compendium of fougere knowledge on the internets:

https://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps Sagamore by Lancome might be worth a try.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Sounds like you should just buy recent releases, especially considering how so many reformulations were done badly and my guess is that you don't want to go on "vintage hunts" and pay top dollar.

He mentioned POLO. That's all you need.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Azzaro pour Homme (1978)
    Eau de Campagne (1974)
    Eau de Guerlain (1974)
    Équipage (1970)
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme (1978)
    Yatagan (1976)

Ambre Précieux (1988)
    Antaeus (1981)
    Bel Ami (1986)
    Derby (1985)
    Eau d'Hadrien (1981)
    Furyo (1988)
    New-York (1989) [Nicolaï]
    Le 3ème Homme (1985)
    Or Black (1982)
    Versace l'Homme (1984)
    Zino Davidoff (1986)

It's easier search in the 90's.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Basenotes Plus

Hmm,

Dior Fahrenheit maybe?

I can't understand why anyone would dislike powdery, cinnamon, lightly sweet ambery scents. They are some of the best fragrances ever made. And many were made well before the 1980's and even some fantastic ones made within the last 15 years, especially in the 'powdery' category. I consider this genre a significant portion of my fragrance wardrobe. Perhaps you're just burned-out on the genre (got tired of it)? That's why I space out my scents across seasons and carefully try to avoid over-using any genre beyond a season (unless it's so good that it never gets old for me).
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Freed from BN Institution

Although it's not from the 1970s/1980s I'd suggest giving Mousse Illuminee from Rogue Perfumery a go. It has a very dated feel to it, affordable too.

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...nee-53821.html
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I can't understand why anyone would dislike powdery, cinnamon, lightly sweet ambery scents. They are some of the best fragrances ever made.
    Personal taste is just that. Nobody is obligated to like or dislike anything. No doubt you hate some frags that would mystify people who like them.

I’m more puzzled that the OP wants to find ‘70s–‘80s scents when they already know they dislike the dominant aesthetics of the era. But, I guess that’s like me wanting to find a Creed I like when I know I’ve disliked every Creed scent I’ve tried so far. People are weird; I’m one of them. Ah, well.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Also adding Drakkar (not Noir, but the less known 70s first release), Roger & Gallet l'Homme, Gucci Nobile, Loewe para Hombre, Caractere by Daniel Hechter, Marbert Man (not to be confused with the more Lapidus and Guerlain style leathery powdery floral beast mode Marbert Homme by the same house)-
    powdery notes being either absent or kept within reasonable boundaries to a minimum in these

among further options from that age worth considering: One Man Show, Bogart Signature, Versace l'Homme, YSL pour Homme Concentree, Lomani, Dunhill Edition

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post

I’m more puzzled that the OP wants to find ‘70s–‘80s scents when they already know they dislike the dominant aesthetics of the era. But, I guess that’s like me wanting to find a Creed I like when I know I’ve disliked every Creed scent I’ve tried so far. People are weird; I’m one of them. Ah, well.
    I think there's quite a few individuals who dislike Creed all together, think of some silver linings behind it like more funds to invest elsewhere.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I think there's quite a few individuals who dislike Creed all together.
    Oh, sure, and some for reasons beyond the actual fragrances. But, my point was that I perceive a value in finding something I like in a category I don’t (thus far). There’s no right or wrong about that, but I would understand someone else scratching their head over it.

Basenotes Plus

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain Heritage EDT/EDP
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Jacques Bogart “Signature”
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT, also try the EDP same as Concentree basically!

Chanel Egoiste - beginning of the 90’s but smells of a time earlier pure class.

Chanel Anteaus - too good not to appreciate be hard pressed not to like it.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Houbigant Duc de Vervins. Released as limited production in 1985, wider release in 1991, so still counts!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

Caron - Third Man.
    Feels of that era. Son and proud inheritor of the mantle of Eau Sauvage. The drydown is so classy and French. Gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Houbigant Duc de Vervins. Released as limited production in 1985, wider release in 1991, so still counts!

Plus the L'Extreme version of this one, niche quality and performance at mostly designer tier (albeit the upper end, nearing exclusive lines/vintage designer) prices

Halston Z-14 was a killer in the day. Brings back memories

If u like Paco RABANNE and polo green , try Devin Aramis , it smells very similar to polo , Tsar Van CLEEF , Tuscony Aramis , Azzaro PH, Jazz ysl..pasha Cartier , safari polo all hang around the same ally
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Have u tried aramis for men very classy aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I dislike so much stuff from the 70s and 80s. Powdery musk stuff like Stetson, Pierre Cardin and Paul Sebastian not my bag.
    Orientals or oriental hybrids like Lapidus and Brut are way too heavy/sweet and cloying. Same goes for Obsession.

The porridge is either too hot or too cold it seems. But I have found some gems.
    Ralph Lauren Polo is great despite being hard to wear. Very rugged. Drakkar Noir is a classic, leather jacket-type of fragrance.I think Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is my favorite though. Very conspicuous but I think most people would agree that it smells nice on its own.
    Even stuff like Quorum has me learning to appreciate it. Lacoste Original is good but I already have Gillette Cool Wave which is a longer lasting and more refined take.

It's fun finding an old school scent that you really like. It can make you nostalgic for an era that you didn't get a chance to live it up in. Which is why I enjoy the collecting aspect of this hobby. But when something gets discontinued and prices skyrocket the collector side of me gets jealous and starts hyping up a fragrance that I've never actually tried. I should of got Tsar when I had the chance! Now it's gone! They say it's like Polo and Drakkar Noir combined! Dammit!
    I bought Jeff Gordon Z-14 and I think I might actually prefer the reformulated Oakmoss-less version.
    It's been more miss than hit with blind buys so I should probably avoid them, but now with Yatagan being a pricey unicorn, I feel like I missed out on something great and interesting. Same for VC&A Pour Homme. It was like Trussardi Uomo, and I kind of like that one.
    Prince Machiavelli for Men was my one great blind buy and I got it for $5! Not a rugged masculine smell, and it leans more 70s than 80s with the florals but I think it stops short of going into Jovan Musk territory.

While these oldies are still available I'm wondering if any of them are worth blind buying considering my preferences:

Open by Roger & Gallet
    Oscar Pour Lui
    Bowling Green
    Guerlain Vetiver
    One Man Show
    Bogart for Men

Thanks!
    Which version of Tsar u end up geting? The best one is Original and 3rd

Open by Roger & Gallet
    Oscar Pour Lui
    Bowling Green
    Guerlain Vetiver
    One Man Show
    Bogart for Men

Thanks!
    I think the available versions of the last three should be fine.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Plus the L'Extreme version of this one, niche quality and performance at mostly designer tier (albeit the upper end, nearing exclusive lines/vintage designer) prices
    You're absolutely right!

Quote Originally Posted by Democritus View Post
    I think the available versions of the last three should be fine.
    Just wanted to say it's nice to see ya around!

Try Davidoff by Davidoff. I wouldn't recommend Egoiste as much I'm a fan of it, OP didn't want cinnamon. Think Furyo might also not suit the OP.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Hmm,

Dior Fahrenheit maybe?
    I have it and it's a fantastic scent but I associate it with the early 2000s as that's when I first encountered it in department stores. And either way, it's always had a "ahead of it's time" style to it, IMO. Very artistic.

I can't understand why anyone would dislike powdery, cinnamon, lightly sweet ambery scents. They are some of the best fragrances ever made. And many were made well before the 1980's and even some fantastic ones made within the last 15 years, especially in the 'powdery' category. I consider this genre a significant portion of my fragrance wardrobe. Perhaps you're just burned-out on the genre (got tired of it)? That's why I space out my scents across seasons and carefully try to avoid over-using any genre beyond a season (unless it's so good that it never gets old for me).
    For me, I just have no nostalgic point-of-reference for those types of fragrances. As a kid I remember my dad wearing scents like Drakkar Noir, Trussardi Uomo and Eternity, along with whatever aftershaves he had like Brut, so to me that was the smell of the 80s.
    As far as 70s go, some of the fragrances from that era smell like antecedents to what came in the 80s which is why I like them and they still transport me back to my time as a kid. Plus, I'm starting to dig the whole era of the 70s as well.
    I only started discovering powdery or cinnamon/clove based scents when I started getting into fragrances a few years ago, with the exception of a bottle of Obsession my girlfriend got me in like 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    My idea of what fragrances of that era were like don't match up with the reality of it, so yeah, it's pretty weird. But finding what constitutes as a hidden gem for me is very rewarding.

Basenotes Plus

My idea of what fragrances of that era were like don't match up with the reality of it, so yeah, it's pretty weird. But finding what constitutes as a hidden gem for me is very rewarding.
    Well, I can relate to that last part, and I certainly hope you find it!

Lauder for Men-1985- Green Aromatic Fougere that I used to love.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th November 2019 at 03:13 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Louder for Men-1985- Green Aromatic Fougere that I used to love.
    Everything Lauder than Everyone Else.

Blog Entries

If you like Bowling Green, I'd consider Boucheron pH EDP. The verbena note in the opening is to die for! It's as good as GIT's. It settles down nicely, and nothing powdery, or sweet.

Some others to consider that might suit your taste:
    Bottega Veneta Extreme
    Prada Amber Intense
    Tom Ford Noir Anthracite
    Pasha de Cartier
    Loewe Esencia
    Azzaro pH
    Mugler Cologne

All of these different from the next, and seem to match your taste. I think the Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, it's one of the few better quality recent releases that takes it back old school. Has killer performance too. also heard it was already discontinued months ago, so not sure what the prices suggest now.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones154 View Post
    Which version of Tsar u end up geting? The best one is Original and 3rd
    I have the third one.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Try Davidoff by Davidoff. I wouldn't recommend Egoiste as much I'm a fan of it, OP didn't want cinnamon. Think Furyo might also not suit the OP.
    I remember something warm about Egoiste that I didn't like and I think it was a cinnamon note.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Azzaro pour Homme (1978)
    Eau de Campagne (1974)
    Eau de Guerlain (1974)
    Équipage (1970)
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme (1978)
    Yatagan (1976)

Ambre Précieux (1988)
    Antaeus (1981)
    Bel Ami (1986)
    Derby (1985)
    Eau d'Hadrien (1981)
    Furyo (1988)
    New-York (1989) [Nicolaï]
    Le 3ème Homme (1985)
    Or Black (1982)
    Versace l'Homme (1984)
    Zino Davidoff (1986)
    Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately I don't have the budget for the Carons and the VC&As. Or any discontinued vintage.
    Antaeus was pretty overpowering and perfumey but I remember liking it better than Kouros. I'll definitely revisit it. Versace l'Homme is similar to Aramni Eau Pour Homme right?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    If you like Bowling Green, I'd consider Boucheron pH EDP. The verbena note in the opening is to die for! It's as good as GIT's. It settles down nicely, and nothing powdery, or sweet.

Some others to consider that might suit your taste:
    Bottega Veneta Extreme
    Prada Amber Intense
    Tom Ford Noir Anthracite
    Pasha de Cartier
    Loewe Esencia
    Azzaro pH
    Mugler Cologne

All of these different from the next, and seem to match your taste. I think the Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, it's one of the few better quality recent releases that takes it back old school. Has killer performance too. also heard it was already discontinued months ago, so not sure what the prices suggest now.
    Pasha de Cartier is great! A little too much when I first tried it, but later I found out the dry down was fantastic. And very nostalgic. Despite being a 90s entry it smells very 80s to me.
    Tom Ford Noir Anthracite is another homage to the Power House era. It's pretty gross in the middle. It's got this ugly/beautiful thing going on though.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'm gong to check the reviews and note pyramid for each of these and see what's available and within my budget.