Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Electric Toothbrushes

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    A recent commercial makes me wonder what the credentials are to be approved by the ADA. Apparently Oral B is the only electric toothbrush to receive such recognition. This designation, I suppose, may not be promoted or packaged outside of the U.S. though.
    I think the commercial may have been misleading.
    Here is the ADA's seal of acceptance listing.
    https://www.ada.org/en/science-resea...rush+-+Powered

Oddly enough, the ADA seems to be saying in the powered toothbrush section at the link below that both powered and manual toothbrushes are fine (implication - no great advantage either way).
    https://www.ada.org/en/member-center...s/toothbrushes

All I know was that for decades I used manual toothbrushes and an Oral B 2D toothbrush and picksters, and every six months I'd have to get my teeth cleaned by a dentist. About seven years ago my Oral B 2D brush died. I replaced it with an Oral B 3D brush, and I haven't needed my teeth to be cleaned by a dentist since. They have said my teeth are fine, and don't need cleaning - the 3D Oral B was plainly more effective for me.

That said, the studies referenced at the Healthline site don't show as great an improvement as I perceived.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/de...rush-vs-manual

Cheers,
    Renato

Hmmm. Thanks for the clarification. There must have been some pesky fine print at the bottom of the commercial.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Plus

As someone whose had to go through a LOT of repair on my teeth and gums....I prefer the Sonicare.

After I was taught how to properly brush, this is the only way to go. I thought I brushed/cleaned properly, I was totally wrong. Same with flossing, I thought I did it right too - I was also wrong about that.

When you brush your teeth you are supposed to actually brush your gums, not your actual teeth. The brush should be at a 45 degree angle to your gum line. You can focus on brushing the tops of your tooth (molars and whatnot) at the end of your brushing session. I found the Oral-B subpar for brushing my gums, the Sonicare is miles better for me. I've had three sets of dentists tell me they prefer it over Oral-B.

So - floss, mouthwash, brush for 2 minutes. Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes afterwards. Repeat morning and night.

I turned my raging itchy gums around in a few weeks by changing how I brush and floss my teeth. I got a massive kudos from my dental hygienist my last cleaning. Also no plaque!
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    As someone whose had to go through a LOT of repair on my teeth and gums....I prefer the Sonicare.

After I was taught how to properly brush, this is the only way to go. I thought I brushed/cleaned properly, I was totally wrong. Same with flossing, I thought I did it right too - I was also wrong about that.

When you brush your teeth you are supposed to actually brush your gums, not your actual teeth. The brush should be at a 45 degree angle to your gum line. You can focus on brushing the tops of your tooth (molars and whatnot) at the end of your brushing session. I found the Oral-B subpar for brushing my gums, the Sonicare is miles better for me. I've had three sets of dentists tell me they prefer it over Oral-B.

So - floss, mouthwash, brush for 2 minutes. Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes afterwards. Repeat morning and night.

I turned my raging itchy gums around in a few weeks by changing how I brush and floss my teeth. I got a massive kudos from my dental hygienist my last cleaning. Also no plaque!
    Thanks for relating your experience.
    The Sonicare and Dentitex units say to angle the toothbrush into the gums as you decribe.

I suppose the other issue is which type electric toothbrush (Oral B 3D or Sonicare) is more effective on people who don't read the instructions on how to use them properly.

As for floss, a prosthodontist I used to use was starting to despair - he'd spent years telling people how to floss properly with unwaxed floss, and suddenly unwaxed floss became unavailable in Australia. He didn't think waxed floss was anywhere near as good.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Similar to buying expensive razor cartridge replacements, getting new brush heads is a day I've been dreading for several weeks, but I had to do it this weekend. At least the Kroger brand is around 10 dollars cheaper than the Oral B brand. I'm sure the WalMart brand is even cheaper than the Kroger brand but it's further away.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Similar to buying expensive razor cartridge replacements, getting new brush heads is a day I've been dreading for several weeks, but I had to do it this weekend. At least the Kroger brand is around 10 dollars cheaper than the Oral B brand. I'm sure the WalMart brand is even cheaper than the Kroger brand but it's further away.
    Ebay should be cheaper still.
    Cheers,
    Renato