Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Third Man and Havana arrived yesterday, so a few words for each one.

Caron's Third Man - If Third Man was the adopted son of Eau Sauvage, Eau would be very pleased with how his son had turned out. He would be happy to pass on his inheritance and say something like "son, I'm proud of you". Happy to have found a new fragrance I can love, not just like. Longevity is great, the drydown gorgeous.

Havana - Unimpressed and disappointed. Stays linear, doesn't evolve and doesn't last. Maybe the humidity here just doesn't favour certain scents, but at least I'm happy with Third Man. We can't have everything. Havana isn't unpleasant, it's pleasant, it's just thin and whispy and its sharp tangy fruitiness doesn't evolve into any of the subtle stages of drydown described in the directory here.

Default Re: Third Man and Havana arrived yesterday, so a few words for each one.

No it don't u talking about Havana aramis gentlemans club ..the reformulated version are not bad at all , but weak on performance, Devin does alot better job at that also Tuscony does too
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Third Man and Havana arrived yesterday, so a few words for each one.

Glad you liked the Caron. Not surprised you didn't like the other.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Glad you liked the Caron. Not surprised you didn't like the other.
    Thanks Hednic. LOVE the Caron, it's special. Maybe time will change things for the Havana, maybe my nose just doesn't do well with certain scents and maybe it's the humidity here, I don't know. It smells "nice" but on me there is NO DRYDOWN

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones154 View Post
    No it don't u talking about Havana aramis gentlemans club ..the reformulated version are not bad at all , but weak on performance, Devin does alot better job at that also Tuscony does too
    Not gentleman's club, just this ( see image below). I don't get it. First time I wore it, I got a really nice boozy, tobacco drydown. Since then it has stopped working on me.

126769.jpg:

Congratulations for both purchases even if Havana did not do that well so far.

As for Third Man by Caron-this one is deservedly a classic and provides many good notes with good performance quite inexpensively, for a more than fair value for money/return on investment, while keeping in with the high standards of this iconic house.
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Congratulations for both purchases even if Havana did not do that well so far.

As for Third Man by Caron-this one is deservedly a classic and provides many good notes with good performance quite inexpensively, for a more than fair value for money/return on investment, while keeping in with the high standards of this iconic house.
    Thank you Ken. I'm starting to think that only some fragrances can survive this humidity. Which is ironic, because Cuba is humid and I bought this thinking it would be a perfect fit for this climate. But it doesn't seem to develop on me. Just stays tangy and sharp and fruity, then dies away. I'm wondering whether my sedentary lifestyle might be playing a part in messing with my body chemistry. Going to start walking and cycling again, see if that makes a difference to how my skin is interracting with these fragrances.

Both great. I prefer Havana. On me works miracles and lasts very long.

Love Third Man, but never cared for Havana (the original release - too busy, linear as you noted and, to my nose, not really tobacco-y.)
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    I prefer Third Man but surprised that Havana does not last on the OP. It could well be affected by humidity, weather changes, etc. On me it's also a beast and that herbal tobacco note seems to overpower every smell in a huge radius around me.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Monsieur Montana, do you have vintage in the blue bottle ?

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I prefer Third Man but surprised that Havana does not last on the OP. It could well be affected by humidity, weather changes, etc. On me it's also a beast and that herbal tobacco note seems to overpower every smell in a huge radius around me.
    Rum, do you have this bottle ?

BimgAramis Havana ME.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    Rum, do you have this bottle ?

BimgAramis Havana ME.jpg
    I did when it first came out but my comments above referred to the current stuff which I have tried several times in recent months.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

...have them both for sale at this moment...

Current Havana is a very strong performer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones154 View Post
    Wow! That's odd. On my skin lasts all day.
    I bought it last year.

Three back-up bottles will arrive in a couple of days.
    Iiiiiiii love it.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

damn skin chemistry...maybe it's stress? Anyway, Third Man fits me like a glove. I will report back about Havana when I work out what's blocking my pores.

Ps- why the heck would I experience a lovely dry down on the first day, and since then.......nothing ? Could be something in my diet ?? Dry season is here now in Nicaragua,

it's very hot and sweaty now....maybe humidity stops evaporation of the fragrance notes??? We're talking really soaking wet shirt heat and humidity now, damp patches etc...

Yet...this should be working on me, as you all say, it's supposed to be a beast...so....something going on....not sure what.

If a kind moderator could please delete or scrap my pending review of Havana in the Directory, I would appreciate it. It was premature and too negative, considering that it may not be the fault of the scent, but some issue with my body chemistry or humidity levels etc....

thank you in advance...

Monsieur Montana, do you have vintage in the blue bottle ?
    No, I have the one like yours

"thin and whispy and its sharp tangy fruitiness"

I've never heard Havana described like this. Do you think your bottle may have gone off or somehow been compromised. I've not heard of Havana being faked, so maybe try another bottle from another source? And/or just let this bottle sit in its box for a few days and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMan'sOldSpice View Post
    "thin and whispy and its sharp tangy fruitiness"

I've never heard Havana described like this. Do you think your bottle may have gone off or somehow been compromised. I've not heard of Havana being faked, so maybe try another bottle from another source? And/or just let this bottle sit in its box for a few days and try it again.

No, I don't think it's the bottle. The first time I wore it, I experienced a lovely drydown , but since then, something isn't working....maybe I have developed anosmia or something, i don't know. When the humidity is so high and no air to carry the scent away from the skin, this is maybe what's happening...but why would Third Man perform so well, but on me, Havana have started to hide from me? I will keep up my detective work. I never give up easily..

damn skin chemistry...maybe it's stress? Anyway, Third Man fits me like a glove. I will report back about Havana when I work out what's blocking my pores.

Ps- why the heck would I experience a lovely dry down on the first day, and since then.......nothing ? Could be something in my diet ?? Dry season is here now in Nicaragua,

it's very hot and sweaty now....maybe humidity stops evaporation of the fragrance notes??? We're talking really soaking wet shirt heat and humidity now, damp patches etc...

Yet...this should be working on me, as you all say, it's supposed to be a beast...so....something going on....not sure what.
    1. Maybe you got used to it and it doesn't "shock" you anymore. And the weather. And the diet.

First time when I tested Salvador Dali pour Homme I was horrified. It was summer.
    "What the hell is this chocking haunted forest full o vomit and decayed vegetation?! This is gross."
    I forgot about it for half a year. When I tested again I fell in love. Such a lovely fragrance, even in the summer.

The same with Kouros.

Oh, wait! Maybe it's time to test Tuscan Leather again. The most awfull perfume I ever smelled. Maybe now I like it.

2. Are you allergic?

When I bought my new Chanel Antaeus bottle the allergy season started. I'm very allergic.
    The smell changed so much that I almost didn't recognize Antaeus. I was about to scream (yeah, very big deal, coz I love it ). Over a month everything went back to normal. Only with a few perfumes I had problems. And only this year.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    1. Maybe you got used to it and it doesn't "shock" you anymore. And the weather. And the diet.

First time when I tested Salvador Dali pour Homme I was horrified. It was summer.
    "What the hell is this chocking haunted forest full o vomit and decayed vegetation?! This is gross."
    I forgot about it for half a year. When I tested again I fell in love. Such a lovely fragrance, even in the summer.

The same with Kouros.

Oh, wait! Maybe it's time to test Tuscan Leather again. The most awfull perfume I ever smelled. Maybe now I like it.

2. Are you allergic?

When I bought my new Chanel Antaeus bottle the allergy season started. I'm very allergic.
    The smell changed so much that I almost didn't recognize Antaeus. I was about to scream (yeah, very big deal, coz I love it ). Over a month everything went back to normal. Only with a few perfumes I had problems. And only this year.
    The one you are wearing today is one I would like to get. I last smelled Antaeus in 1986 and loved it.
    Would be afraid to try it now. No problem here with allergies but wondering if some things just work better than others, in the right combination.

I like Eau Sauvage but it's gone after 3 hours. I need something with real staying power in this climate. Am thinking along the lines of Fahrenheit etc...

Noticed that a good shower and scrub unblocked my pores and applying coconut oil first is helping this application of Havana to stay around longer.

Hi Joe,

Glad to hear you at least liked one of the fragrances you bought. I also purchased a bottle of Havana a few months back. I tested it a few times but haven't given it a full wear yet. It just seems like something I won't enjoy. If you are looking for a nice Tobacco I will recommend you Aramis Tobacco Reserve from the same house. I may be in the minority here, but I find it to be much more interesting.

Hey Joe!
    Congrats on thenew arrivals(!) hehe
    Tempted by 3rd Man meself - but have been hesitatnt due to some of the dandy descriptors - I think I've enough with Habite Rouge and Pour Lui - but hey we're basenoters "enough" isn't often registered in the vocabulary!!
    Havana - I didn't mesh with it - too sweaty spicy on me skin -and also at long last got the tabacco in Havana - it's quite something.
    I can see Havana going either way in hot and humid weather - often these conditions will totally zap fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cade by L'Occitane

Dependent

Got a sample of Havana after reading all the hype, and being convinced it was my kind of frag. It wasn't. Scent wasn't quite what I was expecting, and longevity was disappointing also.

Also got a sample of 3rd Man a few years ago. This is a superb, captivating scent, but I felt it might be a bit too flowery/fem for my demeanor.

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Havana lived up to the hype for me. Haven't tried the current stuff.

Glad the 3eme Homme worked for you, Joe!

Two of my current favorites, though I wear vintage Third Man and the super-rare formulation, Havana Reserva, as opposed to newer formulations.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I wear vintage Third Man and the super-rare formulation, Havana Reserva, as opposed to newer formulations.
    How would you compare vintage Havana to Havana Reserva?

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    How would you compare vintage Havana to Havana Reserva?
    I haven't tried vintage Havana, other than the Reserva. It's denser yet has better note separation than the Havana bottle I acquired around 8 years ago, and there is more emphasis on the tobacco note, which I prefer. I just took a look on ebay and there's one listed, but someone else has the original listed as the Reserva, so be careful (see the label on the bottom of the bottle, which should say Reserva on it, and I think it only sold in the 50 ml size).