Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on price point and aftershave

Two of my most recent bottle purchases were actually aftershave bottles. I got Dior Homme Eau for about 25 dollars, which is quite a bit more than the edt version. However, I also got an aftershave bottle of Davidoff Adventure for 40 dollars, but the edt is about 20 dollars. So.... how do you feel about the cost of aftershave vs. the edt? Are there fragrances that you would gladly buy if you could get them at a fraction of the cost in the aftershave bottle? Would you consider paying more than the usual edt price for an aftershave bottle? I believe that the Adventure aftershave lotion is discontinued, so that would justify ebay sellers trying to sell it at an inflated price. Not sure where all these cheap Dior Eau aftershaves came from. Perhaps they were originally sold in gift sets, since the bottles are being sold without a box. Most of my current collection are edt fragrances that are collecting dust on the shelf, so I thought I'd add some solid aftershaves to my collection, since I already reach for my Zegna Colonia aftershave more than most of the other bottles in my collection.

Default Re: Thoughts on price point and aftershave

I would usually buy EdT regardless of the cost if I plan to wear it as a scent. I made the mistake of accidentally buying an aftershave to wear as a scent and it didn't last past the 2 hour mark because the concentration is not as high as an EdT.

I don't actually wear aftershave because of the high alcohol content, which can dry out your skin and make you look older. (this quote is from a book/ film, bonus points for guessing which one).

everyday i'm samplin'

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTRE View Post
    I would usually buy EdT regardless of the cost if I plan to wear it as a scent. I made the mistake of accidentally buying an aftershave to wear as a scent and it didn't last past the 2 hour mark because the concentration is not as high as an EdT.

I don't actually wear aftershave because of the high alcohol content, which can dry out your skin and make you look older. (this quote is from a book/ film, bonus points for guessing which one).
    I'm simply. not. there.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

I usually don't wear aftershave but i own a few vintages and they are extremely strong.

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTRE View Post
    I have to return some videotapes.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Are there fragrances that you would gladly buy if you could get them at a fraction of the cost in the aftershave bottle?
    For me - never. I don't buy After Shaves.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

everyday i'm samplin'

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Two of my most recent bottle purchases were actually aftershave bottles. I got Dior Homme Eau for about 25 dollars, which is quite a bit more than the edt version. However, I also got an aftershave bottle of Davidoff Adventure for 40 dollars, but the edt is about 20 dollars. So.... how do you feel about the cost of aftershave vs. the edt? Are there fragrances that you would gladly buy if you could get them at a fraction of the cost in the aftershave bottle? Would you consider paying more than the usual edt price for an aftershave bottle? I believe that the Adventure aftershave lotion is discontinued, so that would justify ebay sellers trying to sell it at an inflated price. Not sure where all these cheap Dior Eau aftershaves came from. Perhaps they were originally sold in gift sets, since the bottles are being sold without a box. Most of my current collection are edt fragrances that are collecting dust on the shelf, so I thought I'd add some solid aftershaves to my collection, since I already reach for my Zegna Colonia aftershave more than most of the other bottles in my collection.
    Thats silly, I thought. Then finished reading it. I use aftershaves every day, as well. Maybe i should purchase a few. My aftershave game is Brut, Aqua Velva Musk, and Gillette Cool Wave. Maybe a nice Polo next.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

So far had few experiences with fragrances where the performance of the aftershaves almost equaled the ones of their EDT or EDP versions - these ones being mostly the vintage versions of classics like Eau Sauvage and Azzaro PH, several vintage and/or discontnued Gucci and Carven male scents etc.

While the performance of the aftershave version being luckily not very different from the EDT and also available at advantageous prices typical for aftershaves, unfortunately it becomes increasingly difficult to obtain such performance and value for money inexpensively.

All Is Beautiful

I don’t buy after shaves.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Is the concern for alcohol content in an aftershave vs an EdT as it pertains to drying out skin really that significant?

If you consider that an EdT is usually upwards of 80% alcohol. Theres really only another 20% to play with and that includes water content.

If there was a scent I couldn’t find anymore except as an aftershave I might consider using it as an alternative to its EdT and just not use it on my face if I was concerned about drying out my facial skin.
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

I don't use aftershaves much anymore,however I do not think they are bad for the skin.Once in a while I use Aqua Velva which has glycerin(I think) in it,and if anything it has a nice toning effect.Too bad they don't make Old Spice Lime in the glass bottle anymore.That was good stuff.I find modern aftershaves not as good as aftershaves used to be. Also they tend to be much weaker now which of course is not surprising.

Current Antaeus aftershave is magnificent.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Some aftershaves are higher than their EdT counterparts on the aftermarket because the aftershave is discontinued while the EdT is not. You'll often find some older masculines still being made used to have regular aftershave counterparts but now have aftershave balm creams instead, so the older liquid aftershave sells for a premium for being "rare". Otherwise, usually the after shave is cheaper.

e.g: Sauvage is $95, but the aftershave is $65

Paco Rabanne XS Pour Homme is like $35 most places but the aftershave will be over $60 because it wasn't made past the 90's.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Leather by Avon