Code of Conduct
o

Default Question about Caron's 'Pour Un Homme'

I am very happy with my Caron's Third Man. In fact I haven't been so satisfied with a fragrance since Eau Sauvage became my signature 15 years ago.
    And I can honestly say that it now stands side by side , as a different, but equal, signature.

For me, it's the drydown where le 3'eme really comes into its own. I can't explain notes, but for me it just has a similar French classiness that Eau Sauvage and Chanel Pour Monsieur have. It makes me feel secure, comfortable, happy, in my zone, and to sound really corny...'at one with myself'.

But what about Caron Pour Un Homme? It feels like the next logical step for me to take, and I can ask my friend to bring one in January - But does it also have a special "French feeling" drydown? Is it also comforting and does it also ooze some kind of quiet classiness?

Of course, I don't consider myself a classy person, but I like the way that Third Man makes me "feel" classy. It's the next best thing ))

So, January will either be Aramis Pour Homme EDT or Caron Pour Un Homme, but the Aramis would be staying on familiar ground with the scent of my youth and POur Un Homme would be a blind buy, just as Third Man was.

Just wondering, hoping...if Pour Un Homme will satisfy in the same way Third Man has done.

Default Re: Question about Caron's 'Pour Un Homme'

There are a lot of PuH lovers on Basenotes.

Personally, I have never found it as interesting or special to wear as The Third Man, which for me is one of the best male fragrances ever.

It's basically Lavender, vanilla and musc, and it smells amazing! Very crowd pleasing. You can find it quite cheap, so I will say, YES! Go for it! The closest fragrance I can think of is By Kilian Taste of Heaven.

It remains one of the best masculine perfumes ever made. As long as you like lavender, I can't see you disliking it. I bought a bottle from the 90's (with a black cap) and I still have tons left because it lasts forever.

thanks, was wondering if it could be described as "samey" , I mean with Third Man ? :-) Is it different enough to be...well...different ?

a quarter million, tops

smells like playdough.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post

So, January will either be Aramis Pour Homme EDT or Caron Pour Un Homme.
    Definitely go with the Caron.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

OP,
    PUH is a model of simplicity and class. It absolutely has the quiet classiness you’re mentioning.
    It does have some powderiness that comes from civet (not a simple musk). So you have to like that part.
    I wore it for years but don’t do well with animalic notes anymore. I just can’t pull of civet and other strong animal notes (including in YSL Kouros, another former signature of mine).
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

I am very happy with my Caron's Third Man. In fact I haven't been so satisfied with a fragrance since Eau Sauvage became my signature 15 years ago.
    And I can honestly say that it now stands side by side , as a different, but equal, signature.

For me, it's the drydown where le 3'eme really comes into its own. I can't explain notes, but for me it just has a similar French classiness that Eau Sauvage and Chanel Pour Monsieur have. It makes me feel secure, comfortable, happy, in my zone, and to sound really corny...'at one with myself'.

But what about Caron Pour Un Homme? It feels like the next logical step for me to take, and I can ask my friend to bring one in January - But does it also have a special "French feeling" drydown? Is it also comforting and does it also ooze some kind of quiet classiness?

Of course, I don't consider myself a classy person, but I like the way that Third Man makes me "feel" classy. It's the next best thing ))

So, January will either be Aramis Pour Homme EDT or Caron Pour Un Homme, but the Aramis would be staying on familiar ground with the scent of my youth and POur Un Homme would be a blind buy, just as Third Man was.

Just wondering, hoping...if Pour Un Homme will satisfy in the same way Third Man has done.
    Aramis and Eau Savage are totally different. What do you mean by saying “familiar ground with Eau Savage?”
    Pour un Homme is one of the best lavender perfumes, probably won’t work in the jungle. I would say try to get a vintage Aramis which is a great leather. I know Hednic will hate me for saying this

If having to choose and to recommend between the two, would go for Caron pour un Homme.

While different enough from both The Third Man by the same house, but also Eau Sauvage EDT - it nevertheless retains a certain style and certain notes more or less similar to these two favorites of yours, just using them in different ways and other proportions.
    The use of powdery, marginally floral notes combined with woody, citrus etc. ones in each of the three does in fact render a certain French elegance, very timeless and classy without being dated.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    OP,
    PUH is a model of simplicity and class. It absolutely has the quiet classiness you’re mentioning.
    It does have some powderiness that comes from civet (not a simple musk). So you have to like that part.
    I wore it for years but don’t do well with animalic notes anymore. I just can’t pull of civet and other strong animal notes (including in YSL Kouros, another former signature of mine).
    would the latest version still have civet? I thought it had been banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Aramis and Eau Savage are totally different. What do you mean by saying “familiar ground with Eau Savage?”
    Pour un Homme is one of the best lavender perfumes, probably won’t work in the jungle. I would say try to get a vintage Aramis which is a great leather. I know Hednic will hate me for saying this
    Non Monsieur, I said that Aramis was familiar ground for me because it was the scent of my youth. I've always loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    If having to choose and to recommend between the two, would go for Caron pour un Homme.

While different enough from both The Third Man by the same house, but also Eau Sauvage EDT - it nevertheless retains a certain style and certain notes more or less similar to these two favorites of yours, just using them in different ways and other proportions.
    The use of powdery, marginally floral notes combined with woody, citrus etc. ones in each of the three does in fact render a certain French elegance, very timeless and classy without being dated.
    I'll end up later with both, and as you say probably the Caron for now, Ken. Maybe later even Yatagan. ))

would the latest version still have civet? I thought it had been banned?
    All civet used in mainstream releases is now synthetic.

For the record, I've never detected anything animalic in PUH. Just lavender and vanilla. Although I guess there are musks in everything, many of which could be perceived as animal/fecal smelling.

Well, take away the clove note from Third Man and you pretty much have Pour Un Homme.

With the recent formulas of both, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post

For the record, I've never detected anything animalic in PUH. Just lavender and vanilla. Although I guess there are musks in everything, many of which could be perceived as animal/fecal smelling.
    There's some kind of animalic musk in Pour un Homme it's just little and blended in a French way. If you buy an older bottle of Pour un Homme it'll be more pronounced and you will smell it in the new if you compare side by side. Without that comparison though I never smell the musk.

Can't speak to the recent formulation, but the 1960s one I have is animalic/herbal lavender with a non-sweet vanilla. Love it or hate material.

UPDATE: I was looking through some recent samples and came upon a CPuH one. My guess is that this is recent. It's got a lot more vanilla, less lavender, and little to no animalic quality relative to my 1960s version, so I can understand the diversity of reviews. It retains a "mature" or "classic" quality, compared to a vanillic "masculine" such as Perry Ellis' M Men, and I doubt most of the younger crowd would appreciate it (and they'd run from the 1960s one LOL).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st December 2019 at 02:51 AM.

...for lavender try Bracken Man by Amouage...
    Currently wearing: Kenzoair by Kenzo

a quarter million, tops

I did not get a trace of animalics from CPH. CPH and 3rd Man share lavender, and have more similar scents, but 3rd Man seems closer in construction to Yatagan. Heck, Id prefer L'Anarchist in the jungle before CPH.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

User of Toilet Water

Harsh, herbal lavender opening then nice vanilla, but the Play-Doh is there through and through. The Third Man is many times for interesting and better. No real similarities to me.

Basenotes Plus

I don’t get much similarity between 3eme Homme (which I like) and Pour un Homme (which I don’t). I don’t mind vanilla as a component of a fragrance’s base, but I don’t care to wear it in the spotlight, and PuH puts it front and center. You might adore it, as it’s a very well made version of what it’s meant to be. I’m just reiterating that liking one isn’t a good predictor of liking the other.
    Currently wearing: Ombre Noir by Lalique

Basenotes Plus

Personally I don't really see close similarities with Caron 3e Homme or Eau Sauvage (love all three). Pour un Homme is all about unapologetic lavender with a slight animalic undertone and vanilla to me. Fantastic I think, but I can see this being a love it or hate it fragrance . To me the lavender comes across very realistic and reminds me of the lavender fields in the south of France. Fragrance wise I see similarities with Guerlain Jicky, which also has the lavender/animalic combo, but that one has much more other typical southern French herbal notes in the mix and is overall a much more complex fragrance. Pour un Homme I just love for it's simplicity and comforting feel. It's something I like to put on in the evening, just relaxing at home.
    Currently wearing: Incense Oud by NicolaÔ

Freed from BN Institution

I've sampled a vintage from the 80's/90's, I wasn't amazed by it given that I don't have a strong affinity for lavender.

One that would be worth trying is Guerlain Heritage.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post

I wore the Caron for manu years in the past and I never noted anything animalistic either - I also just detected lavender and vanilla. I would have never worn something that had civet as an ingredient. I find that note, and any note that smells fecal smelling, disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    There's some kind of animalic musk in Pour un Homme it's just little and blended in a French way. If you buy an older bottle of Pour un Homme it'll be more pronounced and you will smell it in the new if you compare side by side. Without that comparison though I never smell the musk.
    Yes, that animalic/fecal/powdery note is there. I stopped using PUH about five years ago so I don’t know about the most recent release. Honestly animal notes are not bad in a fragrance it’s just that I’m not comfortable with it anymore.

Edit to add: I’m thinking the differences in the opinions may be because Caron also regularly reformulate just like they regularly repackaged everything throughout the years. Who knows… I didn’t even smell the civet for years but all of a sudden it clicked and I couldn’t stop smelling it after that.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido