Code of Conduct
o

Default Macerating naturals

Hi Everybody,

I know a lot has been written on this forum about maceration already, however I could not find an answer to my question. I was wondering if you work solely with naturals (absolutes, essential oils, natural isolates and alcohol) if the maceration time therefore would be shorter (or longer) than when you use aroma chemicals (synths). I am not a chemist so it's hard to tell which type of oils take the longest time to blend properly. Also does maceration allow for the scent to get stronger, linger on longer and maybe also more diffusive/sillage?

I know maceration is said to often take at least 6 weeks. But sometimes its hard to tell the difference in smell between 3 and 6 weeks of maceration time. So depending on the blend of course, the maceration might be mostly finished already.

Thanks!

Default Re: Macerating naturals

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywood View Post
    Hi Everybody,

I know a lot has been written on this forum about maceration already, however I could not find an answer to my question. I was wondering if you work solely with naturals (absolutes, essential oils, natural isolates and alcohol) if the maceration time therefore would be shorter (or longer) than when you use aroma chemicals (synths). I am not a chemist so it's hard to tell which type of oils take the longest time to blend properly. Also does maceration allow for the scent to get stronger, linger on longer and maybe also more diffusive/sillage?

I know maceration is said to often take at least 6 weeks. But sometimes its hard to tell the difference in smell between 3 and 6 weeks of maceration time. So depending on the blend of course, the maceration might be mostly finished already.

Thanks!
    My opinion is that maceration time may be correlated to the number of actual chemical in the formula. Considering that Essential Oils, etc. consist of potentially hundreds of individual aroma chemicals, it would follow that EO and such will take a longer time to "macerate" fully.

Quote Originally Posted by julian35 View Post
    My opinion is that maceration time may be correlated to the number of actual chemical in the formula. Considering that Essential Oils, etc. consist of potentially hundreds of individual aroma chemicals, it would follow that EO and such will take a longer time to "macerate" fully.
    Exactly, each aroma molecule present in the formula will 'stitch' itself with the other, so a perfume using many naturals (which contain dozens of molecules each) would be like stitching a giant quilt together with hundreds or thousands of connection points. And a perfume using only synthetics has far fewer connection points, could macerate exponentially faster, from up to a few months and for naturals many months. I don't think there is anyway to predetermine how long a maceration of naturals will take with any great precision, it's more of a wait and see situation. But I do know that a natural perfume should take at least twice as long as a synthetic perfume with a similar number of ingredients.

That's very helpful. Thanks! I basically thought it was the other way around, I will keep a close eye on them then I guess