Code of Conduct

Thread: Malizia Vetiver

o

Default Malizia Vetiver

What are your experiences with this?
    Lol feel the need to pick up a solid simple vetiver that's not fussy, to replace the Vetiver Original Carven ( its temperamental!)

Default Re: Malizia Vetiver

From a personal viewpoint alone, this one does easily remain among the best affordable vetivers one can get cheaply but also with quality and performance levels way above its inexpensive price range.

Furthermore, admitting to have been at first reluctant about this one, mainly but not exclusively due to at least 2 fairly decisive reasons: it was on one hand nearly omnipresent (therefore worn even by people did personally like less) in the mid to late 90s while growing up and also it had a perhaps too direct, too resinous, to beast mode, even beyond powerhouse average values of green, herbal vetiver notes-almost as if the oakmoss prior to IFRA restrictions, even if there is little or no oakmoss in this one, did become too much to handle even for a beast mode, powerhouse hobbyist, collector and/or enthusiast.

However all these considerations did eventually start to fade, influenced by a mix of nostalgia but also merely acknowledging how good this one can still can be for a very low price, so that might at some point not only reconsider the choice of deliberately not owning and wearing, but also of not or hardly ever speaking up in favor of and recommending this one.

While having to honestly admit not having perceived this at similar quality levels, complexity, luxuriousness etc. with the classic vetiver scent by Carven (though equally honest that some undetected, subliminal snobbery and/or increased purely subjective fondness of Vetiver Carven might also come into play and distort any objective results/opinions) this one still remains very good for what it is and a fairly solid vetiver option.
    Mostly as a quite different completion and addition, rather than a comparable alternative to better known, both more critically and commercially acclaimed and successful designer and niche vetivers including but not limited to the ones by: Guerlain, Creed, Lanvin, Chopard, l'Occitane, Hermes etc. to name only a few.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    What are your experiences with this?
    Lol feel the need to pick up a solid simple vetiver that's not fussy, to replace the Vetiver Original Carven ( its temperamental!)
    Do you have Guerlain Vetiver? If not, perhaps get that one?

I have tried the Malizia, and it is non-fussy, straightforward, but if I had it I would be looking every now and then to 'upgrade' it with something else.
    Currently wearing: Russian Tea by Masque

Very harsh, very bitter herbal vetiver. First hour is grosse. For me it's awfull.

With this money (5$) you can buy a cheap essential oil. Not very pleasant at first, but the dry down is EXCELLENT.

Of course try it (Malizia Vetyver), maybe it works for you.

I tested this version, not the newer one:

375x500.12997.jpg
    Currently wearing: Ja´pur Homme by Boucheron

Cheers folks!
    I tried Monotheme Vetiver again - the opening half hr always throws me ( bad cheap citrus smell) - but wow after that its got some cahonies!! Lovely nutty vetiver with what feels like a little heat/warmth that is quite moreish ( especially now its like 0-5C outside) - I'll likely go with this than blind buy another bottle.

Oh yes got a few other Vetivers - namely Guerlain, Encre Noire and a bit of TF Grey Vet ( lol which ahsn't seen thelight of day for months!!). Great as it is, the Guerlian being my fave, sometimes I crave someting less complex/less evoloution.

I think Ken ( sorry if I mixed you up with someone else) quite favours the Monotheme?

Cheers folks!
    I tried Monotheme Vetiver again - the opening half hr always throws me ( bad cheap citrus smell) - but wow after that its got some cahonies!! Lovely nutty vetiver with what feels like a little heat/warmth that is quite moreish ( especially now its like 0-5C outside) - I'll likely go with this than blind buy another bottle.

Oh yes got a few other Vetivers - namely Guerlain, Encre Noire and a bit of TF Grey Vet ( lol which ahsn't seen thelight of day for months!!). Great as it is, the Guerlian being my fave, sometimes I crave someting less complex/less evoloution.

I think Ken ( sorry if I mixed you up with someone else) quite favours the Monotheme?

From a personal viewpoint not mixed up at all-happening to like Monotheme.

Perhaps not rating the Monotheme vetiver among the personal favorites among scents that feature this note, but still as an affordable, honest option remaining decent for its price.

Cheers folks!
    Great as it is, the Guerlian being my fave, sometimes I crave someting less complex/less evoloution.
    Try Phaedon Black Vetiver. It's simple (lemon, pepper, vetiver), very good, but expensive.

My favorite vetiver is by far Etro Vetiver.
    I wonder how the vintage was.

Cheers folks!

I see that .... but why specifically vetiver though? Maybe you can go with Mugler Cologne?

How's the UK at this time of the year? Festive and exciting? For you?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & B˙zios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    Very harsh, very bitter herbal vetiver. First hour is gross. For me it's awful.

Similar experience I recall when I tried this abroad.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I see that .... but why specifically vetiver though? Maybe you can go with Mugler Cologne?

How's the UK at this time of the year? Festive and exciting? For you?
    Ah cheers, lol just feel like I'm missing a simple vetiver for days when I don't feel like too much fuss in a fragrance.
    Thank you, well certainly it's gone chilly around the 0-5░c mark the last few days. Lights and trees are up in public spaces, people are wearing woolly scarves and bobble hats... there is that festive cheeriness about the air!

Ah cheers, lol just feel like I'm missing a simple vetiver for days when I don't feel like too much fuss in a fragrance.
    Thank you, well certainly it's gone chilly around the 0-5░c mark the last few days. Lights and trees are up in public spaces, people are wearing woolly scarves and bobble hats... there is that festive cheeriness about the air!
    Ok, point taken.

I'd suggest you to get the Carven Vetiver ahead of Malizia if you can find it for a good price.

Yes!
    near Baden-Baden, Schwarzwald (= Black Forest region), just 12 Km / 7 miles away of French border

An insult of the greatest kind that this juice uses the term "Vetyver"!

A terribly artificial fragrance that fatal reminded me of a toilet cleaner.
    I poured it away!
    Currently wearing: Paithani by Penhaligon's

Great as it is, the Guerlian being my fave, sometimes I crave someting less complex/less evoloution.
    CdG Vettiveru might be a good option then. Not too expensive, very simple eau de cologne-style vetiver and citrus, but the vetiver really steals the show and there isn't too much to distract from it.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I'm morbidly curious.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Clubman by Pinaud

Blog Entries

Just ordered a bottle $7 on Amazon. Should be here Fri, I'll give my thoughts.

For me, anything with vetiver in the name is worth the 7 buck gamble. Worst case, I'll give it away or use it in the bathroom.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

If you're looking for a nice cheap vetiver, you could also try Nuparfums Bronze Age. It's an airy Terre d'Hermes EDT with good performances. Really good. 12$.

81ExTDVTxNL._SY741_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Just ordered a bottle $7 on Amazon. Should be here Fri, I'll give my thoughts.

For me, anything with vetiver in the name is worth the 7 buck gamble. Worst case, I'll give it away or use it in the bathroom.
    Haha look forward to it!!

If you're looking for a nice cheap vetiver, you could also try Nuparfums Bronze Age. It's an airy Terre d'Hermes EDT with good performances. Really good. 12$.

81ExTDVTxNL._SY741_.jpg
    Yes you're right, cheap n cheerful, something I throw on with little thought! This sounds good

Blog Entries

I'm wearing this today, and it's not bad. Actually it's my 2nd fragrance I'm wearing today. Here is my first impression. At first, heavy strong blast of alcohol, takes more than a few seconds to die off, I would say, close to a minute with this one, under the alcohol though i can distinctively smell a strong lemon note emerging. Fast forward about a minute, I get no vetiver and a lot of citrus. Not so much even the typical bergamot, I definitely detect lime, and a candy like orange. After being on skin about 20 minutes, I get more of a bergamot now, and a very faint vetiver.. At this point (20 min mark) it has like this particular smell, when you smell inserts in Maxim and GQ and they have this distinguishable almost paper like smell (which makes sense since you're smelling them off paper) it truly has this smell, and I think it's great because I love that smell. anyways.. fast forward and hour and I get a pretty faint, although very green vetiver, in the style of Guerlain Vetiver I would say, but not soapy really, more so, just earthy, maybe a little herbal, but not much. The dry down doesn't smell too great, cheap for sure.

For the price though I think it's pretty good overall. I think in high heat, when mixed with sweat or direct heat from the sun's rays, it could be much better, we'll see! Longevity is no more than 3 hours before completely gone.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I'm wearing this today, and it's not bad. Actually it's my 2nd fragrance I'm wearing today. Here is my first impression. At first, heavy strong blast of alcohol, takes more than a few seconds to die off, I would say, close to a minute with this one, under the alcohol though i can distinctively smell a strong lemon note emerging. Fast forward about a minute, I get no vetiver and a lot of citrus. Not so much even the typical bergamot, I definitely detect lime, and a candy like orange. After being on skin about 20 minutes, I get more of a bergamot now, and a very faint vetiver.. At this point (20 min mark) it has like this particular smell, when you smell inserts in Maxim and GQ and they have this distinguishable almost paper like smell (which makes sense since you're smelling them off paper) it truly has this smell, and I think it's great because I love that smell. anyways.. fast forward and hour and I get a pretty faint, although very green vetiver, in the style of Guerlain Vetiver I would say, but not soapy really, more so, just earthy, maybe a little herbal, but not much. The dry down doesn't smell too great, cheap for sure.

For the price though I think it's pretty good overall. I think in high heat, when mixed with sweat or direct heat from the sun's rays, it could be much better, we'll see! Longevity is no more than 3 hours before completely gone.
    Thanks for taking one for the team. Looks like I'd regret spending the dosh on this one.

Blog Entries

Np @ Zealot.

Has anyone else tried this recently and not get much vetiver from it?

It kind of smells like it will have vetiver on the initial sprays, like it has this certain greenness, but there isn't really any on my skin, if so it's very faint. I also think longevity is better than I first thought, I got about 5-6 hours, but it doesn't project at all after 2 hours.

Basenotes Plus

Try Phaedon Black Vetiver. It's simple (lemon, pepper, vetiver), very good, but expensive.

My favorite vetiver is by far Etro Vetiver.
    I wonder how the vintage was.
    Vintage Etro Vetiver is tenacious. It’s got that ‘earthy’ quality that people state. Basically that means it smells like a 100% pure vetiver essential oil that’s perhaps a bit ‘dirty’, as if it wasn’t processed in the best of conditions, but with more volume. I happen to like it. But it will be one that is most appreciated by vetiver lovers who are purists and not lovers of compositions containing less oil which have been thinned out and reveal the more ‘soapy’ qualities of vetiver. If you like strong vetiver and/or find it at a reasonable price, it’s worth shot. It’s also a good education for the nostrils and brain.

Hope this helps some.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Blog Entries

This smells completely different in the air than on skin, like wow. Smells like a fantastic smokey vetiver in the air, but on skin, it smells like a cheap citrus with some green undertones. Might try it in my Gooloo oil difuser and see how it works out.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

This smells completely different in the air than on skin, like wow. Smells like a fantastic smokey vetiver in the air, but on skin, it smells like a cheap citrus with some green undertones. Might try it in my Gooloo oil difuser and see how it works out.
    I did that with a Bleu de Chanel fake once. Worked really well as Bleu de Livingroom

Hmm interesting. Do you think it would smell better on clothes than on skin? I was on the fence about buying this, then decided against it after reading your take, now I'm on the fence again I love vetiver so I might take the plunge either way, especially since it's under $10.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Hmm thinking face emoticon!! Thanks for posting up about this. Interestingly I get the same from monotheme bourbon vetiver. Keep catching pretty gorgeous smoky nutty vetiver whiffs, up close eeek!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Hmm interesting. Do you think it would smell better on clothes than on skin? I was on the fence about buying this, then decided against it after reading your take, now I'm on the fence again I love vetiver so I might take the plunge either way, especially since it's under $10.
    I haven't tried it on clothes yet, but maybe, I'll try it in the future and update this thread. It's a weird scent, I kinda like it and kinda hate it too. The vetiver note in it is a mix between David Beckham Instinct and Guerlain Vetiver, I think that's the best way to some it up. It's like a smokey, dirty, dry (Beckham) mixed with a soapy, green, aromatic (Guerlain). However, as I said, the smell is more so in the air. On skin, it kind of reminds me of Dana Navigator, which isn't a half bad fragrance either, as long as you acquire the vintage version. Anyways, the vetiver note in this seems like it's made as a top note instead of a base note, using very little vetiver oil(s) in the fragrance. Vetiver is known to last long, despite how cheap a fragrance is.. I feel this is meant to be kind of an aftershave like fragrance. While I'm not 100% sure the construction of aftershaves, I know they use much less oils, and focus on top notes and that's pretty much it. The same goes with this.

I think my critical thoughts are just over-constructive, and should be taken with a grain of salt. It's just how I speak about fragrances. I feel most of you guys would probably enjoy this fragrance, especially at the price. It could be a good gym frag for older guys who want something super light, but wanna know they're still wearing something, maybe combined with sweat and your body chemistry will help it perform better.

Hmm thinking face emoticon!! Thanks for posting up about this. Interestingly I get the same from monotheme bourbon vetiver. Keep catching pretty gorgeous smoky nutty vetiver whiffs, up close eeek!
    I pretty much agree with this, I think Bourbon Vetiver is more natural smelling though. I feel this fragrance will serve a purpose for people though.

Great cost x benefit fragrance. Bitter/spicy vetiver. Reminded of Dunhill Edition's new version.
    If It had a better/niche presentation people would applaud... Thumbs Up!