Code of Conduct
o

Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - December 2019

Looking forward to reading your impressions of whatever you're trying this month, folks!

l'll be back here myself later this week, after l finish with my part of the Zoo Sample Pass.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Fate Woman by Amouage

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sample of the Day - December 2019

Basile pour Femme by Basile, a sample sent by my lovely swap buddy kitsch:

lnitially, this smells "perfumey", a term l use with reluctance but which describes this style of vintage very well. The opening cacophony of notes is hard to break down, but l get an impression of aldehydes, clove & perhaps carnation. After a few minutes, a very elegant & smooth white floral accord emerges, & a little later a soapy rose. One hour in, it morphs into a warm, sweet amber with woods & a nice floral depth. Six hours in there's been no further development, but it's still humming along softly.

l had never heard of this obscure ltalian designer brand before, but this one has some rave reviews on Fragrantica, & l can see why. From the notes list, which includes tangerine & cinnamon, l expected this to smell quite Christmassy. But it's much classier than that, & although l'm not fond of the opening, the drydown takes some very pleasant turns indeed.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Fate Woman by Amouage

First sample wearing on skin of The Lover's Tale, by Francesca Bianchi. Sample very generously sent by rum.

Goes on powdery (very orris), fresh (aldehydes), and almost minty (geranium - not listed - or mimosa ?) opening. Not as funky as expected (yet). 1 spray on forearm. There was bergamot and some florals. Fleeting rose. Where's the jasmine ?

It's very clean so far.... And.... here comes the animalic drydown.

But what kind of animal ? The nearest is horse, but not quite (not sheep, nor cow, nor dog). Maybe the olfactory concept of a horse ? Leather and castoreum, musk probably, all with a sheen (ah, civet ? though not a listed note) of fresh powder. Talcum powderish, rubberish. Fetish horse ? And finally some almondy heliotrope, and honey, but not really sweet as such.

All day I have been getting powerful wafts from my arm, through a long-sleeved T shirt, a sweater and a thick aran cardigan, plus a waterproof padded jacket with close-fitting wrists. Longevity is many hours so far. The drydown is very smoothly animalic and exceedingly pleasant.
    early December - in the bleak midwinter : CdG Zagorsk; YSL Body Kouros; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Dior Fahrenheit; Tom Daxon Iridium; Etro Heliotrope; Knize Forest; Papillon Anglique; Lalique Encre Noire ; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP

Cuir de Nuit by Yves Rocher-vanilla meets fairly inoffensive, non animalic suede notes in one scent and while this is an EDP with longevity performance to almost qualify for a beast mode, the projection is moderate enough to remain largely if not entirely office appropriate, with little or no powerhouse vanillic and/or leathery overpowering eccentricities

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    First sample wearing on skin of The Lover's Tale, by Francesca Bianchi. Sample very generously sent by rum.

Goes on powdery (very orris), fresh (aldehydes), and almost minty (geranium - not listed - or mimosa ?) opening. Not as funky as expected (yet). 1 spray on forearm. There was bergamot and some florals. Fleeting rose. Where's the jasmine ?

It's very clean so far.... And.... here comes the animalic drydown.

But what kind of animal ? The nearest is horse, but not quite (not sheep, nor cow, nor dog). Maybe the olfactory concept of a horse ? Leather and castoreum, musk probably, all with a sheen (ah, civet ? though not a listed note) of fresh powder. Talcum powderish, rubberish. Fetish horse ? And finally some almondy heliotrope, and honey, but not really sweet as such.

All day I have been getting powerful wafts from my arm, through a long-sleeved T shirt, a sweater and a thick aran cardigan, plus a waterproof padded jacket with close-fitting wrists. Longevity is many hours so far. The drydown is very smoothly animalic and exceedingly pleasant.
    Coming back to The Lover's Tale the following day : still very present as a skin scent in the morning. Don't get this one on your clothing - though I sprayed on my forearm, it had permeated T-shirt and sweater so much that they need washed if I don't want to smell of TLT. It's strong, but after a while it gets tiresome, and in that respect I find it hard to wear. OK in small doses for a short while.

ETA2 : This took two showers to remove from skin, scrubbing with loofah and soap. It lasted until the third morning. On Day 2, it was in stiff competition with my SOTD Jacomo de Jacomo. It's still on the sweater. Persistant.
    Last edited by incense+heliotrope; 8th December 2019 at 11:48 AM.
    early December - in the bleak midwinter : CdG Zagorsk; YSL Body Kouros; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Dior Fahrenheit; Tom Daxon Iridium; Etro Heliotrope; Knize Forest; Papillon Anglique; Lalique Encre Noire ; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP