Code of Conduct
o

Default Seeking that "roundness"

Hey everyone. New to the forum here.
    My experience is very limited. I started out about 6 months ago playing with EOs, got into ACs and am going to try and take a serious run at this as a hobby over the next couple of years.

My experience with fragrances has been primarily commercial but recently ordered a bunch of samples of the most expensive frags I could find from luckyscent and noticed they all seem to share this "round" quality that I can not for the life of me figure out. They're not sharp like most of the commercial clean and aquatic scents I have experienced and I'm wondering; what's the secret?

Are there some accords I should be playing with to achieve this?

Any tips, tricks and insights you guys could offer?

Default Re: Seeking that "roundness"

Hi and welcome to the forum. Woody amber notes in modern aquatics are most likely what create that sharp note, accompanied by a varying array of aquatic/marine ACs and naturals (vetiver for example). Woody amber materials like ambrocenide, norlimbanol, karanal, Z11, etc., provide a sharp note that tends to work well with aquatics, as well as other types.

Just to try to help more, which fragrance samples do you have?

2 man, Mr. Vetiver, some Zoologist, Rogue Perfumery stuff, etc. None of it is sharp (I'm not looking for sharp, I'm looking for round) sharp isnt terribly hard for me to achieve, that round completeness is what alludes me

Quote Originally Posted by AdamE View Post
    They're not sharp like most of the commercial clean and aquatic scents I have experienced and I'm wondering; what's the secret?

Are there some accords I should be playing with to achieve this?
    There is no secret. And there are no special accords. Most of what you find in more mass market scents (think P. Rbane) is loud. That is the trend. And there is no short supply of fragrances like this. 1million, bleu, sauvage, etc. Doesn't make them good, or bad, but quite ordinary. More can be said about that at a later time. Woody, DHM, sharp ambers, transparent floral and aquatic hearts, etc. This is what makes up many modern masculine fragrances -- quite a large number which fall into the "fougere" category for this given style. Truly this trend is getting a bit banal -- but there you have it.

What you seem to be describing is just high quality perfumery. I cannot comment as I have not smelled the individual samples which you have gotten your hands on; but brands like F.Malle do invest quite a lot in their fragrances, which is reflected in raw material choice and quality. The difference in smell is noticeable. One can find this sort of quality in fragrances with a larger distribution. To name but one relatively cheap, but quite gorgeous mass market fragrance: Kenzo for Men (the EDT, NOT the EDP). Or Terre. Chanel 19, Stella, or even Gucci Bloom. All of these are quite commercial and round. Or to take something even quite original: Memoire (also by Gucci). A rather polarizing, new transparent floral which captures quite well the sense of the name. It is quite well rounded and beautiful.

This "round" quality does exist outside of haute perfume -- but it does take practice to sort out. Keep smelling; and don't think there are magical accords and shortcuts. I am sure you will become well versed rather shortly. And welcome to the DIY community.