Code of Conduct

Default Candle questions

I have been a fragrance enthusiast for years, but I am just now starting to get into candles. I am halfway through the Voluspa Bourbon & Vanille candle and loving that. I picked up the 5 mini candle set from Diptyque recently and am working my way through those. I love the scents, but those candles are so tiny (35g), I have a hard time smelling them unless I am right up on them. My two recent acquisitions are the Nest Holiday (3 wick), and the Diptyque Feu de Bois standard size. I haven't burned either one of those.

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Candle questions

Are you familiar with the Astier De Villatte candles?
    Last edited by hednic; 3rd December 2019 at 08:02 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Are you familiar with the Astier Villatte candles?
    I am not, Hednic. Are they worth checking out?

Quote Originally Posted by jdp191 View Post
    I am not, Hednic. Are they worth checking out?
    Can only speak for myself. My wife and I have been buying them in bulk directly from the company in France for years and we love them. Very high quality and they offer a wide variety of scents. Not sure where you are located, but I believe there are a few US online retailers that sell a few of their candles. Aedes.com is one of them. https://www.aedes.com/collections/astier-de-villatte
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track. I haven't tried them yet but I've heard good things about Carriere Freres, which is by the Cire Trudon makers. Otherwise, from what little experience I have, it seems hard to beat Diptyque unless you shell out the big bucks.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Cire Trudon wins for me. I only have one, but wow, you don't even need to light it for it to stink up the room.

I also have some Mugler candles that I think they discontinued that I quite like (from his fancy line), and my all-time fav has been Oppoponax from Diptyque, although the quality of their stuff has suffered over the years.

I've heard lots of good things about Mizensir as well.

Can only speak for myself. My wife and I have been buying them in bulk directly from the company in France for years and we love them. Very high quality and they offer a wide variety of scents. Not sure where you are located, but I believe there are a few US online retailers that sell a few of their candles. Aedes.com is one of them. https://www.aedes.com/collections/astier-de-villatte
    Thanks! I'll check them out. Do you have some favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by jdp191 View Post
    Thanks! I'll check them out. Do you have some favorites?
    We alternate 11 different scents on a daily basis in 10 different rooms of our residence. I guess Aoyama, Rue Saint Honore, and Brasilia are my favorites. My wife loves Broadway, Delphes and Honolulu.

We alternate 11 different scents on a daily basis in 10 different rooms of our residence. I guess Aoyama, Rue Saint Honore, and Brasilia are my favorites. My wife loves Broadway, Delphes and Honolulu.
    Wow! I'm inviting myself to your house for the holidays.

Unfortunately not easy to find in the US, but another brand that's worth checking is Parfums de Nicolai.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Unfortunately not easy to find in the US, but another brand that's worth checking is Parfums de Nicolai.

cacio
    Love that house! Wasn't aware they made candles. Thanks.

Being a designer, i'm drawn to presentation as well as scent.

Diptyque is definitely a top contender with designs of their candles which can act as cool ornaments around the home.

Plethora of scents to choose from.

Bath and body works is good for price (3 wick) and their usage. Clearing out cooking smells and whatnot.