Code of Conduct

Default The writing instruments thread

Seems like there are a few threads here about watches, shoes and grooming, but I've seen nothing about pens, mechanical pencils and other writing instruments. So for the discussion of these things - luxury or otherwise - discuss away right here.

I personally have owned Parker pens in the past, but more recently have a Waterman. I wonder if people think Montblanc are good, worth it, etc. Any opinions?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The writing instruments thread

I like the Montblanc high-end pens, but prefer the Montegrappa high-end offerings of which I own a few.
    Last edited by hednic; 5th December 2019 at 03:27 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Nice to see a thread on writing instruments. I can’t speak for every model of Montblanc but I use a Meisterstück 144 in Fine and a 146 in Medium and find them excellent writers.

For many years I thought of Montblanc as merely for snob appeal and wanted nothing to do with them—until I wrote with one. That turned me into a fan. The thing is it’s best to try a pen before buying to see if you like the feel of it and the look it gives to your script. If you do follow up, rum, I’d be interested in your impressions.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Pens are too easy to lose for me to invest in a really nice one, so I've never gotten into this hobby. That said, I know a few die-hard pen enthusiasts and they're adamant that there's a growing crop of budget Chinese and Indian penmakers that are delivering great value. Accordingly, I have a Jinhao fountain pen that I use with Montblanc ink cartridges. It writes very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Nice to see a thread on writing instruments. I can’t speak for every model of Montblanc but I use a Meisterstück 144 in Fine and a 146 in Medium and find them excellent writers.

For many years I thought of Montblanc as merely for snob appeal and wanted nothing to do with them—until I wrote with one. That turned me into a fan. The thing is it’s best to try a pen before buying to see if you like the feel of it and the look it gives to your script. If you do follow up, rum, I’d be interested in your impressions.
    Thanks for this - in a way this is what I was hoping not to hear!
    I am looking at the Le Grand range as I like the balance and feel of it. It's between rollerball and fountain in my case - both write very well and the rollerball seems less messy to me. I've owned fountain pens in the past. I just can't risk another leaky-pen-and-shirt incident.

I've always wanted to get a nice writing pen. The most I've ever spent was probably around $10 for one at Staples. I've never looked out in the wild outside of stores like Staples or Target. As far as brick 'n mortar stores, in the US, where are some good places to look?

For regular office use, I always go with Pilot G-2, Bold
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

So far, the most expensive one did ever own and use was an early 90s Lamy fountain pen, but would hardly call it high end.

Other than this, the one that got most daily use including several exams for both high school and university plus daily use during most if not all classes during university was a sturdy Herlitz pen, also from the (this time mid to late) 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    As far as brick 'n mortar stores, in the US, where are some good places to look?
    There aren't any chain stores I'd recommend. You're best bet is to find a boutique that specializes in pen and paper.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I've always wanted to get a nice writing pen. The most I've ever spent was probably around $10 for one at Staples. I've never looked out in the wild outside of stores like Staples or Target. As far as brick 'n mortar stores, in the US, where are some good places to look?

For regular office use, I always go with Pilot G-2, Bold
    http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/storesofnote/usa.html
    Currently wearing: Antonia by Puredistance

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thanks for the link! Looks like nothing close to me. My city isn't listed.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

As far as brick 'n mortar stores, in the US, where are some good places to look?
    Levenger
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I have some really nice pens but my everyday ones are by the German company Kaweco ( https://www.kaweco-pen.com/en/). Great pens, very inexpensive, lots of different styles and a great logo. The sport model is my favorite:
    Kaweco.jpg
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics