Code of Conduct
o

Default Where to start ? Advice if possible on a perfume choice please.

Hi to anyone reading,

I have joined the forum hoping somebody might be able to help me. I appreciate if anybody has a wee bit of time to reply with some advice, as I am currently clueless and a bit desperate. To explain: My extremely disabled father (no verbal communication) has asked if I will 'find some perfume for my Mum for Christmas' and for me to choose ! I have explained to him that it is such a personal choice and I don't know where to start, as haven't used perfume myself for 25 years. You need some knowledge and expertise in order to make any decisions, and base-line you need to test, and I'm not in any position in terms of location to do that. I could make a very expensive mistake !

Anyway, with all that aside, he repeated the request twice for me to choose and it is to be something different from the 'Diorissimo' she has been using for the last decades. Prior to the Diorissimo I can recall some 'Rive Gauche' hanging around, and at some point 'La Prairie' (which I think no longer exists ?). My mother is a young in mind 75 yo, and to be honest apart from knowing the facts I've already stated about what she likes/d I really don't know where to start.

Does anybody have any suggestions at all ?

Thanks everso

Default Re: Where to start ? Advice if possible on a perfume choice please.

Oh just to add, price isn't a major deciding factor and small quantities of eau de parfum in a tester set would be good too......if anybody knows where I can get such a thing ?

I would try something like this:

https://www.sephora.com/buy/perfume-samplers

You basically buy a kit of a bunch of samples, and the price includes a voucher for a full bottle of whichever she likes best.

Depending on your location, several drug stores have similar kits. If you want to go higher-end, you can on the website of any shop like Luckyscent or Twisted Lily and order a bunch of samples.

There are also sampling sites like The Perfumed Court that sell themed-sample sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    I would try something like this:

https://www.sephora.com/buy/perfume-samplers

You basically buy a kit of a bunch of samples, and the price includes a voucher for a full bottle of whichever she likes best.

Depending on your location, several drug stores have similar kits. If you want to go higher-end, you can on the website of any shop like Luckyscent or Twisted Lily and order a bunch of samples.

There are also sampling sites like The Perfumed Court that sell themed-sample sets.

Aha, thanks for your reply. So there are places that you can buy samples that way.....however, I'm in the UK I should have made that clear. From what I can see those sites are not in the UK ? (and would make it hard even if they do ship to UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Charys View Post
    Aha, thanks for your reply. So there are places that you can buy samples that way.....however, I'm in the UK I should have made that clear. From what I can see those sites are not in the UK ? (and would make it hard even if they do ship to UK)
    For euro stores - Les Senteurs and Escentual in UK, First in Fragrance in Germany, and I'm sure Sephora has UK locations.

Basenotes Plus

I find so touching that your dad is still thinking of a gift for your mom, despite his disabilities.

The idea of samples and a gift certificate is always sound, but perhaps your dad would like to see your mom open a lovely bottle? If she likes Diorissimo and Rive Gauche, I would bet that she would also like Patou's 1000. I would suggest the Eau de Parfum. It's a lovely gift and should be easy to find. If you want to go a bit spendier, you could do Patou Joy Extrait. 1000 and Joy are both classics.

I hope you and your parents have a wonderful holiday.

I also am moved by your father's wish to make a gift to your mother, and by your wish to make it happen.
    Bloom Perfumery (London, Covent Garden, but also online) does lovely sample sets: https://bloomperfume.co.uk/collectio...ry-samplepacks. (Each set is about 10 different perfumes, 1ml each, could it be a bit too anorak? - I've gifted a few to friends and some found it a little overwhelming.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    For euro stores - Les Senteurs and Escentual in UK, First in Fragrance in Germany, and I'm sure Sephora has UK locations.
    Sephora pulled out of the UK completely some years ago.

Les Senteurs' website groups its fragrances by "fragrance family", & send quite generously-sized samples on request. l'm sure if you contact them they would be happy to advise on possible choices.

Roullier White's website is definitely worth a look, as well.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Guys, thanks so much for your thoughts - that gives me lots to work on and think about this AM and I will come back and let you know how I get on. Yeah, its taken 2 weeks of yes/no eye movements to get to this point (end stage MND) of finding out what his request is, hes a man of amazing strength and fortitude. Thanks so much again, I'm off to look those things up you've all suggested.

Sampling can always be a good thing, further expanding with lower costs and risks the options worth considering, while Rive Gauche by YSL still seems in production, as well as some of the La Prairie scents-however did not manage to find any info yet about which ones from this latter brand are not discontinued and widely, easily available.

If getting samples of both Rive Gauche and anythying by La Prairie still in production is not an issue, would simply take it from there and/or how fellow posters recommended, use the search function offered by certain fragrance sites to find similar scents with comparable notes.
    Along with narrowing down the selection and reducing the likeliness of costly mistakes, it may also provide hints and ideas to search for that one or few specific fragrance (s) that do not only suit her best, but also provide the best offers on gift sets-thus adding more value for money while also a memorable festive style, fitting the special occasion, to the purchase.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

This is a great suggestion. Given your motherís preferences, a classic perfume in the more traditional style is likely to work better for her tastes.

Sheís been a decades long fan of Diorissimo, (a beautiful perfume!) and Rive Gauche, which tells us a lot. Patou would be an excellent place to start. You could also look at Mitsouko, by Guerlain - this is readily available at any good sized department store, and has been in production for 100 years (itís enduringly loved).

If expense is not a concern, perhaps Le Parfum de Therese, by Frederic Malle might suit her taste? Itís the closest modern perfume to Diorella, the Ďsisterí perfume to Diorissimo, and is distinctly in that style. Similar enough that your mother will find familiarity with things she owns, but different enough to stand out. It was created by Edmond Roudnitska, the same perfumer who created Diorissimo, for his wife in the 60s as her personal fragrance. He allowed Malle to produce it for sale after she died. Itís a love letter in perfume.

If you can test it first, thatís always best, as itís a potentially expensive mistake. Perhaps a sample along with a gift card would be a way to do this? Then if she loves it, she can purchase (or you could purchase for her).

If youíd really like for him to be able to present her a bottle (we all know the joy of that here!) a final thought would be to check the return policy of the store you purchase from. You can let them know itís a gift, and ask them to include a sample of the perfume with the order. She gets the bottle to unwrap, but can test the sample and return the bottle unopened if itís not to her taste.

Let us know what you choose and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I find so touching that your dad is still thinking of a gift for your mom, despite his disabilities.

The idea of samples and a gift certificate is always sound, but perhaps your dad would like to see your mom open a lovely bottle? If she likes Diorissimo and Rive Gauche, I would bet that she would also like Patou's 1000. I would suggest the Eau de Parfum. It's a lovely gift and should be easy to find. If you want to go a bit spendier, you could do Patou Joy Extrait. 1000 and Joy are both classics.

I hope you and your parents have a wonderful holiday.
    ďChypreishĒ:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreishĒ

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Lellabelle View Post
    If you’d really like for him to be able to present her a bottle (we all know the joy of that here!) a final thought would be to check the return policy of the store you purchase from. You can let them know it’s a gift, and ask them to include a sample of the perfume with the order. She gets the bottle to unwrap, but can test the sample and return the bottle unopened if it’s not to her taste.
    This is such a useful tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Charys View Post
    I am very touched by your posts.

In the UK, apart from Les Senteurs (who have a reputation for being very helpful, and would be my first stop) and Roullier White, you can also buy samples online from Scent Samples and Fragrance Samples UK. All provide good samples and service.

I hope you find something that your mother will really enjoy wearing, and your father will be pleased with.
    January to Candlemas - cold, pale and dark : CdG Zagorsk; PradaInfusion d'Iris; L.T Piver Heliotrope Blanc; Etro Heliotrope and Vetiver; Gucci Guilty Absolute pH; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Lalique Encre Noire.
    Sampling Papillon Angelique; Tom Daxon Iridium; Rundholz Feb 14, 1912, Andy Tauer Lonesome Rider; Penhaligon's Sartorial; Tom Ford Ombre Leather.