Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Default Re: Ever notice how guys call perfume "juice" when describing the liquid?

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    '

Plus all that talk of 'performance', as if it were Harleys that were under discussion rather than just smelling nice.
    I've thought the same thing about the word performance.I think that is also a fairly modern term when it comes to perfumes and colognes.I'm guilty of sometimes using it myself but no longer.In my opinion the old ways of describing things are the best.The modern ways sound ridiculous.They are not clever or original sounding,just stupid.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Ever notice how guys call perfume "juice" when describing the liquid?

It's a slippery slope:

frag...fume...juice...beast mode...daily driver...panty dropper

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    It's a slippery slope:

I think beast mode,panty dropper and daily driver are even worse or just as bad as juice.

From this point on, no more descriptive words and/or synonyms.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Lets look at some of the words/terms

Juice - maybe just a way to express a perfume with fruity notes such as lychee, peach etc. until it has fallen into regular use in the perfume lexicon.

Fume - occasionally short for perfume as in ‘fume or as it is a root in several languages such as French, Italian, Greek - meaning smoke, to smoke, to fragrance with smoke. It may seem immature or not fit for purpose but its entirely valid.

Panty dropper - to drop panties. As in the juice was so wonderful the person would as thoug under some mysterious spell spontaneously lose control of their pantaloons.
    The last one isn’t a term I personally like but you know what, if it allows a couple of guys at a bar to have a conversation and bond about a fragrance without smashing each others heads in then live and let live I say.

Language evolves in such ways. Language needs room to move and change otherwise it becomes stagnant and fusty.

Speaking properly with exacting standards and elocution, if taken to extremes, can become the equivalent of mental and expressive constipation.

Just occasionally cut loose.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

My roommate called me out on calling perfume juice as if I might mistakenly lead a stranger into drinking it, to which I then retorted:

"There have been people joking about eating Tide pods since 2015, I think I'm good."
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    I think beast mode,panty dropper and daily driver are even worse or just as bad as juice.
    I agree that language is an evolving, living breathing thing. Thinking about it now, I'm certain that these terms are used mainly by the men who talk about fragrances on YouTube (not the everyday man buying something to smell nice), which is probably a small group. I just found the masculine affectation toward perfume interesting and even endearing ('daily driver' is cute, but 'panty dropper' is disgusting).

I am definitely all for men getting together and talking about perfume or frags, as long as it's not in any way harmful towards women.

It's similar to how I want men to value friendships and vulnerability/closeness more... if the term 'bromance' helps, then I think that's still progress?? I hope that makes sense.
    (^‿^)

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    I've thought the same thing about the word performance.I think that is also a fairly modern term when it comes to perfumes and colognes.I'm guilty of sometimes using it myself but no longer.In my opinion the old ways of describing things are the best.The modern ways sound ridiculous.They are not clever or original sounding,just stupid.
    Performance is my favorite term that I've heard and it definitely reminds me of car reviews haha
    (^‿^)

I think you may be right about those terms mainly used by guys on youtube..I usually never watch YouTube reviews but a couple of years I watched a few of those so called fragrance reviewers and that is the place I heard those terms and descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by morning light View Post

I am definitely all for men getting together and talking about perfume or frags, as long as it's not in any way harmful towards women.

It's similar to how I want men to value friendships and vulnerability/closeness more... if the term 'bromance' helps, then I think that's still progress?? I hope that makes sense.
    It makes sense to me.Although I have got to admit I don't like the term bromance either.Call me old fashioned.

Basenotes Plus

IMO as long as the audience understands it, who cares which terms are used? There might be some subcultural context to it but it’s a public forum after all. The men do tend to obsess over ‘performance’ issues but seriously, where’s the harm? Let’s not get too pedantic here.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    I like juice....I’ll use it in regards to the liquid itself usually, rather than the smell, or whole package
    I use it the same way, if talking distinctly of the liquid in the bottle, almost like a technical term for the liquid only. I would not likely use it interchangeably with concept words like perfume, fragrance, or scent.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Chance Parfum by Chanel

Fwiw, people were calling it “juice” when I started collecting back in ‘85 so the idea that it’s a “modern” term is lost on me. I do find it interesting to see what type of connotations people have for these different words though. For me, when I was growing up “cologne” always sounded like the stuff teenagers put on to attract whoever they were trying to attract. “Perfume” sounded like something someone’s great aunt wore when they were going to a rotary meeting. “Fragrance” always a sounded way too pretentious for me to deal with... I suppose I’ve never found a term that I truly resonate with for describing this stuff!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    IMO as long as the audience understands it, who cares which terms are used? There might be some subcultural context to it but it’s a public forum after all. The men do tend to obsess over ‘performance’ issues but seriously, where’s the harm? Let’s not get too pedantic here.
    Amen.There's also the "mountain out of a molehill" phenomenon going on here.

Basenotes Plus

It's a slippery slope:

This was meant to be a joke!

Just slapping on some old man juice, it's going to be beast mode tonight.

Basenotes Plus

Perfectly acceptable in the General Discussion Forum!

Risky in the Aventus Forum, where Male Nurture reigns
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Perfectly acceptable in the General Discussion Forum!

Risky in the Aventus Forum, where Male Nurture reigns
    Toxic Aventusicity

Apparently there was a special edition Creed made for OJ. The cap was made too small for the sprayer. They just called it Juice 1995. If you can find them they go for a carton load.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Apparently there was a special edition Creed made for OJ. The cap was made too small for the sprayer. They just called it Juice 1995. If you can find them they go for a carton load.
    If the cap don't fit, you've got to acquit. First editions were shipped in white Ford Broncos to boutiques.

Can’t stand the use of the word and wish bad things on the person that uses it every time I see it
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / Incense Oud
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Layton / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Baccarat Rouge 540
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Clive X

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    Can’t stand the use of the word and wish bad things on the person that uses it every time I see it
    umm sir please
    (^‿^)

Quote Originally Posted by morning light View Post
    umm sir please
    No idea what your comment is supposed to mean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Amen.There's also the "mountain out of a molehill" phenomenon going on here.
    Ahem!

Basenotes Plus

Can't hear the word "juice" anymore without thinking of the endlessly delightful Lizzo...

It ain't my fault that I'm out here gettin' loose
    Gotta blame it on the Goose
    Gotta blame it on my juice, baby
    It ain't my fault that I'm out here makin' news
    I'm the pudding in the proof
    Gotta blame it on my juice

I believe she is using juice in a different sense, but perhaps she does mean her perfume.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I'm also reminded of the irreverent 1994 release "Gin and Juice:"

Rollin down the street, smokin' indo, sippin' on gin and juice
    Laid back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind

Sillage Monster

I like the insider terminology used within our hobby community because it’s more lighthearted and fun! What are we supposed to say? Liquid, fluid, contents? Pretty boring.
    Note to self: Choose being kind over being right, and you’ll be right every time.
    Currently wearing: Patch Flash by Tauerville

getting all the girls

"Man, you got the juice. Your phone blowin' up!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Pretty boring.
    It's just boring, not pretty boring. Stop being overly descriptive, jeez! So annoying, lol
    I think if we just use the original Latin names for everything, then we'll be safe. Today, Polo is my sucus.

Basenotes Plus

it's used as slang for so many things...

juice = electricity
    juice = gasoline (fuel) "give it more juice", "gotta stop and get some go-go juice"
    juice = steroids "that guys on the juice"
    juice = street credibility (tons of references in hip-hop songs)
    juice = alcohol "who's bringing the juice to the party?"
    juice = gossip
    juice = money

and on and on.

My wife drinks a lot of actual juice. When she's mid sip, I like to yell out a line from one of my favorites artists "Bring on the juice, Make me sweat!", so she laughs and spits it out. (James Brown's Funky Drummer)
    Currently wearing: Oud Monarch by Bortnikoff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast