Code of Conduct
o

Default on the subject(s) of humidity and mild exercise

I noticed I wasn't having much luck with certain scents which should in theory have been performing better on me. By perform I mean "being able to smell them after an hour or so". Now humid rainy season has gone and the mornings are much drier and cooler, I've noticed better performance, longevity and just richness, especially with the Havana and Azzaro PH. Also, I have noticed a big difference after a week or so of gentle evening walks, which seem to have given my metabolism a boost and improved not only the performance on my skin, but the sensitivity of my nose to be able to smell them.

So, for those in humid climates like me. Don't expect too much , because when it's very humid, nothing much can escape from the skin unless you sit in front of a fan. Unless you can carry a portable fan around the streets of Havana or Managua with you, like I do, you are not going to get very good performance out of most fragrances, unless they happen to be burning tankers of vanilla gasoline and incense like Interlude, or something like Kouros, which I think is probably detectable even in the bowels of deep space, and will probably be how our species will eventually be detected by distant alien life.

Gentle exercise, like walking, light gardening, bread-making, housework, leatherwork or mild sex...at least to be slightly active, and a portable fan, if possible attached to the top of your hat, facing down slightly, for people living in humid climes.

ps- another technique, less obvious and more discreet, is to attach a portable fan to the underside of your sun umbrella, which most people here carry to protect against the suns rays.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: on the subject(s) of humidity and mild exercise

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    attach a portable fan to the underside of your sun umbrella, which most people here carry to protect against the suns rays.
    I think if it's only protecting you from the sun, then technically it's a parasol.
    Last edited by Cook.bot; 7th December 2019 at 07:34 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I personally don't like humid conditions and from personal experience can definitely understand what you're saying. At times it's like that also in Manuel Antonio and Buzios.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I think if it's only protecting you from the sun, then techically it's a parasol.
    You are, of course, exactamente correcto

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I personally don't like humid conditions and from personal experience can definitely understand what you're saying. At times it's like that also in Manuel Antonio and Buzios.
    I personally hate them, hednic, but didn't know just how much , until I saw how they were interfering with my enjoying of the fragrances I have been spending my hard earned cash on. And by hard-earned, i mean getting at 4am every morning to teach Chinese children. I apply my fragrances around 4am, then re-apply around 10am, possibly again around 4pm and sometimes, if it's something nice and soft like 3'rd Man, before I go to bed at 7pm. This helps me sleep better.

Basenotes Plus

I don't like very dry weather either and think it is poor for fragrance projection. So strike off very humid and very dry weather. The happy medium is best.

Sex is always helpful I find.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I don't like very dry weather either and think it is poor for fragrance projection. So strike off very humid and very dry weather. The happy medium is best.

Sex is always helpful I find.

Ok. Sounds good. I think somewhere like the South of France or Tuscany might be the ideal middle ground. The region around Toulouse would be perfect.

I've had my fill of this place, but my partner is too fond of her begonias for us to up and leave now.

As for sex being "helpful", I'm sure it is, but I wouldn't know. I was just suggesting it because I know it's an activity enjoyed by the rest of the human species and have heard they quite like it. I do a lot of leathermaking, though.

Basenotes Plus

I've had my fill of this place, but my partner is too fond of her begonias for us to up and leave now.
    Oooo, are they tuberous begonias? If so, I could sympathize with her position.

I know it's an activity enjoyed by the rest of the human species and have heard they quite like it.
    I've been told that some like it just as much as begonias.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

In humid weather I generally use short lived scents and reapply.
    mild exercise raises skin temperature and therefore helps projection.
    more vigorous exercise resulting in sweat means the fragrance almost gets washed off and it disappears quickly.
    performance seems best in dry weather, and I often think that most fragrances are composed in dry, aircondtioned environments and seem to perform at their best in similar conditions - low humidity, not too hot and not too cold.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    In humid weather I generally use short lived scents and reapply.
    mild exercise raises skin temperature and therefore helps projection.
    more vigorous exercise resulting in sweat means the fragrance almost gets washed off and it disappears quickly.
    performance seems best in dry weather, and I often think that most fragrances are composed in dry, aircondtioned environments and seem to perform at their best in similar conditions - low humidity, not too hot and not too cold.
    Useful to know, thanks. My Havana is projecting much better now, only re-applied once today. Such a lovely scent, sweet tobacco and bay rum.

Useful to know, thanks. My Havana is projecting much better now, only re-applied once today. Such a lovely scent, sweet tobacco and bay rum.
    I'm so glad you're now able to enjoy this masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'm so glad you're now able to enjoy this masterpiece.
    It's a nice feeling, to smell like a man who isn't wearing a scent, but who smells as if he has spent the day in some Havana bar smoking fine cigars and drinking bay rum while the world goes by. And it really does suit Nicaragua.

Basenotes Junkie

“Mild” sex? Lol

a quarter million, tops

Some funny things here, lol. Concerning humidity, it prevents evaporation, leaving the fragrance to languish on the skin. Sweat slowly washing it away. The wetter it gets the drier i like em. I wore Kouros while working heavily outside this summer and it pounded right through heat, humidity, and sweaty exertion. So theres that, i guess.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Some funny things here, lol. Concerning humidity, it prevents evaporation, leaving the fragrance to languish on the skin. Sweat slowly washing it away. The wetter it gets the drier i like em. I wore Kouros while working heavily outside this summer and it pounded right through heat, humidity, and sweaty exertion. So theres that, i guess.
    sounds like maybe what I need. Something that can pound right through.

Fahrenheit might be a contender too.

So far, have to second the opinion (s) that weather conditions between moderately dry and moderately humid, just right in the middle (or close to average, median values of air humidity) did so far help to get the most/best performance but also richness of nuances from the majority of scents owned and used.

As for mild sex, I suppose it would be the cheese equivalent of something like Brie.