Code of Conduct

Default Where did this smell originate? 70's-80's..?

It's taken me literally months to find out what this smell was. The past couple years I've been catching a whiff of people that smell precisely like a scent that I remember from my childhood, mid 80's onwards. Not having the courage to ask them what it was lol, I had to hunt it down myself. When I heard of Aramis I thought I bet that's the one, had a go on that and realised that indeed was yet another 80's memorable scent that came flooding back, but obvs nothing like Aventus at all.

Then I eventually asked someone in a club and they just said "Creed", not which one. So I went to a Creed shop and squirted every one of them. Nothing smelled like Aventus, quite simply cuz the wet-up smells absolutely nothing like the incredible dry-down that I've been noticing for decades. But when the Aventus tester started to change a few hours later, I was jumping for joy that I'd finally found it.

Then I discovered that Aventus was only invented in 2010. So my question is, what was I smelling through the 80's? My guess is it was still Creed but another version which had to be discontinued due to the new animal products laws that came in, so I read, in around 2010. That would make sense that they make a new version with a differnt name and lose the animal products.

So my question, what was that original called? Could it have been something that wasn't actually Creed at all? cheers

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Where did this smell originate? 70's-80's..?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlow77 View Post
    Could it have been something that wasn't actually Creed at all? cheers
    That would be my guess although have no idea what it could be.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

I can't think of anything that would smell like Aventus' drydown that was on the market in the 70 or 80s, or any time period before, say, Ralph Lauren's Purple Label (2003) that I can remember.

Maybe try the vintage perfume sub-forum?

It has to be an 80s vintage with oakmoss and woodsy notes that resemble that of aventus. I haven’t tried Any 80s colognes i can remember. Maybe someone more familiar with 80s scents would know.

To my nose, Yatagan has a very similar smell in the late drydown.

Blog Entries

I agree it smells like a descendent of 80s powerhouses. But at every stage it copies those powerhouses using different notes. The great oak moss fragrances of the past had a similar nose curlingly good dry down .
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator