Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 29 of 29
o
  1. #1

    Default A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Greetings, ladies and gents!

    I am in need of your assistance once again.

    I am looking for a perfume for my dear grandmother, who is in her 70s. The tricky part is that I know little of her taste, so I employ some guess work.

    Here we go...
    Fortunately, I do know that she enjoys a bit more intensive scents, so the perfume should not be too light, and in fact can be just a tad on the bold side but since it is intended for somewhat frequent social gatherings with her friends, it shouldn't be heavy or aggressive either. I'm guessing something classy, sophisticated, elegant, but still with a bit of character and personality.
    We are not looking for sweet, sexy, romantic, or energetic scents for dates or parties here

    My grandmother has little experience with perfumes overall and her standards are low, so she would probably enjoy almost anything I get, but I would still like to make sure I get something that has a higher chance of being liked/loved.

    Unfortunately, since my budget is rather limited, I'm looking at the cheapies by Jil Sander, Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth Arden, Rasasi, but of course it can be any other brand, as long as the juice is decent.

    My primary shop is Notino.

  2. #2

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Hard to say without knowing what she likes. Maybe one of the Guerlain classics? (Mitsouko, Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue).

  3. #3

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by AliveNoMore View Post
    Greetings, ladies and gents!

    I am in need of your assistance once again.

    I am looking for a perfume for my dear grandmother, who is in her 70s. The tricky part is that I know little of her taste, so I employ some guess work.

    Here we go...
    Fortunately, I do know that she enjoys a bit more intensive scents, so the perfume should not be too light, and in fact can be just a tad on the bold side but since it is intended for somewhat frequent social gatherings with her friends, it shouldn't be heavy or aggressive either. I'm guessing something classy, sophisticated, elegant, but still with a bit of character and personality.
    We are not looking for sweet, sexy, romantic, or energetic scents for dates or parties here

    My grandmother has little experience with perfumes overall and her standards are low, so she would probably enjoy almost anything I get, but I would still like to make sure I get something that has a higher chance of being liked/loved.

    Unfortunately, since my budget is rather limited, I'm looking at the cheapies by Jil Sander, Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth Arden, Rasasi, but of course it can be any other brand, as long as the juice is decent.

    My primary shop is Notino.
    White Diamonds.

  4. #4

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    L'Heure Bleue is available on Notino:

    https://www.notino.co.uk/guerlain/lh...fum-for-women/

    It's a nice scent, not very light, a little old fashioned yet easy to love. It is on the sweeter side though.

  5. #5

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Lancôme Magie Noire (vintage preferable but any formulation will do)
    Cacharel LouLou
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

  6. #6

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Hard to say without knowing what she likes. Maybe one of the Guerlain classics? (Mitsouko, Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue).
    Yes, I know it is a huge challenge to pick a fragrance for someone, whose tastes are unknown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    L'Heure Bleue is available on Notino:

    https://www.notino.co.uk/guerlain/lh...fum-for-women/

    It's a nice scent, not very light, a little old fashioned yet easy to love. It is on the sweeter side though.
    The problem with Guerlain is that they are out of my budget. I already purchased her something else, so the perfume is a small bonus, and I cannot spend as much on it, as I would like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    White Diamonds.
    That is actually one of the candidates so far. It seems to be considered by many to be a staple of perfumes for women, and a classic. So perhaps it is as close to a safe blind buy as it can get?
    Still, I did notice a very high dislike score for it on Fragrantica, which stops me from just buying it outright.

    My other candidates are some of the other "Diamonds &" scents, and also Black Pearls. Catherine by Rasasi (which is supposedly a clone of Nude by Bill Blass) kind of looks decent. Or maybe I am way off with these.

  7. #7

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Please don't buy Black Pearls - it's probably one of the worst things I've ever smelled.

    As far as the other ___ Diamonds, none are as good as White Diamonds.

  8. #8

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Royal Princess Oud
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

  9. #9

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Royal Princess Oud
    Thank you.
    That perfume will certainly fit within my $20-25 budget.

  10. #10

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by AliveNoMore View Post
    Thank you.
    That perfume will certainly fit within my $20-25 budget.
    I don't know what the exchange rate is in Bulgaria since I don't speak Bulgarian, but in the UK you would be able to find precisely 3 fragrances at Notino in that price range.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

  11. #11
    Basenotes Plus
    speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,042

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Creed Vanisia

    Since price is considered something by Guerlain for sure or a classic Chanel fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  12. #12

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    White Diamonds is a bit of a love it or hate it fragrance, so it's hard to say whether your Grandmother would like it. I had a look at some lower priced options on Notino, and I can vouch for this one being quite nice:

    https://www.notino.co.uk/elizabeth-a...fum-for-women/

  13. #13

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Also adding Yardley English Lavender and if testing options are available (while not always reliable with Notino, these brands are not entirely absent from the offers either, including as small, affordable samples), would sample a few of the EDP strength fragrances by the brands l'Erbolario and l'Occitane, as it is almost impossible not to find something clean, inoffensive and classic within their quite diverse output.

    Would go even further and become more specific, focusing especially on the more timeless, versatile output of l'Erbolario, appropriate and stylish yet also easy to wear at any age like Regine dei Prati, Neroli, Hedera, Frescaessenza and a few more like these.

  14. #14

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    I don't know what the exchange rate is in Bulgaria since I don't speak Bulgarian, but in the UK you would be able to find precisely 3 fragrances at Notino in that price range.
    I'm kind of shocked I need to clarify this more.
    The perfume does not need to be exactly between those two numbers.
    When I say "budget", I mean that is the upper limit of the amount of money I'm willing to spend.
    It was an approximation. Let's round it to $30.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    White Diamonds is a bit of a love it or hate it fragrance, so it's hard to say whether your Grandmother would like it. I had a look at some lower priced options on Notino, and I can vouch for this one being quite nice:

    https://www.notino.co.uk/elizabeth-a...fum-for-women/
    I did also consider that, but according to some reviews, it has a more flirty and playful vibe, and I'm not sure I'm looking for something like that. I will look into it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Also adding Yardley English Lavender and if testing options are available (while not always reliable with Notino, these brands are not entirely absent from the offers either, including as small, affordable samples), would sample a few of the EDP strength fragrances by the brands l'Erbolario and l'Occitane, as it is almost impossible not to find something clean, inoffensive and classic within their quite diverse output.

    Would go even further and become more specific, focusing especially on the more timeless, versatile output of l'Erbolario, appropriate and stylish yet also easy to wear at any age like Regine dei Prati, Neroli, Hedera, Frescaessenza and a few more like these.
    Could not find Yardley English Lavender or l'Erbolario.
    l'Occitane's offerings are only a few and they are all twice my budget.

  15. #15

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    I'm looking into some of Lalique's offerings, in particular Lalique de Lalique and Le Parfum.

  16. #16
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    where the wind makes the curve
    Posts
    6,160

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    +1 for L'Heure Bleue, Clinique Aromatics Elixir, YSL Rive Gauche (blue can), Moschino by Moschino, Obsession Women.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

  17. #17

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    +1 for L'Heure Bleue, Clinique Aromatics Elixir, YSL Rive Gauche (blue can), Moschino by Moschino, Obsession Women.
    Thank you for the suggestions!

    I will still consider extending the budget to accommodate L'Heure Bleue. Speaking of which, what of Mitsouko? On paper it should be more woody, and I remember my grandma liking one of my own Guerlains when I wore it, it was either Homme Intense or Homme L'Eau Boisee, so perhaps she would appreciate Mitsouko's woodiness.

    So far, my primary candidate for purchase is actually Perles de Lalique. Thoughts?

  18. #18
    Basenotes Member Jay-Lux'eau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Not sure if you should go by current fragrances of yours. She might just get blown away by something like this:

    lanvin-arpege-edp-vapo-100ml.jpg
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

  19. #19
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    43,640

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Samsara is a nice one.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  20. #20

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by AliveNoMore View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions!

    I will still consider extending the budget to accommodate L'Heure Bleue. Speaking of which, what of Mitsouko? On paper it should be more woody, and I remember my grandma liking one of my own Guerlains when I wore it, it was either Homme Intense or Homme L'Eau Boisee, so perhaps she would appreciate Mitsouko's woodiness.

    So far, my primary candidate for purchase is actually Perles de Lalique. Thoughts?
    Perles de Lalique is nice option, as long as she likes the smell of berries. It also comes in a beautiful bottle (because Lalique).

    Mitsouko has a learning curve at first, so not a good gift imo, unless the recipient already knows/loves it.

  21. #21

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Perles de Lalique is nice option, as long as she likes the smell of berries. It also comes in a beautiful bottle (because Lalique).
    I cannot be certain if she likes the smell of berries unless I ask her, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the perfume as a gift. Although, I doubt she would deduce why I am asking her about berries, should I decide to do that.

    In any case, she lives in the countryside, in a small village, so she is familiar with the smell of many fruits and herbs. That is why I feel somewhat confident in purchasing something woody/green, and avoiding fragrances that are very sweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Mitsouko has a learning curve at first, so not a good gift imo, unless the recipient already knows/loves it.
    That seems to also apply to White Diamonds, and possibly other ones.

    While there is a chance that she would actually love the more polarizing(?) scents, I would prefer to play it safe for the time being. Maybe later, if I need to purchase another perfume, I can get something... less safe.

    So, thus far I have the following options:
    - Aromatics Elixir
    - Arpège
    - Samsara
    - L'Heure Bleue (this one strikes me as probably a bit too sweet)
    - Mitsouko
    - Perles de Lalique

    They all look to be solid choices overall. However, which one (or two) is the safest blind buy?

    I can try to find samples but it's unlikely as the local stores here aren't large, and they tend to have mostly the popular/mainstream stuff, especially as testers.
    Last edited by AliveNoMore; 11th December 2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Typo

  22. #22

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by AliveNoMore View Post
    I cannot be certain if she likes the smell of berries unless I ask her, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the perfume as a gift. Although, I doubt she would deduce why I am asking her about berries, should I decide to do that.

    In any case, she lives in the countryside, in a small village, so she is familiar with the smell of many fruits and herbs. That is why I feel somewhat confident in purchasing something woody/green, and avoiding fragrances that are very sweet.


    That seems to also apply to White Diamonds, and possibly other ones.

    While there is a chance that she would actually love the more polarizing(?) scents, I would prefer to play it safe for the time being. Maybe later, if I need to purchase another perfume, I can get something... less safe.

    So, thus far I have the following options:
    - Aromatics Elixir
    - Arpège
    - Samsara
    - L'Heure Bleue (this one strikes me as probably a bit too sweet)
    - Mitsouko
    - Perles de Lalique

    They all look to be solid choices overall. However, which one (or two) is the safest blind buy?

    I can try to find samples but it's unlikely as the local stores here aren't large, and they tend to have mostly the popular/mainstream stuff, especially as testers.
    Arpege would be my vote. Perles is nice, but it's no Arpege. The others on your list are riskier as a blind buy.

  23. #23

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Thank you for your input!

    Any further opinions, on which of the aforementioned scents would be the safest pick, would be greatly appreciated.

  24. #24
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    where the wind makes the curve
    Posts
    6,160

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    L'Heure is more complex and opulent than Mitsouko, but not sweet. Mitsouko is more simple, so maybe is more safe than L'Heure. Aromatics Elixir is a classic chypre. Smells somehow similar to Aramis 900 and to Sisley Eau du Soir. Maybe you can find them out there. They are mossy, woody. I did them very classy. Whenever I feel their smell I think of a sophisticated person despite they smell a bit old school.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

  25. #25

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    I'm sure she'd probably appreciate any perfume from the timeless classics, and they would most likely remind her of her younger years.
    Shalimar and Mitsouko by Guerlain, Opium Yves Saint Laurent, Magie Noir Lancome, Climat Lancome... something in that range.

    I would also check eBay. Sometimes I buy stuff on auctions there just for the thrill of it, even if I don't really need it *ahem, no one is flawless*, sometimes I find real treasures (I collect discontinued fragrances) for very good prices.
    Not long ago I got a sealed bottle of Shalimar EDT 1 oz for less than $10, bid the minimum amount and forgot about it, was pretty surprised to learn I won a couple of days later.
    If your budget is limited, I would definitely check not only Notino, but eBay as well, not eBay stores though, but occasional sellers, as I call them, people that sell all sorts of things (e.g. vintage dolls, puzzles etc), they sometimes have true gems. They are more likely to have classical perfumes (most of the mentioned above in the thread) in their original formulation as well, which have deeper, richer smell compare to their modern versions available on sites like Notino.
    Just keep your eyes open, use common sense (ask for additional photos, batch codes etc), and I'm sure you'll be fine. Despite all the negative comments about eBay, it remains for me one of the main sources of rare frags, along with private forums and FB groups. I've been eBaying for around 5 years and never had any major problems. Had to return a perfume just once, and it was my fault as I got too excited and didn't check properly the seller / product.
    If you need help with eBay, feel free to PM me.

    P.S. I just checked, there's a Bulgarian version of Makeup site as well. They had good Guerlain prices lately.
    30 ml of Shalimar is 63 lv / 35 USD there, Chopard Wish 75 ml is 31 lv. I didn't dig further, but I'm sure something can be found in your price range on Makeup as well.
    Another idea: Jewellery makers often produce very decent and affordable fragrances as well (Chopard, Bvlgari, Cartier etc). I would probably chose that over Rasasi, but that's me.
    Good luck!

  26. #26

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by lilioka View Post
    I'm sure she'd probably appreciate any perfume from the timeless classics, and they would most likely remind her of her younger years.
    If she had worn such fragrances, no doubt receiving them again would bring back memories. But that's the tricky part: I don't know if she's ever event smelled those fragrances. In fact I strongly doubt it, although I cannot be certain. My grandmother has never had enough money to spend on many things on herself, so I doubt she's had such fragrances. And if she has never had the true powerhouses, maybe she would not appreciate them as much?

    Quote Originally Posted by lilioka View Post
    I would also check eBay.
    In this particular case I would have to forego eBay, as time is also a bit of a limiting factor, so I don't want to risk long shipping times.
    But I will keep it in mind for general future purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by lilioka View Post
    P.S. I just checked, there's a Bulgarian version of Makeup site as well. They had good Guerlain prices lately.
    30 ml of Shalimar is 63 lv / 35 USD there, Chopard Wish 75 ml is 31 lv. I didn't dig further, but I'm sure something can be found in your price range on Makeup as well.
    I know of Makeup. Problem is that sometimes prices on such stores look a bit too good to be true, like for example also Parfimo, which is supposedly part of a large (largest even) perfume (or cosmetics in general?) chain store in Europe.
    We have Douglas, but their assortment isn't particularly impressive, and I kind of need my organs, so I cannot afford to shop there.

    Quote Originally Posted by lilioka View Post
    Another idea: Jewellery makers often produce very decent and affordable fragrances as well (Chopard, Bvlgari, Cartier etc). I would probably chose that over Rasasi, but that's me.
    Good luck!
    I already looked into some of the jewelry ones, as I am already familiar with Bvlgari (loving their Pour Homme line + the original Aqva). However, none of their offerings ticked the necessary boxes.

    On the other hand, I've updated/modernized my list a bit after receiving some women's opinions on a local forum:
    - Aromatics Elixir
    - Arpège
    - Love in Paris
    - L'Instand de Guerlain EdT
    - Maitresse
    - Sensuous (Estee Lauder)

  27. #27

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by AliveNoMore View Post
    If she had worn such fragrances, no doubt receiving them again would bring back memories. But that's the tricky part: I don't know if she's ever event smelled those fragrances. In fact I strongly doubt it, although I cannot be certain. My grandmother has never had enough money to spend on many things on herself, so I doubt she's had such fragrances. And if she has never had the true powerhouses, maybe she would not appreciate them as much?
    Even if she had no money for those fragrances, undoubtedly she admired them and maybe even dreamt of them. It was impossible not to hear of these fragrances 40-50 years ago in Eastern Europe.
    As to Makeup, I'm not suggesting to buy some expensive niche perfumes there. Personally I bought several items on their site, many of people I personally know did as well, quality of their goods is consistent and authenticity is out of questions, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the site. If you check prices, they are comparable to Fragrancenet, FragranceX, BeautyEncounter etc. There's nothing "too good to be true" about them IMO. Some items are even cheaper on American sites compare to Makeup.
    Of course it's entirely up to you what to choose.

  28. #28
    Basenotes Member Jay-Lux'eau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by lilioka View Post
    I'm sure she'd probably appreciate any perfume from the timeless classics, and they would most likely remind her of her younger years.
    Shalimar and Mitsouko by Guerlain, Opium Yves Saint Laurent, Magie Noir Lancome, Climat Lancome... something in that range.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilioka View Post
    Even if she had no money for those fragrances, undoubtedly she admired them and maybe even dreamt of them. It was impossible not to hear of these fragrances 40-50 years ago in Eastern Europe.
    Yes, I bet she even had posters of these perfumes on her walls

    Quote Originally Posted by AliveNoMore View Post
    On the other hand, I've updated/modernized my list a bit after receiving some women's opinions on a local forum:
    - Aromatics Elixir
    - Arpège
    - Love in Paris
    - L'Instand de Guerlain EdT
    - Maitresse
    - Sensuous (Estee Lauder)
    OP already narrowed it down to this, chime in guys.
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

  29. #29

    Default Re: A fragrance for my beloved grandmother

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Lux'eau View Post
    OP already narrowed it down to this, chime in guys.
    Actually,... no need. I made the order. Thank you all for your comments!

    There were some changes to the original plan. Among others: 1) I decided to order a perfume for my mother as well, and 2) I decided to go with safer/more modern scents, as I managed to sneakily (I think) gather some more information.

    So, a few minutes ago I ordered two Guerlain fragrances: L'Instant de Guerlain (EdT) for my mother, and Idylle (EdT) for my grandmother. I really hope they like their gifts.

    While I was at it, I treated my self as well with Pino Silvestre Original (I fear would probably find it a bit too old-fashioned for my tastes, but it very cheap, and I bought it basically out of curiosity) and Riflesso by Trussardi.

    And right NOW I will also treat myself to a glass of milk.




Similar Threads

  1. Help a lady find her beloved man a perfect fragrance as a gift!
    By Maline in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 13th October 2018, 04:47 AM
  2. For my grandmother: which Lush?
    By _julia_ in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1st August 2018, 04:17 PM
  3. Unnamed, long-lost and beloved fragrance that I'm missing terribly
    By KleidoSenses in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th November 2013, 03:56 PM
  4. New Fragrance From AMOUAGE : BELOVED MAN! (Released!)
    By benzganesh in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 19th January 2013, 09:31 AM
  5. fragrance for my grandmother
    By vazioli in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 24th December 2007, 03:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000