Code of Conduct
o

Default can anyone talk about Aramis 900, Tuscany and Devin in terms of their performance?

I have heard very good things about these three fragrances, and wore vintage 900 when I was a vintage version of my current self. ( ie a young man).

I don't know Tuscany or Devin at all. I own Havana and am very happy with it now that I have learned when to wear it ( cooler mornings and days, not when humid).

Do you like the above mentioned fragrances and not only that, do you feel when you wear the modern versions of them that you need to re-apply during the day ?

What kind of longevity are you getting out of them ? What about the drydown experience of these fragrances? I like scents which, the day after, still leave an agreeable scent

on my skin, which leave a trace behind. Sometimes I don't even bother to apply again next morning, because this "after smell" is so nice.

Thanks for any input.

ps- I know there was a thread recently about 900, where someone mentioned the similarity with Aromatics Elixir by Clinique. Perhaps it would be ok to layer these two? If so, how does that work? Do you apply them both at the same time, or one first and another a bit later?

Default Re: can anyone talk about Aramis 900, Tuscany and Devin in terms of their performance?

Current Tuscany, which I've worn a lot, is no beast, but it gives me about 4-6 hours of longevity with 2 hrs of projection.

Vintage has more power.

Default Re: can anyone talk about Aramis 900, Tuscany and Devin in terms of their performance?

So far, owning and using the current (not vintage) Tuscany, have always gotten indeed moderate projection from it with more than decent longevity, often 8 hours plus as skin scent and the aforementioned 4-6 hours with more noticeable performance

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Current Tuscany, which I've worn a lot, is no beast, but it gives me about 4-6 hours of longevity with 2 hrs of projection.

Vintage has more power.
    when we talk about projection with scents, how is this different from longevity ? Does it mean when the scent is at the point where others are noticing it easily? Is it the same thing as sillage? I translated the word sillage from French and it says it means "wake", as in funeral wake. ))

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    So far, owning and using the current (not vintage) Tuscany, have always gotten indeed moderate projection from it with more than decent longevity, often 8 hours plus as skin scent and the aforementioned 4-6 hours with more noticeable performance
    To be honest, I don't ask much from my scents. I don't need or want to fill a whole room . I just ask that I be able to smell it MYSELF after a few hours. I hope that when you say "skin scent", you are able to smell it on yourself, without the need to lift your wrist to your nose ?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    Do you like the above mentioned fragrances
    I personally don't.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

when I was a vintage version of my current self. ( ie a young man).
    Haha that made me laff!
    Only really have experience with 900 ( new Gentlemans Collections bottle) of those mentioned. I think its pretty genius! Has a dank earthy mossy funk teamed with top rate rose, yet quite crisp and clean.
    What kind of longevity are you getting out of them ? Good. One of those that if it was any stronger would be too much - as it is - its pretty spot on for a subtle yet present aura. Lasts all day and sticks around a for another! I'm a 'topperer-upperer' so can't say by hrs - but would say it doesn't lack! If you did a good application few shots to clothes and a few to the skin - I'm sure it would all day goodiness.

Depends on how your application ritual is: I used to be a cautious sprayer - 3/4 max , but I'm getting a bit more heavy (5+) and overall my fragrance enjoyment experience is much better.

What about the drydown experience of these fragrances? Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Haha that made me laff!
    Only really have experience with 900 ( new Gentlemans Collections bottle) of those mentioned. I think its pretty genius! Has a dank earthy mossy funk teamed with top rate rose, yet quite crisp and clean.
    What kind of longevity are you getting out of them ? Good. One of those that if it was any stronger would be too much - as it is - its pretty spot on for a subtle yet present aura. Lasts all day and sticks around a for another! I'm a 'topperer-upperer' so can't say by hrs - but would say it doesn't lack! If you did a good application few shots to clothes and a few to the skin - I'm sure it would all day goodiness.

Depends on how your application ritual is: I used to be a cautious sprayer - 3/4 max , but I'm getting a bit more heavy (5+) and overall my fragrance enjoyment experience is much better.

What about the drydown experience of these fragrances? Spot on!

I'm glad you liked my little pun Ifti, I try to pop them in my posts just to compensate for the general irritation they seem to cause some people.

I have a book of Christmas jokes here too, just as back up.

Your post brightened my day, in so much as I used to LOVE 900 and am thinking of going for it with a new bottle of the new stuff. And as I know you are no slouch when it comes to the art of perfumery , as opposed to the parfumerie they practice in France, I feel re-assured that my $28 won't be wasted.

I'm an incurable "topper- upper", (not sure if that should be "topperer-upper" or even "topper-upperer" or even "topperer-upperer") and am constantly re-applying during the day, but because I am losing my sight in my old age, I've no idea what it is I'm re-applying, so it's pretty much pot luck on that score.

Sometimes, on a good day, I even manage to re-apply the one i'm actually wearing.

ps- Love your description.

I'm glad you liked my little pun Ifti, I try to pop them in my posts just to compensate for the general irritation they seem to cause some people.

I have a book of Christmas jokes here too, just as back up.

Your post brightened my day, in so much as I used to LOVE 900 and am thinking of going for it with a new bottle of the new stuff. And as I know you are no slouch when it comes to the art of perfumery , as opposed to the parfumerie they practice in France, I feel re-assured that my $28 won't be wasted.

I'm an incurable "topper- upper", (not sure if that should be "topperer-upper" or even "topper-upperer" or even "topperer-upperer") and am constantly re-applying during the day, but because I am losing my sight in my old age, I've no idea what it is I'm re-applying, so it's pretty much pot luck on that score.

Sometimes, on a good day, I even manage to re-apply the one i'm actually wearing.

ps- Love your description.
    Haha double triple rofls!
    I can't take any credit even as a non slouch hehe, all thanks is due to the congregation that is BN!
    I think the general consesus is that even in the new Gentlemans Collection the Aramis line is excellent. Lots of members frequently champion some of those mentioned like Tuscany & Devin. My 900 is either 1 or 2 years old now ( yep age is creeping on me too) - and has stewed nicely. I really hope you enjoy it!

My new Aramis 900 smells good but it doesn't last that long-so you definitely have to reapply. However, I don't do 5 sprays, but more like 2-3, so perhaps that's what makes the difference. Or perhaps I am a bit anosmic to the drydown.

Aromatics Elixir is definitely stronger and more long lasting, but I don't think one should layer-I suspect Aromatics Elixir would simply take over. Also, while close to Aramis 900, it's not exactly the same, so it's not clear that it would change Aramis 900 in a direction you like.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Haha double triple rofls!
    I can't take any credit even as a non slouch hehe, all thanks is due to the congregation that is BN!
    I think the general consesus is that even in the new Gentlemans Collection the Aramis line is excellent. Lots of members frequently champion some of those mentioned like Tuscany & Devin. My 900 is either 1 or 2 years old now ( yep age is creeping on me too) - and has stewed nicely. I really hope you enjoy it!

...Thanks again Ifti, you've confirmed my decision and i have notifed my camel. I mean mule. Always get them confused,

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    My new Aramis 900 smells good but it doesn't last that long-so you definitely have to reapply. However, I don't do 5 sprays, but more like 2-3, so perhaps that's what makes the difference. Or perhaps I am a bit anosmic to the drydown.

Aromatics Elixir is definitely stronger and more long lasting, but I don't think one should layer-I suspect Aromatics Elixir would simply take over. Also, while close to Aramis 900, it's not exactly the same, so it's not clear that it would change Aramis 900 in a direction you like.

cacio
    I think i'd love AE, the problem is my Mum used to wear it, and I'm not sure what Freud would make of me wearing one of my Mum's favourite perfumes. i think my Dad would rather I followed in his footsteps and just wore Brut. But I'd prefer AE to be honest. I love herbals.

My mom wore (and still wears) Aromatics Elixir too.

Vintage 900 in the brown bottle is beastly and as strong as AE.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Vintage 900 in the brown bottle is beastly and as strong as AE.
    I remember my vintage 900 was in a very dark blue bottle. * 1983/ 4

My mistake, you are right, it was brown. The packaging was blue, that's it.

If you know of any vintage going for sale, please let me know

when we talk about projection with scents, how is this different from longevity ? Does it mean when the scent is at the point where others are noticing it easily? Is it the same thing as sillage? I translated the word sillage from French and it says it means "wake", as in funeral wake. ))
    Nah, your French translation has the wrong context : yes, 'sillage' means 'wake', but as in the 'wake of a ship'; the furrow it leaves behind it. The scent trail you leave.
    Nothing whatever to do with funerals.

Back to the scents in question : Tuscany lasts about 6 hours on me, skin scent a bit longer. Devin likewise. Devin has that florist shop scent, all green and leafy-stemmy.

Question is what difference does the climate in Nicaragua make to how these work for you, as compared to me wearing them in Scotland.
    I've not worn or smelled Aramis 900 for ages.
    January to Candlemas - cold, pale and dark : CdG Zagorsk; PradaInfusion d'Iris; L.T Piver Heliotrope Blanc; Etro Heliotrope and Vetiver; Gucci Guilty Absolute pH; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Lalique Encre Noire.
    Sampling Papillon Angelique; Tom Daxon Iridium; Rundholz Feb 14, 1912, Andy Tauer Lonesome Rider; Penhaligon's Sartorial; Tom Ford Ombre Leather.

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    Nah, your French translation has the wrong context : yes, 'sillage' means 'wake', but as in the 'wake of a ship'; the furrow it leaves behind it. The scent trail you leave.
    Nothing whatever to do with funerals.

Back to the scents in question : Tuscany lasts about 6 hours on me, skin scent a bit longer. Devin likewise. Devin has that florist shop scent, all green and leafy-stemmy.

Question is what difference does the climate in Nicaragua make to how these work for you, as compared to me wearing them in Scotland.
    I've not worn or smelled Aramis 900 for ages.
    in the wake of your last post, I looked up prices on Ebay and 900 is gan for a fortune.

6 hours will do me. Humid season is over now. In theory.

I find Aramis 900 even more similar to Eau du Soir by Sisley. The current 900 doesn't have a huge projection. Both AE and Eau du Soir are more potent.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Aromatics Elixir is also pretty darn good.

"Call it a "Celebration of Life" if you want, but a wake is still a sad occasion. You've lost someone you love. It's especially heart-breaking when it is too soon.

At my friend Luke's wake, we were stunned, always assuming that he would join the rest of us into middle age and the autumn years before our final resting stop. We all spoke, cried and ate. A final group hug, however, evolved into something from a comedy. "Uh, not to be weird, but somebody smells good, really good," said one of the hugging mourners. To solve the mystery, we then proceeded to sniff each other, in public, at a wake.

"My God, what are you doing?" someone asked, seeing the bizarre sniff-fest scene. "I know it looks weird, but SMELL her-- yum!" One by one, the other mourners did just that. Sniffed me, and then said "You're right!" It was then that Luke's partner said "This is so pervy and inappropriate-- Luke would have loved it!" We all broke up in laughter because it was true. Luke was a free spirit who had little regard for stuffy conventions.

Thank you, Aromatics Elixir."

To be honest, I don't ask much from my scents. I don't need or want to fill a whole room . I just ask that I be able to smell it MYSELF after a few hours. I hope that when you say "skin scent", you are able to smell it on yourself, without the need to lift your wrist to your nose ?

With apologies for a rather belated reply:
    most if not Aramis fragrances did become familiar with, own and test over the years performed just enough for, even slightly above average performance without requiring neither particular focus on the application points nor additional reapplication, also just enough to be appropriate for both office and more casual wear.

Therefore concluding from a personal viewpoint alone: Aramis is likely among the houses with the most affordable and versatile choices to get good performance from, quite safely, readily, enjoyably, without going for the more pricey vintages.