Code of Conduct
o

Default Spreading awareness of niche-niche fragrances

No, not a typo, but niche fragrances that come from a different niche - shaving companies. Dozens of these brands produce very high-quality EdT and EdP's but I very rarely, if ever, see them mentioned on here. Not for any specific reason I think, other than maybe lack of awareness.

Here are 3 samples I've tried recently:

greenman.JPG

A mystery spanning ages, the symbol of the Green Man is of uncertain origin. Nearly always, the he is depicted as a face surrounded by leaves and other foliage, sometimes with leaves and or vines growing out of his ears or mouth.

Scent Strength: Light to Medium
    Top: Anise, Citrus
    Heart: Lavender, Jasmine,
    Base: Oakmoss, Rosewood, Vanilla

https://murphyandmcneil.com/collecti...-eau-de-parfum

vesp.JPG

Vespers is the product of a specific picture, the image of a quaint mountain town in late December, snow falling gently on the peaked roofs, lights twinkling in the square. As one of the historic meeting places of Lower Saxony, we felt it necessary to incorporate our legendary version of Mousse de Saxe ("Saxon Moss"), in all its velvety darkness, into any fragrance representative of the village. Onto this we layered cranberry, cardamom, balsam, and a fern accord for a spicy-jammy-forest character. Patchouli, rose, sandalwood, and bergamot round out the rough edges to produce a scent one might expect to waft from a merrymaking hall on a chill evening. Vespers is the ultimate comfort scent for the dark months and we're very excited to release it this winter.

https://www.barristerandmann.com/col...toilette-30-ml

sandpiper.JPG

This scent has top notes of Cardamom, middle notes of Bergamot, Cedar, and Lavender, and base notes of Vetiver and Caraway. It's sophisticated and crisp and very masculine.

https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collect...au-de-toilette

Although I sometimes like matching fragrances to shaving products, a big appeal of these companies is being able to buy a "set" - with the Stirling you can get shower gel, hand soap, shave soap, after shave, after shave balm AND the EDT from the same line. It's nice to have the same scent flowing through your whole grooming routine and not worry about making a bad pairing decision.

B+M seem to have been mentioned on here a bit and have a couple of their scents on Fragrantica, but neither of the other 2. I'd be curious to read if others have tried any of these, or why you hadn't, or even more interestingly, if these were new to you and you might now give them a whirl?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Spreading awareness of niche-niche fragrances

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

All Is Beautiful

nice points.

I have been enjoying Captain Fawcett Ricki Hall Booze and Baccy from this tradition I think. Didn't Geo F. Trumper start there too?
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

The truth of the matter is...
    the niche market is (now) flooded with perfumes, every which way you look.
    It isn't like old days when niche brands listed something and folks went running towards them.
    Every single day, there are launches.
    I wait for folks whose taste I trust to let me know... now this, you need to try.
    Otherwise, (personally) who has time.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Green Man

"A mystery spanning ages, the symbol of the Green Man is of uncertain origin. Nearly always, he is depicted as a face surrounded by leaves and other foliage, sometimes with leaves and or vines growing out of his mouth."

Nearly
    always...

nearlyAlways.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Battlestations View Post
    This scent has top notes of Cardamom, middle notes of Bergamot, Cedar, and Lavender, and base notes of Vetiver and Caraway. It's sophisticated and crisp and very masculine.
    https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/eau-de-toilettes/products/sandpiper-50ml-eau-de-toilette
    Wow, that sounds delish, if a bit clashy.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Green Man
    Nearly always...
    That photo's gotta be from either Burning Man or the CGI-prep session of the latest Marvel movie.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post

Nearly
    always...
    lmao

Smell Good, Feel Good

Adding The Art of Shaving under this "niche-niche" umbrella.
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour...you’re gonna see some serious s***. ~ Dr. Emmett Brown, “Back To The Future”

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JakeStiebs View Post
    Their Oud Suede should really be experienced by more Basenoters.. it's a wonderful scent.

Smell Good, Feel Good

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Their Oud Suede should really be experienced by more Basenoters.. it's a wonderful scent.
    I'll have to try it myself! Have only tried Bourbon Amber and Sandalwood & Cypress.
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour...you’re gonna see some serious s***. ~ Dr. Emmett Brown, “Back To The Future”

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JakeStiebs View Post
    Same with Truefitt and Hill
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: No. 46 by Chanel

I find that these types of scents are usually very weak in sillage/longevity. This is why I generally avoid them

Here another one: http://www.kolmaz.com/

Thank you for the recommendation-it happens often that underrated and/or less known quality is there especially in the case of (part from BN) little to not really popularized companies

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Same with Truefitt and Hill
    yes! Trafalgar and Grafton are my favorites.. hope to get full bottles one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Here another one: http://www.kolmaz.com/
    I was intrigued by Kolmaz and tried ArabiCana. It is a take on Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, and it is more fierce if you can imagine that.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    I was intrigued by Kolmaz and tried ArabiCana. It is a take on Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, and it is more fierce if you can imagine that.
    ...owned Marijuana but unfortunately it smelled more like cumin than marijuana: gave it away...

Basenotes Plus

Hey,

I love Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. Their "Atomic Age Bay Rum" is my favorite bay rum scent and I think the other top-shelf offering they have is "Sangre de Drago". Those are clearly the best two for me, although I do enjoy some other scents they make. I think Atomic Age Bay Rum and Sangre de Drago are scents that could seriously be respected as high quality. They have depth, complexity and have mostly natural components, a few of which are hand-made in-house with old perfuming techniques. The Atomic Age Bay Rum is actually aged in a wood cask and spicy doesn't even begin to describe it, but it's also got a wonderful sweetness to it. Sangre de Drago utilizes oud and resins and some incense. These two scents are higher quality than all of my cheap aroma-chemical designer frags and approach an expensive niche realm (albeit, the high end niche have a bit better finish, but they are also hundreds of dollars more).

Some shaving artisans are making scents that are surprisingly good. A few here and there should be taken very seriously by enthusiasts who are being fair and not dismissing things before really trying. 3 years ago it was artisan shaving that got my foot in the door of fragrances. So, I don't see why it can't work in reverse and some frag-heads cross over into the wet shaving realm.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    That photo's gotta be from either Burning Man or the CGI-prep session of the latest Marvel movie.
    Not that far off. Charlie Kelly tailgating on LSD, Eagles game. (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Hey,

I love Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements.
    I do too, their agharta and future fiction are excellent

Prorasso red afrershave is nice. I think it's sandalwood. I'd buy an edt of that scent if I was aware of one

Huh, looks like wet shaving brands are bleeding into more sophisticated perfumery. Not bad prices to try, too.

Nah it's more like they made a stronger aftershave for their customers, most have plenty of experience though.

Another point to add is that even if the actual perfumes aren't appealing, I'm sure most of you shave, so having a soap and balm that matches the scent of your favourite frag would be appealing? E.g. Stirling's Sharp Dressed Man is their take on GIT and they've actually got every grooming product you would ever need with the scent:

https://www.stirlingsoap.com/search?q=Sharp

I haven't ventured into the EdTs of the artisan soap makers because most of the aftershaves they make last most of the day on me. Some of the aftershaves made by the likes of Barrister & Mann, Chiseled Face, Chattilon Lux, PAA, etc. outlast some of the weaker EdTs I have by well known fragrance houses.