Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o

Default Re: Are there any perfume notes or materials you've changed your mind on this year?

Vanilla, Oud.

Default Re: Are there any perfume notes or materials you've changed your mind on this year?

Quote Originally Posted by morning light View Post
    Alice--this was definitely a fantastic year for you! I'm very happy to hear that you've had more than one revelation about your perfume tastes. I actually really loved Lolita Lempicka, but it was much too loud! I think I might like anise...is Black Opium Intense more restrained?
    Thank you, morning light! It's easy to get constant revelations while you're still new, I guess. We'll see how much my tastes will change through the next year.
    As for Lolita Lempicka... I have tried and own current version, not the original . The current LL version is called "Lolita Lempicka Mon Premier" and is in a slightly different angular and chunkier apple bottle. The fragrance itself is reformulated, too, and from what I've read, it has stayed quite true to itself, but is a bit lighter, the liquorice is more subdued and cherry more prominent (I myself don't get cherry at all though, but I do smell liquorice in it). People are saying it is a bit less unique, but easier to wear nowadays. Most of old fans are not happy though, but I think you could try it if still interested - it's possible you might like this version more.
    For Black Opium Intense - nothing in Opium line is restrained, they're all loudass fragrances. But the liquorice note is quite subtle here – it's primarily a boozy coffee fragrance with some berry syrup. I have to warn you it's very sweet (as all Black Opium variations) and a bit synthetic in nature - but to me that synthetic vibe is somehow very fitting, it plays well here, like a good synthesizer and a drummachine to a good electro song.
    Currently wearing: Méharées by L'Erbolario

I'm absolutely going to try Black Opium Intense at Sephora today! Sounds perfect for a bar. And yes, I saw that cute chunky apple bottle, I did not know they came out with this! LL Mon Premier still sounds worth trying! Thank you :')

I'm fairly new to perfume too. I just turned 29 and I fee like I'm just finally learning how to express myself through clothes, perfume, and jewelry. I've had a very basic and austere decade, but that's over now hahah give me the Black Opium
    (^‿^)
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

Cumin.
    I always thought it smelled exactly like old body odor, in particular the smell of the gym in middle school.

It plays a very prominent role in Slumberhouse's Sixes and Seven's. I had to wear it several times to mentally disassociate the smell. Once past that, it did seem to be one of the warmest spices I've come across in perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Cumin.
    I always thought it smelled exactly like old body odor, in particular the smell of the gym in middle school.

It plays a very prominent role in Slumberhouse's Sixes and Seven's. I had to wear it several times to mentally disassociate the smell. Once past that, it did seem to be one of the warmest spices I've come across in perfumery.
    Absolutely! I remember trying Cartier Declaration and it was very nice for the first 10 minutes...and then I realized I was emanating this warm sweet sweat vibe. I read that it was cumin and resolved to stay away from it for years. Rose 31 was the first perfume where I saw cumin as a spice and not sweat; it can be warm while clean!

The gym in middle school is a place I don't miss lmao
    (^‿^)
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Iv'e always enjoyed Patchouli but over this past 12 months I have come to the conclusion that it is most probably my favorite note in perfumery. As if I didn't love Patchouli Nobile enough I think I love it even more today. I found another amazing patchouli in Jovoy's Psychedelique. Still haven't tried Santa Maria Novella Patchouli which I really need to get my hands on. I'm sure I will like it.

Jovoy are my house of the year. Was sent a few samples from the very generous Sheik Yerbouti. That was a mistake!! LOL. I was in the process of downsizing my wardrobe and then I had to splash the cash. The house just connects with me on so many levels. Grown up opulent scents that are extremely well made.

I still don't like Rose. It's just a note that doesn't wear well on my skin. I also don't get on with incense as a main note. I'm fine with it as long as it's in the distance.

Pure Tonka is another fragrance that I am loving. Really surprised at this one as I'm not a massive gourmand fan but there is just something about it that is so totally addictive. That fact that it lasts all day on my skin and gatherers many compliments is the icing on the cake.

Found a massive appreciation for a few Roja's. Loving both Danger and Fetish. I now own 20ml decants of both.

Bought and sold Dior Homme Parfum twice this year. I want to like it and to a certain degree I do, but find it too stuffy and overwhelming.

Discovered Richwood & Coromandel which are both different branches of the same tree. Both are stunning and 2 of my best ever finds!!

Fell in love with both Layton & Pegasus after slagging off PDM............. LOL!!

Finally tried MFK Absolute Pour Le Soir and found it to be one of the most vile things I have ever applied to my skin.

It's been a good year!!

That's all folks!!!
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit (Vintage) - Dior
    Aventus/Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger/Fetish - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Naxos - Xerjoff
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Baraonda/Pardon - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Private Label/Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Layton/Pegasus - PDM

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    Finally tried MFK Absolute Pour Le Soir and found it to be one of the most vile things I have ever applied to my skin.
    I like to think of it as the smell of a public toilet on a disused station on the London Underground. Somehow I can't break the association with this one!

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    i like to think of it as the smell of a public toilet on a disused station on the london underground. Somehow i can't break the association with this one!
    lol
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit (Vintage) - Dior
    Aventus/Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger/Fetish - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Naxos - Xerjoff
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Baraonda/Pardon - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Private Label/Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Layton/Pegasus - PDM

I never liked cumin as a spice for the same reason I don't like having the smell of onions/garlic coming out of my pores after eating a curry. I avoided it for years if I saw it listed as a note in a fragrance because of that visceral smell especially smelling it straight from the spice jar. Recently though I have warmed to it when done well in a fragrance. I now regularly wear fragrances like Eucris, Pasha and Bel Ami which all have a cumin/caraway note listed but are blended well into the composition in a pleasing way. I draw the line at Eau D'Hermes though where it comes across as sweaty.

As others have also mentioned above, Absolue Pour Le Soir is definitely not my kind of thing either and its the same reason I won't touch Cartier L'Envol EdP - the smell of honeyed urine doesn't ring my bell.

Man of the World - I'm with you on the patchoulis and although I've never disliked them they are taking up a much larger part of my wardrobe than a year ago. Obviously Patchouli Nobile (thank you). I recently wore Patchouli Intense from a sample (courtesy of the kind rum) and its quite different to many others I have had the pleasure to wear. A very clean and transparent type, not earthy in the slightest. Comes across initially with an air of chocolate liqueur before becoming more aftershavey in the finest possible way. Patricia works some real magic on her PdN creations.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren

All Is Beautiful

I love saffron in cooking.

But didn't love it in perfumes.

Then something changed and I just LOVE saffron in fragrances.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Wow--No 46?! Could you say just a bit about what it's like? (I've only seen two reviews of it and both were quite vague.)
    I've posted my impression in the vintage forum not too long ago. I highly recommend sampling this one and definitely worthy of a split if a bottle presents itself.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Have you tried Aldehyde 44? It's gorgeous
    I recalled it being pleasing but my favorites are the classics from Chanel like No 5 No 22 and No 46 and Guerlain Vega.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

If so, what are they? Towards like or dislike? Maybe a particular material hasn't moved the meter in favor of personal taste, but you've realized its importance or contribution to a composition somehow?
    My love for rose has only grown and I even bought the Damask Rose in Perfumery edition of NEZ Magazine! Ones I sampled this year: Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose, Byredo Rose of No Man's Land, Stella by Stella McCartney, and MFK Lumiere Noire Pour Homme
    Yes, I am surprised by my sudden insatiable desire for Rose scents! Never have I felt so drawn to them.
    Thank you for this thread.
    Jen