Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Default An in-roads to oud?

    Hi everyone,

    Iíve recently started wearing oud wood by Tom Ford, a perfume-parlour clone. Itís a really good clone for the price and smells like the original to my untrained nose. Iíd like to buy the original bottle but was put off by reviews of recent bottles having poor performance. Iím looking for an oud with better performance and with a similarly accessible scent and price tag (<£150). I typically like fresh, green and woody scents. Any recommendations?

    Kindly
    Tom

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    22,561

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Why don't you try Oud Wood and see if it wears adequately for you? ('Performance' can be very subjective for the most part ....)

    If you are after oud and like fresh, green and woody, I'd suggest Epic Man, Blackbird (House of Matriarch) and Ormonde Man.

    Other ouds I'd recommend are Oud Palao, Acqua di Parma Colonia Oud, Incense Oud (Nicolai) and Tobacco Oud - but they are not fresh or green as such.

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil
    Posts
    313,011

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Another for Oud Palao.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #4

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Try Floris Leather Oud. Clean, crisp, with a fresh edge.

  5. #5

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Try Floris Leather Oud. Clean, crisp, with a fresh edge.
    I like the sound of this! Now to try find a sample in the UK

  6. #6

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Also adding Haboit Rouge EDP as a powdery, sophisticated, formalized oud, LM Black Oud for a darker, more exotic variation on this, nevertheless with a classic floral edge, vintage M7 as a sophisticated modern designer oud, perhaps also its M7 Fresh flanker for a lighter, more casual take on this
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

  7. #7

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    . Clean, crisp, with a fresh edge.
    Lalique Hommage a L'Homme or Dunhill Icon for pretty clean oud note ( not oud heavy) perhaps
    Dunhill Icon Absolute for a more full on experience
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    44,624

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Gucci Intense Oud is another good one.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  9. #9
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    I am here.
    Posts
    14,775
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    This is always the best answer:

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Why don't you try Oud Wood and see if it wears adequately for you? ('Performance' can be very subjective for the most part ....)
    The only way to know if it performs well on your skin is to try it on your skin. I get outstanding performance from Oud Wood.

    Here's another reason to try it: Does it smell different enough from what you already have to make it worth buying? After trying the real thing, you might decide you'd rather spend your money on a scent that smells different (Royal Oud by Creed could be an outstanding option. It doesn't smell like Oud Wood, but for me, it fits the same situations where I'd reach for a scent like Oud Wood... and it's OUTSTANDING).

    Another idea: Buy a decant. That's what I do anytime I'm not 100% sure about a purchase.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Endymion
    Rose 31
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Tom Ford Noir Eau De Toilette
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

  10. #10

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Oud & Bergamot by Christine Nagel for Jo Malone
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 20th December 2019 at 11:23 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    The only way to know if it performs well on your skin is to try it on your skin. I get outstanding performance from Oud Wood.

    Here's another reason to try it: Does it smell different enough from what you already have to make it worth buying? After trying the real thing, you might decide you'd rather spend your money on a scent that smells different (Royal Oud by Creed could be an outstanding option. It doesn't smell like Oud Wood, but for me, it fits the same situations where I'd reach for a scent like Oud Wood... and it's OUTSTANDING).

    Another idea: Buy a decant. That's what I do anytime I'm not 100% sure about a purchase.
    Thanks for the tips, might try your suggestions regarding decant. Perhaps there is no need to rush into things! Samples are to be dated and bottles are like a marriage!

    Thanks everyone for your oud suggestions I’ll give them a bit of a read then try find samples. Like the sound of floris’ ouds, roughly the price range I’m going for so I’ll start there.

  12. #12

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    TF oud wood performs well imo

  13. #13

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    You'd be well served by Atelier Cologne's Emeraude Agar

  14. #14

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Having mentioned the YSL M7 perfume series, the very M7 Oud Edition (likely in the current version as well, as to not be relegated to vintage tier pricing) might be worth some (re) testing.

    Especially if on e search for that fairly elusive, not always easily achieved balance between fresh and more high performance oud.
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

  15. #15
    Dependent oudaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    1,274

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Gucci Intense Oud is another good one.
    I was going to suggest this.
    +1
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

  16. #16

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Versace Oud Noir transparent like Oud Wood
    Hugo Boss Oud a little rougher around the edges
    Polo Supreme Oud smoother and more dense
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

  17. #17

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Thanks everyone - Based on some of the earlier replies I got my hands on Oud Palao, Epic Man and Interlude Man samples as well as Santal Royal Guerlain from some other recommendations. After smelling interlude man and being pleasantly surprised by the intensity and experience I guess my criteria have changed to 'high strength and long lasting' Unfortunately despite what people said about it being a 12 hour all day scent, myself and my partner only noticed it as a mild skin scent at the end of an evening some 5 hours later. Maybe a reformulation?>

    Anyways I will continue sampling some of these others, im really enjoying the scent of santal royal just have to see how performance holds up. I worry if interlude man doesn't stick around, nothing will on my skin. Perhaps I'm expecting too much or just going nose blind (but would have thought my partner would have been able to pick it up). Next ill try oud palao and see how it compares. Thanks for all the suggestions, im finding it hard to get around to them and samples are pretty expensive here in the uk - £4 for 1ml? Does anyone have a cheaper means of getting samples in the UK.

  18. #18
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK / őle de chypre
    Posts
    13,605

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smellend View Post
    Thanks everyone - Based on some of the earlier replies I got my hands on Oud Palao, Epic Man and Interlude Man samples as well as Santal Royal Guerlain from some other recommendations. After smelling interlude man and being pleasantly surprised by the intensity and experience I guess my criteria have changed to 'high strength and long lasting' Unfortunately despite what people said about it being a 12 hour all day scent, myself and my partner only noticed it as a mild skin scent at the end of an evening some 5 hours later. Maybe a reformulation?
    I am not meaning to offend anyone that gave you the above suggestions, but I personally think that the Amouages suggested to you are probably not a good place to start to experience oud. Interlude and Epic are both great scents, but oud plays a supporting role in both scents.

    To get a better feel for the note I would have started with YSL's very worthy M7 Oud Absolue in the clear square bottle. Very decent scent, if a little sweet for some.

    Oud Palao is a great suggestion as well as you get to experience the more dirty, dare I say animalic aspects of the note.

    Another one to try out would be Ex Idolo's 33, which is apparently a real oud aged for 33 years.

    As for UK samples and decants, there is another thread on that very topic which might be of interest to you: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/379...ples-in-the-UK
    Last edited by rum; 20th December 2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: included link

  19. #19
    everyday i'm samplin'
    notspendingamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Middleof, Nowhere
    Posts
    2,152

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    try it, but i'd be suprised if it is up to snuff. I found it to be perfectly acceptable in performance, but if you are not happy because Interlude is too short lasting I doubt you are gonna find much to like. I can smell it on me until I shower usually, generally getting whiffs in the air every now and again without searching it out. I sometimes will put something light over it after like 12 hours just to change the profile up a bit, keep it interesting. Try Black Aoud, or any Montale really. They are disgustingly strong. But that one is not green, though Id say the rose can seem pretty fresh, it is a fresh clean oud. Ellie Saab is pretty fresh, so is MFK.

    My final suggestion is to order a sample pack of oud fragrances from MFK. Its cheap, and the company is great to work with.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

  20. #20
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    no canto do cisco, no canto do olho
    Posts
    6,532

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Oud & Bergamot by Christine Nagel for Jo Malone
    This + cheaper: Versace Oud Noir, M7 Oud Absolu, Comme des GarÁons Wonderoud.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

  21. #21

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smellend View Post
    I like the sound of this! Now to try find a sample in the UK
    Shouldn't be hard to get a sample of the Floris.

    Floris Leather Oud is very long-lasting. I got 12 hours out of it yesterday.

  22. #22

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    try it, but i'd be suprised if it is up to snuff. I found it to be perfectly acceptable in performance, but if you are not happy because Interlude is too short lasting I doubt you are gonna find much to like. I can smell it on me until I shower usually, generally getting whiffs in the air every now and again without searching it out. I sometimes will put something light over it after like 12 hours just to change the profile up a bit, keep it interesting. Try Black Aoud, or any Montale really. They are disgustingly strong. But that one is not green, though Id say the rose can seem pretty fresh, it is a fresh clean oud. Ellie Saab is pretty fresh, so is MFK.

    My final suggestion is to order a sample pack of oud fragrances from MFK. Its cheap, and the company is great to work with.

    Thanks for those suggestions - I think my skin is generally very dry and just absorbs fragrances. Ive heard some tips regarding moisturiser/lotion and/or thin layer of vaseline as a base to keep scents on longer. Ill try those.

  23. #23

    Default Re: An in-roads to oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Why don't you try Oud Wood and see if it wears adequately for you? ('Performance' can be very subjective for the most part ....)

    If you are after oud and like fresh, green and woody, I'd suggest Epic Man, Blackbird (House of Matriarch) and Ormonde Man.

    Other ouds I'd recommend are Oud Palao, Acqua di Parma Colonia Oud, Incense Oud (Nicolai) and Tobacco Oud - but they are not fresh or green as such.
    Update: Tried quite a few over the past few days, with a few more to sample (waiting on Hayat Kemi & ADP Oud Gold label samples). Oud Palao was interesting but the dry down was a little too rugged/dirty for my tastes. Picked up my clothes the next day and they just smelt sweaty!

    Interlude man - Not exactly an Oud, the incense was also a bit too intense and something in it gave me a headache. Santal Royal Guerlain wore nicely but a little bit sweet and a bit linear.

    Then Epic man... Full bottle worthy! Good enough longevity but something about the combination was great. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I picked up a bottle of Dark Aoud by Montale on a very cheap offer, i've heard good things and I can pass it on if it's no good.




Similar Threads

  1. NEW: Roads - Fool Around!
    By hednic in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th September 2017, 09:28 PM
  2. Deleted
    By hednic in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th September 2017, 09:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000