Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
o

Default Do youtube fragrance reviewers really have any influence?

That other topic on those reviewers got me wondering.How much influence if any do they really have?I do not watch them anymore.The only time I ever watched them was for a very short period about 2 years ago.I noticed many have very few subscribers, low amounts of views etc.Most I assume are basically a bunch of amateurs.Afterall anybody can be on youtube.The guy that is mentioned here a lot must have more subscribers than most of the rest combined. Maybe he has some influence. However do the rest have any influence aside from maybe to a very small amount of people?

Default Re: Do youtube fragrance reviewers really have any influence?

I mean, I guess you could say they've influenced me to ignore them all. They certainly haven't influenced me to buy anything.

I only care about female reviewers when I'm looking to add fragrances into my compliment getter category. Jeremy is helpful as a starting point, but I cross reference other reviewers to make sure the fragrance has a wide net in terms of being appreciated. Street reviews are particularly helpful. Learned my lessons from blind buying, so I will get decants to make sure that I don't find the scent too hideous for my nose. All in all, I trust my system in figuring out which are the mass appealing fragrances that fit what I'm looking for in that category. For the fragrances that I wear mainly for myself, I watch videos to try to better understand them.

Quote Originally Posted by Celinman View Post
    Jeremy is helpful as a starting point
    Yes, I know many guys who started with watching Jeremy and then got deeper into the game.

Not going to lie I checked youtube at first. I would say that some of those with large followings who are well spoken definitely have influenced folks. From everything I have watched is basically very similar to what is posted here. I do feel that some probably get some kind of kick backs to promote some of the fragrances more. Most of the youtube people do seem to stay mostly with mainstream scents. Not really sure the dislike for youtube reviewers here.

Quote Originally Posted by Andymizunogolfer View Post
    Not really sure the dislike for youtube reviewers here.
    I can only comment for myself.
    The main reason is because I found the majority of them agonizing to watch.The whole format to me is a stupid one.In addition, why should I care what their opinions are,who are they?Are they any type of experts or anything even close.For the most part many seemed like they are just some guys and gals off the street just rambling on and on about whatever fragrances they were talking about.There were a couple that were ok, but they were a very small minority of at least the ones that I watched.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I mean, I guess you could say they've influenced me to ignore them all.
    Same here.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Jeremy Basenotes is helpful as a starting point.

I'm not pandering---no reason to---in saying that with the availability of Basenotes, I can't understand why on earth someone would turn to these YouTube propaganda videos for guidance.

Jeremy is helpful as a starting point...
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo

I mean, I guess you could say they've influenced me to ignore them all. They certainly haven't influenced me to buy anything.
    In a way,that happened to me too.The time that I tried watching them,I never heard of terms such as "fragrance community" etc.By the way I am not a fan of that term either,but that is a different topic I guess. However the only thing they influenced me on is to not watch them at all.

To me personally? No. But to a lot of friends, yes. I've had people text me about a scent review that they ran into while on YouTube and ask for my opinion. It's a different audience; people are influenced by our peers here. Some others view YouTube reviewers as their peers.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

^Maybe their appeal is more towards people under a certain age,I don't know.

Jeremy/Daniel is like a gateway drug for many. first you're puffing on a harmless joint next thing you're knee-deep in heroin, crack, pcp angel dust and posting on basenotes

I think that many Youtubers feature more mass appealing scents that just work for most people who are starting out with fragrances.
    There's nothing wrong with that.

If you take a top 10 list from Jeremy and a top 10 list from say Wafts from the Loft and let average people on street smell the scents I can guarantee you that they would rate Jeremy's suggested fragrances better.

I'm not saying one channel is better than the other - they are just different.
    I guess everyone who is getting more into fragrances, start enjoying niche is fully aware of fragrance forums and smaller Youtube channels.

I personally watch bigger channels just for entertainment as I watch smaller ones which feature more niche.
    Both are nice to have.

Less nice I find all the negativity here and that superior-elite-thinking which pops up every now and then.
    No one is forced to watch certain Youtubers and the world is going on even if they receive free bottles.
    Live and let live!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post

I'm not pandering---no reason to---in saying that with the availability of Basenotes, I can't understand why on earth someone would turn to these YouTube propaganda videos for guidance.
    Even if there was no Basenotes,I'd still wonder the same thing.Not to mention until recently I did not even think in terms of those videos also being a bunch of propaganda because I did not know how shady the whole thing is.And even if they were legit,I'd still rather watch the grass grow.
    Last edited by Mayberry2; 16th December 2019 at 10:51 PM.

Blog Entries

They have become shills.

And shame on the brands who shower these under-employed half-wits with freebies rather than looking after their regular customers.

I was so disappointed to see Roja Parfums being the latest brand to give these guys full sets of the parfum cologne range while having limited the free discovery atomiser that customers used to be guaranteed of with every purchase
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

If one has the patience and/or enough information to avoid the more hyped reviewers and to eventually find the few far and in between that can provide some useful fragrance info, this latter category should be the most influential.

However, it is often the opposite case and the ones that might be more genuinely useful, informed, knowledgeable get overlooked by the hype of the more popular ones.
    It may be quite likely that, at least for now, influence on a widespread public level is often indirectly proportional to more substantial but less popular YT contributors.

Sound Scents

While I would like to think they have no influence, I think the recent trend of several of them selling their own brands, etc says otherwise.

Call me elitist if you wish, but any perfume that ever pops up on a Jeremy video is a definite “steer *well* clear” for me. I would hope no one would start their perfume journey with the kind of guidance found in his videos and similar ilk, but each to their own.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    7) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    7) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    10)Jasmin Antique (Rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    They have become shills.

And shame on the brands who shower these under-employed half-wits with freebies rather than looking after their regular customers.
    That is also a great point.They are giving those people all types of things,and from my limited knowledge on this topic,I still think they have very little influence. At the same time for instance, try calling a fragrance house nowadays and many do not even offer samples anymore.Samples used to be easy to get from many cologne and perfume companies years ago.They used to like giving them out for free.

Honestly? I think it's because a lot of people are too dumb and lazy to read. All they know how to do is watch and listen to someone else in a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    That other topic on those reviewers got me wondering.How much influence if any do they really have?I do not watch them anymore.The only time I ever watched them was for a very short period about 2 years ago.I noticed many have very few subscribers, low amounts of views etc.Most I assume are basically a bunch of amateurs.Afterall anybody can be on youtube.The guy that is mentioned here a lot must have more subscribers than most of the rest combined. Maybe he has some influence. However do the rest have any influence aside from maybe to a very small amount of people?
    Yes, they do have an influence, read the comments and you'll see just how many people blind-buy based on reviews. It's a natural occurrence and not restricted to fragrances, many people will look at several reviews of a product before buying it. A few of them have had over a million collective views, e.g. Mark Robes' channel (robes08) has had almost 3.5 million views.

^If I'm not mistaken it was that Robes guy that was the final straw in me personally stopping watching any fragrance review videos.Again it was about 2 years ago, so I'm not sure.,However I think he was the one that kept talking on and on and on for 20 minutes or so saying what he could have said in 1 minute or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    ^If I'm not mistaken it was that Robes guy that was the final straw in me personally stopping watching any fragrance review videos.Again it was about 2 years ago, so I'm not sure.,However I think he was the one that kept talking on and on and on for 20 minutes or so saying what he could have said in 1 minute or less.
    You could have just skipped forward for the part of the video with his rating (including the graphics) if you wanted to save time.

Basenotes Plus

very, I had a friend on fb who opened a small channel and had gotten a pretty good following for a bit then got sick of it and shut it down. While he was doing it tho he would he showed me some of the emails and dm's he would get. He was getting peppered with questions on what to buy, and what scents they should wear for what occasion and on and on. He wasn't getting anything for free so he wasn't pushing anything outside his favorites but then a few brands did start asking him to do reviews and he bailed shortly after that. If a small timer like him was getting bombarded like that imagine what the top guys are getting and if they're making money to push brands, then they can push a lot of customers that way. I don't watch any but lots of younger guys do.
    Currently wearing: Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed

You bastards have influenced me on more blind buys than YouTubers ever would. But I don't watch many of those reviews anyway.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by flmmkrz View Post
    very, I had a friend on fb who opened a small channel and had gotten a pretty good following for a bit then got sick of it and shut it down. While he was doing it tho he would he showed me some of the emails and dm's he would get. He was getting peppered with questions on what to buy, and what scents they should wear for what occasion and on and on. He wasn't getting anything for free so he wasn't pushing anything outside his favorites but then a few brands did start asking him to do reviews and he bailed shortly after that. If a small timer like him was getting bombarded like that imagine what the top guys are getting and if they're making money to push brands, then they can push a lot of customers that way. I don't watch any but lots of younger guys do.
    That's why I respect Steven aka Redolessence a lot!
    He answers nearly every comment under his videos and has so much patience with his audience.
    I once had a question about a certain fragrance and the batch code, wrote him an e-mail and he immediately replied - and I'm not at Youtube nor one of his subscribers.

And this kind person gets a lot of hate here on BN, just because he receives free bottles and feature some of the more popular niche brands on a regular basis.
    It's so sad...

Because Jeremy, who uses fragrances explicitly to attract women's attention, is more trustworthy if you're looking for fragrances to do that thing. Very rare to find someone that is narcissistic enough and driven enough to be specifically testing fragrances and how they perform to girls. There's really no difference between YouTube reviewers and people on Basenotes. It is just a different format. In general, people on Basenotes are not more trustworthy than people on YouTube. Distrustful people are distrustful no matter where they are. You have shills on all platforms. That's why cross referencing is important for me when I'm looking to add a fragrance to my "modern masculine compliment getter" category. Thanks to YouTube, Basenotes, and Fragrantica I have added Dior Sauvage EdT, and La Nuit de L'Homme to my "modern masculine compliment getter" category. Reviews in general are important to me for this specific category because I don't trust my own nose in what attracts women or not.

The amount of potential influence can be seen in the number of people who watched their videos. Let's not forget that some even built an army!

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    They have become shills.

I was so disappointed to see Roja Parfums being the latest brand to give these guys full sets of the parfum cologne range while having limited the free discovery atomiser that customers used to be guaranteed of with every purchase
    Why would they not want to? Smart business if you ask me. Youtube is wildly popular for looking up pretty much anything. Don't get me wrong Jeremy sure seems like a major dbag. I do see how folks might like him though. They possibly think with him being super clean cut and over the top he knows what he is talking about. Obviously it has worked for him.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    That's why I respect Steven aka Redolessence a lot!
    He answers nearly every comment under his videos and has so much patience with his audience.
    I once had a question about a certain fragrance and the batch code, wrote him an e-mail and he immediately replied - and I'm not at Youtube nor one of his subscribers.

And this kind person gets a lot of hate here on BN, just because he receives free bottles and feature some of the more popular niche brands on a regular basis.
    It's so sad...
    Have you guys seen this, and what do you think about it.

Hi, so I was probably being a little bit rhetorical. I think your answer is on the right track.

Honestly? I think it's because a lot of people are too dumb and lazy to read. All they know how to do is watch and listen to someone else in a video.
    Forget money, fame and cologne...a tall, charming, handsome man wearing clothes that fit is what attracts women. Anyone who thinks that cologne attracts women in any sort of meaningful way is tripping.

... I don't trust my own nose in what attracts women or not.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo