Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default PdM Herod or Initio Rehab

Hi everybody,

Which one do you think is a better scent smell-wise: PdM Herod or Initio Rehab? (forget about price and performance for the moment)

I have tested Herod and, even though it smells very pleasant, I'm not sure if its sweetness could be a bit too much for my taste (I remember that my Herod sample, at least, was very honey-ish). Which one of these two fragrances is sweeter? As a reference, I like original Spicebomb a lot but, at the same time, it would be my "sweetness limit" if that make sense.

Thanks!!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: PdM Herod or Initio Rehab

For me - Rehab, although own and love both.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Rehab is sweeter than Herod. I prefer Rehab. Have you smelled Spicebomb? That sweet note in Spicebomb is a big part of Rehab. They’re similar, so if you don’t like Spicebomb you probably won’t like Rehab. Rehab’s like a much better version of Spicebomb, and with a different drybdown or base phase.

I would prefer Herod.

Rehab smells very similar to Spicebomb though it has higher quality ingredients.
    But it's not a more mature version, they even mimic'd the bubblegummy vibe of Spicebomb.

I also prefer Bvlgari Man in Black All Blacks over Spicebomb and Rehab. If you can find that one for a decent price, then grab it!

Rehab for me

Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

Rehab = HdP 1899. (both are high quality versions of V&R Spicebomb, but the HdP one is 2-3X cheaper than the Initio one...)

Herod = ultra sweet version of Tobacco Vanille. (why would a man want something even sweeter than Tobacco Vanille... really?)

They are not at all similar, so it will depend of tastes. Hard pass for me on Herod. As for Rehab, I'll enjoy my decant but when it will be gone, that will be the end of my relationship with Rehab.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Thank you for your answers.

Votes so far: Herod 1, Rehab 4

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Rehab is sweeter than Herod. I prefer Rehab. Have you smelled Spicebomb? That sweet note in Spicebomb is a big part of Rehab. They’re similar, so if you don’t like Spicebomb you probably won’t like Rehab. Rehab’s like a much better version of Spicebomb, and with a different drybdown or base phase.
    Yes, I own original Spicebomb (full bottle) and small sample of 1899. Love both actually. The similarities between Spicebomb and Rehab (with better ingredients/blend of the latter) is what catches my attention. BUT... if Rehab turns out even sweeter than Spicebomb, I'm not sure if Rehab will be a like or a love for me.

On the other hand, I find interesting to know people's preference between these two modern fragrances with dominant tobacco notes.

I wouldn't blindbuy Rehab if that's what you're going for.
    I would recommend to sample it and see if it's worth the higher price tag for you in comparison of Spicebomb.

Quote Originally Posted by aquarel View Post
    Thank you for your answers.

Votes so far: Herod 1, Rehab 4

Yes, I own original Spicebomb (full bottle) and small sample of 1899. Love both actually. The similarities between Spicebomb and Rehab (with better ingredients/blend of the latter) is what catches my attention. BUT... if Rehab turns out even sweeter than Spicebomb, I'm not sure if Rehab will be a like or a love for me.

On the other hand, I find interesting to know people's preference between these two modern fragrances with dominant tobacco notes.
    Rehab may smell even sweeter than Spicebomb on some level, as that central accord that drives both seems almost cranked up a couple notches in Rehab. What I really love about Rehab though is the dry down. It has a rich, creamy sandalwood note paired with a very nice, full-bodied and aromatic tobacco, which doesn't dominate but holds its place right at the core, sort of like the backbone of the scent.

By the way, have you smelled Side Effect? I prefer it to Herod (which I also like) and they're definitely in the same family. Side Effect is Tobacco, Vanilla, Cinnamon, and Rum. The rum note is what really makes it for me. Side Effect may be my favorite of all the Initio's (it's a close call with Rehab).

I owned Spicebomb briefly, and then when I smelled 1899 I immediately sold Spicebomb and bought 1899. I think it's a better fragrance. I owned 1899 for about 6 years. Then, after I bought Rehab (blind buy), I decided to sell 1899. So I think owning more than one at a time could be a little redundant. It's a close call between 1899 and Rehab though. Both are great, very similar, but also with a few important differences. 1899 is more airy, and maybe a little more complex. Rehab is creamier and bigger, but also heavier and a bit less dynamic. It's kind of like 1899 is the EDT version of a scent and Rehab is the Parfum Intense (even though they're both just EDP's).

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    I would recommend to sample it and see if it's worth the higher price tag for you in comparison of Spicebomb.

This is definitely good advice.

Yes, I would try to get a sample before purchasing. But apart from that, I value the experience of this community and always learn a lot from your comments, so any opinion is really welcomed.

Would you say that Rehab is more, less or as sweet as original Spicebomb? And... given that HdP 1899 Hemingway has been mentioned, which one is superior in your opinion, Rehab or 1899?

Rehab may smell even sweeter than Spicebomb on some level, as that central accord that drives both seems almost cranked up a couple notches in Rehab. What I really love about Rehab though is the dry down. It has a rich, creamy sandalwood note paired with a very nice, full-bodied and aromatic tobacco, which doesn't dominate but holds its place right at the core, sort of like the backbone of the scent.

By the way, have you smelled Side Effect? I prefer it to Herod (which I also like) and they're definitely in the same family. Side Effect is Tobacco, Vanilla, Cinnamon, and Rum. The rum note is what really makes it for me. Side Effect may be my favorite of all the Initio's (it's a close call with Rehab).

I owned Spicebomb briefly, and then when I smelled 1899 I immediately sold Spicebomb and bought 1899. I think it's a better fragrance. I owned 1899 for about 6 years. Then, after I bought Rehab (blind buy), I decided to sell 1899. So I think owning more than one at a time could be a little redundant. It's a close call between 1899 and Rehab though. Both are great, very similar, but also with a few important differences. 1899 is more airy, and maybe a little more complex. Rehab is creamier and bigger, but also heavier and a bit less dynamic. It's kind of like 1899 is the EDT version of a scent and Rehab is the Parfum Intense (even though they're both just EDP's).
    Thank Buysblind for such an informative response!! In fact you answered my questions even before I wrote them!! I will try Side Effect if I have the opportunity for sure Thank you

Yes, I would try to get a sample before purchasing. But apart from that, I value the experience of this community and always learn a lot from your comments, so any opinion is really welcomed.

Would you say that Rehab is more, less or as sweet as original Spicebomb? And... given that HdP 1899 Hemingway has been mentioned, which one is superior in your opinion, Rehab or 1899?
    Thank you!

I think Rehab and HdP is the same level qualitywise.
    In regards to the sweetness I don't think that there's a big difference between Rehab and Spicebomb though Spicebomb smells more synthetic in the drydown which makes Rehab superior in my mind.
    But as I've said I would prefer the Bvlgari over both as it's less sweet and overall darker.

I personally also wouldn't say that Herod is much sweeter than Rehab.

For me Herod is the more mature scent of both and a little bit more masculine though I would consider both as unisex fragrances (I know that PDM sells Herod as a men's fragrance).
    Keep in mind that PDM gets a lot of hate on BN which might not always be justified.

Herod is on of the top scents from PDM and is loved by so many people - on the German Parfumo site it's rated with a 8,8/10 (855 votes): https://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Parfu..._Essence_Herod
    And it is in the top 10 of best men's perfume every year in the colder months (currently on number 9: https://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Tops/Herren/Monat).

Of course it's your own taste which matters - all I wanted to say is that Herod is a really nice scent and absolutely worth owning.
    You could probably buy Herod discounted plus a bottle of Spicebomb for the same money you would pay for Rehab.

In regards to Side Effect:
    I think it has more kind of a "wow"-factor than Rehab and I prefer it over Rehab.
    However I skipped buying a full bottle as it becomes quite synthetic and for me unfortunately a little annoying in the drydown and also sticks on clothes for ages, which I don't always like.
    But the opening of Side Effect is great!

Both!

If I had to choose it would be Rehab because it could be worn in more diverse situations.
    Last edited by mcopatt; 21st December 2019 at 06:44 PM.

I can't speak for Rehab, and I have a different opinion of Herod than most here it seems. For me Herod is less sweet than Tobacco Vanille, or at least, it has a bit more Tobacco throughout. I really enjoy it.

Rehab because I'm anti-PdM.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Rehab because I'm anti-PdM.
    Well, If it makes you feel more conflicted...Initio's owned by the same people as PdM.

Freed from BN Institution

Rehab of the two
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Thank you!

I think Rehab and HdP is the same level qualitywise.
    In regards to the sweetness I don't think that there's a big difference between Rehab and Spicebomb though Spicebomb smells more synthetic in the drydown which makes Rehab superior in my mind.
    But as I've said I would prefer the Bvlgari over both as it's less sweet and overall darker.

I personally also wouldn't say that Herod is much sweeter than Rehab.
    Thank FragFrog for your opinion. I'm pretty sure Rehab and Herod are both top fragrances with high quality standards, both being ranked very highly on web pages, so in the end I guess it's a matter of taste. I personally don't understand the hate towards PdM, it is a brand with several outstanding releases and not particularly clones of any designers.

That being said, it looks like Rehab is having more followers so far in this post and that's an interesting conclusion to me since, don't ask me why, I though it would be just the opposite given the high amount of good reviews of Herod and the fact that it is more popular whereas Rehab is more recent release and more unknown

Thank you all for your valuable comments

Well, If it makes you feel more conflicted...Initio's owned by the same people as PdM.
    Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap. Glad I don't own any Initio's yet.

Could anyone describe the differences between Side Effect and Rehab? I don’t have the ability to sample them.

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter View Post
    Could anyone describe the differences between Side Effect and Rehab? I don’t have the ability to sample them.
    Rehab smells like Spicebomb, just with higher quality ingredients - Initio says they were just using natural ingredients, but I highly doubt it, it wouldn't last as long then.

Side Effect starts with a more fruity tea than rum like opening which dries down into a very milky vanilla. Imagine By the Fireplace by Maison Martin Margiela, put away the smoke and make the vanilla more "pink" and add some screechy ambery notes with a hint of animalic quality. To my nose it leans a little bit to the feminine side.

Ok thanks. Would you say it is even more feminine and sweet than Herod, if not Layton and Carlisle?

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter View Post
    Ok thanks. Would you say it is even more feminine and sweet than Herod, if not Layton and Carlisle?
    I can see a woman wearing Herod though it's marketed towards men - but Side Effect is much more feminine imho.
    Layton and Carlisle are more on the masculin side.

Rehab smells like Spicebomb, just with higher quality ingredients - Initio says they were just using natural ingredients, but I highly doubt it, it wouldn't last as long then.
    If I'm not wrong, Rehab is extract concentration in contrast to other Initio releases which are eau de parfum, and that would give it a plus in longevity I suppose

If I'm not wrong, Rehab is extract concentration in contrast to other Initio releases which are eau de parfum, and that would give it a plus in longevity I suppose
    That certainly helps increasing the longevity - however Side Effect or Oud for Greatness last longer on my skin than Rehab.
    But I wouldn't have any complaints about longevity or projection with Rehab.

Well, after testing both fragrances, I have to say I ended up buying a full bottle of Rehab for a good price from Amazon (new/sealed box). After some days wearing it, I must say I like it a lot. I get everything I loved from Spicebomb but with higher quality, better blended, solid performance (not beast, but not subtle at all) and extra creaminess and woody notes in the dry down. The vanille in this phase is not cloying and feels natural which is a good thing. The tobacco is very "clean" as well.

If you like the Spicebomb profile, as I do, It's difficult not to fall in love with this one. I also compared Rehab to 1899 and I personally prefer the former for its fuller body (IMHO both are excellent niche interpretations of Spicebomb). I had no opportunity to test Side Effect but, since I am not a fan of pronounced rum notes in fragrances I'm not sure if I would love it. For example, I don't find straight to heaven as appealing as others normally do because of rum.

Thank you all for your help

It's a close one but Harod is a tad more lovable for me. You can't go wrong with either one.
    Currently wearing: Hawas for Men by Rasasi

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleCars View Post
    It's a close one but Harod is a tad more lovable for me. You can't go wrong with either one.
    Certainly, both are quality scents and very pleasant. Thanks!!

Another one to consider is Divine Vanille by Essential Parfums. It is really nice, and I have seen people compare it to both Herod, 1899, Spicebomb, and Rehab. Might be up your alley as well.