Code of Conduct
o

Default PSA: Ebay SCAMMERS contact seller after you pay & ask seller to ship to different (their!) address

**Sellers can get tricked into doing this if they are not carefully paying attention to the username of the one requesting the address change being different from the username of the person who won the auction/paid!

**Sellers usually lose in this situation since Ebay's rules forbid shipping to "third parties" (i.e. to an address that wasn't on the Paypal payment).

I realize that this won't be news to some of you, but it was to me. In this case I was the buyer, and while I did eventually get my money back (most of it anyway), it was unpleasant especially when the seller questioned whether *I* might be a friend of the scammer and that maybe we were "in this together"!

This is what happened:

1. A few weeks ago I purchased a 125ml bottle of Dior La Collection on Ebay (US). I paid within 30 minutes of winning the auction. The item was supposed to be sent to California (to a relative of mine), and the address on the Paypal payment indicated this.

2. Very shortly after receiving my payment, she (the seller) got a message from an Ebay user (which I don't have a screenshot of unfortunately, but she sent me one) which used a very light, friendly attitude with an apology that they hadn't updated their Ebay address book, but wished the perfume to be sent to their mother for her birthday, and could the seller please send it to the following address, etc.

3. The shipping address was sent to the seller using a screenshot from the scammer's Ebay address book, I think. (see photo attached).

4. There was a short discussion about the address being blurry and apparently the scammer typed in the address in a separate message.

5. The seller shipped the perfume to the scammer's address in Delaware, and I received an email from Ebay with the tracking number.

6. When I checked the tracking a few days later, I saw that the package had been delivered (yay!) ... in DELAWARE (???).

7. I assumed that the seller had mistakenly given me the wrong tracking number, so I wrote her. She answered "Hello. The address you gave was NEWCASTLE, DE."

8. I started to open a case with Ebay just to get things rolling since I realized we had a problem here.

NOTE: One of the things that the poor seller couldn't wrap her head around was "How could the scammer possibly have known exactly when you paid (if it wasn't you - the insinuation), and written me right afterwards?!?"The answer, I believe, is that THEY DON'T KNOW, but they HOPE! They take a bunch of shots and eventually hit something at the right time!* After all, how LONG can you possibly wait to pay before you get in trouble with Ebay, right? Three days? A week? I'm guessing that many people wait for the auction to end and go ahead and pay within an hour (this wasn't a Buy It Now auction). The scammers might be watching many auctions, and copy/pasting these messages to the sellers (as you can see from the title of the message in one of the photos below: Re: (scammer) has sent a question about Item #...")

Very quickly the seller realized something weird had happened, and eventually understood after speaking with Ebay, that she never should have sent to an address that wasn't on the payment.

Moral: SELLERS, PLEASE BE CAREFUL! And as for buyers - from now on I'm going to be writing the seller immediately after winning, warning them not to ship to an address that isn't on my Paypal payment due to this experience, and include the shipping address in the message as well.

I hope this post helps someone avoid this scam - it's a real thing (just Google it like I did and you'll see it's been going on for at least 2 years), and it happened to me (and this poor seller...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: PSA: Ebay SCAMMERS contact seller after you pay & ask seller to ship to different (their!) addre

Sorry to hear that this happened to you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: PSA: Ebay SCAMMERS contact seller after you pay & ask seller to ship to different (their!) addre

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sorry to hear that this happened to you.
    Thanks so much, Hednic

Basenotes Plus

Pfranka-

Thanks for posting this. I believe this scam may be more common than is realized. I am by no means a big seller on Ebay, but a scammer contacted me recently after a sale in exactly the way that you describe, asking me to send the perfume to his girlfriend, to a different address than the one on the buyer's account. Nothing matched up, so after trying to puzzle it out, I reported it to Ebay and learned this was a scam. I suppose if you were a seller sending out a lot of packages, it would be easy to be fooled.

And you're right, Ebay requires that any sale be sent to the address of the buyer.

I didn't think to post here, so I'm glad you did.

poor seller. Did he/she not realize that email came from a different user?

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Pfranka-

Thanks for posting this. I believe this scam may be more common than is realized. I am by no means a big seller on Ebay, but a scammer contacted me recently after a sale in exactly the way that you describe, asking me to send the perfume to his girlfriend, to a different address than the one on the buyer's account. Nothing matched up, so after trying to puzzle it out, I reported it to Ebay and learned this was a scam. I suppose if you were a seller sending out a lot of packages, it would be easy to be fooled.

And you're right, Ebay requires that any sale be sent to the address of the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Pfranka-

I am so sorry (but not surprised) to see how widespread this is.
    In my case I believe my seller was just a very busy person on their phone in general (not such a big Ebayer), and she corresponded with the scammer on her phone, making it perhaps more difficult to realize what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissochka View Post
    poor seller. Did he/she not realize that email came from a different user?
    Unfortunately, not until it was too late.

I know of a recent situation where a person purchased a verified fake from eBay. The seller agreed to take the item back, but the buyer noticed that the return name is different from the original seller, but the address is still the same. Possibly a duplex? Apartment? Both names at the same address are in on a scam? The person is suppose to contact eBay and ask why the names are different.

Thanks for posting about this scam, I wasn't aware of it, and as a seller (and buyer) it's always good to know the latest tricks. I could see falling for this if you had a bunch of items for sale, or if you had several items ending around the same time. The eBay interface is really pretty shitty in terms of its user-friendliness and how it stores and manages messages. I have issues with it all the time.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    The buyers Paypal address has to match the delivery address, that's the only way you are protected.
    100% Correct. I have had people get in touch with me about some vintage cologne I was selling on eBay. Gave me a long story about how he was looking for the cologne for his dad and wanted to know if I could take half of what it was worth because it was for his dads birthday??. Said he wanted me to ship the item to him and he was going to ship it to Singapore. I told him to keep looking because this was a headache in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    The buyers Paypal address has to match the delivery address, that's the only way you are protected.
    Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Thanks for posting about this scam, I wasn't aware of it, and as a seller (and buyer) it's always good to know the latest tricks. I could see falling for this if you had a bunch of items for sale, or if you had several items ending around the same time. The eBay interface is really pretty shitty in terms of its user-friendliness and how it stores and manages messages. I have issues with it all the time.
    It is never fun reliving these things, but that's the main way to make lemonade out of the lemons
    You're right that there is something about the way Ebay is built that allows things like this to happen. For example: How are random unaffiliated (to the auction) Ebayers able to contact the seller about an item that has ended? Or maybe there's some good reason for this that I haven't thought of.

Wow, that's an old story with a new twist. Getting such a request not from the buyer, but from some other user is a huge red flag.
    A couple of years ago I happened to be such an unfortunate seller. The buyer contacted me asking to ship to a different address (long story with vacation elsewhere and parents living in a different country...), the request was sent through WhatsApp. After the parcel was delivered, the buyer claimed I confused the address (on eBay this time), opened the case, eBay refunded her.
    Lesson learned, it was my first and last attempt to sell something on eBay.

Basenotes Plus

Anyone can message anyone on eBay, which is not problematic in itself. The rules about only shipping to verified PayPal addresses are in place for a reason. Honestly, it’s not hard to follow the rules and to say “no” to anyone who asks you to break them. I’ve been a buyer and seller on eBay for many years, and I’ve found the overwhelming majority of people to be good, honest folk. Reasonable precautions usually take care of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by lilioka View Post
    Wow, that's an old story with a new twist. Getting such a request not from the buyer, but from some other user is a huge red flag.
    A couple of years ago I happened to be such an unfortunate seller. The buyer contacted me asking to ship to a different address (long story with vacation elsewhere and parents living in a different country...), the request was sent through WhatsApp. After the parcel was delivered, the buyer claimed I confused the address (on eBay this time), opened the case, eBay refunded her.
    Lesson learned, it was my first and last attempt to sell something on eBay.
    Ouch...I'm so sorry to hear these stories. I have been buying on Ebay for a very long time, but have yet to sell anything there, and these issues are an extra deterrent, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Anyone can message anyone on eBay, which is not problematic in itself. The rules about only shipping to verified PayPal addresses are in place for a reason. Honestly, it’s not hard to follow the rules and to say “no” to anyone who asks you to break them. I’ve been a buyer and seller on eBay for many years, and I’ve found the overwhelming majority of people to be good, honest folk. Reasonable precautions usually take care of the rest.
    You're right.