Code of Conduct
o

Default Samples to get an idea of what I like ?

I'm new, like legit new to fragrances, as in I've only recently started wearing any. I've no idea of what smells like what I'm currently looking to get a fundament for my further progression in the world of fragrances. Kinda like you don't really have any Anker-point when you first start drinking whisky, smoking cigars w/e-

I got Porsche 180 and BB Tonic for Christmas and smelled Invictus also liked it but didn't want to spend 200€ at the store that day. I especially like the Porsche, the BB doesn't smell bad, yet it does seem to cease after wearing it for more than an hour or two.

Are there any samples that combine many different scents (using whisky again, a box that contains a smokey, a malty/fruity one and one that has a maritime note) for not too much money? Or any website (I live in Germany) that offers cheap small samples to get an idea of what I like? Anything you guys would recommend based on the 3 I already know?

Default Re: Samples to get an idea of what I like ?

I don't know if they ship to Germany but I've used:

https://www.perfumesamplesanddecants.com/
    https://www.luckyscent.com/

... and ebay, with decent success. I'd much rather drop $5-$7 on something that is likely to get tossed in the trash than drop $40-200 on a bottle of something that I find unwearable.

I can't tell you what you should try but here are some of my top faves:

- John Varvatos by John Varvatos. I consider this my signature scent. Due to its age, it has become more widespread but, back in the day, I rocked this like a rock-star. At the time it was released, most men's fragrances (in US dept stores) were locked in a battle to be the fresh-fruity-floral King of the Hill. JV was a stand-out, ruggedly masculine by comparison to the popular fragrances then. Suitable for most occasions, masculine, unoffensive. Niche-snobs will despise its risk-aversity but I wear fragrances not only for myself but also to give a pleasing aroma to those around me. In short, I love it so much precisely because it is so conservative, yet still distinctly masculine. Give it a try, you won't regret it.

- Dolce & Gabbana The One for Men. I wear this for more formal occasions or sometimes I will layer it over something that is fresh and that I would like to round out a little bit. Very woody, ambery and has the DNA from D&G The One (for women) which gives it this crazy beauty. There are definitely a lot of synthetics in this perfume and not all noses will like it. Definitely a designer fragrance, the textbook definition, actually. If you work in an office with lots of perfume-wearers (I don't), you are at danger of "blending into the background" with this one.

- Tom Ford Ombre Leather. This is an amazing perfume. Mega-projection, good longevity. Its leather note is so distinctive, there's nothing else out there even remotely like it. In addition, it has this strong "shoe-rubber" note that gives it a pleasing scent-portrait like the scent of a new car, or a brand new pair of high-end leather shoes. There is a slight hint of berries in the opening. The opening blast calms down after about 20 minutes and you start to pick up the jasmine which strikes me more like a mixed bouquet with a few roses at the center and a bunch of other florals around it. The leather and shoe-rubber note balance out the floral accord so that this does not feel overly-floral (which, to many noses, is synonymous with "feminine").

- Lalique Encre Noire. Lots of YouTube rave-reviews for this one, it's at an unbelievable price-point (as low as $25 USD for 100mL from some sellers). People attribute a lot of notes to this fragrance that I don't get. To me, the scent-portrait is a flower-pot. Not the flowers, just the pot, dirt and roots... like a flower-pot where the flowers have just been uprooted. Super fresh, like a bar of soap. I use this as a general layering fragrance, so I tend to apply it under my shirt (breast, abdomen) and then apply another fragrance on top of it. A specific layering that I like is Prada Luna Rossa Carbon x EN. The Prada is a freshie with a slight barbershop quality and gives a little excitement and complexity, where the EN is super-earthy and fresh and grounds the otherwise over-excitable Prada. But lots of combinations are possible and I think EN is super under-priced in terms of the quality of the fragrance. "Niche-quality" is frequently used by reviewers describing this fragrance.

So, there you have a few of my top recommendations. My fragrance journey is still very much in its early stages, but thought I'd help you as much as I can....

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatann View Post
    I'm new, like legit new to fragrances, as in I've only recently started wearing any. I've no idea of what smells like what I'm currently looking to get a fundament for my further progression in the world of fragrances. Kinda like you don't really have any Anker-point when you first start drinking whisky, smoking cigars w/e-

I got Porsche 180 and BB Tonic for Christmas and smelled Invictus also liked it but didn't want to spend 200€ at the store that day. I especially like the Porsche, the BB doesn't smell bad, yet it does seem to cease after wearing it for more than an hour or two.

Are there any samples that combine many different scents (using whisky again, a box that contains a smokey, a malty/fruity one and one that has a maritime note) for not too much money? Or any website (I live in Germany) that offers cheap small samples to get an idea of what I like? Anything you guys would recommend based on the 3 I already know?
    I would suggest Essenza Nobile and AusliebeZumDuft for online stores.
    Currently wearing: Iris de Nuit by Heeley

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Another online store to consider for samples - Parfumaria (The Netherlands)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Also adding Manufactum.de for more niche/alternative and/or Douglas.de for more mainstream niche/designer choices, if these site will ever join the ones that retail and ship samples, if not, the German subdivision of EU scent retailing conglomerate Notino/Beautypsin etc. also seems to have samples in stock/store for almost any given fragrance in their current, to a a lesser extent, even their discontinued offer

Basenotes Member

You can also try the community at Fragrantica. I'm sure there are many members nearby that are willing to send you some samples.

I've had bad experienced with notino so they're out. Ordered Boss Bottled Tonic and it was - I guess - a fake. The package seemed (compared to the one I later bought in a local shop) quite off, different font, letter size and placement. The perfume itself smelled different too, as in it had no smell at all. Like no, I put 10 "sprays" on my forearm and it disappeared within 10 minutes. COMPLETLY. No smell at all, nothing, I even asked multiple people if they could smell it and all asked me if I was sure that I was wearing perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I would suggest Essenza Nobile and AusliebeZumDuft for online stores.
    Found AusLiebeZumDuft too! They seem awesome, sadly they don't offer many of the fragrancies shown in the beginner thread. At least none that I would like, but I'll check out the other store! Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Scent Samples is a good option if you don't mind the shipping fee from the UK to Germany. Good selection of luxury perfumes and decent price for Creed and Tom Ford samples.
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.
    Currently wearing: Fleurissimo by Creed