Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Your Perfume Rotations in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    It is true, Kotori, that I got I little scattered last month. I'm in a period of reinvention for my wardrobe, so no guarantee there won't be more upheaval. Or maybe this group of seven will produce a two-month stand. That would be impressive!
    Wardrobe reinvention sounds interesting. (I think I’m in a state of other types of reinvention.) Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    I'm going to join in the Jo Malone fun this month by having my four Jo Malone scents in my July rotation.
    ...the four Jo Malone scents
    Ginger Biscuit
    Myrrh & Tonka
    Orris & Sandalwood
    Wood Sage & Sea Salt
    Oh, that’s a good idea. Maybe I should do that! But I already have a full tray for this month since my 12-year-old pulled out his choices. I’m going to have to get Mr. Kotori to unpack Wood Sage Sea Salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Thanks, ladies, I'm looking forward to a Jo Malone group rotation!
    Me too!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Sandalwood by Pacifica

These are my older son’s choices for July:

Bonfire
    Cristalle Eau Verte
    Eau Belle
    Eau Claire des Merveilles
    Eau de Magnolia
    Escale a Portofino
    Flower by Kenzo
    Hanae Mori EDT
    No. 19 Poudre
    No. 5 L’Eau
    Silk Blossom
    Sira des Indes
    Traversee du Bosphore
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Y by YSL

There are also some Jo Malones including:

Basil Neroli
    Orange Bitters
    Lime Basil Mandarin
    Wood Sage Sea Salt
    Nectarine Blossom & Honey

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    ... But I already have a full tray for this month since my 12-year-old pulled out his choices.
    That's adorable, Katori! You're raising him right.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Wardrobe reinvention sounds interesting. (I think I’m in a state of other types of reinvention.) Do tell.
    I'm hooked on 70s and 80s masculines more than previously, and now getting into post-2015 non-IFRA fragrances (which don't get into gender marketing that I've seen).

I'm into the idea that a bunch of houses had an outstanding early masculine release:

1. Davidoff by Davidoff (1st masculine release, 1984) - New to me
    2. Boss Number One (1st, 1985)
    3. Moschino Pour Homme (1st, 1990)
    4. Gucci Pour Homme (1st, 1976) - New to me
    5. Cartier Santos (1st, 1981) - New to me
    6. Givenchy Gentleman (3rd, 1974) (+ 7. Monsieur de Givenchy - 1st, 1959)
    8. Bijan for Men (1st, 1981) - New to me
    9. Versace L'Homme (1st, 1984)
    10. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (1st, 1973)
    11. Hermes Bel Ami (2nd, 1986)
    12. Pascal Morabito Or Black (1st, 1982) - New to me
    13. Patou Pour Homme (3rd, 1980) (+ 14. Prive - 4th, 1994)
    15. Ralph Lauren Polo (1st, 1978)
    16. Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men (1st, 1984)
    17. Puig Quorom (4th, 1982) - New to me

A few houses click beyond my favorite hit-release (or two):

18. Chanel Pour Monsier, 19. Antaeus, 20. Egoiste, 21. Platinum Egosite, 22. Edition Blanche
    23. Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, 24. Habit Rouge, 25. Derby (1985) - New to me
    26. Dior Jules, 27. Fahrenheit, 28. Fahrenheit Summer, 29. Dior Homme

For the more recent stuff, I'm liking Rogue and starting to get into Spirit Bear.

Some of the fragrances that weren't clicking have been recategorized as samples such as Heritage and Allure Homme. The Leonard Pour Homme bottle has gone in with the samples. There's nothing marketed to women that's as much of a mainstay as these, but I'm frequently sampling to find the ones that work. Vintage Miss Dior and Dior-Dior come close to edging their way in. Or some of the Guerlains: Sous le Vent, Mitsouko, Chamade. Or Bois des Iles or Cuir de Russie. It could be a matter of time, but for now I'm liking 70s/80s men's stuff first, and the more recent non-IFRA unisex stuff second.

My wardrobe is always going through some slow process of reinvention, but it escalated in the last six months when I wanted to increase the concentration of 70s and 80s masculines, and got the seven new ones. How's your reinvention going?

If I still have an itch, or a curiosity, it's for the mid 70s. After that, I'll probably be more focused on current stuff.

With a lot of the listed fragrances, there are trends coming together:

1. The ingredients used in fragrances around that time, the 70s and 80s, seem good;

2. Ideas developed in previous decades for women's fragrances were being redeveloped for men; and

3. These initial or early masculine house releases are from when the inspiration and ambition seemed to burn brightest for these houses.
    Last edited by Bavard; 4th July 2020 at 01:51 PM.

Sillage Monster

Very interesting post, Bavard.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

So, I am going to take a whack at this. I sort of do it, anyway. I usually just grab a handful of things, that I think look interesting, and I keep those out of the perfume cupboard and fridge. I would never get ready for work on time, unless I limited my choices to whatever fits on the tray. Plus, our “country house” doesn’t have my entire collection. I swap them, from season to season, because I feel pretty sure that I won’t be wearing my incense bombs and major Orientals now.

So, I picked a dozen. I’m also going to count in whatever new perfumes I’ve bought this month, as bonus selections..

So, the original lineup:

Roses (i’m on a kick):
    Rose Splendide (pretty, soft rose)**
    Rose Rebelle Respawn (funky rose)
    Raw Silk & Red Roses (Classic velvety rose)
    Grès Cabaret (Fizzy fruity rose)

Summer fruity florals:
    Sira des Indes (pineapple)
    Peau de Peche (peach)
    1969 (peach with patchouli)
    Fig-Tea (fig is a fruit, and it has been wearing very well this summer)
    Beyond Paradise (??? Lauder’s weirdass marketing doesn’t help either. But I love the stuff )

Eaux:
    Eau de Cartier (Classic Eau)
    Eau des Merveilles Bleu (salty, aquatic. Actually also fruity)

Divas, for when I’m not in the mood for obvious summer perfume:
    Azuree (leather and jasmine bomb. The name is summery)
    Si Lolita Eau de Minuit (I can’t replace my beloved Paparadscha, which I normally wear in summer. This, sort of, works instead)

And a vanilla (gotta have vanilla for summer!)
    Mugler Aura

Bonus perfumes (so far. I have a few new babies up my sleeve)
    Eau de Cartier Goutte de Rose (another eau, but also a rose)
    MAC Creme d’Nude (I still don’t know how to describe this. Could it be an amber? Maybe it’s in the Fragrances of the World database)

In addition, I have samples to test and try to make some decisions about. I, actually, have a goal in mind: writes a review for whatever I wear before the month ends. Rose Splendide is in the can already, and I have broad strokes for Baiser Volé already). I have a bunch of 4160 Tuesdays, a couple of Amouages, and another MAC Shadescent—Candy Yum). Maybe this will help me feel productive. (asterisks indicate that I've submitted a complete review)

Edit 7/10: Adding Ambra di Luna. I think I"ll wear it to bed quite a bit, regardless of the weather.
    I now have two completed reviews, but neither of
    Last edited by khanada; 10th July 2020 at 08:11 AM.
    "Put on some red lipstick, and live a little."--Dita Von Teese

Oh, Khanada! Nice to read your post. I have tried and remember fairly well Rose Splendide, Raw Silk and Red Roses, Sira des Indes, and 1969. Lovely perfumes.

For me, it's not worth writing reviews unless I'm on Basenotes Plus. It does make me feel productive.

Update: I've covertly added Santos to my rotation this month, so I'm up to eight fragrances. I have a thing for Santos and/or Bijan for Men at the moment, so I need at least on of those in rotation. When I had both of them going, I was even more into the Bijan, but with the Bijan sitting out, and with Santos featuring, Santos is seizing the spotlight.
    Last edited by Bavard; 9th July 2020 at 05:42 PM.

Oh, Khanada! Nice to read your post. I have tried and remember fairly well Rose Splendide, Raw Silk and Red Roses, Sira des Indes, and 1969. Lovely perfumes.

For me, it's not worth writing reviews unless I'm on Basenotes Plus. It does make me feel productive.

Update: I've covertly added Santos to my rotation this month, so I'm up to eight fragrances. I have a thing for Santos and/or Bijan for Men at the moment, so I need at least on of those in rotation. When I had both of them going, I was even more into the Bijan, but with the Bijan sitting out, and with Santos featuring, Santos is seizing the spotlight.
    I adore Santos! It reminds me of my father. I've never smelled Bijan for Men, but I love the female of the species. I'll even wear the current stuff. I should pop it onto my (already much too long) wishlist, that I probably need to edit, or somehow modify, because a lot of those are seasonal items that I only buy in decants. I tried implemeting a rule, where I had to buy and finish a large decant, before I could purchase a full bottle of anything, but it is not always cost-effective. I don't mind having a lot of perfumes, so long as they all get worn. I think doing an official rotation, that I actually think about, instead of just reaching for some bottles, will help me ensure that they all see plenty of wear. I can always justify new purchases, so long as I'm wearing everything.
    "Put on some red lipstick, and live a little."--Dita Von Teese

I had trouble sticking with my July rotation in the second half of the month. It's the second month in a row where this has happened, I'm interested to see what happens during August. If it keeps up, I may have to switch to a fortnightly rotation or have my monthly rotation for three weeks with an "anything goes" week for that last week in the month.

My August Rotation is:

Creamy Vanilla Crumble by 4160 Tuesdays
    Eau Rose by Diptyque
    Grand Soir by MFK
    LPRN Black Perfecto EDP by Guerlain
    LPRN EDP by Guerlain
    Raw Silk & Red Roses by 4160 Tuesdays
    Rose Flash by Tauerville
    Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens
    Tiare by Ormonde Jayne
    Tubéreuse 1 Capricieuse by HdP

A total of 10 this month!
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Tiare by Ormonde Jayne

My numbers for July were good. The eight bottles were each used two to seven times. Fahrenheit Summer and Gucci Pour Homme were two of the big ones, and Gucci Pour Homme has been kept on for August.

The lineup: Platinum Egoiste, Bijan for Men, Gucci Pour Homme, Tuscany, and Eau de Cologne Imperiale.

686B136C-6B67-4E6F-8B01-0346C666DEAB.jpg

I've already started with Tuscany. I'm going to be swamped with samples soon, so playing time could be limited.
    Last edited by Bavard; 31st July 2020 at 02:45 PM.

August rotation

Knowing
    Nahema
    Elixir des merveilles
    Sycomore
    Coco
    Fracas
    Sous le vent
    Madame X
    Attraction
    Prada Candy
    Currently wearing: Madame X by Ava Luxe

Sillage Monster

My July rotation was a bust: my Jo Malone rotation barely lasted a week. However, I went on a very enjoyable amber streak, followed up with a citrus/light floral streak.

I will continue freestyling in August, but expect to focus on citrus, floral, patchouli, and who knows what else. Currently, I like to wear numerous fragrances in a row that share notes or a style.

Bavard, your journey is so interesting and I love the patterns you’re recognizing. The association between a beacon masculine offering and brightly burning hope is poignant.

khanada, welcome!

Trilby Lark Same one week experience for me with Jo Malone. I still might pick up Basil & Neroli, though. Still deciding. There are other neroli fragrances I prefer, but the basil is so interesting.

Well, everyone, July has left me exhausted and depleted and I’m glad to see it go. You know it’s a bad month when I skip wearing perfume along with missing meals and scheduled calls with friends. Work has been soul-killingly busy, but I do have some hope for August. Either way, September will be better.

Anyway, I put together my own rotation today a couple of days late:

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune
    Beige
    Cristalle Eau Verte
    Eau Claire des Merveilles
    Eau de Magnolia
    Eau Parfumee au the Blanc
    Escale a Portofino
    Galop d’Hermes
    La Petite Robe Noire Eau Fraiche
    Sandalwood by Pacifica
    Tabacco Toscano
    The Pour Une Ete
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I still have an itch, or a curiosity, it's for the mid 70s.
    I can relate to that. But not just perfume. I’m feeling mid century decorating, music...

Freed from BN Institution

I've added Guerlain Sous Le Vent, Vol de Nuit, and Mitsouko to the rotation, they've seen an increase in number of wears recently.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4