Code of Conduct

Default Are their any molecules which smell like Parma Violets?

I'm looking for molecules which smell like Parma Violets.

Default Re: Are their any molecules which smell like Parma Violets?

The closest I've found is alpha ionone, but all the ionones smell pretty similar (relatively speaking, some will disagree with that).
    If you're talking about smelling exactly the way violets - and in particular parma violets - do, then no, no single molecule will really smell quite the same as them.
    Violet accords and violet note bases are pretty common and available from perfumery suppliers. Even violet fragrance oils for soap making do a pretty good high quality job smelling like violets (even though many other fragrance oils don't do a good job actually really smelling like what they're trying to smell like).

If you're talking about only one molecule, it's going to be one of the ionones.

If you're interested in adding some of the more subtle green aspects of violet into the fragrance, a little bit of nonadienal and cucumber accord can be used.

But depending on the application, it may just be simpler for you to buy a violet fragrance oil or perfume base. It will have everything already mixed in.

Now if you're talking about smelling specifically like parma violets, rather than regular fragrant violets, that's a separate issue, and nothing I've typed here really relates to that.
    (But I'm assuming that's not really a big concern of yours, and that regular fragrant violets will smell perfectly fine for you)

By the way, I would be extremely interested if someone else has any ideas on additional molecules to make ionones smell more like actual violets, besides the ones already mentioned.

Basenotes Member

My collection of ac is not that huge yet, however Violettyne MIP comes to my mind

Last edited by Dmitriy; 27th December 2019 at 05:12 PM.

Can you please clarify what it is you are looking for? When you say you want it to smell like "Parma Violets" do you mean the actual flower (plant) or the Parma Violet candies?

If you're trying to recreate the violet candy, I would add a sweet vanilla note such as ethyl vanillin or ethyl maltol to give it that sweet, gourmand candy vibe. Also using trace amounts of a bitter almond & muscadine underpinning will boost the violet notes in your blend and help to make the violet note more diffusive (thereby perceived as stronger).

Also, please keep in mind that it's impossible to recreate the fragrance of anything that contains hundreds (perhaps thousands) of aroma molecules by using just a single molecule. It's like saying you want to make paella, but you only want to use one ingredient that tastes like all of the flavors in the recipe.

You can add certain molecules (specifically ionones) to bring out certain characteristics that you'd like to feature in the scent, but you can't recreate the complexity of a living flower with only one molecule.

Another note on ionones in general...ionones are ketones which when smelled will bind to your scent receptors and block incoming stimulus until they are released. This means that usually the first sniff will give you the violet smell & then it will immediately disappear. As if you've become anosmic to it. Then when you breathe out, your scent receptors "reset" and you can smell it again briefly for another sniff. The same thing can happen with various isomers present in Sandalwood. That's a very simplistic explanation, but hopefully somewhat helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Alan View Post
    Can you please clarify what it is you are looking for? When you say you want it to smell like "Parma Violets" do you mean the actual flower (plant) or the Parma Violet candies?
    This is a good point! Violets in real life are far more 'green' and fatty - the sweets are simpler. Vanillin is important, maybe a touch of anisaldehyde or, weirdly, a musk like ethylene brassylate.

If you're looking for the green note from the violet leaves, try adding just a touch of violet leaf absolute or violet decenol. Born of them are EXTREMELY STRONG and can overtake your blend so I would make solutions of them first & add the dilution to your concentrate. They will give you that green, stemmy note if you're going for a true violet plant profile

If you're looking for the green note from the violet leaves, try adding just a touch of violet leaf absolute or violet decenol.
    Does anyone have any comments about how violet decenol compares to nonadienal?

Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    Does anyone have any comments about how violet decenol compares to nonadienal?
    I'm sniffing a 10% dilution of both right now. The violet decenol is green & waxy in almost a tomato leaf type of way. Definite violet/orris tones but not in a sweet or powdery way. There's a fruity nuance to it maybe like mango or green papaya? Even at 10% it's extremely strong & sharp smelling.

The nondaienol that I have is the 6-cis and it's green, leafy & oily but not in a waxy way. Almost like in a dirty pillowcase kind of way (similar to costus root). But the green note in this is not stemmy or earthy, but more like a cucumber slice smell. Almost aquatic in a way is that makes sense. Does that help?

Last edited by Darren Alan; 28th December 2019 at 09:28 PM.

Does that help?
    Can I ask, do they smell different enough that you think there would be a big benefit to using both, rather than just one or the other?

Yes, thanks so much.

Neither of those can hold a candle to violet leaf absolute though. The absolute is more earthy though, which I love. Also it adds a gorgeous green color to your perfumes very much like a violet version of oakmoss absolute

Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    Can I ask, do they smell different enough that you think there would be a big benefit to using both, rather than just one or the other?

Yes, thanks so much.
    Yes to me they do smell completely different in their nuance. But I guess it would depend on what effect you were going for. Not to further confuse things, but there's also violet propanol , which offers a woody nuance in addition to the violet leaf note.

Quote Originally Posted by perfumum View Post
    This is a good point! Violets in real life are far more 'green' and fatty - the sweets are simpler. Vanillin is important, maybe a touch of anisaldehyde or, weirdly, a musk like ethylene brassylate.
    Yes musk with violet is gorgeous. It helps to prolong the longevity and reminds me of Insolence by Guerlain which I love. Even Iso E Super would be lovely with violet if you want to bring out a more woody orris root facet. That would be really sexy actually!

Neither of those can hold a candle to violet leaf absolute though. The absolute is more earthy though, which I love. Also it adds a gorgeous green color to your perfumes very much like a violet version of oakmoss absolute

In another thread, a headspace of the flowers was showing some 1-octen-3-ol, so definitely a mushroom/soil vibe, which could be what you get from smelling them, especially with the dimethyl hydroquinone that was also found in it.