Code of Conduct
o

Smile Is It Always About Pinching a Penny For You?

When you decide you’d like to buy a certain fragrance, do you always seek out the cheapest possible source to buy it from, or do you take other things into consideration, like supporting a small business, buying from someone you know personally, shipping and handling time and expertise, assurance that the fragrance has been treated properly (stored well, relatively fresh, authentic, etc.), purchasing directly from the perfumer, prestige and reputation of the store/retailer, etc.? Or are there specific brands for which you’ll do this but others you won’t? And how does it affect your overall experience with the fragrance? Are you any more or less appreciative of fragrances you’ve intentionally paid more for for any of the reasons described?

I know when I buy Chanel, for example, that I’ll either go directly to Chanel.com or a high-profile retailer like Sephora or Macy’s, due to the proliferation of fakes on places such as eBay. And although I may be paying full retail price, I always have complete peace of mind that the fragrance is fresh and authentic and the best possible quality of that particular brand that I can obtain. And while it’s no big deal, its arrival in a nice, sturdy Chanel box tied with a ribbon and packed with carded samples is a nice touch. Whether consciously or not, I find I end up holding these fragrances in a bit of a higher esteem than say, the time I bought a bottle of a Chanel for a bargain price from Fragrancenet, or any other designer I picked up at a deep discount on eBay. Sometimes spending the extra few dollars seems worth it.

The same goes for fragrances I’ve purchased from certain “mom ‘n pop” shops with which I’ve established a relationship with the owners and/or staff. The extra cost usually seems worth it, as in the end I care for those fragrances just a little bit more—not just because I paid more for it—but because I know who I gave my money to, and I know the bottle had been properly stored and cared for, and likely purchased from an authorized distributor before I bought it. There’s the notion of buying from people who specialize in something as opposed to a large, faceless corporation that sells huge quantities of everything imaginable And there’s also more of a personal connection on some level when you buy from a small mom ‘n pop or brick and mortar shop. Or not. While these things have an effect on me, for some people they don’t matter at all, and anything other than price is an irrational, emotional, and ultimately frivolous consideration.

Where do you land when it comes to buying fragrances? Do you always seek the cheapest source possible or do you take other things into account? Do you have a favorite shop you’re happy to give a few extra dollars to, or is it a clear cut, black and white issue of who will save you the most money?
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Default Re: Is It Always About Pinching a Penny For You?

I want to save money but I also want to make sure I am getting the authentic cologne.The ideal situation is when I can get a cologne for a fair price directly from the company themselves.Example Patrick from Fragrances of Ireland,plus they seem like a nice charming small company,and that is an added bonus for me.High retail prices,low quality of modern colognes,searching for discount s are just some of the reasons I don't buy many colognes anymore,I just stick to a few favorites.

Pretty much. Unless I've experienced problems with the cheapest seller.

While price and especially an affordable price may be among the top selling arguments, it is definitely not the only and possibly also note even the most important one.

Generally, do tend to look and seek after the reliability, the positive feedback/brand reputation so far of a specific retailer and if the price bracket or price/quality ratio are also right on budget or at least somewhat affordable, then deciding to usually go for that particular buy-if the price happens to be already good even at full retail, without any penny pinching, the likelier the transaction might become, almost irrespective of brand, retailer, price category, dominant note (s), style etc.

As long as the vendor is reliable, I'm going with the lowest price.

For my Diors, I always go to my rep at Saks as long as it's a fragrance that I can get in the US. She's great and always gives me a heads up about upcoming promotions or whenever they receive products that might be of interest to me. I've also had her procure other non-beauty items for me. I may go to her in the future for some lines that Saks has on the website but not in our store.

For my Frederic Malles, I like going to my rep at Neiman Marcus. He's really friendly and is very generous with samples. I could buy from Selfridges, though, and may go that route in the future for some of that line.

I like building relationships with reps for brands or lines that I can't as easily find at a discount. It's worth it to me most of the time.

For other brands, I'll just go for the lowest price.

I almost never use Ebay or Amazon. If it's not on FragranceX or FrangranceNet or Perfumania, I just get it from a retailer like Macy's, Sephore, Ulta.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

I never use ebay or Amazon.Even if the cologne was authentic from them I would still be questioning it.I did use Fragrancenet once and had no problem.

Basenotes Plus

Hmm,

When I have the means I will buy retails for 'some' fragrances in order to open the door to get samples. Most of the time I will shop for a deal. There are times when buying at a high price are warranted for me:

1. To establish a relationship with a store sales associate in order to ensure samples can be obtained. (To an enthusiast, this is 'critical' to growing this hobby as very few people can afford to buy full price bottles willy-nilly.)

2. The fragrance in question is discontinued and a private seller is pricing it slightly above its original retail price. Then it's justified if the fragrance is something you have smelled and 'must' have.

3. The fragrance in question is a vintage (well preserved used bottle or new) and can be practically priceless depending on its rarity. And as said before this wholly depends on how 'you' personally value the fragrance.

I have looked over my collection and asked myself "if this fragrance were to be completely unavailable in a decade, what would I pay for it?".....and one such scent is Vintage Shulton Old Spice. A scent from my childhood that is not really available today (the modern Old Spice, while still smelling fine, is clearly different). I found a very, very rare sale on ebay a few years back for some 1980's Shulton retail-store-exclusive tester bottles. The seller had come across dozens of these bottles in storage crates and bought them up, then sold them on ebay. These are literally impossible to find. I first bought 1 bottle to ensure the quality, and sure enough it was in stunningly brand new condition (like the scent was bottled yesterday). I then bought enough bottles to last me the rest of my life. Now that those bottles have long sold out, I doubt anyone will ever see them sell on ebay again unless they get very, very lucky.

In short, I figure if I ever ran out of Shulton Old Spice, I would have paid $1,000 for a 4 ounce bottle, maybe more. So, buying six 4-ounce tester bottles for $135 (with juice so potent that I only require 1 or 2 sprays) was worth it for a lifetime supply.

I've bought a few other items here and there that I've reasoned out spending more to obtain.

Dependent

Not always no. Sometimes I want to buy retail over grey market. Fear of fakes. Also, I'll pay more at a discounter such as FragranceX over FragranceNet depending - because of shipping speed and just feels better.

But also, a lot of stuff I want isn't sold retail anymore (unless you can find a mom & pop store or something).
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I don't want to take this off topic,but I just wanted to mention one more thing.The skyrocketing prices of colognes and perfumes in general has actually saved me money and time.Sometimes there is a fragrance that catches my interest(very few these days do) and then I look at the high price and I no longer have any interest in it.Had the price been fair I may have purchased it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    I don't want to take this off topic,but I just wanted to mention one more thing.The skyrocketing prices of colognes and perfumes in general has actually saved me money and time.Sometimes there is a fragrance that catches my interest(very few these days do) and then I look at the high price and I no longer have any interest in it.Had the price been fair I may have purchased it.
    Look at it from a different perspective. Let's say a relatively high cost of $150 for a 100ml. If you wore this 5 days a week for work with a moderate 3 sprays, that's roughly 1 1/4 years. Say it lasts you 8 hours a day. That's over 2,660 hours of use for $150. So $0.0563 per hour. I'd say that's pretty affordable, no?
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    When you decide you’d like to buy a certain fragrance, do you always seek out the cheapest possible source to buy it from, or do you take other things into consideration, like supporting a small business, buying from someone you know personally, shipping and handling time and expertise, assurance that the fragrance has been treated properly (stored well, relatively fresh, authentic, etc.), purchasing directly from the perfumer, prestige and reputation of the store/retailer, etc.?
    If there is something I feel I want to add to my collection or that just came out and must have, I simply buy it regardless of the price. I personally never spend time seeking out the cheapest possible source.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Look at it from a different perspective. Let's say a relatively high cost of $150 for a 100ml. If you wore this 5 days a week for work with a moderate 3 sprays, that's roughly 1 1/4 years. Say it lasts you 8 hours a day. That's over 2,660 hours of use for $150. So $0.0563 per hour. I'd say that's pretty affordable, no?
    For me it is not necessarily about affordability.
    Call me old fashioned but I just don't believe in spending over a certain price for colognes and perfumes.However I do think if someone really likes a fragrance they should spend the extra money rather than settling for one they don't like as much just because it costs less.

Basenotes Plus

Depends on the fragrance and if I truly need it right away. I care about authenticity as well if it’s from a legit discounter than I’ll buy it but a brand like Chanel I buy direct from Chanel.com or Ulta or Nordstrom. Some fragrances hold their retail value well and even discount value so I’m not big on saving a few bucks to possibly receive a fake on eBay etc.
    “I find fragrance to be such a mood enhancer and definitely a seduction tool.”