Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone Have Experience with SELFRIDGES & CO.?

Particularly anyone in the US who has placed an order with them?

I placed an order on December 26 and of course got an immediate response that my order was received. They said they would then send me another email once my order was "dispatched." That could mean a number of things depending on how your interpret "dispatched." Anyway, I haven't heard from them since and the order was originally expected to arrive on January 4. I'm considering emailing them but don't want to be a hassle if it's not necessary.

I guess my question is:

Has anyone (especially in the US) used them before, and how was the service?

Do you remember if they only emailed you immediately after your order was placed and then again right after it was shipped? Or did they also send you a notice in between that it was received and being prepared for shipment.

Thanks. Probably some unnecessary worry on my part, but orders can fall through the cracks at times.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & B˙zios Brasil

Default Re: Anyone Have Experience with SELFRIDGES & CO.?

Yes. Have ordered from them at least seven times. This is the problem with their customer service: They are very good in processing your order quickly and sending you a follow-up e-mail days later that your order has shipped. However they never send you or post the tracking info on their website for US orders or any info thereafter as I learned early on. They use DHL Express and what you have to do is about two days after you get the Selfridges email saying you order has shipped, call the DHL Express 800 number and tell them that you are having difficulty getting the tracking number from the merchant and need help. Give them your name, address, zip code and tell them you are expecting a package from Selfridges originating in Birmingham, England. They will search in their system and provide you with the tracking number. Then you should be fine.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yes. Have ordered from them at least seven times. This is the problem with their customer service: They are very good in processing your order quickly and sending you a follow-up e-mail days later that your order has shipped. However they never send you or post the tracking info on their website for US orders or any info thereafter as I learned early on. They use DHL Express and what you have to do is about two days after you get the Selfridges email saying you order has shipped, call the DHL Express 800 number and tell them that you are having difficulty getting the tracking number from the merchant and need help. Give them your name, address, zip code and tell them you are expecting a package from Selfridges originating in Birmingham, England. They will search in their system and provide you with the tracking number. Then you should be fine.
    Thank you. That's exactly what I was hoping to glean from this thread...and then some.

DHL usually emails me or texts me directly when something is headed my way. I imagine they'll do the same for this order once it's prepared. If not, I'll definitely call and follow your instructions.

Great information!

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Thank you. That's exactly what I was hoping to glean from this thread...and then some.

DHL usually emails me or texts me directly when something is headed my way. I imagine they'll do the same for this order once it's prepared. If not, I'll definitely call and follow your instructions.

Great information!
    Unfortunately for some strange reason, DHL On Demand doesn't get the info from Selfridges and therefore isn't able to text or email customers with purchases from here. Any other company from any other country, I always get a message from DHL with details but not from a purchase made at Selfridges. It has to do apparently with the way personal info is entered on the Selfridges website, specifically phone numbers that don't match the way that they are entered on the DHL website when one signs up for info. That's why a phone call to DHL is necessary as your purchase won't show up automatically on DHL and you won't be notified.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Unfortunately for some strange reason, DHL On Demand doesn't get the info from Selfridges and therefore isn't able to text or email customers with purchases from here. Any other company from any other country, I always get a message from DHL with details but not from a purchase made at Selfridges. It has to do apparently with the way personal info is entered on the Selfridges website, specifically phone numbers that don't match the way that they are entered on the DHL website when one signs up for info. That's why a phone call to DHL is necessary as your purchase won't show up automatically on DHL and you won't be notified.
    Oh okay, I understand now. Thanks for clarifying, I’ll be sure to call then.

I also may have found out the reason Selfridges hasn’t contacted me since I first placed my order. Citibank, and it’s frustratingly arbitrary fraud detection department, decided to freeze my card after I placed my order with them. I tried using my card today and nothing was working. Never mind the fact that I purchase fragrances at least once a month and occasionally from overseas merchants...I don’t know why they decided this particular instance was fraud. Anyway, it looks like I’ll have to place it all over again.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Buysblind; 29th December 2019 at 09:14 PM.

Well, it turns out everything must have gone through because I got an email this morning telling me my order "has left the building." But you're right, there's absolutely no tracking information regarding the order when I look `in my account at Selfridges. I'll certainly call DHL in a couple of days to get the tracking number.

Last update since I'm basically talking to myself at this point, but I just want to leave an accurate impression of my overall experience.

My Selfridges order arrived today, so all in all, about 10 days (during the holiday) from the beginning of my order to delivery, which is fine with me considering the weekend, plus new year's eve and day, and the general holiday high volume rush.

Everything was packed nicely and DHL even ended up texting me ahead of time with delivery updates, so in the end, the info from Selfridges to DHL went through without me having to do anything.

All in all, I have no complaints whatsoever. They didn't include samples. They didn't send me a tracking number (but DHL did). Those are the only negatives.

I'd rate the overall experience an "A minus."

Last update since I'm basically talking to myself at this point, but I just want to leave an accurate impression of my overall experience.

My Selfridges order arrived today, so all in all, about 10 days (during the holiday) from the beginning of my order to delivery, which is fine with me considering the weekend, plus new year's eve and day, and the general holiday high volume rush.

Everything was packed nicely and DHL even ended up texting me ahead of time with delivery updates, so in the end, the info from Selfridges to DHL went through without me having to do anything.

All in all, I have no complaints whatsoever. They didn't include samples. They didn't send me a tracking number (but DHL did). Those are the only negatives.

Glad to hear it went well!

Glad to hear it went well!
    Indeed it did.

And thanks for your help too.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

If it is ok to ask this, what did you buy?
    Currently wearing: Style by Martine Micallef

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    If it is ok to ask this, what did you buy?

I bought a special edition 100ml bottle of Roja Dove Elysium Parfum. I absolutely love this fragrance. I was previously only aware of it in a 50ml bottle, owned one, but was constantly lamenting the fact that my bottle was draining super fast. Just watching it disappear from the 50ml bottle was depressing. I sold it off when I had about 40% left. I had always wished that it came in a 100ml bottle, so that it would last me and not vanish so quickly. Lo and behold, it does. I'm not sure how long the special edition 100's have been around, but the second I saw it I had to get it. It's my most expensive purchase to date, but one I'm 100% confident I will use every drop of. I had just sold off a bunch of stuff anyway, so I figured 'why not?'

The bottle looks extremely similar to the Elysium Parfum Cologne bottle, with a couple minor exceptions. The Parfum Cologne has an all gold cap, and "parfum cologne" written on the front. The Parfum has a black cap and just "Parfum" written on the front. Here's a picture of the special edition 100ml parfum:

And here's a picture of the regular 100ml Parfum Cologne:

Wow...They're even more similar than I thought. Turns out the Parfum Cologne doesn't even say "Parfum Cologne" on the front. They're Completely identical except for the cap.

I bought a special edition 100ml bottle of Roja Dove Elysium Parfum. I absolutely love this fragrance. I was previously only aware of it in a 50ml bottle, owned one, but was constantly lamenting the fact that my bottle was draining super fast. Just watching it disappear from the 50ml bottle was depressing. I sold it off when I had about 40% left. I had always wished that it came in a 100ml bottle, so that it would last me and not vanish so quickly. Lo and behold, it does. I'm not sure how long the special edition 100's have been around, but the second I saw it I had to get it. It's my most expensive purchase to date, but one I'm 100% confident I will use every drop of. I had just sold off a bunch of stuff anyway, so I figured 'why not?'

The bottle looks extremely similar to the Elysium Parfum Cologne bottle, with a couple minor exceptions. The Parfum Cologne has an all gold cap, and "parfum cologne" written on the front. The Parfum has a black cap and just "Parfum" written on the front. Here's a picture of the special edition 100ml parfum:

And here's a picture of the regular 100ml Parfum Cologne:

Wow...They're even more similar than I thought. Turns out the Parfum Cologne doesn't even say "Parfum Cologne" on the front. They're Completely identical except for the cap.
    Congrats! It looks beautiful!

Congrats! It looks beautiful!
    Thank you!

Good to know. Im considering getting carved oud by Thameen from them and also live in the US. Shame they use DHL which isnt the best shipping company in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlative View Post
    Shame they use DHL which isnt the best shipping company in my opinion.
    The good news is once Selfridges actually get it to them it's only 2-3 days delivery to the US depending on where you live.

Just wanted to let you know that Selfridges has enabled/fixed their "Track Now" link directly to DHL, so when you click on it, a person can finally track their order through DHL directly! Long time coming.

It's not working for me currently :-/ Order pops up as dispatched, I received an email as well. The email contained a broken link and the other link on My Orders page says:

Frustrating indeed. I can't believe a company like this can't figure out how to provide a working hyperlink to the shipper. Ridiculous. But, I'll stay patient considering several of you have received your orders. It's a bit annoying though, considering I'm shipping this package to my place of work and we're not her Sat/Sun.

We're sorry, we couldn't find anything to match your search.
    But don't give up, here's some tips to help you find what you're looking for:

- Double check your spelling
    - Check our A-Z Brand Directory
    - Explore our most popular categories below

Just wanted to let you know that Selfridges has enabled/fixed their "Track Now" link directly to DHL, so when you click on it, a person can finally track their order through DHL directly! Long time coming.
    MadHat Scents

Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    It's not working for me currently :-/ Order pops up as dispatched, I received an email as well. The email contained a broken link and the other link on My Orders page says:

Frustrating indeed. I can't believe a company like this can't figure out how to provide a working hyperlink to the shipper. Ridiculous. But, I'll stay patient considering several of you have received your orders. It's a bit annoying though, considering I'm shipping this package to my place of work and we're not her Sat/Sun.

We're sorry, we couldn't find anything to match your search.
    But don't give up, here's some tips to help you find what you're looking for:

- Double check your spelling
    - Check our A-Z Brand Directory
    - Explore our most popular categories below
    Then follow my advice in post #2. It always worked as a work-around solution.

Interesting, this is what I got back when I contacted Selfridges this morning.

--

Dear Redacted Name,

Thank you for your email and for shopping with Selfridges.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the delay in dispatching your order. We always make every effort to deliver your order within the estimated timescales. However delays are occasionally inevitable due to unforeseen factors or events outside our control, for example, material shortages, travel or transportation disruption, import delays or higher-than-anticipated demand. I can inform you that your goods are currently in transit to the United States.

The issue with your order specifically is that perfumery items travelling via air freight have to meet extremely strict guidelines and require a specialist courier to fulfil. We appreciate that this is frustrating however without following this procedure we would not be able to ship perfume internationally.

Unfortunately, tracking details are not currently available, however they will become available once the order has landed in the United States, I will keep an eye on this for you, and as soon as I can see that the tracking is available, I will reach out to you to provide you with the tracking number.

If you have any queries in the meantime, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us and we will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Redacted Name

Then follow my advice in post #2. It always worked as a work-around solution.
    MadHat Scents

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Interesting, this is what I got back when I contacted Selfridges this morning.

--

Dear Redacted Name,

Thank you for your email and for shopping with Selfridges.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the delay in dispatching your order. We always make every effort to deliver your order within the estimated timescales. However delays are occasionally inevitable due to unforeseen factors or events outside our control, for example, material shortages, travel or transportation disruption, import delays or higher-than-anticipated demand. I can inform you that your goods are currently in transit to the United States.

The issue with your order specifically is that perfumery items travelling via air freight have to meet extremely strict guidelines and require a specialist courier to fulfil. We appreciate that this is frustrating however without following this procedure we would not be able to ship perfume internationally.

Unfortunately, tracking details are not currently available, however they will become available once the order has landed in the United States, I will keep an eye on this for you, and as soon as I can see that the tracking is available, I will reach out to you to provide you with the tracking number.

If you have any queries in the meantime, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us and we will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Redacted Name
    Got the same message many months ago. Call DHL, give them your personal info and they will track down the tracking number provided that DHL has physically picked up the package.

Called, person at DHL had no clue what I was talking about. Kept repeating that I need a tracking number. They weren't able to find anything based off of my zip and last name...so I guess I'll call back in a day or so and hope to get a hold of someone else.

Either way, absolutely ridiculous Selfridges can't send a standard DHL link. It's not exactly rocket science to provide a link and say tracking will update in a few days once it hits customs.

Appreciate the help though hednic.

Got the same message many months ago. Call DHL, give them your personal info and they will track down the tracking number provided that DHL has physically picked up the package.
    MadHat Scents

I usually get a text from DHL as soon as it is shipped from Selfridges. My last order was around the holidays . The text is from DHL though . Maybe if you sign up with DHL , that will make it easier to track .
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2- Guerlain Derby
    3- 40 knots by Xerjoff
    4- Bond 9 New York Oud
    5- Mamluk by Xerjoff
    6- Coromandel by Chanel
    7- Back to Black , by Kilian
    8- Chanel 19
    9- Dior Oud Isphahn
    10- Richwood by Xerjoff

Eventually, I received the DHL tracking via text message.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal1973 View Post
    I usually get a text from DHL as soon as it is shipped from Selfridges. My last order was around the holidays . The text is from DHL though . Maybe if you sign up with DHL , that will make it easier to track .
    MadHat Scents

I received an email from Selfridges today.

They are cutting their store opening times I am thinking they may also cut shipping items outside the UK as well?
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Eau de Lavande by Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I received an email from Selfridges today.

They are cutting their store opening times I am thinking they may also cut shipping items outside the UK as well?
    I've seen the email you mention, but they haven't said anything about shipping outside the country:

http://view.mail.selfridges.com/?qs=...3935a8ca163969

An email from Selfridges this morning and they are closing all four stores in the UK. No mention of buying online.

NARS also closing their warehouse.
    DONNA

It sounds what's happening in the US is now gradually happening in the UK. I wonder if Harrods is not too far behind.

Harvey Nichols is now closing their stores.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    An email from Selfridges this morning and they are closing all four stores in the UK. No mention of buying online.

NARS also closing their warehouse.
    They were advertising a code for free delivery on their website last time I looked. Not sure if this is for international deliveries too.

Interesting. I understand the events around the world leading to delays, but so far my experience with Harrods has been kind of... meh... confusion. There was nothing about delays PRIOR to the purchase and the estimated delivery date was given as two different dates (first this coming Saturday, then a day sooner.) Later in the day, Harrods posted a message about delays processing orders and, well, just about everything else under the sun (customs, deliveries, everything OUTSIDE their control) and said they're trying to deliver items now to the USA within 7-10 days, but still refer you to check the estimated delivery date from DHL Express given.

The item is still processing, but I'll doubt it will arrive as soon as originally anticipated - which I don't mind as much considering all the things going on in the world. It's the lack of managing expectations, particularly when paying for express shipping, that leaves me feeling rather meh. There's no justification for charging $42+ for it when the order itself can't be fulfilled and shipped in a timely manner. The notification of the issues AFTER the fact isn't very customer service oriented, either. I guess we'll wait and see... Not bummed that it may arrive later, but I try to plan accordingly in the event I need to be here to receive it.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage