Code of Conduct
o

Default Fragrance recommendations for a sister

I'm looking to purchase a fragrance for my sister as a birthday present. She's a mom of young kids, a little bit "country girl" and she likes florals. I'm trying to hit the designer price-range (say, ~100USD for 100mL). I have some of my own preferences in women's perfumes but I also feel a little conflicted about getting one of those for her. I would like to hear some recommendations from the community. I will be avoiding animalic/musk notes and granny perfumes. I would like to find something that is classic yet contemporary, has a dominant floral chord and maybe somehow captures a bit of that "blue jeans country girl" feel. A tried-and-true designer perfume that hasn't become cliche would be perfect, I'm not looking to purchase some exotic niche perfume that no one has ever heard of before. Thanks!

Default Re: Fragrance recommendations for a sister

Hi,

Any idea of what type of florals she likes or do you know any other perfumes or scents that she enjoys? I grew up in the country, on a farm even, so I feel somewhat qualified to take a stab at this.

I like Twilly d'Hermes. Ginger, tuberose, white florals, woods. Christine Nagel is the perfumer, so you know it's not heavy or cloying. At your price point, too.
    If you can't smell me from six feet away, I'm not wearing enough.

It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Jour d'Hermès by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
    Hi,

Any idea of what type of florals she likes or do you know any other perfumes or scents that she enjoys? I grew up in the country, on a farm even, so I feel somewhat qualified to take a stab at this.
    I'm sure she will enjoy any kind of quality floral but my preferences (which I am guessing she will share since we grew up together) are: (a) florals that create a "rose mixed-bouquet"; not just the rose note, but kind of like sniffing a whole mixed-bouquet with roses at the center, but with other flowers, baby's breath, and greens around it and (b) jasmine / "white florals" that have that almost "translucent" oriental smell that I don't know exactly how to describe (could be incense, but not on overdose). I know that's not the most exact description, but I will favor a rose or jasmine floral over others. I'm sure she would also enjoy a lavender floral but I feel that lavender tends to go more towards the "deodorant" end of the spectrum (just by sheer association, not due to to any flaw in the lavender note itself) whereas rose has that "dressed up to go out" feel, which is what I would like to get her. She will use it for church and occasions like that.

And yes, she lives in the country and they even keep chickens (they have plans to get a goat, but don't have one atm)... lol

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    I like Twilly d'Hermes. Ginger, tuberose, white florals, woods. Christine Nagel is the perfumer, so you know it's not heavy or cloying. At your price point, too.
    Thanks, I will try to get a sniff of this.

Quote Originally Posted by eponymous View Post
    I'm sure she will enjoy any kind of quality floral but my preferences (which I am guessing she will share since we grew up together) are: (a) florals that create a "rose mixed-bouquet"; not just the rose note, but kind of like sniffing a whole mixed-bouquet with roses at the center, but with other flowers, baby's breath, and greens around it and (b) jasmine / "white florals" that have that almost "translucent" oriental smell that I don't know exactly how to describe (could be incense, but not on overdose). I know that's not the most exact description, but I will favor a rose or jasmine floral over others. I'm sure she would also enjoy a lavender floral but I feel that lavender tends to go more towards the "deodorant" end of the spectrum (just by sheer association, not due to to any flaw in the lavender note itself) whereas rose has that "dressed up to go out" feel, which is what I would like to get her. She will use it for church and occasions like that.

And yes, she lives in the country and they even keep chickens (they have plans to get a goat, but don't have one atm)... lol
    Yep, I've had all of those pets. I'm not a big fan of rose, so I feel like my recommendations there might be lacking a bit. Jo Malone Red Roses is one that rose lovers seem to really enjoy and is supposed to smell very natural (the 30 ML would be in your budget, or the 100 ml if you purchased it on the grey market.), Stella by Stella McCartney might be an option. I know you are adverse to lavender, but Mon Guerlain Florale is lovely and has a beautiful jasmine note and is very likable, in my opinion. I sampled a scent by Essential Parfums the other day that I thought was nice, Rose Magnetic, it's around $75 USD, I believe. Anyway, just some ideas, I hope you find something that she loves. You could always give her samples to try or a gift card, or take her shopping and then purchase her favorite as well, just some ideas. Best of luck.

Yep, I've had all of those pets. I'm not a big fan of rose, so I feel like my recommendations there might be lacking a bit. Jo Malone Red Roses is one that rose lovers seem to really enjoy and is supposed to smell very natural (the 30 ML would be in your budget, or the 100 ml if you purchased it on the grey market.), Stella by Stella McCartney might be an option. I know you are adverse to lavender, but Mon Guerlain Florale is lovely and has a beautiful jasmine note and is very likable, in my opinion. I sampled a scent by Essential Parfums the other day that I thought was nice, Rose Magnetic, it's around $75 USD, I believe. Anyway, just some ideas, I hope you find something that she loves. You could always give her samples to try or a gift card, or take her shopping and then purchase her favorite as well, just some ideas. Best of luck.
    Thanks, I will be checking out those recommendations. What would your top suggestion be, regardless of florals, that is, just given the other constraints?

Back off, buddy!

Blog Entries

I don't especially like rose perfumes, but I'm crazy for Fragonard Rose de Mai. My sheep-, chicken-, peacock-, llama-owning friend loves it, too. It's fresh and cheery, and the price is more than reasonable.

Top notes: essence of rose, gardenia, violet
    Heart notes: jasmine, lily of the valley, ylang ylang
    Base notes: blackcurrant leaves
    I don't want to. I don't have to. You can't make me. I'M RETIRED.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I don't especially like rose perfumes, but I'm crazy for Fragonard Rose de Mai. My sheep-, chicken-, peacock-, llama-owning friend loves it, too. It's fresh and cheery, and the price is more than reasonable.

This sounds like it could be a winner... added to my must-sample list...

Thanks, I will be checking out those recommendations. What would your top suggestion be, regardless of florals, that is, just given the other constraints?
    Mon Guerlain Florale. It smells very happy to me and is a versatile scent.

Mon Guerlain Florale. It smells very happy to me and is a versatile scent.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

Stella by Stella McCartney is a great suggestion; smells just like a rose garden along with hints of earth & woods. l think it would work well on an outdoorsy girl like your sister.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Stella by Stella McCartney is a great suggestion; smells just like a rose garden along with hints of earth & woods. l think it would work well on an outdoorsy girl like your sister.
    Awesome, definitely going to check this one out.

Guerlain Idylle
    L'Occitane Herbae
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Possibly also, in no particular order:

- Versace Red and/or Blue Jeans (minus the vanilla and sandalwood notes towards their bases perhaps) as casual choices of great style and versatility while remaining fairly sporty, relaxed, solar and everyday, even office appropriate,

- most of the Green Tea line by Elizabeth Arden is also highly serene, uplifting, clean, fresh, while not breaking the bank, in the more pricey but still good to great value for money categories,

- anything from Herbae by l'Occitane and Regine dei Prati by l'Erbolario to Dior Escale a Portofino, Chanel Cristalle might also be worth considering

- should she also prefer EDP levels of quality and performance but with a discreet, fresh projection more akin to an EDC or Eau fraiche, almost every feminine and/or unisex fragrance from bargain (yet still good quality) Provencale French house Panier des Sens might be worth (re) testing and/or considering as well

- also from l'Occitane, but following a concept slightly different from the aforementioned while remaining on budget, especially Rhubarbe Pamplemousse in particular and the Pierre erme limited edition range in general

- l'Eau par Kenzo but also Parfum d'Ete by the same house

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Possibly also, in no particular order:

- Versace Red and/or Blue Jeans (minus the vanilla and sandalwood notes towards their bases perhaps) as casual choices of great style and versatility while remaining fairly sporty, relaxed, solar and everyday, even office appropriate,

- most of the Green Tea line by Elizabeth Arden is also highly serene, uplifting, clean, fresh, while not breaking the bank, in the more pricey but still good to great value for money categories,

- anything from Herbae by l'Occitane and Regine dei Prati by l'Erbolario to Dior Escale a Portofino, Chanel Cristalle might also be worth considering

- should she also prefer EDP levels of quality and performance but with a discreet, fresh projection more akin to an EDC or Eau fraiche, almost every feminine and/or unisex fragrance from bargain (yet still good quality) Provencale French house Panier des Sens might be worth (re) testing and/or considering as well

- also from l'Occitane, but following a concept slightly different from the aforementioned while remaining on budget, especially Rhubarbe Pamplemousse in particular and the Pierre erme limited edition range in general

- l'Eau par Kenzo but also Parfum d'Ete by the same house
    Wow, thanks for this list. Will check it out.

Basenotes Plus

Both Stella and EA’s Green Tea are both excellent suggestions.

This will sound a bit dopey, but when you described your sister, the first fragrance that came to mind was Something Blue by Oscar de la Renta. It’s marketed as a ‘wedding scent’ but it always struck me as ’country-girl charming’.

Hermès Rose Amazone.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

When’s her birthday? Are we still doing this?

Some ideas I have for your sister:

-Cristalle Eau Verte (fresh green magnolia— order from Chanel, Bloomingdale’s, Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus)
    -Chloe EDP, EDT, or Roses de Chloe (sheer, pretty mixed florals— try Sephora)
    -Gucci Bloom Nettare Di Fiori (Gucci Bloom line are opaque tuberose and jasmine based— my favorite is Acqua di Fiori— the green— at Ulta/Sephora)
    -Michael Kors perfume (sheer tuberose)
    -Prada La Femme (frangipani and ylang ylang with a clean laundry base)
    -Jo Malone Honeysuckle & Davana (pricier per ml than you want, but they do sell 30 ml sizes under $100)
    -The Aerin line — these are pricier than you want, but lots of interesting florals
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

This sounds awesome. I might need a Fragonard discovery set.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    When’s her birthday? Are we still doing this?

Some ideas I have for your sister:

-Cristalle Eau Verte (fresh green magnolia— order from Chanel, Bloomingdale’s, Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus)
    -Chloe EDP, EDT, or Roses de Chloe (sheer, pretty mixed florals— try Sephora)
    -Gucci Bloom Nettare Di Fiori (Gucci Bloom line are opaque tuberose and jasmine based— my favorite is Acqua di Fiori— the green— at Ulta/Sephora)
    -Michael Kors perfume (sheer tuberose)
    -Prada La Femme (frangipani and ylang ylang with a clean laundry base)
    -Jo Malone Honeysuckle & Davana (pricier per ml than you want, but they do sell 30 ml sizes under $100)
    -The Aerin line — these are pricier than you want, but lots of interesting florals
    Thank you for all the suggestions (and keep 'em coming, not all of this stuff is easy to find... *sigh) Her birthday is beginning of Feb, so I still have a few weeks. My goal is to order a raft of samples within a week or so, select, then buy. The timing might be tight but I think I can make it. The current obstacle is that fragrance sample sites seem to be rather arbitrary in which specific fragrances they carry.

Thank you for all the suggestions (and keep 'em coming, not all of this stuff is easy to find...The current obstacle is that fragrance sample sites seem to be rather arbitrary in which specific fragrances they carry.
    Don’t I know it!

Hey, does she like gardenias? Elizabeth Taylor’s Gardenia is an inexpensive one that’s fairly accurate and very pretty. I smelled it at TJ Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Don’t I know it!

Hey, does she like gardenias? Elizabeth Taylor’s Gardenia is an inexpensive one that’s fairly accurate and very pretty. I smelled it at TJ Maxx.
    Added to my list.

So many great recommendations in this thread. Some of them I'm planning to sample at local department stores (depending on availability), but here's a raft of samples I just sent out for, based on thread recommendations and other reviews:

Stella McCartney Stella Eau de Parfum
    Oscar de la Renta Something Blue
    Hermes Twilly d'Hermes
    Chloe EDP (new version - 2008)
    Dior Pure Poison EDP
    Guerlain Shalimar EDP (this one I ordered mainly for myself... I don't expect I'll buy it for her, but it's such a classic I would like to know what it smells like)

I might send off for another raft of samples if I don't choose one of these.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I think she may like Chloe or Dior Blooming Bouquet. Also possibly Narciso Rodriguez Fleur Musc- not an animalic type musk; centered around rose and peony.

Update:

I got the samples a few days ago. I saw my sister today and had her try them. I figured she would select Something Blue by Oscar de la Renta ... and she did. I was careful not to indicate what I thought she would prefer. With more than a week until her birthday, it will be no sweat to get it delivered in time!

Here's a rundown of my own reactions to the perfume samples:

Stella McCartney Stella Eau de Parfum

There's a funk in this perfume that I just can't get on board with. All in all, the perfume has a slightly overboard feeling, it is in danger of going into red-light district stereotypes. Just my opinion, of course. I can see why some people would like it, I just don't.

Oscar de la Renta Something Blue

Just as described. A big bouquet of roses and white florals. A very delicate fougere background that is more stem than leaf, not masculine or earthy, smells just like the stems in a bouquet.

Hermes Twilly d'Hermes

I lack the vocabulary to accurately describe this. Definitely floral, ever so slightly powdery. Has a very subdued sweetness that gives it some body but nowhere near gourmand territory. I like the fragrance just as well as Something Blue but I think Twilly would stay interesting for longer. I mean, Something Blue is a bit of a one-trick pony, whereas Twilly seems to have a little more dimensionality to it so that you won't get bored of it by the time you get to the end of a bottle.

Chloe EDP

Very floral. Slightly medicinal in the opening which gives it a shampoo feeling. Overall, seems more targeted to teens or younger adults.

Dior Pure Poison EDP

Beautiful floral with that Dior DNA. Reminds me of J'adore l'Absolu (a favorite of mine... on her, of course) but without the pear note. All in all, this would be my favorite in the bunch.

Guerlain Shalimar EDP

Not sure what all the excitement is about. Reform'd? Anyway, just seems like a sweet, ambery, powdery gourmand without a lot of personality. It has a slight funk but it's not an overload and there's nothing objectionable in it. A little puzzled by all the hype, to be honest.