Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
o

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    After a couple of weeks of delay, my decant of Guerlain Derby upgraded to an Eagle bottle:
    Attachment 117055
    Great purchase!

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I've heard this to be animalic - the mid phase sounds very promising...
    That would be the castoreum, and sexy as hell it is.. I also detect an aroma kinda like ripe fruit in the first part that is very well done and so well blended and, frankly, ads to the overall deliciousness of this fragrance.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    After a couple of weeks of delay, my decant of Guerlain Derby upgraded to an Eagle bottle:
    Attachment 117055
    I was expecting this. Enjoy it.

Bought one online thanks to an online friend and somehow, this is following me - went to a local perfume store and I see this again, put away on the inside, bottom most shelf. Had to buy it too...

Attachment 116974
    Lucky man. Twice in a row! Enjoy this beauty!

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    I was expecting this. Enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    Great purchase!
    Thanks. It was suppose to have arrived around the holidays but the seller came down sick so it was put off a few weeks.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus Sport by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Lucky man. Twice in a row! Enjoy this beauty!
    Sometimes, your search ends up well; just that it's ended well twice. I tested the juice and it's vintage gasoline Fahrenheit at it's best...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Sometimes, your search ends up well; just that it's ended well twice. I tested the juice and it's vintage gasoline Fahrenheit at it's best...
    Yes, it is. I have had the chance to smell one of those myself and it was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    How?! I probably scoured darn near every listing on eBay. Unless you got it somewhere else. Haha. Grats - under the radar stuff!
    A fella on Ebay was selling 8 x 0.5oz bottles of these for a great price. Ended up dumping them into a generic 4oz bottle. Great fragrance and totally worth the price.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by psawjack View Post
    A fella on Ebay was selling 8 x 0.5oz bottles of these for a great price. Ended up dumping them into a generic 4oz bottle. Great fragrance and totally worth the price.
    I'd been thinking about doing the same, but decided I already have enough. Glad to see it was "one of us" who grabbed it.

Basenotes Plus

I got my Bowling Greene in recently so I thought I'd post the pic.

bowling green jacqueline cochran.jpg

This one is really good. I can't believe how good. Very complex dry...I get a good quality patchouli, moss, pine...it is really quite quite good.

My question is, how good are more recent ones? They are available super cheap on eBay.

Seems:

Jacqueline Cochran
    Sanofi
    EA

which are decent?
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by psawjack View Post

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
    Ah yeah, I maybe saw them, but I was wondering how thrilled managed to snag a 2oz spray full pres one - I'm partial to sprays. The little half ounces can be tempting too. Good stuff!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: 1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I got my Bowling Greene in recently so I thought I'd post the pic.

bowling green jacqueline cochran.jpg

This one is really good. I can't believe how good. Very complex dry...I get a good quality patchouli, moss, pine...it is really quite quite good.

My question is, how good are more recent ones? They are available super cheap on eBay.

Seems:

Jacqueline Cochran
    Sanofi
    EA

which are decent?
    Congrats, TC! I only have the current one and like it a lot. The opening is loud and can be a little harsh, BUT as long as you don't over-apply, you're good. All in all I think it's very very good and the performance is outstanding.
    I would imagine the Cochrans and Sanofis being creamier and mossier. I own a scarsely used 2015 EA-made GF that smells incredible after having macerated and matured a few years on the shelf and is very close to my Sanofi bottle, so I'd imagine the BG will get better as well.
    And though I can't compare current BG to vintage (yet), I'll definately recommend getting it. For comparisons sake, if nothing else
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Congrats, TC! I only have the current one and like it a lot. The opening is loud and can be a little harsh, BUT as long as you don't over-apply, you're good. All in all I think it's very very good and the performance is outstanding.
    I would imagine the Cochrans and Sanofis being creamier and mossier. I own a scarsely used 2015 EA-made GF that smells incredible after having macerated and matured a few years on the shelf and is very close to my Sanofi bottle, so I'd imagine the BG will get better as well.
    And though I can't compare current BG to vintage (yet), I'll definately recommend getting it. For comparisons sake, if nothing else
    I just did. It’s cheap enough. Great value.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Krizia Moods Uomo is terrific, and you can find it at a decent price. The original Krizia Uomo is also excellent.
    Yup. just a lovely scent, cant go wrong with it really

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post

Seems:

Jacqueline Cochran
    Sanofi
    EA

which are decent?
    I avoid EA in general, because the reformulations tend to be pretty dire. Cochran is your best bet, but Sanofi should be fine.

Basenotes Plus

I avoid EA in general, because the reformulations tend to be pretty dire. Cochran is your best bet, but Sanofi should be fine.
    thank you!

I don't have a reference point for comparison, but I received an EA as a Christmas present and I do really enjoy it. The notes are clearly identifiable and have a ton of fizz.

Also - finally purchased Rive Gauche Pour Homme today Should be arriving by early next week.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    I don't have a reference point for comparison, but I received an EA as a Christmas present and I do really enjoy it. The notes are clearly identifiable and have a ton of fizz.
    That's good to hear. As far as I'm concerned, EA destroyed Grey Flannel, though not everyone agrees. Did its version have fizz? In abundance. Alas, it came at a cost to my nose hairs. But perhaps EA left well enough alone with the Bowling Green formula.

That's good to hear. As far as I'm concerned, EA destroyed Grey Flannel, though not everyone agrees. Did its version have fizz? In abundance. Alas, it came at a cost to my nose hairs. But perhaps EA left well enough alone with the Bowling Green formula.
    Oooofffdaaa I have an EA Grey Flannel on order.

How did the harshness come across, if you don't mind me asking? Was it over dry citrus, or the green elements being too punchy?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    How did the harshness come across, if you don't mind me asking? Was it over dry citrus, or the green elements being too punchy?
    I don't mind you asking, but I'm not sure I can offer a good description. It's just a very sharp opening that has nothing to do with citrus and isn't a shade of green found in nature. It does bear some resemblance to the original GF's violet leaf accord, but in a sort of cartoon exaggerated form. The original has curves: the reformulation is all angles.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

I don't mind you asking, but I'm not sure I can offer a good description. It's just a very sharp opening that has nothing to do with citrus and isn't a shade of green found in nature. It does bear some resemblance to the original GF's violet leaf accord, but in a sort of cartoon exaggerated form. The original has curves: the reformulation is all angles.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
    That’s actually given me a great mental picture I do love a good violet leaf, so I shall probably hunt down an older formulation for reference in future.

Having said that, I absolutely loved the nasal hair searing, violent yuzu synth-freshness of L’eau D’Issey (pre reformulation), so EA Grey Flannel could still be a keeper.