Code of Conduct
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23
o
    Basenotes Member

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today - 2020

So it turns out that old Devin is not for me. One of the few vintages I have that I wouldn't buy again.
    Another miss followed soon after.

20200224-1.jpg

I've read conflicting things about this one. I should have listened to the reviews discouraging the readers from buying the Florence-version. It starts off well enough as an eighties powerhouse masculine, woody, spicy and smoky. There's a funky, sweaty side to it that reminds me of Eau d'Hermès (and which makes me think of cumin, though I'm not sure it's in there), but the composition somehow loses coherence after a while and turns weird. I don't think I'll be wearing this one either.

I could have let this be a lession to me not to buy reformulations and go seek out the older vintages instead, but I didn't...
    I've been wearing Trophée a couple of times now and I quite like it. Worn on clothing, it's surprisingly long lasting, but still manages not to stand out. Some might consider it boring, but I feel really comfortable wearing it, and so, because I only have a 50 ml bottle, I went looking for a back-up. I couldn't find an older one at a good price, so instead I zeroed in on a 20th anniversary edition from 2002, still sealed and in near pristine condition. I had some qualms, though, concerning the quality of the reformulation. I searched the net, but couldn't find any review that compared the old version with the newer one.

20200224-2.jpg

I ended up buying it anyway - and I don't regret it. It's drier and more crisp than the original version and lacks some of its warmth, but it's still a quality juice that I'll be happy to wear on a rotating basis to reduce consumption of the smaller, more precious vintage bottle.
    Last edited by Alex F.; 24th February 2020 at 09:48 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Curiosity got the best of me:

Futur.jpg

The seller accepted my return on the last batch of evaporated minis. That covered the purchase of some I could see in advance:

VintageMinis1.jpg
    VintageMinis2.jpg
    VintageMinis3.jpg
    5PdP.jpg
    Currently wearing: Emir by Dana

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Chloé (Parfums Lagerfeld, 1975)

This is powerful stuff. I'd known about Chloé for years but had never smelled it. This is an early edition, apparently (frosted glass, "Parfums Lagerfeld" as opposed to "Parfums Chloé"). The person who wears Chloé better like peach -- a lot.

Currently wearing: Givenchy III by Givenchy

All Is Beautiful

Attachment 119799

I am loving this one, just loving it. Thank you to those who recommended it. I mistakenly first bought the reformulation which is just garbage. This real thing is beautiful.

The Other Site says:

Top notes are green leaves, fruity notes, clary sage, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, sandalwood, cinnamon, jasmine, cedar, rose and geranium; base notes are labdanum, leather, tonka bean, musk, civet, oakmoss, vanilla and myrrh.

Seems about right. I love the geranium and carnation and sandalwood heart here -- it is truly beautiful.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I am loving this one, just loving it. Thank you to those who recommended it. I mistakenly first bought the reformulation which is just garbage. This real thing is beautiful.
    I'm glad you hunted it down. Vintage Monsieur Lanvin Vetyver is one of my favorites. It's for vetiver romanticists rather than vetiver purists, but I'll bet it could sway a few purists as well.

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I'm glad you hunted it down. Vintage Monsieur Lanvin Vetyver is one of my favorites. It's for vetiver romanticists rather than vetiver purists, but I'll bet it could sway a few purists as well.
    Strangely it’s not particularly vetiver-forward, but rather vetiver is one component of the heart notes with blending that is sublime.

Basenotes Member

(Monsieur Lanvin Vetyver)
    Monsieur Lanvin and its flanker seem to be quite popular around here. All the offers I've seen so far are too expensive for me, so I'll have to bide my time until the right one comes around. But for me, a part - albeit of course a smaller one - of the vintage experience is taking a look at the vintage advertisements. You can make a small cultural study of it. Often, the photography isn't bad. It's also interesting to see what kind of image or emotions the marketers tried to connect to the fragrance. Slogans can be funny and/or provocative and more often than not show how sensitivities have changed.
    So, for the time being, I'll have to make do with looking at the adverts for Monsieur Lanvin. Like the first one in the right column on that other site. The text translates roughly as:
    Women are fearsome. Get someone to accompany you : Monsieur Lanvin. The loveliest of chaperones. Persuasive and always in shape. From morning to the small hours of dawn.
    Last edited by Alex F.; Yesterday at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    Chloé (Parfums Lagerfeld, 1975)

This is powerful stuff. I'd known about Chloé for years but had never smelled it. This is an early edition, apparently (frosted glass, "Parfums Lagerfeld" as opposed to "Parfums Chloé"). The person who wears Chloé better like peach -- a lot.

So I wonder how that EDT compares to this parfum -
    09055485-3EBB-40ED-9C85-45D255A8C557.jpg
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Imprévu by Coty

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
    Monsieur Lanvin and its flanker seem to be quite popular around here. All the offers I've seen so far are too expensive for me, so I'll have to bide my time until the right one comes around. But for me, a part - albeit of course a smaller one - of the vintage experience is taking a look at the vintage advertisements. You can make a small cultural study of it. Often, the photography isn't bad. It's also interesting to see what kind of image or emotions the marketers tried to connect to the fragrance. Slogans can be funny and/or provocative and more often than not show how sensitivities have changed.
    So, for the time being, I'll have to make do with looking at the adverts for Monsieur Lanvin. Like the first one in the right column on that other site. The text translates roughly as:
    Women are fearsome. Have someone accompany you : Monsieur Lanvin. The lovliest of chaperones. Persuasive and always in shape. From morning to the small hours of dawn.
    thank you for that lovely translation. These ads were works of art. I think one of them (at least) offered a copy of the ad as a poster for $1 (pretty good money at the time).

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
    Women are fearsome. Get someone to accompany you : Monsieur Lanvin. The loveliest of chaperones. Persuasive and always in shape. From morning to the small hours of dawn.
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Monsieur Lanvin Vetyver is one of my favorites. It's for vetiver romanticists rather than vetiver purists, but I'll bet it could sway a few purists as well.
    Strangely it’s not particularly vetiver-forward, but rather vetiver is one component of the heart notes with blending that is sublime.
    Yes, it's never going to replace my vintage Guerlain or Carven vetivers, but it stakes out its own sublime territory.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    So I wonder how that EDT compares to this parfum -
    09055485-3EBB-40ED-9C85-45D255A8C557.jpg
    I wonder. Do you have it? I really like the design of the parfum bottle.

Having never smelled another example of Chloe, I can't speak to how well my bottle has borne the years (40 or so, I assume). What I can say is that it doesn't smell off in any way.

Basenotes Plus

Had a slight windfall, I was feeling a tad giddy, then somebody offered me a discount, so…

CDR.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Had a slight windfall, I was feeling a tad giddy, then somebody offered me a discount, so…

CDR.jpg
    I'll be interested in your thoughts!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Thirty-three by Ex Idolo

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    I'll be interested in your thoughts!
    My wife says she would be, too, as she's never known me to have any before.

Basenotes Plus

My wife says she would be, too, as she's never known me to have any before.
    LOL.

That's certainly the safe spot, unless you have the right answer.
    Particularly when it comes to purses, clothing, hairdos......
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Thirty-three by Ex Idolo

Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    I wonder. Do you have it? I really like the design of the parfum bottle.

Having never smelled another example of Chloe, I can't speak to how well my bottle has borne the years (40 or so, I assume). What I can say is that it doesn't smell off in any way.
    I do have it. Some of us discussed it during a recent sample sync here - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...=1#post4820159
    Happy to send you some if you’d like.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Imprévu by Coty

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    That's certainly the safe spot, unless you have the right answer.
    Particularly when it comes to purses, clothing, hairdos......
    Oh, I have the right answer to those. “That looks great. Of course you can have it.”

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    I do have it. Some of us discussed it during a recent sample sync here - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...=1#post4820159
    Happy to send you some if you’d like.
    Thanks, I was not following that thread. Not much mention of the peach, which surprises me.
    I really appreciate the offer of a sample, but I'm afraid shipping costs would be prohibitive. Maybe we can trade samples at some point, though.