Code of Conduct
Page 26 of 56 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast
    Heaven's made of oakmoss

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today - 2020

Antaeus PH EdT 50ml, full. Batch 14U. And Alain Delon EdT 125ml tester.
    Got the Antaeus for a song and Seller threw in the AD for an additional 15 bucks.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Got the Antaeus for a song and Seller threw in the AD for an additional 15 bucks.
    Congrats on your recent acquisitions, particularly Antaeus. Enjoy in good health
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Nice. That Antaeus looks like an early one.

I've been wondering when the words "eau de toilette" migrated from the back of the bottles to the front. Does anyone know, in general terms?

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Congrats on your recent acquisitions, particularly Antaeus. Enjoy in good health
    Thanks so much, NCAL! Never tried AD but it was to good a deal to pass up.
    Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post

I've been wondering when the words "eau de toilette" migrated from the back of the bottles to the front. Does anyone know, in general terms?
    They weren't always on the front? I just thought it was part of a set or airline-kit or something

How's AD Classic? I only know PLUS version, not bad, not bad. Maybe I'll get a bottle in the future...for both...
    One person's craziness is other person's reality !

Dependent
    Blog Entries

They weren't always on the front? I just thought it was part of a set or airline-kit or something
    I think Antaeus bottles were the only ones like that. I remember reading here that on the early bottles, the concentration (edt or after shave) was on the back. It would be nice to know when the change took place.

The 14U batch code is another clue that yours is an early bottle. From what I gather, that coding scheme (number-number-letter) was only in use for a few years, starting in around 1979.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

"Eau de Toilette" on the back is from the original release, I believe. I'm not sure when it changed. The web page where I found this ad said it's from December 1982.

c63ea755bf316b7417c1c34176125721.jpg

All Is Beautiful

could you imagine someone in the designer space coming out with Antaeus today?

I can't.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post

I can't.
    Even among the fragrances of that time, Antaeus (and Sport) had something a little extra in the opening, I think. Jules can be a close substitute in some ways - I've come to confuse them with each other in my mind, although I thought Jules was way different at first.

The mid and base of Antaeus and Bel Ami can be a lot alike.

I wish there was stuff exactly like this coming out now. The current versions of these are still some of the best options. Some reformulated classics are getting better (Equipage, Chanel Pour Monsieur edt) - so maybe something like vintage Antaeus will come back again.

I have a Warner/Cosmair coming in the mail Thursday.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Always be smelling

I can't.
    I think the issue is the demand here.
    Who would really want the old Antaeus back?
    Maybe us but I doubt there will be a huge demand.
    I mean they canned Dior Homme for something more mass appealing.

Only hope IMO is bringing these classics back as Prive collection or some small indie house.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

Heaven's made of oakmoss

The 14U batch code is another clue that yours is an early bottle. From what I gather, that coding scheme (number-number-letter) was only in use for a few years, starting in around 1979.
    Awesome info, thanks! I did think it was an odd code when I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    "Eau de Toilette" on the back is from the original release, I believe. I'm not sure when it changed. The web page where I found this ad said it's from December 1982.

c63ea755bf316b7417c1c34176125721.jpg
    Holy crap... It IS an early bottle, then. For less than 35 bucks that was an insane stroke of luck, I can't believe.. Priceless info and beautiful ad, thanks Bavard!

The current versions of these are still some of the best options. Some reformulated classics are getting better (Equipage, Chanel Pour Monsieur edt) - so maybe something like vintage Antaeus will come back again.
    Music to my ears! Fantastic to know that (some) re-forms are back on track. I've read several places that it is also the case with the recent Givenchy Gentleman 'Originale' and also Moustache 'Originale 1949'? Maybe these 'Originale' series are a new improved trend..

Basenotes Plus

I've read several places that it is also the case with the recent Givenchy Gentleman 'Originale' and also Moustache 'Originale 1949'? Maybe these 'Originale' series are a new improved trend..
    I love that new Moustache EDT 'Original 1949'. I bought it to give to the boyfriend but now I'm gonna keep it for a summer citrus.

Basenotes Plus

BaV.jpg

Bal ŕ Versailles EdC, prompted by the Vintage Swap & Sync.

Lenel.jpg

Lenel for Men, reputedly Elvis Presley's first signature scent.

Basenotes Plus

Gauloise.jpg

Molyneux Gauloise EdT.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Gauloise.jpg

Molyneux Gauloise EdT.
    Always wondered about this one. Lemme know what yo think when you get it please.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

Dependent
    Blog Entries

"Eau de Toilette" on the back is from the original release, I believe. I'm not sure when it changed. The web page where I found this ad said it's from December 1982.c63ea755bf316b7417c1c34176125721.jpg
    Holy crap... It IS an early bottle, then. For less than 35 bucks that was an insane stroke of luck, I can't believe.. Priceless info and beautiful ad, thanks Bavard!

And it's possible that the change had already happened by December 1982. That is to say, we don't know when the ad was actually produced.

I don't know how much the scent itself changed during the '80s, if at all. But if you're like me, knowing you have an early bottle does bring that slight bit of extra satisfaction.

All Is Beautiful

And it's possible that the change had already happened by December 1982. That is to say, we don't know when the ad was actually produced.

I don't know how much the scent itself changed during the '80s, if at all. But if you're like me, knowing you have an early bottle does bring that slight bit of extra satisfaction.
    Yes I agree!
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

I agree they could have made changes even before the ad. There's enough mystery to Chanel batch coding - such as (sometimes?) repeating codes every few years, and packaging - I can't pin down some of my bottles very well, at all, but I can tell when they're good.

It's nice having serious fans of vintage men's Chanel around.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Always wondered about this one. Lemme know what you think when you get it please.
    Sure, I'll be happy to let everyone know my thoughts once I have some!

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Yes I agree!
    I'm sure we're not alone. And it doesn't have to make sense.

I agree they could have made changes even before the ad. There's enough mystery to Chanel batch coding - such as (sometimes?) repeating codes every few years, and packaging - I can't pin down some of my bottles very well, at all, but I can tell when they're good.

Hear, hear. It's fun to speculate about when they were produced, but what really matters is how they smell.

I've been curious about that myself. If it's even possible and worth the trouble of resource and time, to do side to side comparisons between different bottles throughout the 80s.

Part of me still wants to sample the original release from 1981 even though I own a bottle of from 1983 and a decant from 1982.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I've been curious about that myself. If it's even possible and worth the trouble of resource and time, to do side to side comparisons between different bottles throughout the 80s.

Part of me still wants to sample the original release from 1981 even though I own a bottle of from 1983 and a decant from 1982.
    Aaand do you feel something between them? Like any minimal / major difference(s)?

Dependent
    Blog Entries

It's funny how that works, isn't it?
    I have two bottles of the original and one of Antaeus Sport. One bottle of the original dates to the early '90s, the other is a mystery (see below). The Sport Cologne is likely the oldest of the three, and that scent wasn't released until 1986, if I remember correctly.

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today - 2020

bel ami 1.jpg

50ml Aftershave

As I've been leaning a little hard on my 100ml. This winter.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Deleanu View Post
    Aaand do you feel something between them? Like any minimal / major difference(s)?
    Between the 1982 and 1983 juice they have the same performance I didn't detect anything substantial differences. I also have a bottle from the early 90s and it's certainly lacks the strength found in the early 80's bottles. I would go as much to say the 90's bottle is comparable to my Antaeus Sport bottle although the later lacks the animalic nature. From my perspective, the 80's Antaeus is quite versatile. I'm currently using it in my regular rotation for the office settings, knock on wood.

It's funny how that works, isn't it?
    I have two bottles of the original and one of Antaeus Sport. One bottle of the original dates to the early '90s, the other is a mystery (see below). The Sport Cologne is likely the oldest of the three, and that scent wasn't released until 1986, if I remember correctly.

Debunking the timeline of the Chanel labels/stickers would be a start if that's even possible. To my knowledge, stickers existed in the late 80s and early 90s as evidence of my 1991 Egoiste EDT splash and 1988/9 Pour Monsieur Concentree tester.
    Attachment 120155

Between the 1982 and 1983 juice they have the same performance I didn't detect anything substantial differences. I also have a bottle from the early 90s and it's certainly lacks the strength found in the early 80's bottles. I would go as much to say the 90's bottle is comparable to my Antaeus Sport bottle although the later lacks the animalic nature. From my perspective, the 80's Antaeus is quite versatile. I'm currently using it in my regular rotation for the office settings, knock on wood.
    So only 80-90s Antaeus is the way to go? Only EdT above CHANEL. Splash or spray...

Quote Originally Posted by Deleanu View Post
    So only 80-90s Antaeus is the way to go? Only EdT above CHANEL. Splash or spray...
    I would certainly prioritize the EDT above Chanel bottles, however not all bottles will have the EDT in the front they could be listed in the back too. Sprayers are preferable over the splash but either will do. If the box does come with the bottle, you have a better chance to narrow down the year that it was from. I believe the 1980s are the way to go if you want the best experience from Antaeus. I personally am not in favor of any latter or modern formulations of Antaeus.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Mystery indeed. Men's Chanel has definately grown on me these last few months, for sure!
    Here's a shot at the bottom:

Page 26 of 56 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast