Code of Conduct
Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1631
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    I have Nahema in the PdT formulation and recommend it. One of Guerlain's all stars.
    Thank you for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by DrTricia View Post
    Trying out Nahema today. Not sure how this will go. Any Nahema heads in here?
    I’ve got a couple of the teeny 1ml bottles of extrait and I love it.
    Haven’t tried the PDT but see it gets good recommendations.

I love your description of fragrance as a mood ring.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Oud Palao by Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    An absurdly expensive bottle of the vintage version of Crabtree & Evelyn's Extract of Mysore Sandalwood.

(Now I'll have to sell off a few bottles of other stuff to refill my poor coffers.)

Congratulations, Starblind! That is a very nice acquisition.
    I’m very miserly in my use of a 3ML sample I have, but I just love the sandalwood and sometimes nothing else will do.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    A set of 50's Lanier nips so I can follow Grayspoole's Chronicle.

I am wearing a particularly beautiful Oil rendition of Tabac Blond. There is a whisper of Ambergris providing a lift and volume.
    Hooray for the nips set!

That TB oil sounds soooo luxurious.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    I’ve got a couple of the teeny 1ml bottles of extrait and I love it.
    Haven’t tried the PDT but see it gets good recommendations.

I love your description of fragrance as a mood ring.
    Lol, that’s how they seem sometimes. I will hunt for extrait and PDT.

Freed from BN Institution

Hello Starblind. I’m new to BN, but I have enjoyed many of your posts. I fell in love with sandalwood years ago (as a result of collecting fans made of it), and set about finding one that pleased me. I settled on Crabtree & Evelyn’s and always kept a bottle around. I traveled a lot for many years, and I have boxes of stuff all over. My husband’s recent interest in vintage scents led me to go through some boxes looking for old treasures, and I discovered a brand new, huge box of the C&E Mysore Sandalwood. I do not remember when I got it, and had forgotten all about it. When I showed it to Mr. S, he told me that it is very much sought after now. I had no idea. Congrats on finding yours!
    Sandalwood is a note I enjoy. Unfortunately I've not tried C&E Mysore Sandalwood, I'm surprised that I didn't have a decant of it in my stash. I did a quick rummaging around and found a decant of vintage Chanel Bois des Iles EDC, a sample of Fritzsche Bro Sandalwood Oil, and partially filled glass bottle of Creed Bois de Santal. My go to for sandalwood is the original formulation of Egoiste EDT, a nice oriental sandalwood that can be worn all year round in most casual settings.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I am ecstatic to report that the Nahema EDP has blossomed into something incredible. It started out a bit too fruity for me, but, oh, it was marvelous after about an hour and a half. It is the kind of scent that could be overpowering, but it does not ever veer into the sickly sweetness I encountered with Caron’s Parfum Sacré. It goes close to the edge of my tolerance, but upon constant sniffing (I can’t stop), the beautiful balance is confirmed. Must get the vintage extrait now, I think. Not sure when my bottle of EDP was made. I bought it because it was an amazing deal on a refill that fits in one of my refillable cage cases. I figured if I hated it, I could just put in one of the other Guerlain refills that fit the case.

What is it about all of the Guerlains I have begun trials with, that they have such amazing dimension and variety throughout a day’s wear, and even upon different wearings. It’s as if they are mood rings responding to unknown forces, lol. It’s very exciting.
    Do you have a picture of the EDP bottle Nahema? The bottle could be identified generically by the the design. If there's a batch code on the bottom, the year can be identified with the use of Raider's Of the Lost Scent website table - a great resource for identifying batches for a number of houses. Haven't tried Parfum Sacre either.

Any preference for notes from Guerlain? I really enjoy both the chypre and oriental driven scents. Some of my favorite classics include Sous Le Vent, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, and Derby.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Any Avon fans in here? Got a recent haul and wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on them

IMG_1756.jpg

P.S- From some initial testing, I really dig Cordovan!
    Olfactory Museum- trying to immortalize the world of vintage fragrances, one review at a time.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/547692531950738/

The Sheeples Podcast- An attempt to create a virtual 'safe-space' where you can share and build new perspective.
    https://www.thesheeples.in/the-sheeples-podcast

Life is too short for just one signature scent-

1. Azzaro pour Homme (Vintage)
    2. Dior Fahrenheit (Vintage)
    3. Acqua Di Gio (Cosmair)
    4. Tom Ford Amber Absolute

The seller also threw in a bunch of minis that I have never heard of. Anyone in here can shed some light?

IMG_1760.jpg
    Olfactory Museum- trying to immortalize the world of vintage fragrances, one review at a time.

The Sheeples Podcast- An attempt to create a virtual 'safe-space' where you can share and build new perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Sandalwood is a note I enjoy. Unfortunately I've not tried C&E Mysore Sandalwood, I'm surprised that I didn't have a decant of it in my stash. I did a quick rummaging around and found a decant of vintage Chanel Bois des Iles EDC, a sample of Fritzsche Bro Sandalwood Oil, and partially filled glass bottle of Creed Bois de Santal. My go to for sandalwood is the original formulation of Egoiste EDT, a nice oriental sandalwood that can be worn all year round in most casual settings.
    Woah! You have some true sandalwood gems in you collection. Always wondered what the Bois des Iles EDC & the Bois De Santal smelt like. Would love to hear you thoughts on them

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    A set of 50's Lanier nips so I can follow Grayspoole's Chronicle.

I am wearing a particularly beautiful Oil rendition of Tabac Blond. There is a whisper of Ambergris providing a lift and volume.
    Trying to learn to pick up the Ambergris note in compositions. Any tips on what exactly should I be looking for?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    Any Avon fans in here? Got a recent haul and wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on them

It looks like Wild Country, maybe, on the right. There are lots of Avon fans on here. Someone else, maybe Epapsiou, also just got Cordovan.

Basenotes Plus

The seller also threw in a bunch of minis that I have never heard of. Anyone in here can shed some light?
    Zealot Crusader is the resident Avon expert: he can help with those. As for the minis, I have no direct experience of them, but they look like a category of French fragrances that, so far as I know, were only ever sold as miniatures in souvenir boxes, either to tourists or as exports. (Similar looking boxes held minis of the good stuff.) I haven’t heard anything about their quality, but hey, the price was right.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Do you have a picture of the EDP bottle Nahema? The bottle could be identified generically by the the design. If there's a batch code on the bottom, the year can be identified with the use of Raider's Of the Lost Scent website table - a great resource for identifying batches for a number of houses. Haven't tried Parfum Sacre either.

Any preference for notes from Guerlain? I really enjoy both the chypre and oriental driven scents. Some of my favorite classics include Sous Le Vent, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, and Derby.
    I have spent many hours on Raiders. So helpful. It appears my EDP is from 2015. I wonder if the current EDP is the same formulation. I’ll be happy when the pandemic subsides and I can visit the Guerlain counter. I love both of those categories of scents.

I think the one in the Pineapple and probably the one with the studded gold cap could be one of several scents. For example, I'm seeing Unforgettable, Roses Roses, and a few others being offered in the pineapple bottle...Avon is known for these collectible bottles. If these came with boxes they might say. I assume there are no stickers on the bottoms?

Zealot Crusader might be able to offer better guesses, as he is the resident Avon guru.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Woah! You have some true sandalwood gems in you collection. Always wondered what the Bois des Iles EDC & the Bois De Santal smelt like. Would love to hear you thoughts on them
    To me Bois de Santal smells like a smooth Mysore sandalwood with an animalic undertone to it. Bois des Iles is a lighter refreshing sandalwood supported with florals and orientals. Both are nice choices for sandalwood highly recommend sampling both.

^^^ NCal no love for vtg Samsara? Don't see it in your wardrobe...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_1756.jpg

I recognize Tribute, Wild Country, and Cordovan from that lot.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: The Baron by LTL

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    As for the minis, I have no direct experience of them, but they look like a category of French fragrances that, so far as I know, were only ever sold as miniatures in souvenir boxes, either to tourists or as exports. (Similar looking boxes held minis of the good stuff.) I haven’t heard anything about their quality, but hey, the price was right.
    Riviera Parfums were a sort of Brand-X version of the more renowned coffrets produced by "Les Meilleurs Parfums de Paris" in Monaco. Both were, as PStoller says, made for the tourist trade and duty-free shops.

Sound Scents

Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Parfum de Peau by Montana

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Super awesome.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

So curious about Joy. My mother hated it and always complained when she smelled it, so I grew up biased against it. Now, it seems one of the fragrances I have recently fallen for is, perhaps, related. I can’t recall which (Nahema?), but now I feel compelled to at least smell Joy. Any recommendations for certain eras/concentrations to get the best representation of the fragrance would be welcomed.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Gorgeous.
    Thank you, AlanG. It is fitting that you should respond to this. My first encounter with this fragrance was through my music school roommate, who wore this. She was from Lethbridge, Alberta, and here you are from Calgary. At the time, this fragrance was not available in the US, so it was years later when I finally got a bottle of my own. My current survey of vintage fragrances I missed has led me back to some old favorites, and I happened upon this lovely atomizer and couldn’t resist.

Thank you, AlanG. It is fitting that you should respond to this. My first encounter with this fragrance was through my music school roommate, who wore this. She was from Lethbridge, Alberta, and here you are from Calgary. At the time, this fragrance was not available in the US, so it was years later when I finally got a bottle of my own. My current survey of vintage fragrances I missed has led me back to some old favorites, and I happened upon this lovely atomizer and couldn’t resist.
    Great story!
    While I can’t claim to be a native Albertan, the reference is much appreciated.
    That atomizer is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Great story!
    While I can’t claim to be a native Albertan, the reference is much appreciated.
    That atomizer is stunning.
    Oh, and how does it compare to the vintage EdT?
    Purchased this recently for my wife and she loves it....

Basenotes Plus

[wrong thread—oops!]
    Last edited by PStoller; 11th April 2020 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

I remember sampling this one years ago as part of a set of feminine Patou fragrances from an individual here. A very beautiful scent.

All Is Beautiful

was the classic Jean Patou one of the great houses of the past 100 years?
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast