Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today - 2020

Hopefully this counts, yesterday I bought Acqua di Parma Colonia. Older style (square). What's interesting is this one's ingredients goes Alcohol -> Parfum -> Aqua, whereas the newer stuff may go Alcohol->Aqua->Parfum. So I'm assuming the older is higher concentration. 80% vol, so at least 10% parfum? Interesting. Based on batch code and short ingredients list, I'm assuming 1999 - but I could be wrong.

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: 1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Exceptions remain...And I do like BdP although my bottle is about 12 yrs old.
    The vintage BDP is a lot better than what is available now.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Angélique Encens by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    The vintage BDP is a lot better than what is available now.
    Could be - i bought mine around the 12-13 years ago mark, however, doesn't mean the batch was the same year - could be much earlier. With Creed, I bought what I liked and I will save a few for sure - GIT, BdP, Royal (no) Oud etc. But the majority of my fragrances will end up being vtg's...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Very funny this came up, I was just pondering the differences between modern and vintage BdP today. I have both an early 90's bottle, and a recent release. The dry down smells very similar, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. The only place I really notice a difference is in the opening, where the vintage has a much much stronger lavender note (which I love) and the modern is dominated more by bergamot making it less smooth.

Should't the base notes by more different though? I'm told that the vintage stuff used real Mysore sandalwood, whereas the current stuff uses whatever aromachem approximates sandalwood nowadays.
    There are differences.

Original has real bergamot oil, not IFRA-approved vacuum-distilled bergamot (bergamot is restricted).

Original has more oakmoss than current because even with treating it for atranaol, there is still less overall allowed.

Original has real sandalwood, although I wouldn't say purely because even then it was padded out with polysantal because that was the style.

Original has real ambergris and not ambroxan because Creed manufactured in small enough numbers then not to need it.

As for the lavender being stronger? That might just be maceration taking a toll on the bergamot top.

Overall, niche houses like Creed are hit hardest by IFRA because they can afford to use naturals but still can't to the same degree as they'd like if they're wanting approval to sell retail and not just direct like artisanal houses.

Still, modern BdP is a lovely thing. Mine is from 2014 and it smells amazing.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Overall, niche houses like Creed are hit hardest by IFRA because they can afford to use naturals but still can't to the same degree as they'd like if they're wanting approval to sell retail and not just direct like artisanal houses.
    Following IFRA recommendation may protect against potential lawsuits for allergic reactions or so, but is not a legal or commercial requirement. I have the feeling that many expensive houses use that as an excuse to use aromachemical instead of naturals, in order to increase their margins.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Following IFRA recommendation may protect against potential lawsuits for allergic reactions or so, but is not a legal or commercial requirement. I have the feeling that many expensive houses use that as an excuse to use aromachemical instead of naturals, in order to increase their margins.
    It's not unilaterally legal across the globe, but in a lot of places IFRA is more or less law because they broker an acceptable compromise between what the manufacturer lobbies want and what the governing agencies like the EU's SCCS want to outright ban. It's not good enough for us hobbyists of course, but without IFRA, we'd have some overzealous agencies doing far worse. The trickle-down effect here is even countries like the US with far more lax laws on perfume still end up falling in line with IFRA because the perfumes are coming either from IFRA member manufacturers, or are being sold in markets (like the EU) where IFRA guidelines echo legal regulations.

As for your suspicion about luxury houses using IFRA as a scapegoat to cheapen ingredients, that very well may be true, but they'd find another reason all the same (or give no reason at all), if that's what they wanted to do. People like us who dig into this stuff aren't even on their radar as a customer demographic, so they don't care if we figure out they're reformulating to increase margins, because we're on the fringe to them.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

All Is Beautiful

bowling green cochran.jpg

Jaqueline Cochran version - should be from early to mid 80s, to 1988 or so. A blind buy. Sanofi bought it afterwards...
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Member

The new year starts big. Because I quite liked No. 19, I decided I had to get the brand's most famous product as well. I don't usually go for such large bottles, but it was cheaper than most smaller bottles, so I couldn't pass it up. It's 400 ml, barcode but no ingredients list, including a leaflet with info on the Chanel No. 5 product line. The seller told me her mum used to travel to Paris to stock up on XL bottles of her favourite fragrances. She sold the bottle because no one in her family was interested in it. Her daughter decanted some of it into a small dispenser but didn't like it, and she herself preferred sweeter scents.

20200112-1.jpg

It might have been sealed and opened only recently. Still, compared to the other sealed vintages I bought, the box and leaflet are in such a surprisingly good condition that I'm inclined to think it might not be that old. At least not as old as the Raiders blog suggests - no barcode, no ingredients, 4-digit batch-code starting with 37xx => ~1985.

Correction: There is a barcode on the back of the box. So it really isn't that old. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
    The new year starts big. Because I quite liked No. 19, I decided I had to get the brand's most famous product as well. I don't usually go for such large bottles, but it was cheaper than most smaller bottles, so I couldn't pass it up. It's 400 ml, barcode but no ingredients list, including a leaflet with info on the Chanel No. 5 product line. The seller told me her mum used to travel to Paris to stock up on XL bottles of her favourite fragrances. She sold the bottle because no one in her family was interested in it. Her daughter decanted some of it into a small dispenser but didn't like it, and she herself preferred sweeter scents.

20200112-1.jpg

It might have been sealed and opened only recently. Still, compared to the other sealed vintages I bought, the box and leaflet are in such a surprisingly good condition that I'm inclined to think it might not be that old. At least not as old as the Raiders blog suggests - no barcode, no ingredients, 4-digit batch-code starting with 37xx => ~1985.

Correction: There is a barcode on the back of the box. So it really isn't that old. Shame.
    It's still a nice pickup even if it's not as old. Hope you enjoy it
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    3rd Man isn’t half bad in current form, especially in the dry down. But then again I’ve never tried the vintage...
    The dry down of the vintage is really, really nice. This has that nice, old school, masculine barbershop vibe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Jaqueline Cochran version
    Early Bowling Green is a nice pickup, indeed.

Basenotes Plus

Jaqueline Cochran version - should be from early to mid 80s, to 1988 or so. A blind buy. Sanofi bought it afterwards...
    How?! I probably scoured darn near every listing on eBay. Unless you got it somewhere else. Haha. Grats - under the radar stuff!
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Heaven's made of oakmoss

It came out in '86 and Sanofi took over production in '88 (I think), so what you have there is the best of the best. Congrats very much and enjoy!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Always be smelling

Screams Italian goodness
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Genny (original) by Genny

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    It came out in '86 and Sanofi took over production in '88 (I think), so what you have there is the best of the best. Congrats very much and enjoy!
    Thank you.

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Screams Italian goodness
    Congrats. This looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Screams Italian goodness
    I'm looking for this too - anything from the Diana de Silva is worth seeking out. I recently tried the vtg AS - was impressed.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Basenotes Plus

Interesting. So I bought this Acqua di Parma Colonia tester, but I've never seen another bottle shape like it for AdP. Anyone seen one like this before?

It seems to be from ~94 to ~2004 at the latest? I'm not sure. Didn't find much about the '40100 Bologna address' except a little excerpt online.

All Hail King Kouros!

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Interesting. So I bought this Acqua di Parma Colonia tester, but I've never seen another bottle shape like it for AdP. Anyone seen one like this before?

It seems to be from ~94 to ~2004 at the latest? I'm not sure. Didn't find much about the '40100 Bologna address' except a little excerpt online.

Haven't seen this style of tester bottle before. By generic dating, the recycle symbol and barcode would indicate early 90s at the very earliest.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I'm looking for this too - anything from the Diana de Silva is worth seeking out. I recently tried the vtg AS - was impressed.
    YOu tried AS of this?
    I have been trying to describe it but is hard.
    Herbal , leathery, fresher.
    If you look at Darvant's review it is all over the map. And he is right.
    It is not as good as other vintage from this house - Gianfranco ferre for Man but is must have for those who like Italian fragrances of last century
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Genny (original) by Genny

IMG_8076.jpg

For my lovely wife.
    2 x 30ml YSL Y EdT.
    Both Parfums Corp. The taller, open bottle is older (no barcode).

Basenotes Plus

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Congrats! I have a 100ml of this gem in this version.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Congrats! I have a 100ml of this gem in this version.
    Thanks. I imagine I'll be shopping for larger bottles, but this was the best deal I could find on vintage OB.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Hopefully this counts, yesterday I bought Acqua di Parma Colonia. Older style (square). What's interesting is this one's ingredients goes Alcohol -> Parfum -> Aqua, whereas the newer stuff may go Alcohol->Aqua->Parfum. So I'm assuming the older is higher concentration. 80% vol, so at least 10% parfum? Interesting. Based on batch code and short ingredients list, I'm assuming 1999 - but I could be wrong.

Very nice purchase. I could smell natural rose, ylang and sandalwood smell in this version when I used to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    You are on a roll. Congrats!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    Very nice purchase. I could smell natural rose, ylang and sandalwood smell in this version when I used to have it.
    Awesome, thanks! Looking forward to receiving it. I enjoy the current/modern stuff.
    All Hail King Kouros!

User of Toilet Water

I recently got a Tenere ​set with a 20ml splash bottle was pretty much blown away by it, so I ordered a 50ml after shave and am now looking for bigger spray bottle of the EDT. And I got a couple of small bottles of Shulton Old Spice EDC.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    You are on a roll. Congrats!
    Thanks! Man, I'm seriously slowing my roll—I've been paying for my habit like it was the mortgage. Gotta save up for Mrs. S.' graduation party and gift!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    For my lovely wife. 2 x 30ml YSL Y EdT. Both Parfums Corp. The taller, open bottle is older (no barcode).
    When they ruined "Y", they conveniently made it easy to tell the good old bottles from the bad new ones. On the new boxes and bottles, the "Y" is printed on a straight vertical. On the good old ones, the "Y" is tilted slightly to the right.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast