Code of Conduct
Page 60 of 157 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 110 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 4691
  1. #1771
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,439

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    Thanks. And I totally dig this version. Compared to the current version? Well, let me state upfront that I actually do like the current version (and have a bottle), but I have a slight preference to this older bottle. And really it's because of just two differences: the first one being longevity. The current version does not seem to have the staying power (on my skin) as the vintage, but the current can easily "get there" with an extra spray to the undershirt. The second noteworthy difference to my nose is in the long dry down. The vintage is "richer" with noticeable oakmoss, and dare I say, leather, that the current lacks. I like 'em both. The vintage bottles I have and the current bottle are certainly in the rotation for me.

    One thing that I'll add regarding the vintage bottles that I own: I've found that it takes some time for the scent to really kick into gear - it needs body heat. Upon initial application, you may say to yourself, "Hmmm, not very strong - I thought this was supposed to be a beast". Do not give in to the temptation of over-applying; wait a couple of hours, and you'll notice a wonderful aura that is pure class.
    Thanks, Aero, for that detailed and very helpful reply! Yes, longevity and oakmoss are the keywords here. I had an '03 version a couple years back. Never smelled Antaeus up till then, and I was blown backwards at first spray. While I thought it was good and of immaculate quality, I did think it was extremely pungent and perfumey and sold it later on, sadly. I guess I just wasn't ready for Antaeus . But now I feel that the time is juuust right for it and I just know I'm gonna love it.
    And thanks for the heads-up on the performance. I definately would've applied extra, had you not mentioned it LOL!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

  2. #1772
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    9,646
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Thanks, Aero, for that detailed and very helpful reply! Yes, longevity and oakmoss are the keywords here. I had an '03 version a couple years back. Never smelled Antaeus up till then, and I was blown backwards at first spray. While I thought it was good and of immaculate quality, I did think it was extremely pungent and perfumey and sold it later on, sadly. I guess I just wasn't ready for Antaeus . But now I feel that the time is juuust right for it and I just know I'm gonna love it.
    And thanks for the heads-up on the performance. I definately would've applied extra, had you not mentioned it LOL!
    The problem with most post-2011 oakmoss fragrances is they either stuff in evernyl to replace some of the oakmoss (same basic smell as oakmoss, but flatter and less diffuse), which effects the "skin glow" by making it closer and shorter-lived, or they just up the other base notes like tonka/musk which inadvertently sweetens and makes the composition soapier. In some cases this works if oakmoss was not a star player (like many vanillic barbershop fougères), but in some cases like Montana Parfum d'Homme or Quorum by Puig, this destroys the personality and gives you a different fragrance altogether.

    Others like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme or Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui are still serviceable in modern form but have the late stage effected more. In the case of Antaeus, the same problem with One Man Show arrises: both were dependent on castoreum for the leather note, so with that removed/replaced, you're getting much less "leather" and less staying power. I find the lack of castoreum a bigger difference in those two than a lack of oakmoss. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out that the warmth and sillage were more dependent on the animalic here than the moss.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Leather by Avon

  3. #1773
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,967

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    My favorite go to for patchouli. The first version really focuses in on the note.
    I agree with you. The first version of Givenchy Gentleman can easily be a reference patchouli for someone.



    Keeping things simple tonight, by just wearing Proraso aftershave. It’s just that kind of night. Fresh shave, splash on some tingly, and enjoy time with my family. Hope all are well.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  4. #1774

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    ….castoreum for the leather note, so with that removed/replaced, you're getting much less "leather" and less staying power. I find the lack of castoreum a bigger difference in those two than a lack of oakmoss....
    I was wondering how the castoreum factored into the equation. Did not know that it was the variable giving the leather note. Thanks.

  5. #1775
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    5,045

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  6. #1776
    Dependent
    roro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,253
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffman View Post
    Eau Folle
    How interesting. I'd never heard of this one.

  7. #1777
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    9,646
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    IMG_20180925_005348_656.jpg

    Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne (1996)
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Leather by Avon

  8. #1778
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,736

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffman View Post
    Eau Folle
    Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    How interesting. I'd never heard of this one.
    Me neither, and it looks very interesting.

    With an 8-ounce bottle, I'm guessing it's an eau de cologne? Anything like its housemate Fidji?

  9. #1779
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,736

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    I was just poking around for some info on Eau Folle, and it had a wonderfully wacky series of adverts in the 1970s:

    EauFolle.advert1.jpg

    EauFolle.advert3.jpg

  10. #1780
    Dependent
    roro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,253
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I was just poking around for some info on Eau Folle, and it had a wonderfully wacky series of adverts in the 1970s:
    I love those.

    A scent for the woman who's ready to shake things up.

  11. #1781
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,736

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    I love those.

    A scent for the woman who's ready to shake things up.
    Or outtakes from an episode of My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

  12. #1782
    Dependent
    roro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,253
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Or outtakes from an episode of My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.
    Is that good? I know that name, but that's about it.

    I just noticed that the bottles in the ads appear to be rocking. I want to try this stuff!

  13. #1783
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,045

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    …it looks very interesting.
    I read the reviews, and it sounds like it's right up your, um, alley.

  14. #1784
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,736

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    Is that good?
    No.

    I want to try this stuff!
    Me too. Any mention of "citrus leather" gets me instantly thinking "Eau d'Hermes".

  15. #1785
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,736

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I read the reviews, and it sounds like it's right up your, um, alley.
    I know! Although I prefer to think of mine as a boulevard.

  16. #1786
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,045

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I know! Although I prefer to think of mine as a boulevard.
    Of broken dreams, no doubt.

  17. #1787
    Dependent
    roro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,253
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    No.
    Hehe. I am curious, I have to say.


    Me too. Any mention of "citrus leather" gets me instantly thinking "Eau d'Hermes".
    It's a wonder neither of us has run across a bottle.

  18. #1788
    Basenotes Plus

    purecaramel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    in a garden with 7 senses
    Posts
    4,668

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I know! Although I prefer to think of mine as a boulevard.
    Nice to have our cheeky Cook.bot return
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

  19. #1789
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,439

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The problem with most post-2011 oakmoss fragrances is they either stuff in evernyl to replace some of the oakmoss (same basic smell as oakmoss, but flatter and less diffuse), which effects the "skin glow" by making it closer and shorter-lived, or they just up the other base notes like tonka/musk which inadvertently sweetens and makes the composition soapier. In some cases this works if oakmoss was not a star player (like many vanillic barbershop fougères), but in some cases like Montana Parfum d'Homme or Quorum by Puig, this destroys the personality and gives you a different fragrance altogether.

    Others like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme or Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui are still serviceable in modern form but have the late stage effected more. In the case of Antaeus, the same problem with One Man Show arrises: both were dependent on castoreum for the leather note, so with that removed/replaced, you're getting much less "leather" and less staying power. I find the lack of castoreum a bigger difference in those two than a lack of oakmoss. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out that the warmth and sillage were more dependent on the animalic here than the moss.
    Got it. I didn't think much about the castoreum in that sence (v/s oakmoss). Vtg OMS is jam-packed with it but I didn't really notice it that much in the Antaeus I had. But okay, I had to wash it off after a while 'cause it felt so pungent (I didn't understand/feel Antaeus at that time). But yes, castoreum as a booster had to be more key in that. Thanks, ZC!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

  20. #1790
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    48,948

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Chanel Antaeus
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  21. #1791
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    48,948

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  22. #1792
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    48,948

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Well done. How many backups do you currently own?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  23. #1793
    Basenotes Plus

    HouseOfPhlegethon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    in a bubble
    Posts
    5,292

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Y by YSL
    ...there is no joy, without peace...

  24. #1794

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Clint by Avon.

    Happy Thursday!
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

    Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

  25. #1795
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,967

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Caron Pour Un Homme, with a Louisiana dash of Agua Lavanda. Hope everyone has a safe and prosperous day today.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  26. #1796
    Dependent
    roro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,253
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Y by YSL
    I really like this one. It takes me back to the earthy side of the '70s.

  27. #1797

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Eau de Courrèges (1977)
    by Courrèges
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thread reviver

  28. #1798

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Me neither, and it looks very interesting.

    With an 8-ounce bottle, I'm guessing it's an eau de cologne? Anything like its housemate Fidji?

    it's an eau fraiche.
    thread reviver

  29. #1799
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    1,887

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Moschino Pour Homme

    E7DCD7C1-DE45-403E-8EB8-BEEF463EA862.jpg

    I’ve been binging.

  30. #1800
    Always be smelling

    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    6,548

    Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Moschino Pour Homme

    E7DCD7C1-DE45-403E-8EB8-BEEF463EA862.jpg

    I’ve been binging.
    Hmm more than BelAmi??
    Camel would be sad
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon




Page 60 of 157 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 110 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vintage Fragrances I bought today - 2020
    By epapsiou in forum Vintage Perfume
    Replies: 1655
    Last Post: Today, 02:53 PM
  2. Your Perfume Rotations in 2020
    By CuddleCat in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 2nd June 2020, 02:11 AM
  3. Slumberhouse 2020
    By PlayDough in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12th January 2020, 07:51 AM
  4. S o t D, Tuesday, 17 August 2020
    By JaimeB in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 18th August 2010, 01:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000