Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
o

Default Re: A Citrus Exploration

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    The current formulation of Eau Sauvage is a sparkling citrus with a touch of moss in the base. As I’m not familiar with the vintage and dislike moss anyway, I think it’s still a worthwhile scent.
    I was also thinking Eau Sauvage, vintage or not, depending on your moss appetite. Both are refreshing, and it's probably my reference citrus.

How about...Live Jazz!? Sparkling grapefruit and a distinctive coriander/cilantro and mint salvo kick it off, and it's very gradually softens to reveal a base of sandalwood and the lightest dose of musk/vanilla - always remaining basically sheer. I like it, obviously. It's discontinued, sadly, but I had sent you a bit if you'd like, OP.

Aramis Tuscany - dry, Mediterranean citrus, herbs and woods. Wears wonderfully in heat.

For a clean neroli with great performance, Penhaligon's Castile is a top option.

And +1 Armani Eau Pour Homme.

I'll be interested to know what you think of Cologne Sologne...it's on my radar at the moment.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Good explorations on your list!

Three more that I did not see there:

Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne - one of the best bergamot openings out there, decaying into nice long faux citrus. Use within 3 years for best results (loses the amazing top slowly).

Eau de Rochas - classic - just added my review. As worthy as the Chanel analog.

Alvarez Gomez Aqua de Colonia Concentrada - unique drugstore EDC that will become a guilty pleasure.
    +1 for Eau de Rochas Homme. Wonderful vintage scent. Unisex. A green citrus.

Would also suggest Entre Naranjos (2011) by Ramon Monegal. Focused. Unisex. Very pleasant. Moderate performance.
    Tunisian orange flower, Orange, Petitgrain citronnier, Neroli, Amber, Indonesian patchouli.

Also, you may recall from our Basenotes meet-up, I picked up Gentleman Cologne from Givenchy. Bright citrus, very friendly and likable.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

1881 Cerruti
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize

Of all of those you've listed, I may have tried about 50%. My favorites are:

Chanel Eau de Cologne
    Cap Neroli
    Eau de Italie
    Lime Basil & Mandarin

One which I think may be worth adding is:

Roja Dove Elysium Parfum Homme

Citruses tend to bore me, somehow this one keeps me very interested, all the time. I don't know if you might find it too masculine, but I don't think it is necessarily. Also, tmake sure it's not the Parfum Cologne.

If you want anything with very strong, realistic lemon, Profumum Roma Aqua Viva is worth checking out. For your "white citrus" group, Xerjoff Nio is very, very good as well.

And since you have access be sure to check out Atelier Pomelo Paradis.

This should be a fun questi and thread!
    Last edited by Buysblind; 7th January 2020 at 01:47 AM.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Commodity Nectar
    Elizabeth & James Nirvana French Grey
    John Varvatos Artisan and Artisan Pure
    Zara x Jo Malone Vetiver Pamplemousse
    Clinique Happy
    Geurlain L'Homme Ideal Cologne
    Commodity Bergamot
    Miller Harris Le Jasmin
    L'Occitane Eau de Cedrat

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    the Perris Monte Carlo is well balanced, like a delicate mandarin but with some real thickness to it. toward the brighter side, not overly green either and extremely natural smelling. probably the best mandarin i've put my nose on and much prefer it to the Tom Ford. sort of a hybrid of your categories.
    Thanks for the detailed description! Lucky scent carries samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Uni No Uta View Post
    I guess what's "affordable side" is going to vary from person to person.

As to how many sprays... for me that would depend on the scent itself. There are some scents so big where that could get you arrested for waging chemical warfare.

Anyway, FWIW, a few niche citruses I've tried lately that I've been fond of. Maybe not as affordable as others, but could be of interest if any other lurkers click the thread looking for off-the-beaten-path citrus recommendations.

Di Ser: KazeHikaru - stunning expression of yuzu up front, dry down adds a little more herbal complexity.

Folie a Plusieurs: Find Me (No. 1) - like waking up in at Italian citrus grove. Bergamot, lemon, orange blossoms, a hint of pine in the background... A little too feminine for me to wear personally, but if I smelled it on a date I'd be pretty intrigued.

Moth & Rabbit: Enter The Void - a bit more avant-garde It's a Mark Buxton creation, so expect the unexpected. Big dose of grapefruit & lime up front, though, and not too tart - more zest, leaf, and blossom than inner fruit.
    Thanks for introducing me to these with such vivid descriptions! I know enough to expect the unexpected from Mark Buxton, for sure.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I was also thinking Eau Sauvage, vintage or not, depending on your moss appetite. Both are refreshing, and it's probably my reference citrus.
    Reference citrus is high praise. I remember loving that one in 2014/2015, but I feel like itís been tweaked again? Perhaps I should revisit it.

How about...Live Jazz!? Sparkling grapefruit and a distinctive coriander/cilantro and mint salvo kick it off, and it's very gradually softens to reveal a base of sandalwood and the lightest dose of musk/vanilla - always remaining basically sheer. I like it, obviously. It's discontinued, sadly, but I had sent you a bit if you'd like, OP.

For a clean neroli with great performance, Penhaligon's Castile is a top option.

And +1 Armani Eau Pour Homme.
    Live Jazz sounds pretty great, Live Jazz!

I'll be interested to know what you think of Cologne Sologne...it's on my radar at the moment.
    I havenít tried that one in awhile, but Iíll be sure to dig out my sample this week for an update.

Tonight I’m doing a side by side comparison of:

Annick Goutal’s Eau d’Hadrien EDT
    Category: Hybrid of 2 and 3 (EDC/Bright Citrus)
    Rating: 4/5
    Longevity: need to test again

and

Eau d’Hadrien EDP/Absolu.
    Category: Hybrid of 2 and 3 (EDC/Bright Citrus)
    Rating: 5/5
    Longevity: need to test again

I have a story about this fragrance that is perhaps for another time, but perhaps relevant. On my honeymoon in Paris, I stayed at a hotel that used Eau d’Hadrien soap. While there I acquired a serious case of food poisoning that left me very dehydrated. During this time I attempted a bath, but had to get back out and leave the room because of the offensive floral soap. It made me sick just to be in the same room with it. Fast forward some years and imagine my surprise when I discover that Eau d’Hadrien is a lightweight, inoffensive lemon that after all these years I had misremembered (and misperceived while ill) as a foul floral.

I actually really enjoy this now. Definitely a contender. The EDT and EDP are very similar, but for an opaqueness in the EDP that isn’t present in the EDT, plus a slight rotting citrus warmth from the EDP. Usually an EDT girl, I’m surprised to be preferring the EDP. Not sure it’s really any stronger or longer-lasting, but it’s definitely got a different texture.
    Last edited by Kotori; 10th January 2020 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    +1 for Eau de Rochas Homme. Wonderful vintage scent. Unisex. A green citrus.

Would also suggest Entre Naranjos (2011) by Ramon Monegal. Focused. Unisex. Very pleasant. Moderate performance.
    Tunisian orange flower, Orange, Petitgrain citronnier, Neroli, Amber, Indonesian patchouli.

Also, you may recall from our Basenotes meet-up, I picked up Gentleman Cologne from Givenchy. Bright citrus, very friendly and likable.
    Shoot, paging Redneck Perfumisto... is it Eau de Rochas 1970 or Eau de Rochas Homme 1993 you were suggesting? Either could fit...

JuxtEntre Naranjos is new to me, but of course I’m a sucker for Spanish!

And now that you mention it, I do remember your Givenchy purchase. Was it at Barney’s?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    1881 Cerruti
    Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    Commodity Nectar
    Elizabeth & James Nirvana French Grey
    John Varvatos Artisan and Artisan Pure
    Zara x Jo Malone Vetiver Pamplemousse
    Clinique Happy
    Geurlain L'Homme Ideal Cologne
    Commodity Bergamot
    Miller Harris Le Jasmin
    L'Occitane Eau de Cedrat
    Thanks for these suggestions! I was interested in that L’Occitane, because I know I’ve smelled it at maybe the Houston airport, but I can’t get samples. Next time I’m in Chicago maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Of all of those you've listed, I may have tried about 50%. My favorites are:

Chanel Eau de Cologne
    Cap Neroli
    Eau de Italie
    Lime Basil & Mandarin

One which I think may be worth adding is:

Roja Dove Elysium Parfum Homme

Citruses tend to bore me, somehow this one keeps me very interested, all the time. I don't know if you might find it too masculine, but I don't think it is necessarily. Also, tmake sure it's not the Parfum Cologne.

If you want anything with very strong, realistic lemon, Profumum Roma Aqua Viva is worth checking out. For your "white citrus" group, Xerjoff Nio is very, very good as well.

And since you have access be sure to check out Atelier Pomelo Paradis.

This should be a fun questi and thread!
    Thanks for the great suggestions and I’m glad you’re joining in!

Hey side question, Buysblind: Are you doing the Netto thing again this year? That was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Shoot, paging Redneck Perfumisto... is it Eau de Rochas 1970 or Eau de Rochas Homme 1993 you were suggesting? Either could fit...

JuxtEntre Naranjos is new to me, but of course Iím a sucker for Spanish!

And now that you mention it, I do remember your Givenchy purchase. Was it at Barneyís?
    Barneyís it was, sad face. Never again.

I love the 1993 version http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120516.html actually donít realize there was a 1970 Eau de Rochas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Basenotes Plus

Kotori, add Iskander to your Parfum d'Empire checklist. A stunning citrus, with remarkable longevity; in fact, the longest lasting citrus I've ever experienced. And I live in heat & humidity just as bad as yours!

I'm another strong vote for Eau du Sud, too. Performs amazingly in the South.

You know what else? Get yourself a gigantic bottle of vintage Jean Nate afterbath splash. Easily available on eBay, costs buttons, and lasts for hours. Vintage only, though -- the one made by Charles of the Ritz. I literally pour it on in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Kotori, add Iskander to your Parfum d'Empire checklist. A stunning citrus, with remarkable longevity; in fact, the longest lasting citrus I've ever experienced. And I live in heat & humidity just as bad as yours!

You know what else? Get yourself a gigantic bottle of vintage Jean Nate afterbath splash. Easily available on eBay, costs buttons, and lasts for hours. Vintage only, though -- the one made by Charles of the Ritz. I literally pour it on in the summer.
    Cook.bot, you sold me on Iskander. I found this offer on ebay for 12ML manufacturer samples of Iskander - only $30, so I jumped on it!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Cook.bot, you sold me on Iskander. I found this offer on ebay for 12ML manufacturer samples of Iskander - only $30, so I jumped on it!

I don't think you'll regret it! I jumped on a 100ml bottle when I learned they were going to only 50ml sizes, and I'm using it up like crazy. Do let me know what you think when you receive it.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

JuxtEntre Naranjos is new to me, but of course I’m a sucker for Spanish!

And now that you mention it, I do remember your Givenchy purchase. Was it at Barney’s?
    Barney’s it was, sad face. Never again.

I love the 1993 version http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120516.html actually don’t realize there was a 1970 Eau de Rochas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I was talking about the older one, supposedly for women, but less femme than the Chanel Exclusif, IMO, and quite unisex. The Pour Homme is supposedly just as good and also unisex - next on my list!

BTW - Entre Naranjos is excellent.

Caron Yuzu Man is nice, too, but a bit like Acqua di GiÚ Pour Homme w/ a yuzu feel. Good stuff, but it is what it is. Nice for heat, unfamiliar to most, will pass as an aquatic pour femme, IMO.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Coming from Chicago to Phoenix, my selection has been quite unexpected. Vetiver wears well, something like Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez. The other Puig frags do well like Aqua Brava. A bit of a Barcelona trend perhaps? Anyway, I find aquatics are nauseating in the heat, so I’d stay away from the usual suspects. Aramis 900 works too.
    Best wishes,

Chris
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

I don't think you'll regret it! I jumped on a 100ml bottle when I learned they were going to only 50ml sizes, and I'm using it up like crazy. Do let me know what you think when you receive it.
    Please share your thoughts here, Juxt!

Please share your thoughts here, Juxt!
    Expected arrival Wednesday. Oh not so exciting... next Wednesday lol.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I know you do! It’s been so helpful to be able to bounce things off of you since we’re in the same region.

Noted. I do adore Eau de Sud. It has that leather note— is it isobutyl quinoline? The one at the base of Lauder Azuree and others we explored in the Turin quest? I love that one. It’s in Odalisque, too, and maybe Mousse Illuminee? I feel like the citrus part itself might be too fleeting for what I’m looking for here, but I may want it anyway, more to represent the 60’s/70’s green and chypre categories?

Noted. Don’t think I’m familiar with the smell, though I’ve seen the bottle.

I was talking about the older one, supposedly for women, but less femme than the Chanel Exclusif, IMO, and quite unisex. The Pour Homme is supposedly just as good and also unisex - next on my list!
    Ok. So it seems like I should sample both.

BTW - Entre Naranjos is excellent.

Caron Yuzu Man is nice, too, but a bit like Acqua di GiÚ Pour Homme w/ a yuzu feel. Good stuff, but it is what it is. Nice for heat, unfamiliar to most, will pass as an aquatic pour femme, IMO.
    Caron has some great stuff. I’ve been curious about that Yuzu. You know I don’t mind wearing a male-marketed scent I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce2 View Post
    Coming from Chicago to Phoenix, my selection has been quite unexpected. Vetiver wears well, something like Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez. The other Puig frags do well like Aqua Brava. A bit of a Barcelona trend perhaps? Anyway, I find aquatics are nauseating in the heat, so I’d stay away from the usual suspects. Aramis 900 works too.
    I find aquatics generally nauseating in the heat, too. But there are exceptions. Un Jardin Sur Le Nil by HermŤs, for example, is broadly speaking an aquatic, and it’s fabulous in the heat. Mr. Kotori has a 200 ml bottle of Sycomore EDT by Chanel for scratching that vetiver itch. It absolutely does perform well in the heat, quite unexpectedly.

Notes: Mandarin, bergamot, lemon, cinnamon, cardamom, pink pepper, ylang-ylang, orange blossom, sandalwood, vetiver

Don't stank.

I don't know if it is available on luckyscent, but Trudon Medie is one of the best citrusy fragrances I've ever smelled. Joins the third category
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Thanks for the great suggestions and I’m glad you’re joining in!

Hey side question, Buysblind: Are you doing the Netto thing again this year? That was fun!

Yes, I'm doing the Netto thing again, and I'm also thinking about maybe doing a 48 fragrance blind-sampling round robin tournament. Cutting down on overall posts and focusing on a few more in-depth, recurring threads.

Are you going to make your "citrus quest" an ongoing thread? Those are always fun to follow.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Alvarez Gomez Aqua de Colonia Concentrada - unique drugstore EDC that will become a guilty pleasure.
    I was going to add this one as well. Inexpensive enough to go crazy spraying.
    When I was young, we called it "personal space", not, "social distancing" like nowadays. Actually, shouldn't it be called Public distancing?
    Currently wearing: Paris-Riviera by Chanel

On your list: Sunday cologne doesnít seem very citrusy to me much more of a traditional Masculin but I love it.
    Note d Yuzu is very nice...almost a creamier version of Le Labo bergamotte 22.

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Notes: Mandarin, bergamot, lemon, cinnamon, cardamom, pink pepper, ylang-ylang, orange blossom, sandalwood, vetiver

Noted. Does the forte smell appreciably different? Is it just a strength thing, or so you feel like the Acqua Vitae and the Acqua Vitae Forte are two different compositions?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    I don't know if it is available on luckyscent, but Trudon Medie is one of the best citrusy fragrances I've ever smelled. Joins the third category
    Iíll look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Primatesinplaid View Post
    On your list: Sunday cologne doesnít seem very citrusy to me much more of a traditional Masculin but I love it.
    Note d Yuzu is very nice...almost a creamier version of Le Labo bergamotte 22.
    Hm. So maybe I donít need Sunday Cologne for this venture? It sounds a lot like Declaration? And I adore Declaration, but the citrus only lasts you 30 seconds and after that, itís more of a cardamom perfume. I borrow Mr. Kotoriís now and then.

Note du Yuzu sounds nice. And that makes sense because I find Yuzu scents to be softer than Bergamot ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Yes, I'm doing the Netto thing again, and I'm also thinking about maybe doing a 48 fragrance blind-sampling round robin tournament. Cutting down on overall posts and focusing on a few more in-depth, recurring threads.

Are you going to make your "citrus quest" an ongoing thread? Those are always fun to follow.
    Yeah I make a lot of use of the Subscribed Threads feature to tailor my Basenotes experience and focus on ideas I’m interested in exploring or “hang out” with friends.

A couple of years ago I did a magnolia quest called Chasing Magnolias. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/450...sing-Magnolias

I invited others to follow with me and suggest. I posted reviews, and sometimes other people did, too. I explored what was on my list to try as I found places to acquire samples or was in town somewhere to test. The list grew a lot from folks’ contributions and sometimes I couldn’t get ahold of suggested things or they were discontinued/hard to find. But I got what I could, posted reviews, and made a decision at the end. It ended up taking a long time (about a year) because of the nature of magnolia scents: pretty rare, often discontinued, mostly available in only larger cities than my current one. This citrus thing should go quite a bit faster because I’ve already done a lot of pre-work and I have some samples here, some en route, and some being added to the list. I’ll probably update my purchase list by next week and place another order. I’ll keep trying stuff as time allows. This week is particularly difficult since I’m in a crunch time at work and also taking a night class, but I plan to catch up a bit on the weekend. So the short answer is, yes! Add it to your subscribed threads and follow along if you like. And if you have a sample or bottle of something I’m testing, feel free to play along.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I was going to add this one as well. Inexpensive enough to go crazy spraying.
    Wow, guys! That really is cheap as chips!

https://www.smallflower.com/agua-de-...logne-10068572

Milano Cento
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Wow, guys! That really is cheap as chips!

https://www.smallflower.com/agua-de-...logne-10068572
    Yeah, those little bottles are cheaper than many pay samples, and last a while, too. Perfect way to see if it's the thing for you. And if it is, wait until you see the prices on the "economy-sized" bottles!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Alvarez Gomez is quite nice, even their shave soap is first class
    Best wishes,

Chris
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast