Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
o

Default Re: A Citrus Exploration

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    L’Eau Mixte by Parfums di Nicolai
    Category: 3 Bright Citrus
    Rating: 5/5
    Longevity: 2/5

The prelude is a bright citrus bouquet, at times leaning toward grapefruit, at times toward lemon, and all with the brightness of orange. The black currant in the heart prolongs the fruity beginning, tying it to a cheerful rose. I’m reminded on the one hand of Juliette Has a Gun’s fruity rose, Miss Charming, but if the fruit were dominant rather than the rose, and leaving out the godawful woody aromachemicals that form the base of all of their blends. A bit later the grapefruit is the last citrus standing, and I get a sense of what Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune would be like without it’s polarizing patchouli. I’m afraid this citrus won’t last, as we’ve only had 25 minutes of it, and already it’s melody seems to be fading away into a base of black currant leaves. Not at all what I had expected from its name, though it makes perfect sense really: L’Eau Mixte. Mixed fruits. A delightful little mix that’s too gold to stay.
    Wonderful review. Sounds like I would love this...except I can’t abide fleeting fragrances.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    OMG - I'm gonna love this one!

This is chinotto - a very dark citrus. Almost like a cola.

I found a chinotto fragrance years ago, and loved it. I also bought some San Pellegrino Chinotto drink - awesome stuff!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/274...se-Abaton-Bros

https://cologniac.wordpress.com/2011...otto-in-fiore/

Just noticed the pictures are messed up on that old blog post . Ugh. Later!
    Great read! “ Citrus is always a winner in fragrance. Unisex and universally appealing to humans, it’s pretty hard to meet a citrus that’s not to love. The only trouble is finding one that you haven’t already met.”

I definitely think you’d like this. I was even thinking that as it dried down because the drydown has a resemblance to Eau de Pamplemousse Rose’s drydown. Dry, soft, mossy, a bit of the chypre...Unfortunately my Acqua di Parma carded samples arrived from FragranceNet nearly empty, so I don’t feel like I got a great flavor for the Chinotto itself. I think there is maybe one more spray in that little tube. I’ll see if i note a cola type of flavor. I just remember it being a very round and fruity citrus. (And I’m definitely going to send a note to FragranceNet customer service; I bought four and they were all like that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yup, that sounds like a perfect description of an aged bottle like mine! They just go flat. Normally the opening is electrifying, IMO. Worth taking repeated store sniffs to catch a fresh bottle.
    I’ll take note next time I’m in another store. We have Macy’s and Dillard’s, so we’re not completely bereft here in Memphis.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Wonderful review. Sounds like I would love this...except I can’t abide fleeting fragrances.
    I think you would based on Le Fleurs de Duchet. They both share that round, fruity rose note. I should give a caveat to my review: I thought L’Eau Mixte was basically gone when I went to bed last night, but interestingly, this morning the black currant drydown is still very present. No citrus to speak of, but nevertheless, a remainder. I’ll update the longevity accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I appreciate your take on Givenchy Gentleman Cologne. This is one I've wanted to try for a while (along with its corresponding pillar EDT). And thanks for the "silvery" description, it helps put it in perspective.
    Thanks! It’s not metallic-smelling, as a lot of silvery ones are, but it’s silvery in its sharpness and the way it rises like a high note over all the other test strips. I think this would be amazing in the heat, cutting through the sticky summer. On our coldest day of the year thus far, it comes across as a bit pushy. But it lasts pretty well and the iris seems to strengthen it, instead of making it powdery as some iris notes do. Definitely worth a test!

Basenotes Plus

Blu Mediterraneo Chinotto di Liguria by Acqua di Parma
    Category: 2 Eau de Cologne
    Longevity: 4/5 (moss lasts well, not citrus)

In the opening there’s a bright fruit I don’t recognize alongside a strong but fleeting cardamom note. After a few minutes, the rosemary takes over and becomes much more herbaceous.The base reminds me quite a bit of Eau de Sud, but lighter. Not as unique as the top notes promise, but the mossy base wins me over. An overall gorgeous composition.
    It IS indeed delightful. One of my favorites from the Blu Mediterraneo line.

C049CEE1-04C6-4E0A-830A-BAE6E1C47ED9.jpg
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    It IS indeed delightful. One of my favorites from the Blu Mediterraneo line.

C049CEE1-04C6-4E0A-830A-BAE6E1C47ED9.jpg
    Nice! Your own image, or an ad?

Orange Alhambra by Armani Prive
    Category: 1 Bigarade type, with some bright citrus

What a delightful, realistic bitter orange opening! I can actually picture green and underripe oranges sort of misting as the peel is torn. It opens with bitter orange and lemon, with petitgrain for extra bitterness. This part projects! Then lemon sings a one-note melody for a minute or so. Then it softens into a sweet orange or mandarin note, which is less exciting, but more wearable. Later there’s that note of off-gassing that you get when oranges or mandarins are overripe in the bowl. A few minutes later, some moss comes in to provide harmonic structure. The development is remarkably quick. A bit later, that note of sweet orange essential oil at the health food store becomes apparent. I can almost smell the little brown bottles.

Eventually, most of the citrus goes, and we are left with a less-than-voluptuous oakmoss and the barest hint of green patchouli. Very pretty. I could go for this! I do wish the citrus lasted longer than half an hour.
    Last edited by Kotori; 25th January 2020 at 02:41 PM.

the Armani was one i hunted down and beyond an excellent opening as you said it wasn't for me. very green & mossy thereafter, too mature smelling.

Longevity: 3/5

What a delightful, realistic bitter orange opening! I can actually picture green and underripe oranges sort of misting as the peel is torn. It opens with bitter orange and lemon, with petitgrain for extra bitterness. This part projects! Then lemon sings a one-note melody for a minute or so. Then it softens into a sweet orange or mandarin note, which is less exciting, but more wearable. Later there’s that note of off-gassing that you get when oranges or mandarins are overripe in the bowl. A few minutes later, some moss comes in to provide harmonic structure. The development is remarkably quick. A bit later, that note of sweet orange essential oil at the health food store becomes apparent. I can almost smell the little brown bottles.

Eventually, most of the citrus goes, and we are left with a less-than-voluptuous oakmoss and the barest hint of green patchouli. Very pretty. I could go for this! I do wish the citrus lasted longer than half an hour.
    Glad you liked it. This is one that would truly benefit from some real oakmoss. Oddly I prefer wearing this in colder weather; the citrus seems to last longer.
    Currently wearing: Dilettante by Hiram Green

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtone View Post
    Glad you liked it. This is one that would truly benefit from some real oakmoss. Oddly I prefer wearing this in colder weather; the citrus seems to last longer.
    I agree with all!

Testing out Dilettante right now and wow!
    Last edited by Kotori; 25th January 2020 at 02:38 PM.

After trying Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale I fell in love with this genre of classic traditional colognes. Thanks so much for starting this thread. Looking forward to reading and exploring citrus fragrances too.

I also like Chanel's Paris-Deauville. I wonder which category you would slot that.

Basenotes Plus

The above AdP photo was ‘borrowed’ iirc though I do own a pair of frames almost identical to the one featured.

I remember shortlisting this during a gift hunt at the Armani Prive counter only for it to rapidly evolve into a skin scent within 15 minutes of application. Given its relatively hefty pricetag that’s literally spritzing away precious dollars lol. In all fairness though sampling at a fragrance counter isn’t method I would strongly recommend to anyone.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Bergamote by The Different Company

Oh, this is very good. <looks up perfumer> Because of course it is. Jean-Claude Ellena. The minimalist master. In truth I’ve been wanting to test out his work for The Different Company for quite awhile. The opening act is a delightful burst of bergamot, along with a whisper of earl grey tea. After ten or fifteen minutes, the ginger and rhubarb are apparent and the bergamot is taking a bow. But it’s a really smooth transition, because the ginger behaves enough like citrus to perform a sleight of hand so that the wearer does not realize the citrus has exited stage left until awhile later. The heart has orange blossom, but it’s subtle, and it lends weight, complexity, and a citric quality to the composition, rather than hogging the spotlight. The downwind waft at this point is a gingery orange blossom that smells remarkably like the real thing. I’ll update on the longevity, but this is both intelligent and wearable. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    the Armani was one i hunted down and beyond an excellent opening as you said it wasn't for me. very green & mossy thereafter, too mature smelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I remember shortlisting this during a gift hunt at the Armani Prive counter only for it to rapidly evolve into a skin scent within 15 minutes of application. Given its relatively hefty pricetag that’s literally spritzing away precious dollars lol. In all fairness though sampling at a fragrance counter isn’t method I would strongly recommend to anyone.
    The Armani could use more longevity, to be sure. I’ll try testing it in differing weather, to yellowtone’s point. And I agree that while mossy bases aren’t for everyone, they are better if they use real moss. It’s expensive for the amount of time you get with the orange, sure. Fragrances like Orange Sanguine by Atelier buy more time through an injection of woody aromachemicals. But those aromachemicals have started to bother me, so I’m exploring bases with musk, ginger, black currant, rhubarb or moss. They smell better to me.

Medie by Cire Trudon
    Category: 4 Citrus Woods
    Rating: 1/5
    Longevity: 5/5

I’ve had to create new category for my reviews, because this one is definitely a citrus woods perfume, not any of the other three. This one is a beautiful ambery, citrus woody with an emphasis on the woods. It’s a good masculine, and a solid entry in the citrus woods category. If you enjoy Bleu de Chanel or Allure Homme Sport Extreme, this is something not everyone is wearing. Personally, I need to go scrub it off now, as it’s triggering a migraine. The longevity mark is therefore assumptive. It’s got a strong base that will last well.

EDIT: I UPDATED THE SCORE TO ACCOUNT FOR THE ALL-DAY, ALL-NIGHT MIGRAINE I SUFFERED AT ITS HANDS AFTER WEARING IT FOR ONLY A FEW MINUTES. My prescription migraine meds didn’t stand a chance and I had to spend a day in bed. Ugh. It seems pleasant, but I wouldn’t want to be sitting next to anyone on a bus who was wearing it.
    Last edited by Kotori; 26th January 2020 at 08:10 PM. Reason: New info

Eau d’Italie

This belongs on my Chasing Magnolias thread. Not a citrus. Sorry guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Celinman View Post
    After trying Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale I fell in love with this genre of classic traditional colognes. Thanks so much for starting this thread. Looking forward to reading and exploring citrus fragrances too.

I also like Chanel's Paris-Deauville. I wonder which category you would slot that.
    Eau de Cologne Imperiale is one of the classics. It’s pretty great! What else have you enjoyed?

Paris-Deauville reminds me most of the Eau Fraiche styles of a generation ago. It’s done with patchouli instead of oakmoss, but since 2007, that’s how it’s had to be. It’s like a modern reboot of Dior Eau Fraiche or one of its competitors (Eau de Sud by Annick Goutal is a good example). The basic idea is a citrus top over a more lasting oakmossy base. Deauville subs in patchouli and a basic irissy Chanel base.

Mediterraneo by Carthusia
    Rating: 3/5

Lemon tea. Simple, sweet-and-sour but not sharp or bracing. Soft. Warm, even. Enjoyable to wear, but not groundbreaking. I’d like to give it a 4 for smelling like quality, but at the same time, it doesn’t “spark joy.” Gone within an hour.

Sundazed by Byredo
    Category 3 Bright Citrus
    Rating 4/5
    Longevity 4/5

Lemon candy and white musk. Simple, joyful, projects and lasts well. It’s something I fell for at a store, and it’s easy to see why— the strong white musk isn’t obvious after testing several other perfumes first, but it strengthens the composition enough to stand out. If you enjoy sweet citrus, and want it to last, and don’t mind a base of Bounce sheet, this is just the ticket.

Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat by Guerlain
    Longevity: 1/5

Imagine the most delicious burst of bergamot and lemon you’ve ever smelled (which is very close to the smell of cedrat). And then imagine it turning to lemonade within ten minutes. And then gone completely within half an hour. Quite possibly my favorite eau ever, it is also by far the most fleeting. Even 4711 can outlast this ephemeral beauty! Fulfilling the original intention of an eau de cologne by being a quick, refreshing pick me up, it should be kept in a refrigerator for cooling off after coming inside on a hot day, to be enjoyed with a glass of fresh lemonade. At its tempting price point, I’ve almost bought it several times, but I think I’d find myself reapplying every ten minutes!

Eau de Cologne Imperiale is one of the classics. It’s pretty great! What else have you enjoyed?

Paris-Deauville reminds me most of the Eau Fraiche styles of a generation ago. It’s done with patchouli instead of oakmoss, but since 2007, that’s how it’s had to be. It’s like a modern reboot of Dior Eau Fraiche or one of its competitors (Eau de Sud by Annick Goutal is a good example). The basic idea is a citrus top over a more lasting oakmossy base. Deauville subs in patchouli and a basic irissy Chanel base.
    I've also sampled Eau Sauvage EdT and Pour Monsieur EdT and I realized I loved the citrus top, but wasn't as big of a fan for the warmer base. That's when I realized what I was looking for was the pure fleeting experience that sparks joy that is in Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale. I envisioned it would a fragrance that I would use before bed/worn primarily at home, so longevity wasn't something that was a high factor for me.

Interesting info about the style of Paris-Deaville and Dior's Eau Fraiche!
    Again really thankful you started this project as it would be very helpful for my exploration that I am intending to start soon.

Testing out Dilettante right now and wow!
    Haha, is that a good or a bad thing?
    Currently wearing: Dilettante by Hiram Green

Basenotes Plus

What a great topic with usefull information this is! I already decided for myself I will go for Cologne Sologne and Eau du Coq for my citrus fixes this summer, but maybe I also should give Eau d'Eté another sampling.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï

Cologne Cedrat by Parfums di Nicolai
    Rating: 4/5
    Longevity: 4/5

Refreshing and simple. A darkish interpretation of cedrat with a lasting musky base halfway between Mirto di Panarea and Mandarino di Amalfi. The overall character is a bit like Eau d’Hadrien EDP/Absolu. I like what the black pepper note does to the composition: makes it refreshing without making it green. Not that I mind green. But it’s creative and gives it a bite. I feel like if I could layer Eau de Cologne Imperiale or Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat over this, the result might be perfect. The drydown lasts well, I get at least two hours out of it, which is toward the high end for a citrus. I don’t smell the patchouli note at all; maybe that will come later. Listed as a masculine, but it’s unisex.

Haha, is that a good or a bad thing?
    I’m still deciding, honestly. It’s so striking! I don’t think it remains citrusy for long; it’s definitely a white floral. One of the most fatty and waxy florals I’ve encountered that nevertheless doesn’t slide into fecal or mushroomy territory. It in fact smells remarkably like the actual orange trees they were selling while in bloom at my local garden center last year. You keep them in pots because they can’t survive the winters here.

I think I love it. But also orange blossom and I have a complicated history. The Lutens, for example, is a definite migraine trigger. I think I need warmer weather for this one.

Citrico by Comme des Garçons
    Rating: 2/5

It starts off promising like 4711 with a bit more subtlety. Then the floral, which includes solvent-extracted orange blossom, rather than just steam-distilled neroli, veers off into a sweet banana-peel and bubblegum territory where I unfortunately can’t follow.
    Last edited by Kotori; 27th January 2020 at 03:36 AM.

Via Camerelle by Carthusia
    Category: 2 Eau de Cologne variant

Nice! An eau de cologne with a different herbal palette. After awhile they start to smell the same, but this one has a lemony bergamot citrus placed atop a heart of cyclamen and marjoram, and a base of mildly aquatic musk. There’s also a nice dollop of hedione in the heart to give it both depth and lift. The heart and base smell a lot like a favorite of mine: Gieffeffe by Gianfranco Ferre. If you’ve never smelled Gieffeffe, I’m told it has a lot in common with cKOne, though I myself don’t see it. It’s maybe what would happen if cKOne and Cologne du 68 had offspring. Anyway, it’s that, but spicier. Back to Via Camerelle, it’s Gieffeffe’s relative from Sicily, perhaps. The citrus top doesn’t last, but the base is nice, so it’s all good.
    Last edited by Kotori; 27th January 2020 at 03:38 AM.

Acqua Viva by Profumum
    Longevity: 5/5

The opening astringent bergamot illuminated by fluorescent lighting arouses my skepticism. It’s bright, but it’s sooo bright that it’s like brain freeze after eating a lemon ice from the back of the freezer. Thankfully, this level of brightness dissipates relatively quickly. It’s replaced by a bright lemon that never veers into lemon tea territory, and escapes smelling like a cleaning product by a narrow margin. You may know this bright note from Aqua Universalis or Gentleman Cologne by Givenchy. Slowly it slips into a bright base that I know from Eau d’Hadrien EDP/Absolu. In fact, the overall composition reminds me a great deal of Eau d’Hadrien EDP/Absolu, but more linear and less complex. I’m going to have to wear them side by side at some point. A couple of hours in, the sillage is gone, but it’s still going strong as a citric skin scent. Overall lovely and long-lasting after a somewhat sharp beginning.

Eau de Minimes by Le Couvent de Minimes
    Rating: 2/5
    Longevity: 4/5

A quaint, sweet, grapefruit-based eau with a heart of wildflowers, and a vanillic, powdery base. My son enjoys it as a refreshing summer pick-me-up and has drained 100 ml. Not the same level of quality as Eau de Missions, I’m afraid. It’s a bit too sweet in its floralcy and I can’t wear it as I find it cloying.
    Last edited by Kotori; 27th January 2020 at 05:48 AM.

Eau de Cologne by Chanel
    Category: Eau de Cologne variant
    Rating: 3/5

Context: I’m a self-proclaimed Chanel girl. I’ve had more Chanels than anything else. Before I started this exploration, I had considered Chanel’s Eau de Cologne to be a best-in-category. With its smooth and longer-lasting composition, I felt like while its higher price was regrettable, it was justified. On the basis of Eau de Cologne, I had been initially very excited about the new Chanel eaux, and I even had Eau de Cologne on my wish list at some point in the last year or two. It was in fact two factors that led me to this exploration 1) the increasing scarcity of Escale a Portofino (the eau/citrus I’ve been wearing for years), and 2) the fact that my last skin test of Chanel’s Eau de Cologne caused a small hive/rash.

Testing it last night with all these others in recent memory, I’m much less impressed and much less likely to claim its high-end price is justified. Others in that high-end bracket may still be justified due to the magical long-lasting bases or composition creativity; just maybe not this one. Smelling it last night was like smelling it again for the first time, and I realize that typically when I’ve tested it, I’ve done so in a context of testing other Chanels, and so I haven’t noticed its derivative base. It’s the same base from 28 La Pausa, 1932, and Chance Eau Tendre. It’s a variation on the base in No.19 Poudre. That can be a good thing; it’s a nice base. I own and enjoy No. 19 Poudre. But if you like your colognes and citruses with more bite, and want a base of musk or herbs or fruit or a chypre-like base, this isn’t it. This one is a few minutes of lemon atop a neroli heart and a base of iris-flavored marshmallows with a whisper of projection chemicals and woody aromachemicals for lift and root, respectively. My skin allergy aside, this is just not what I thought it was. Escale a Portofino by Dior kicks its butt handily, and at less than half the price.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast