Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31

Thread: Tobacco + Plum

o
  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    114

    Default Tobacco + Plum

    Hello everyone

    Any good suggestions for a tobacco and plum fragrance? Something leaning on the masculine side. I already have tobacco Vanille, frank boclet tobacco. tried plum Japonais. So looking for some different suggestions. Really enjoyed bond no. 9s Andy Warhol face edition although that one didnt have tobacco but unfortunately discontinued. Thank you for any recommendations that you may have.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by xeryusiv View Post
    Hello everyone

    Any good suggestions for a tobacco and plum fragrance? Something leaning on the masculine side. I already have tobacco Vanille, frank boclet tobacco. tried plum Japonais. So looking for some different suggestions. Really enjoyed bond no. 9’s Andy Warhol face edition although that one didn’t have tobacco but unfortunately discontinued. Thank you for any recommendations that you may have.

    Yes. Get a vintage bottle of Michael Kors For Men .
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Yes. Get a vintage bottle of Michael Kors For Men .
    this

  4. #4

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Deleted
    Currently wearing: goste / L'goste by Chanel

  5. #5
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil
    Posts
    304,940

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Le Dandy D'Orsay
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Yes. Get a vintage bottle of Michael Kors For Men .
    That's what I was going to suggest.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Possibly certain hints of Knize Ten, Chergui, Eau des Baux, Lapidus pour Homme (for leathery chypre pineapple fruity, slightly musky rather than plummy sweeter tobacco variations), Lanvin Avantgarde and/or even the current Trussardi Uomo (nowhere near as much powerhouse tobacco than its completely differnt vintage version, yet far more plummy/dried, candied fruit notes instead)
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

  8. #8
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    8,851
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang (2004)
    Avon Far Away for Men (1997) has plumeria in place of the plum, similar vibe.
    Michael for Men by Michael Kors (2001)
    Malin + Goetz Dark Rum (2014) has plum but no tobacco
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  9. #9
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,391

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    It's been said a million times but I'll drive it home even further with the Michael for Men by Michael Kors.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  10. #10

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    CdG Floriental?

  11. #11
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,915

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Hmm,

    Pre de Provence No. 63

    It's like a Plum meets Viktor&Rolf Spice Bomb. And yes, it has a substantial tobacco element going on. I HIGHLY recommend you smell this based on your requested note description. I am considering assembling a full bath and shaving set of this fragrance. The only reason I haven't already is that I have a closet and bathroom storage area full of bath and shaving products. I hardly have room anymore. But this stuff is a serious temptation.
    Currently wearing: Osato by Micallef

  12. #12

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    It's been said a million times but I'll drive it home even further with the Michael for Men by Michael Kors.
    Yep. Not often a BN thread has a such an obviously correct answer

  13. #13
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,391

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    Yep. Not often a BN thread has a such an obviously correct answer
    Lol. Yep. It's kind of like asking us to recommend that exact fragrance. The first time I wore Michael, those two notes were immediately the first thing to hit me.
    I guess a good question would be who else did a scent like this or who did it better?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  14. #14
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    43,939

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Frank No. 2 Los Angeles.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  15. #15

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Frank No. 2 Los Angeles.
    This is a really nice one too. I don’t know of anyone who’s tried it and didn’t like it.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    43,939

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    This is a really nice one too. I don’t know of anyone who’s tried it and didn’t like it.
    One I should wear more often for sure
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  17. #17

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    This is a really nice one too. I dont know of anyone whos tried it and didnt like it.
    Some have said that Frank No. 2 was essentially their attempt at making a sort of Michael For Men 2001. Frank No. 2 has always been recommend online as a close alternative to Kors since it was discontinued, but I have never tried it personally to see if this is true.

    If Kors was successful and they had different versions of the same tobacco/plum Michael cologne ala Michael - Fresh, Michael - Black , Michael - Extreme, might Frank No. 2 come across as part of the Michael Kors fragrance line or are the similarities overstated?

    Any feedback on this would be appreciated

  18. #18

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Hmm,

    Pre de Provence No. 63

    It's like a Plum meets Viktor&Rolf Spice Bomb. And yes, it has a substantial tobacco element going on. I HIGHLY recommend you smell this based on your requested note description. I am considering assembling a full bath and shaving set of this fragrance. The only reason I haven't already is that I have a closet and bathroom storage area full of bath and shaving products. I hardly have room anymore. But this stuff is a serious temptation.
    This sounds interesting, but I find Spice Bomb to be a little too sweet. I like a more warm and spicy tobacco fragrance. Would you say this is a very sweet?

  19. #19
    Zgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    6,084

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    It's been said a million times but I'll drive it home even further with the Michael for Men by Michael Kors.
    I had a sample of it, awesome stuff. Supposedly discontinued, but I hope it isn't.

  20. #20
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,391

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I had a sample of it, awesome stuff. Supposedly discontinued, but I hope it isn't.
    You're talking about Michael Kors for Men. It's not discontinued. Michael for Men was it's predecessor and long been discontinued.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  21. #21
    Super Member yuncherrypops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    227

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    The Merchant of Venice - Arabesque

  22. #22

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Mugler's Naughty Fruity has only two listed notes: plum and tobacco.

    I haven't tried it yet, but I've liked other offerings in their Les Exceptions line.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    Some have said that Frank No. 2 was essentially their attempt at making a sort of Michael For Men 2001. Frank No. 2 has always been recommend online as a close alternative to Kors since it was discontinued, but I have never tried it personally to see if this is true.

    If Kors was successful and they had different versions of the same tobacco/plum Michael cologne ala Michael - Fresh, Michael - Black , Michael - Extreme, might Frank No. 2 come across as part of the Michael Kors fragrance line or are the similarities overstated?

    Any feedback on this would be appreciated
    Okay, got it. If Frank No.2 was part of the "Michael" line and had to take on a name as a flanker to that line, it could rightfully be called something like, "Michael Kors Winter Tavern" lol or "Michael Kors Cafe Reserve" It has very notable coffee notes and cognac notes in addition to the plum. They make for a really nice combination from what I remember. There's a bergamot and lavender theme running through as well which can push it into fougere territory, but the version I tried leaned more toward the darker side of the spectrum (cognac, coffeee and plum). ***Keep in Mind*** I tried Frank No.2 in 2010. It was in a completely different bottle at that point. Judging by the shift in the tone of comments over the years, Frank No. 2 has been seriously, and very poorly, reformulated. What went from consistently rave reviews praising the curious blend of coffee, cognac, lavender and plum, are now comments remarking how utterly boring and cheap it smells. Phrases like "typical men's fougere, nothing specia,l" "generic," "very unoriginal," "less plush and more synthetic," "sooooo watered down," and "mediocre synthetic mess," are in stark contrast to what was being said about it 10 years ago. There's almost always a bad reformulation behind situations like this.

    My guess is that Frank No.2 was a surprisingly successful artisanal-niche fragrance that ended up selling like gangbusters at Luckyscent and thereby gaining it a great reputation. Seeing an opportunity to sell sell sell, Frank gave it some fancy new packaging but unfortunately a careless (and much cheaper) reformulation. I wouldn't touch it now, honestly. There's just too many comments indicating something's gone wrong. I mean I guess you can get a sample of it, right? That should be pretty easy to get a hold of at Luckyscent. I definitely wouldn't recommend a blind buy.

    Also, I sampled Frank No. 2 years ago, but from what I remember, it really doesn't smell that much like Michael. Michael comes across pretty spicy to me (No. 2 doesn't), with an almost animalic spiciness at times, a very natural tobacco accord (which is completely absent in No.2), a big plum note (I do remember the plum in Frank being nice and big), no bergamot or lavender to speak of (which are notably present in No.2). No.2 (at least the good version) is all about the coffee and cognac (along with the plum) and they don't show up in Michael at all. So I'd say they're in the same ballpark but really not that similar.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

  24. #24

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Okay, got it. If Frank No.2 was part of the "Michael" line and had to take on a name as a flanker to that line, it could rightfully be called something like, "Michael Kors Winter Tavern" lol or "Michael Kors Cafe Reserve" It has very notable coffee notes and cognac notes in addition to the plum. They make for a really nice combination from what I remember. There's a bergamot and lavender theme running through as well which can push it into fougere territory, but the version I tried leaned more toward the darker side of the spectrum (cognac, coffeee and plum). ***Keep in Mind*** I tried Frank No.2 in 2010. It was in a completely different bottle at that point. Judging by the shift in the tone of comments over the years, Frank No. 2 has been seriously, and very poorly, reformulated. What went from consistently rave reviews praising the curious blend of coffee, cognac, lavender and plum, are now comments remarking how utterly boring and cheap it smells. Phrases like "typical men's fougere, nothing specia,l" "generic," "very unoriginal," "less plush and more synthetic," "sooooo watered down," and "mediocre synthetic mess," are in stark contrast to what was being said about it 10 years ago. There's almost always a bad reformulation behind situations like this.

    My guess is that Frank No.2 was a surprisingly successful artisanal-niche fragrance that ended up selling like gangbusters at Luckyscent and thereby gaining it a great reputation. Seeing an opportunity to sell sell sell, Frank gave it some fancy new packaging but unfortunately a careless (and much cheaper) reformulation. I wouldn't touch it now, honestly. There's just too many comments indicating something's gone wrong. I mean I guess you can get a sample of it, right? That should be pretty easy to get a hold of at Luckyscent. I definitely wouldn't recommend a blind buy.

    Also, I sampled Frank No. 2 years ago, but from what I remember, it really doesn't smell that much like Michael. Michael comes across pretty spicy to me (No. 2 doesn't), with an almost animalic spiciness at times, a very natural tobacco accord (which is completely absent in No.2), a big plum note (I do remember the plum in Frank being nice and big), no bergamot or lavender to speak of (which are notably present in No.2). No.2 (at least the good version) is all about the coffee and cognac (along with the plum) and they don't show up in Michael at all. So I'd say they're in the same ballpark but really not that similar.
    Thanks for the detailed feedback and I love your Kors flanker names.

    I can't tell you the number of times people have told me that Frank No 2 is like Kors, I even started a thread about in 2018, but it didn't get any traction as I assume the vast majority of people here haven't tried it.

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...er-2?highlight=

    Yes, it doesn't seem all that similar per your description, but I guess all noses are different.

    I live in Canada, so with the exchange rate and shipping costs - I just never pulled the trigger on it.

    I will never understand the idea of busting your ass to create a great fragrance that a company are proud to put their name behind - but because they want to sell a little bit more, they reformulate to a version that they would never approve the first time around, because it's watered down cheap and lazy version.

  25. #25
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil
    Posts
    304,940

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Ursidae View Post
    Mugler's Naughty Fruity has only two listed notes: plum and tobacco.

    I haven't tried it yet, but I've liked other offerings in their Les Exceptions line.
    This one is excellent! I own and love it and don't know why this one slipped my mind!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  26. #26
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,915

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    This sounds interesting, but I find Spice Bomb to be a little too sweet. I like a more warm and spicy tobacco fragrance. Would you say this is a very sweet?
    There is a sweetness to it, yes, but I wouldn't call it 'sickly' sweet like some gourmands I've smelled. I think you should maybe order the bar soap for cheap ($6.99 on Amazon) and smell it. That's what I did as a way of sampling the scent. The soap smells very nice. And go look at the Amazon reviews. It's overwhelmingly positive on the opinion of the scent by random people.
    Currently wearing: Osato by Micallef

  27. #27

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    There is a sweetness to it, yes, but I wouldn't call it 'sickly' sweet like some gourmands I've smelled. I think you should maybe order the bar soap for cheap ($6.99 on Amazon) and smell it. That's what I did as a way of sampling the scent. The soap smells very nice. And go look at the Amazon reviews. It's overwhelmingly positive on the opinion of the scent by random people.
    I will do that. Is the tobacco quite strong/noticeable or is it really more of a hint of tobacco that may or may not be detected depending on the nose smelling it.

  28. #28
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,915

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I will do that. Is the tobacco quite strong/noticeable or is it really more of a hint of tobacco that may or may not be detected depending on the nose smelling it.
    The tobacco is definitely 'there'. It's the major part of the base along with plum. There is also a sweetness, some spices like nutmeg and cinnamon. I can't gauge your opinion on what is 'very sweet' vs 'sweet' vs 'moderately sweet'. I would put this one as just a tad under 'sweet'. It's got sweetness but, IMO, seems like a well thought out level of it. Not overdone, but definitely there. Your opinion might differ depending on each person's sensitivities being different. I detest 'sickly sweet' gourmands. They aren't my thing. And so if this one is acceptable to me I think you are likely to enjoy it.
    Currently wearing: Osato by Micallef

  29. #29

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    The tobacco is definitely 'there'. It's the major part of the base along with plum. There is also a sweetness, some spices like nutmeg and cinnamon. I can't gauge your opinion on what is 'very sweet' vs 'sweet' vs 'moderately sweet'. I would put this one as just a tad under 'sweet'. It's got sweetness but, IMO, seems like a well thought out level of it. Not overdone, but definitely there. Your opinion might differ depending on each person's sensitivities being different. I detest 'sickly sweet' gourmands. They aren't my thing. And so if this one is acceptable to me I think you are likely to enjoy it.
    I don't mind a little bit of sweetness if it blends nicely with the other warm and spicy notes, but if the sweetness is prominent, than that is a problem for me.

    For example, I don't know if you have tried 18.21 tobacco cologne, but my teeth were falling out it was so unbearably sweet.

    375x500_37691.jpg

  30. #30
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,915

    Default Re: Tobacco + Plum

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I don't mind a little bit of sweetness if it blends nicely with the other warm and spicy notes, but if the sweetness is prominent, than that is a problem for me.

    For example, I don't know if you have tried 18.21 tobacco cologne, but my teeth were falling out it was so unbearably sweet.

    375x500_37691.jpg
    Nope. Never tried that one. Just order that cheap soap and tell me what you think. There is a chance PdP No. 63 could be a 'tad' sweet for someone depending on their sensitivity level. It's around that teetering point where I think for highly finicky people they might balk at it being just sweet enough to offend.
    Currently wearing: Osato by Micallef




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 9th November 2017, 11:51 PM
  2. Plum, plum, plum, plum, plum, fruits and plum!
    By Akahina in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 26th April 2016, 06:15 PM
  3. Best tobacco scent : Remy Latour Cigar or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille ?
    By Harvey Scent in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10th August 2015, 06:30 PM
  4. Plum Crazy! (the search for plum notes)
    By Akahina in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 24th April 2013, 09:53 AM
  5. Plum
    By ActingTall in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 7th October 2012, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000