Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Default Re: Thoughts on Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    ......From the very first sniff I found it very pleasant and easy to love. Actually, I never realized that someone could dislike it. It strikes the perfect balance between elements perceived as classically masculine and the soft, sweet and floral elements..... It's not masculine in any traditional way and its warmth and opulence makes it something I would not call conservative either. Luca Turin sometimes said about de Nicolai's New York that it simply smells good. Egoiste would be one of my top picks, if I were to use this line.

Ageless, timeless, one of the best things I ever smelled.

Like many designer fragrances it could rely less on aldehydes and it needs an extrait de parfum version. Being reformulated has done damage - more ethyl vanillin, less sandalwood-powdery-musky, boozy-spicy-rosy. I'd like to see RA use it as a model for something. I don't know the latest Egoiste, but as far as deftness of touch, legitimate complexity and compositional balance go, vintage Egoiste murders something like Puredistance M.
    Last edited by pluran; 9th January 2020 at 10:25 AM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

I'm sometimes surprised when I see Avecesar posting Egoiste as his scent of the day, because it does seem different, to me, from the style he and Monsieur Montana and some others normally prefer.

What are you thoughts on Chanel Egoiste?
    Well, it seems that the fact that I wear Egoiste from time to time is creating some emotion ...
    First of all, Egoiste is not in my top ten most worn fragrances and it's more a "Like" than a "Love" for me but let me tell you my story with this scent.
    When Egoiste was launched (at the beginning of the 90's), I tried it at a Sephora in Paris. Only one spray on my wrist was enough to reject this scent because of a so overly sweet and unusual opening to my nose.Not for me ! I never smelled such a strange perfume before ! So different from my beloved classics Azzaro pour homme, Givenchy Gentleman, Guerlain Héritage, YSL pour homme ...
    I didn't give it a second chance and forgot Egoiste for more than 20 years until 3-4 years ago when I met with a musician (I have some activity in the music business) and this guy was smelling so good I couldn't resist to ask him what he was wearing : Egoiste ! I couldn't believe it . I purchased right away a used bottle on eBay (vintage one) for few euros and tried it again, and found again the opening very "special" but overpassed it and I started to enjoy the surprisingly nice drydown of this scent. To my nose, it smells very good and my wife likes it on me.
    My only restrictions are that I wear it when outside temperature is cool and I apply 2 sprays max.
    Simple story...
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

Ageless, timeless, one of the best things I ever smelled.

Like many designer fragrances it could rely less on aldehydes and it needs an extrait de parfum version. Being reformulated has done damage - more ethyl vanillin, less sandalwood-powdery-musky, boozy-spicy-rosy. I'd like to see RA use it as a model for something. I don't know the latest Egoiste, but as far as deftness of touch, legitimate complexity and compositional balance go, vintage Egoiste murders something like Puredistance M.
    An extrait! Wouldn't that be something?

I do think Egoiste is a true modern classic and stands out even today. I wore it when it first came out and continue to find it very appealing. What surprised me coming back to the vintage recently is the animalic touch lent by the ambrette, which I don't remember noticing first time around. The vintage can be strong but I wouldn't describe it as a powerhouse.

The Concentrée is also superb, but spicier and punchier of course. However, it does seem I like my Egoiste for its woody softness - and for this particular facet there's no beating Bois Noir I think. It's quieter but very plush and less animalic imo.

--

PS I find Platinum Egoiste plain nasty, frankly.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Such fun posts, thanks. Sheik, your post was good, no need to delete.

When I first tried Egoiste, I had been used to YSL Opium Pour Homme, and Egoiste was a very easy-to-like upgrade. Egoiste was an early Basenotes recommendation that paid off. At the time, we could order Chanel decants from Surrender to Chance, etc. which I did, and it was a great formulation, whatever it was. I don't think it was vintage, but when I started getting bottles, I got older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    I didn't give it a second chance and forgot Egoiste for more than 20 years until 3-4 years ago when I met with a musician (I have some activity in the music business) and this guy was smelling so good I couldn't resist to ask him what he was wearing : Egoiste ! I couldn't believe it . I purchased right away a used bottle on eBay (vintage one) for few euros and tried it again, and found again the opening very "special" but overpassed it and I started to enjoy the surprisingly nice drydown of this scent.
    Great story. Smelling good perfume coming from someone else is a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    I have small vintage bottle, bought it six years ago, it's still full . I prefer Pour Monsieur ( Concentree) anytime.
    It took me a long time to understand how similar Egoiste and Pour Monsieur concentree can be. The release years were Bois Noir in 1987, Pour Monsieur Concnetree in 1989, and Egoiste in 1990. I didn't love Pour Monsieur Concentree at first, but I might like it more than Egoiste now.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    The Concentrée is also superb, but spicier and punchier of course. However, it does seem I like my Egoiste for its woody softness - and for this particular facet there's no beating Bois Noir I think. It's quieter but very plush and less animalic imo.
    Good notes on Bois Noir, I agree it's soft and plush.

Great posts and a very good thread Bavard to have started it.

For me, there's one connection - sandalwood. While vtg Samsara and Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble take the #1 spot for me, vtg Egoiste is right up there along with being really pleasant smelling, with wonderful scent trail without having a bombastic announcement. I totally agree with a post I read earlier - it simply smells good.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Actually, I never realized that someone could dislike it.
    This is how Egoiste feels to me when I wear it - extremely safe. I can't imagine someone disliking it (coming off me when I wear it).

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post

For me, there's one connection - sandalwood. While vtg Samsara and Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble take the #1 spot for me, vtg Egoiste is right up there along with being really pleasant smelling, with wonderful scent trail without having a bombastic announcement. I totally agree with a post I read earlier - it simply smells good.
    Oh yes, vintage Samsara EdP has the most divine sandalwood drydown I have ever encountered in a western fragrance. Getting there is a bit difficult for me. Can't really pull off the jasmine and ylang-ylang top. Santal Noble also used to be superb. Too bad I never managed to acquire a vintage bottle.

Oh, and everything I said about Egoiste was about early nineties version. Current version is still pretty good, but doesn't satisfy.

Oh yes, vintage Samsara EdP has the most divine sandalwood drydown I have ever encountered in a western fragrance. Getting there is a bit difficult for me. Can't really pull off the jasmine and ylang-ylang top. Santal Noble also used to be superb. Too bad I never managed to acquire a vintage bottle.

Oh, and everything I said about Egoiste was about early nineties version. Current version is still pretty good, but doesn't satisfy.
    Yes, talking strictly vintage versions of all 3 fragrances.

Freed from BN Institution

The original release of the perfume extrait of Samsara is wonderful - the sandalwood is easily recognizable. Unlike Egoiste, I find Samsara a little harder to wear for the casual occasions. Despite this it's one of my favorite sandalwood scents of all time.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Angélique Encens by Creed

Wow, this must be a record for number of posts in this forum within a day's time! And if someone wants to give vintage Egoiste a negative rating, I would not pay any attention unless he/she explained in detail or provided criteria by which he/she is assessing fragrances. What you often see in many reviews, meaning of all kinds of things, such as movies, is that if something has a great reputation and the reviewer doesn't think it lives up to that reputation, it gets a negative review. On the other hand, if something is dismissed as garbage and the reviewer thinks it's mediocre, it might get an excellent review.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Wow, this must be a record for number of posts in this forum within a day's time! And if someone wants to give vintage Egoiste a negative rating, I would not pay any attention unless he/she explained in detail or provided criteria by which he/she is assessing fragrances. What you often see in many reviews, meaning of all kinds of things, such as movies, is that if something has a great reputation and the reviewer doesn't think it lives up to that reputation, it gets a negative review. On the other hand, if something is dismissed as garbage and the reviewer thinks it's mediocre, it might get an excellent review.
    Dear Bigsly I guess that “someone” would be me.
    I haven’t written any reviews on vintage Egoiste and i don’t intend to.
    I haven’t given any negative ratings and don’t try to influence people.
    I have just said I am not “an Egoiste fan” and explained the reason.
    Just don’t pay attention as you have already said you will in case somebody doesn’t like Egoiste.
    I can live with that und I guess the rest of us too.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Dear Bigsly I guess that “someone” would be me.
    I haven’t written any reviews on vintage Egoiste and i don’t intend to.
    I haven’t given any negative ratings and don’t try to influence people.
    I have just said I am not “an Egoiste fan” and explained the reason.
    Just don’t pay attention as you have already said you will in case somebody doesn’t like Egoiste.
    I can live with that und I guess the rest of us too.
    Then blame the OP:

"Monsieur Montana recently posted that his rating for vintage Chanel Egoiste is a thumbs down..."

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    if something has a great reputation and the reviewer doesn't think it lives up to that reputation, it gets a negative review. On the other hand, if something is dismissed as garbage and the reviewer thinks it's mediocre, it might get an excellent review.
    I agree that can happen. In this case, it's even more nuts and bolts. You have a serious collector with a gem of a 100-ml vintage Egoiste spray in hand, talking about moving it on. Again, it kind of makes sense to me. I'm not really into the idea of Monsieur Montana wearing Egoiste. It's a bit ambery sweet for him, I would think.

Thanks for starting this thread Bavard, so many excellent responses (and of course, Zealot Crusader crushed it, waay out of the park). Its funny because I've been talking to several of you in this thread privately about exactly this subject, picking your brains about the differences between Egoiste, ECC, and Bois Noir, about different vintages, and so on and so forth. I'm so happy to have a thread dedicated to it!

Anyhow, count me as one of those Egoiste fanatics, as its climbed right to the top of my most worn list in one season.

I obtained a decant of it a few winters ago, and at that point, I did not like it. It was too much cinnamon, too floral, too weird for my tastes at the time. Fast forward a few years, and my tastes have changed and evolved, my fragrance world broadened, and my nose matured. I tried it again, and man, someone said "swoon worthy" and thats how I felt upon trying it again last fall. That amazing, spicy, fruity opening (I adore the "sicilian" mandarin note that is used), the beautiful rosewood and spicy, dark, damask rose, the whisper of carnation, and that absolutely incredible creamy mysore sandalwood base with hints of amber and leather and tobacco and vanilla poking around... I couldn't get enough! Its just so beautifully composed, so delightfully complex, so perfectly balanced, and just so SO smooth and sophisticated. Like someone else said, its ageless and timeless, it will never smell dated or old. Easily one of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled, and definitely my favorite colder weather fragrance.

I have not (yet) had the pleasure of smelling Bois Noir, but I think I'm in the minority, as I (slightly) prefer the Concentree, due to the cinnamon note being a bit toned down (compared to the EdT), and the delicious sandalwood being slightly amped up. Thats really the only noticeable concrete differences to my nose, but for whatever reason, ECC feels ever so slightly more opulent to me. (That being said, the drydowns are practically identical to my nose) I have spent this entire fall/winter like a man possessed, hunting down bottles of Concentree, because I could almost see the level of juice dropping as I used my little 50ml bottle. Now that I have a bit more, I need to back up my only (4.2oz) bottle of EdT!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    My prized collection of Egoiste.
    Attachment 116321
    You apparently own the rarest of all Egoiste, the rare and mysterious "levitating Egoiste" batch!!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I'd like to know of everyone's preference of Egoiste EDT to Egoiste Cologne Concentree and Bois Noir. How about the New York/Paris vs Paris only bottles? I really enjoy the New York/Paris bottles as it has stronger spicer opening vs the Paris only Egioste. At some point I'll showcase my collection of Egoiste.

Among the three my favorite is the Egoiste EDT. While they all have slight differences they all come to the same glorious sandalwood dry down at the end. The vintage (EDT above Chanel) is still quite affordable, definitely backup bottle worthy for the long term for daily wearing purposes.

I wouldn't mind having more Egoiste specifically the New York/Paris bottles, that juice is great stuff:

Attachment 116290

Attachment 116291
    what about "L'Egoiste" ?
    as i understand the very first bottles were labeled as L'Egoiste, anyone have try this?
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    what about "L'Egoiste" ?
    as i understand the very first bottles were labeled as L'Egoiste, anyone have try this?
    I'd like a bottle of L'Egoiste.

what about "L'Egoiste" ?
    One of the two bottles I got in 1990 says "L'Egoiste" on it. I still have it.

what about "L'Egoiste" ?
    L'Egoiste was a regional release to London in the early years of its release.

Egoiste was released specifically for different regions - Paris, New York, London, Japan as indicated on the boxes.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    One of the two bottles I got in 1990 says "L'Egoiste" on it. I still have it.
    How does it compare to your other bottle? There's a bit of a difference between the New York/Pairs and Paris only EDT bottles so it's possible that the London bottle might be slightly different as well.

Dependent

what about "L'Egoiste" ?
    I have read that "Egoiste" was the registered trade name of a french magazine created in 1977 by a woman called Nicole Wizniak and that Chanel had to purchase the name "Egoiste" in order to get the authorization to use it for the perfume. So, it is very possible that first bottles were labelled "L'Egoiste" until the agreement was finalized and that the juice was the same.
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    I have read that "Egoiste" was the registered trade name of a french magazine created in 1977 by a woman called Nicole Wizniak and that Chanel had to purchase the name "Egoiste" in order to get the authorization to use it for the perfume. So, it is very possible that first bottles were labelled "L'Egoiste" until the agreement was finalized and that the juice was the same.
    True. Nicole Wisniak launched "Egoïste" as a more-or-less annual publication back in 1977. She sold the rights to the name to Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel in 1990; the terms of the sale were, to the best of my knowledge, never disclosed, but apparently included allowing Wisniak to continue using it for her magazine.

Interestingly, Révillon issued an "Égoïste" c. 1935: it's in the BN directory as a masculine, but it was marketed as a feminine at the time. I guess they didn't retain rights to the name after they stopped producing it.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    An extrait! Wouldn't that be something?...
    If it wasn't for people seeking maximum exhilaration from crappy Allures and Bleu de Chanels that they think look good on their bathroom shelves, it would be right up Olivier Polge's alley.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th January 2020 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread Bavard, so many excellent responses (and of course, Zealot Crusader crushed it, waay out of the park). Its funny because I've been talking to several of you in this thread privately about exactly this subject, picking your brains about the differences between Egoiste, ECC, and Bois Noir, about different vintages, and so on and so forth. I'm so happy to have a thread dedicated to it!

Anyhow, count me as one of those Egoiste fanatics, as its climbed right to the top of my most worn list in one season.

I obtained a decant of it a few winters ago, and at that point, I did not like it. It was too much cinnamon, too floral, too weird for my tastes at the time. Fast forward a few years, and my tastes have changed and evolved, my fragrance world broadened, and my nose matured. I tried it again, and man, someone said "swoon worthy" and thats how I felt upon trying it again last fall. That amazing, spicy, fruity opening (I adore the "sicilian" mandarin note that is used), the beautiful rosewood and spicy, dark, damask rose, the whisper of carnation, and that absolutely incredible creamy mysore sandalwood base with hints of amber and leather and tobacco and vanilla poking around... I couldn't get enough! Its just so beautifully composed, so delightfully complex, so perfectly balanced, and just so SO smooth and sophisticated. Like someone else said, its ageless and timeless, it will never smell dated or old. Easily one of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled, and definitely my favorite colder weather fragrance.

I have not (yet) had the pleasure of smelling Bois Noir, but I think I'm in the minority, as I (slightly) prefer the Concentree, due to the cinnamon note being a bit toned down (compared to the EdT), and the delicious sandalwood being slightly amped up. Thats really the only noticeable concrete differences to my nose, but for whatever reason, ECC feels ever so slightly more opulent to me. (That being said, the drydowns are practically identical to my nose) I have spent this entire fall/winter like a man possessed, hunting down bottles of Concentree, because I could almost see the level of juice dropping as I used my little 50ml bottle. Now that I have a bit more, I need to back up my only (4.2oz) bottle of EdT!
    Sounds like it's time for you to try Versailles Pour Homme! Only similar in terms of being a vintage Oriental, but if you want complexity in your vintage Orientals, it's a must try.

Someone posted this sometime back here and thought I share it. It provides some details of the origins of Bois Noir.

Great video. Le Grand Duc was around here for a long time.

Egoiste was "too sophisticated for Americans".

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    the rarest of all Egoiste, the rare and mysterious "levitating Egoiste" batch!!
    A bit lost here - what's rare / mysterious about NCal's bottles?

Maybe the box is taped to the laptop screen - in which case it's not a rare, levitating Egosite.

I watched that Le Grand Duc video a few years ago. He definitely seems to have fun talking about perfume!

I was wondering too