Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Floris London Opinions

I just blind purchased Elite by Floris and if that proves to be winner I am willing to explore rest of the male line up.

I really like houses with real history not “invented one”.

What’s your opinion of this house?
    And what do you recommend trying?

No.87 is no brainer since it’s James Bond cologne of choice and I was thinking about Santal as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Default Re: Floris London Opinions

I really enjoy Floris and have several of their fragrances. As a house, their fragrances tend to be kind of like Creed, as they are friendly and generally liked by the masses. But unlike Creed, you can usually find them at prices that are not overly expensive. Most are classy, pleasing and inoffensive. The only drawback is I find they usually have only average to slightly below average longevity/projection. But I personally have no problem working through that.

The one you really need to watch out for is one that has been discontinued....Floris Vetiver. It is excellent but is pretty hard to find. But if you do, I'd scoop it up.

Others I have include....

Santal
    Mahon Leather (also hard to find now)
    JF
    Jermyn Street (another one of my very favorites from the house)
    1962 (another favorite)
    71/72
    Victorious

Two more I like but don't have (yet) are:

Honey Oud (this one gets particularly good reviews)
    Leather Oud
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

I think Leather Oud is great. I will probably end up with a bottle.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    What’s your opinion of this house?
    Personally not a fan of the house offerings. Have tried several.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Personally do like and also happen to own Elite and No. 89, but also willing to try and if so, to further share impressions especially about Cefiro, Limes and No. 127 as well
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

Basenotes Plus

I like a few of the offerings. I feel the same way with Penhaligon's - there are some gems among the duds. Often hard to get samples outside the UK.
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.

I have been a long time user and fan of Floris and have many of their frags. 127,Honey Oud, Jermyn Street, 71/72 Turnbull and Asser, Islay, Malmaison, Spencer Hart Palm Springs, Limes and of course No.89. Although I have to say, as a Bond fan, Bond never actually wore No.89. In “ From Russia With Love” ( the novel) when asked why Englishmen don’t wear scent, he replies “ we bathe.” However, he did use Floris bath products and as for the fragrance, Fleming wore it himself.

I have some very nice fragrances, Aventus and Viking, Dior Homme Intense, others. But Creed and Dior houses are always hit and miss. For two years now I have narrowed down reliable first class affordable houses to two: Lalique and Floris (Clive Christian and Roja, House of Matriarch, yes, many quality very expensive exclusive ones aside). The list of famous personages that relies on Floris goes on and on. Santal is the signature for the singer Placido Domingo. President Kennedy famously wore Floris Vetiver, and Churchill Special#127... The only reason I don't wear Floris 1962 every day is because receiving the compliments that I do every time I wear it does get a bit old This classy house would never be caught dead producing a mass pleaser Dior Savauge or something like YSL Y. There's nothing like a disappointing fragrance in the house. Some of the citrus based scents have sillage issues. Name a citrus scent that doesn't. This and Lalique for houses that can still offer fragrances below 200$ usd. Elegance and class. Period. I was getting a little paranoid for lack of compliments so I wore my 1962 today. That's not the most "selling" name, but my friends know what it is by now!
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.
    Currently wearing: Colognisé by Nishane

I want to like the house but I'm not a big fan of their scents. Briefly, this is how I feel about the fragrances:

Nice, worthy of wearing:
    Santal
    Cefiro (not too often though)
    Honey Oud

Hmm, OK:
    JF
    Mahon Leather

Just hard to wear and rather dated:
    Elite (it's OK when I'm alone)
    No 89
    Special No. 127
    Limes

Victorious (not dated but weird)
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Sound Scents

I own vintage bottles of many from the line, and No 89, for example, is exceptional smelling in its original formula. I haven’t sniffed current IFRA neutered versions of No 89 or Elite, but as the original formulas were both loaded with oakmoss, I fear for what the current versions must smell like now in neutered form.

Compositions like Eau de Santal based on the ingredients I would expect to have held up well under IFRA, and it smells wonderful.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Basenotes Plus

Light-wearing mostly with few notable exceptions but generally updated to more modern sensibilities. If you appreciate quieter yet elegant scents this could be a house worth checking. I love a couple, like a few, enjoy some more than others yet somehow have accumulated quite a number of Floris fragrances in my wardrobe:

1962 *
    No.89
    Vert Fougere *
    Neroli Voyage
    Jermyn Street *
    71/72
    Bergamotto di Positano
    Edwardian Bouquet
    A Rose For..,
    Leather Oud
    Honey Oud

love it

Currently wearing: Sir Winston by Bortnikoff

Everyone should try 1962. Everyone.

I'm unfamiliar with Floris for the most part, the three that I have tried were all very good:

Honey Oud
    Santal

These are the three that I've tried and I thought they were all very good. 1962 is excellent.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

I have also liked the brand in the past - original Elite is one I owned and I also tried JF and No 89 in their original forms. I didn’t own those though.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsableguy View Post
    Although I have to say, as a Bond fan, Bond never actually wore No.89. In “ From Russia With Love” ( the novel) when asked why Englishmen don’t wear scent, he replies “ we bathe.” However, he did use Floris bath products and as for the fragrance, Fleming wore it himself.
    On the topic of the Bond novels, I agree with the above as it marries-up with what I’ve read. No 89 was Fleming’s scent.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Everyone should try 1962. Everyone.
    I owned this one as well at a time, but had to move it on. That highly synthetic opening was too much for me to have to go through in order to enjoy the dry down.

I am wearing 1962 from a sample and am enjoying it. Lighter, fresher Italian Cypress-vibe going on.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    I just blind purchased Elite by Floris and if that proves to be winner I am willing to explore rest of the male line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This probably is not the best starting point. I hope you enjoy it, but it's my least favorite. There's a note in it that doesn't work for me (and for some reason, I SWEAR it was Tuberose from having had it back in the early 2000s, but it doesn't appear listed on its notes any longer via a few sites - it does here on Basenotes, though. Strange.)
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Does anyone know where in the US I could order a sample of Jermyn Street? This one seems hard to find.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    Does anyone know where in the US I could order a sample of Jermyn Street? This one seems hard to find.
    Go to: https://www.florislondon.com/en_usd/...-street-sample

Just make sure the currency is on U.S. Dollars. I really like this one and have been checking on prices occasionally. I don't know what they charge for shipping; it used to be you could select five samples and just pay a flat fee ($5, I believe) for shipping, but they no longer do that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Go to: https://www.florislondon.com/en_usd/...-street-sample

Just make sure the currency is on U.S. Dollars. I really like this one and have been checking on prices occasionally. I don't know what they charge for shipping; it used to be you could select five samples and just pay a flat fee ($5, I believe) for shipping, but they no longer do that.
    Thanks!
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

The Bark,

Definitely Tuberose! I have a bottle from some years ago and the tuberose is way potent and gets me every time.
    My bottle remains at 98% full. :-) Definitely a tough Floris to start out with and nothing like any of the others from the house that I have tried.

I have no clue what the current version is like. Perhaps they no long include tuberose?

This probably is not the best starting point. I hope you enjoy it, but it's my least favorite. There's a note in it that doesn't work for me (and for some reason, I SWEAR it was Tuberose from having had it back in the early 2000s, but it doesn't appear listed on its notes any longer via a few sites - it does here on Basenotes, though. Strange.)

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    The Bark,

Definitely Tuberose! I have a bottle from some years ago and the tuberose is way potent and gets me every time.
    My bottle remains at 98% full. :-) Definitely a tough Floris to start out with and nothing like any of the others from the house that I have tried.

I have no clue what the current version is like. Perhaps they no long include tuberose?
    I've read some of the more recent reviews and it doesn't sound like the same fragrance. Floris scents from 2000 on, at least in terms of packaging, have changed a number of times. If it hasn't changed and still has the heady Tuberose, they probably changed the marketing of the notes so as to not scare potential buyers away. It can be done well in a men's fragrance, but it's really too much in this (at least with those bottles from the early 2000s!).

I agree, Elite is definitely not one of my favorites and not a good representation of the overall house of Floris.

Jermyn Street is excellent.....very classy smelling.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Santal is my favorite

I've been wearing Floris for a good 10 years now, Santal is easily my favourite but as others have said Jermyn Street seems good as does one of the other new ones (Bergamotto Positano or Neroli Voyage?), Palm Springs was a very nice fragrance in small quantities but I couldn't justify owning a bottle. Special 127 is also nice and clean though there is something almost liquorice like in there which I'm not so keen on. Also have a bottle of Malmaison that I'm using sparingly.

Unfortunately the much lauded No89 smells exactly like Demeter Funeral Parlour to me, it's one of the floral notes (Lily perhaps?), very powdery and very much of the 50's. I had a sample of Elite and it really didn't do it for me, there was something reminiscant of toilet cleaner but everyone's nose is different.

On the whole I'd say a great house, they haven't yet diluted their brand or started massively over charging, both of which Penhaligons has done. The Soap is excellent and was my introduction to them.

Price-wise they're more expensive than high street brands but then much better quality and value for money than say Acqua di Parma, Penhaligons or Diptyque who I'd argue lack the quality of Floris and yet charge much more for their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Comtedelafere View Post
    Price-wise they're more expensive than high street brands but then much better quality and value for money than say Acqua di Parma, Penhaligons or Diptyque who I'd argue lack the quality of Floris and yet charge much more for their products.

I'm a big fan of Floris.

I don't get the complaints that they don't have a universally successful lineup. What brand, reputable or no, has ever batted 1000?

Floris explores a very specific, British style of perfumery that most would think of as "barbershop," and I think they excel at it, and generally offer higher quality than the likes of the houses you mention above.

In part, it's underrated because of limited distribution (see also Santa Maria Novella), but the Floris been catalog, Santal aside, is more sturdy than great. It's the old-meets-new stuff of the past few decades that has my affection.

I'm a very big fan of Santal, 1962, and Leather Oud, and would happily own bottles of all three (right now I only have Floris Leather Oud, which flirts with being my all-time favorite scent). Honorable mentions are deserved for 71/72 and Honey Oud. I like the current version of Elite, as well (I've heard the newer stuff is essentially a completely different fragrance from the original release).

Tried Leather Oud from Floris recently, liked it. Reminds me of something a la AdP Oud. I'd want to try 1962 next.

Eau de Santal is good though there is no sandalwood in the composition. More like someones fantasy take on the note. I also like Mahon Leather as it's a safe easy to wear scent. Floris 1962 is the one that takes the crown from the ones I've tried over the years. Now that's good, really good!
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Eau de Guerlain
    2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt
    3. Chypre Siam By Rogue Perfumery
    4. Guerlain Habit Rouge L' Eau
    5. Eau de Rochas Edt By Rochas

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Eau de Santal is good though there is no sandalwood in the composition. More like someones fantasy take on the note. I also like Mahon Leather as it's a safe easy to wear scent. Floris 1962 is the one that takes the crown from the ones I've tried over the years. Now that's good, really good!
    +1 100%

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    The Bark,

This is a great thread as now I know why Elite bugs me too. I agree with Bark, if I had got that one first I would have stopped. Fortunately had others and like them and picked up a blind buy vintage Elite mainly as it was cheap. It's a very challenging wear and my bottle is pretty full too.... probably on the sell list when get around to clearing some.

On the more positive ones I like Limes although it is more the one-note type. JF is good too. I have a few samples haven't got around to, need to do that. But the highlight always come back to is just "Floris Original Gentleman's Cologne". All of them have been vintage. It's a very classic scent, and it has pretty good performance. Even though it gets to skin scent it is a strong skin scent..... Hard to go wrong with it.