Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
o
  1. #1

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,891

    Default Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Today I noticed my Australian Palmolive shave stick in my cupboard.
    I remembered not liking it much previous times I used it five years ago, but gave it a try anyway.
    Surprisingly, today it gave an excellent shave with my Bic Flex 5. Maybe age improves it?

    Anyhow, it occurs to me that while Shave Sticks are very popular over at Badger & Blade, they very rarely get mentioned over here at Basenotes.
    Is it because very few own them?
    Or is it that they are owned, but that creams or standard soaps are quicker or more convenient to use?
    Regards,
    Renato

  2. #2
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,303

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    I don't even know what it is.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  3. #3

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Never used them either so far, but might be quite curious to do so if and/or as soon as companies like (but not limited to) Proraso, Omega, Pino Silvestre, l'Erbolario, at the upper end of the budget ADP Collezione Barbiere etc. will start releasing, manufacturing and retailing shave sticks

  4. #4

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,891

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I don't even know what it is.
    Interesting.

    Here is a shop selling them down here. Can probably get them cheaper on Ebay, since many are dirt cheap in the supermarkets of their home countries.
    http://www.vshod.com/products/Shave-...Australia.html

    Basically, you rub the open end of the shave stick on your whisker hair, then apply a wet brush to work up a lather.

    This video demonstrates how they are used and uses La Toja shave stick, which is among the most rich and lathery.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGIc2-GekHU

    Cheers,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Never used them either so far, but might be quite curious to do so if and/or as soon as companies like (but not limited to) Proraso, Omega, Pino Silvestre, l'Erbolario, at the upper end of the budget ADP Collezione Barbiere etc. will start releasing, manufacturing and retailing shave sticks
    Tabac is sort of upper-end, in the shop link above.

    The main distinction between the shave sticks/shave soaps is whether they are made from vegetable oils or made from tallow (animal fats), which are descibed in the shop description above. Many guys swear tallow is far superior. I've tried tallow ones but generally prefer vegetable oil soaps.
    Regards,
    Renato
    .

  5. #5
    Basenotes Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mid-west
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Palmolive and Arko shave sticks give me the best performance. I've also used Lea, LaToja and Wilkinson sticks. "Sticks" are just soap pucks in a different shape.
    Rubbing a hard shaving soap puck on my wet face works just the same. I rarely bother using a brush anymore. I simply wet both hands and work up a face lather.
    Of course it's not as fun and relaxing, but it gets the job done without turning to some canned goo.

  6. #6

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,891

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    Palmolive and Arko shave sticks give me the best performance. I've also used Lea, LaToja and Wilkinson sticks. "Sticks" are just soap pucks in a different shape.
    Rubbing a hard shaving soap puck on my wet face works just the same. I rarely bother using a brush anymore. I simply wet both hands and work up a face lather.
    Of course it's not as fun and relaxing, but it gets the job done without turning to some canned goo.
    Ah - someone else here does use them, thanks.
    Can I presume you are using the more highly rated European Palmolive stick?

    You are right - if one had replacement pucks, they could easily be used in the same manner. Though it would be trickier if one had pucks solidly stuck inside wood or plastic containers.

    I've never tried just using hands instead of a brush.
    Regards,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Never used them either so far, but might be quite curious to do so if and/or as soon as companies like (but not limited to) Proraso, Omega, Pino Silvestre, l'Erbolario, at the upper end of the budget ADP Collezione Barbiere etc. will start releasing, manufacturing and retailing shave sticks
    I just noticed that I own a Taylors of Old Bond Street shave stick, and a Sir Irisch Moos one too (which I just used).
    Both more up-market than Proraso.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 12th January 2020 at 09:41 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Ah - someone else here does use them, thanks.
    Can I presume you are using the more highly rated European Palmolive stick?

    You are right - if one had replacement pucks, they could easily be used in the same manner. Though it would be trickier if one had pucks solidly stuck inside wood or plastic containers.

    I've never tried just using hands instead of a brush.
    Regards,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -



    I just noticed that I own a Taylors of Old Bond Street shave stick, and a Sir Irisch Moos one too (which I just used).
    Both more up-market than Proraso.
    Cheers,
    Renato

    Thanks you for the recommendations.

    If and whenever possible, it will be a pleasure to check each out.
    Wet shaving (often traditional) being by now a daily or at least almost daily routine do both thoroughly enjoy and also seeking to constantly improve. Should using shave sticks both by these brands and also trusted by Palmolive can easily become an experience worth further sharing and elaborating on these particular (and/or other) BN forums.

  8. #8

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,891

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Thanks you for the recommendations.

    If and whenever possible, it will be a pleasure to check each out.
    Wet shaving (often traditional) being by now a daily or at least almost daily routine do both thoroughly enjoy and also seeking to constantly improve. Should using shave sticks both by these brands and also trusted by Palmolive can easily become an experience worth further sharing and elaborating on these particular (and/or other) BN forums.
    No problem - but to be clear, I'm not recommending Palmolive, either European or Australian. On me they aren't among the best - but others do seem very fond of European Palmolive.

    I'd definitely recommend La Toja, as it is the most rich and lathery of all I've tried.
    Arko is worth checking out only because so many people rave about it at Badger& Blade. You might wind up being one too, though I only thought it okay in my shaves.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  9. #9

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    I was gifted a shave stick a few years ago (can’t remember the brand). I tried to use it but found it inferior to shaving foam/gel, so I haven’t used one since.

  10. #10

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,891

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxPred View Post
    I was gifted a shave stick a few years ago (can’t remember the brand). I tried to use it but found it inferior to shaving foam/gel, so I haven’t used one since.
    Wow - it must have been bad if it was inferior to shaving foam.
    I have several I'm not fond of, but I'd rate them all as better than shaving foam.
    Still, I've mainly selected the one's people were very fond of at Badger&Blade, so my sample is obviously biased towards the better well-known ones.
    Regards,
    Renato

  11. #11

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Wow - it must have been bad if it was inferior to shaving foam.
    It probably was a bad one, but I have always found shaving foam to work well for me. I will also say that I believe shaving process and technique to be just as important as the products used, maybe more important even.

  12. #12

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,891

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxPred View Post
    It probably was a bad one, but I have always found shaving foam to work well for me. I will also say that I believe shaving process and technique to be just as important as the products used, maybe more important even.
    Yes, judging by the shelf space, many or most guys are served reasonably well with shaving foam. Consider yourself fortunate.

    I've tried all types - up to the expensive Aramis shaving foam - and on me while some approach the level of a good cream, they never quite get there.
    That said, with very gooey cartridge razors like Schick Hydro, they more or less need shave foam for a close shave, as the lubricant goo just doesn't work well with the good creams.
    Regards,
    Renato

  13. #13

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    I use a couple of them. Prefer them while travelling for ease of carrying. Anyone who wants to start with one, pick a Valobra and thank me later.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    You’ve piqued my interest Renato. All this talk of shave sticks and creams, now I’ll probably have to dip my toe!

  15. #15

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,891

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by jags009 View Post
    I use a couple of them. Prefer them while travelling for ease of carrying. Anyone who wants to start with one, pick a Valobra and thank me later.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How did I forget Valobra!

    Interestingly, Valobra is unusual in that its shave stick is made of hard soap, whereas the regular Valobra shaving soap is of the softer type (like Cella and Pino Sylvestri).
    Cheers,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxPred View Post
    You’ve piqued my interest Renato. All this talk of shave sticks and creams, now I’ll probably have to dip my toe!
    Use of shave sticks do open up a lot more international soaps to try in a fairly economic manner.
    The cost of one bottle of fragrance does purchase a fair few shave sticks (and creams).
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 15th January 2020 at 01:39 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    I make my own shave sticks. I buy empty rollup containers then fill them with shaving soap from a tub, typically one that is running low. I find sticks perfect for traveling as they take up very little room and give me a quality shave soap.

  17. #17

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,891

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaybeez View Post
    I make my own shave sticks. I buy empty rollup containers then fill them with shaving soap from a tub, typically one that is running low. I find sticks perfect for traveling as they take up very little room and give me a quality shave soap.
    That's very clever!

    If only I hadn't thrown out my old screw deodorant stick tubes.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  18. #18
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    304,284

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaybeez View Post
    I make my own shave sticks. I buy empty rollup containers then fill them with shaving soap from a tub, typically one that is running low.
    That's impressive!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  19. #19
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK / Île de chypre
    Posts
    13,493

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Today I noticed my Australian Palmolive shave stick in my cupboard.
    I remembered not liking it much previous times I used it five years ago, but gave it a try anyway.
    Surprisingly, today it gave an excellent shave with my Bic Flex 5. Maybe age improves it?

    Anyhow, it occurs to me that while Shave Sticks are very popular over at Badger & Blade, they very rarely get mentioned over here at Basenotes.
    Is it because very few own them?
    Or is it that they are owned, but that creams or standard soaps are quicker or more convenient to use?
    Regards,
    Renato
    I think it's mostly because many members don't tend to discuss wet shaving here as they focus so much on fragrances. That said wet shaving is not a taboo subject here by any means. In fact it's what brought me to BN!

    I have used Palmolive almost exclusively for a few years and never regretted it, but as they have now pulled out of the UK market, they are much more expensive to get. I have Speick now which lasts just as long and gives an equally good enough. Honourable mention goes to Wilkinson Sword stick (not the bowl I might add!) although I can't get on with it due to the lanolin which causes me spots. The only other stick I'd recommend is Tabac. I currently use the bowl version of that (one of the best soaps available even today and the same formula is used for both).

    All in all shave sticks are small and convenient for both travel and to keep at home due to their size. The only downside I can ever think of is if you have a lot of stubble and tend not to shave very often. In that case bowl lathering is the only way forward.

  20. #20

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,891

    Default Re: Shave Sticks - Anybody Using Them Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I think it's mostly because many members don't tend to discuss wet shaving here as they focus so much on fragrances. That said wet shaving is not a taboo subject here by any means. In fact it's what brought me to BN!

    I have used Palmolive almost exclusively for a few years and never regretted it, but as they have now pulled out of the UK market, they are much more expensive to get. I have Speick now which lasts just as long and gives an equally good enough. Honourable mention goes to Wilkinson Sword stick (not the bowl I might add!) although I can't get on with it due to the lanolin which causes me spots. The only other stick I'd recommend is Tabac. I currently use the bowl version of that (one of the best soaps available even today and the same formula is used for both).

    All in all shave sticks are small and convenient for both travel and to keep at home due to their size. The only downside I can ever think of is if you have a lot of stubble and tend not to shave very often. In that case bowl lathering is the only way forward.
    That's interesting news about Palmolive and their more expensive sticks.
    I have the bowl version of Tabac too, and like Speik too.
    Oddly enough, yesterday I ordered the new bowl version of Wilkinson Sword after reading that it contained silicone (made me curious). Unlike most everyone else though, I've always been happy with their old bowl version of Wilkinson Sword, and like you thought their shave stick was very good too.

    On Australian Ebay, currently the cheapest shave sticks are Derby where A$15.99 including postage gets one a 12 pack of 75g shave sticks. By way of contrast, one Tabac stick costs around A$20.
    Cheers,
    Renato




Similar Threads

  1. Shave Sticks - Anybody using them regularly?
    By Renato in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10th July 2015, 09:35 PM
  2. Shave Soap vs Shave Cream, Shave Foam, Shave Gel
    By Renato in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 16th May 2012, 03:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000