Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Bracken reformulation?

I don't own this one, but I read a comment elsewhere about the Bracken in new packaging having an inferior drydown.

I had not realised there had been a change in the packaging, but indeed it's true: the original packaging simply had "Amouage" on the front; the newer version has the word "Bracken" on the front as well.

Have any users of Bracken noticed anything inferior in the newer Bracken. I guess you would have to be a real connoisseur of this fragrance to comment on differences between the new and old version. I'm not certain there is anyone out there who has gone through enough Bracken to comment!

But still, the change in packaging is interesting, of which I was previously unaware.
    Currently wearing: Myths Man by Amouage

Default Re: Amouage Bracken reformulation?

Probably full of crap.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes

Perhaps to make my question easier to answer/more relevant:

which basenoters own Bracken? if so, does it have the word BRACKEN on the front of the box, or not? how would you describe the drydown, including longevity?

I’ll check my box later and update. The dry down is incredible though, a really nice powdery, barbershop smell.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Blog Entries

Bracken Man’s drydown has always been weak. Once the clove dries off, it’s a skin scent.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Santal Royal by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I’ll check my box later and update. The dry down is incredible though, a really nice powdery, barbershop smell.
    Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

I plan to get my nose on this soon it’s only been talked about on this forum a crap ton, I also wanna sample Overture man reviews say it’s nice.

The same with Sunshine, Oman and UK box versions difference....
    Made in Oman with ,,text,, Made in UK without.

Currently wearing: Overture by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by nickynick View Post

Ahh I did not know this, thank you for the post.

I have tried both versions. Owned it awhile back in the old packaging, but sold it. Regretting that, I repurchased it recently in the new packaging. I am not aware of any difference. It's the same great fragrance to my nose.
    Currently wearing: Sayat Nova by Bortnikoff

I agree, excellent dry down. I don't find it to be weak at all. Mine has Bracken on the front of the box and is made in Oman.

IMG_20200121_185955.jpg
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by nickynick View Post

Cool, thanks for the info!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I checked my box. It's the UK version with "Bracken" on the front. It smells great. Has very good longevity, and the dry down smells wonderful and really solid 8 to 12 hours later.

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    I have tried both versions. Owned it awhile back in the old packaging, but sold it. Regretting that, I repurchased it recently in the new packaging. I am not aware of any difference. It's the same great fragrance to my nose.
    I find it so. I think I have two bottles. Exceptional longevity and wonderful scents.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Glad there seems to be no change with Bracken Man it’s a pretty recent release anyways.

I checked my box. It's the UK version with "Bracken" on the front. It smells great. Has very good longevity, and the dry down smells wonderful and really solid 8 to 12 hours later.
    Thanks for getting back with that info.

Now we're into May and some of us on the purchase thread received Bracken. Mine is weak without sillage. Almost a skin scent. Made in UK. Bought from MaxAroma. Bracken written on the package. Almost wish to return it.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.
    Currently wearing: Colognisé by Nishane

Quote Originally Posted by PaTomas View Post
    Now we're into May and some of us on the purchase thread received Bracken. Mine is weak without sillage. Almost a skin scent. Made in UK. Bought from MaxAroma. Bracken written on the package. Almost wish to return it.
    Is it possible there was a reformulation within the UK line at one point, so that some UK produced batches are good but others not?

I wore my UK bottle about two weeks ago and it was just as strong as I’d remembered it. I put about 3 sprays on just my arm, under a sweatshirt and could clearly smell it through the shirt all day. My wife commented on it about 7 hours later (“Oh...you smell nice for once”), and when I went to wash my sweatshirt the other day it smelled strongly of the barbershop dry down and patchouli.

I’ll take a look later and see if I can get the batch code of my bottle. It’s one of the best performing scents I own right now. Sorry you’re having a bad experience. Maybe the bottle needs to breathe a little? I often find brand new bottles smell weak right of the gate. I don’t know....

FWIW, your experience with Bracken is similar to my experience with Dia Man (beautiful fragrance but so weak and fleeting) .

I checked mine that I received about a month ago. It was made in the UK, but the performance seems fine. My Beach Hut Man is also UK and it’s beastly. Overture might be my longest lasting, though.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Is it possible there was a reformulation within the UK line at one point, so that some UK produced batches are good but others not?

I wore my UK bottle about two weeks ago and it was just as strong as I’d remembered it. I put about 3 sprays on just my arm, under a sweatshirt and could clearly smell it through the shirt all day. My wife commented on it about 7 hours later (“Oh...you smell nice for once”), and when I went to wash my sweatshirt the other day it smelled strongly of the barbershop dry down and patchouli.

I’ll take a look later and see if I can get the batch code of my bottle. It’s one of the best performing scents I own right now. Sorry you’re having a bad experience. Maybe the bottle needs to breathe a little? I often find brand new bottles smell weak right of the gate. I don’t know....

FWIW, your experience with Bracken is similar to my experience with Dia Man (beautiful fragrance but so weak and fleeting) .
    Thank you for this. I have been able to return the bottle, which is good. It's a shame it seems a throw of the dice whether it's going to be a performer. No real way to do discerning shopping for it.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.
    Currently wearing: Colognisé by Nishane

I got lucky with my new bottle as it’s the no name box. A seller in Houston had 1 bottle left. Pure chance.

I’ve had mine a couple years now, and it has Bracken on the front....made in Oman

Smells great and lasts a good long while!

I know in most cases the bottles are fine, but I sometimes wonder about the quality of stuff that ends up on the gray market. I mean how did it end up there in the first place and what happened to it along the way?

It seems like there are constantly people questioning the quality of something they picked up online through the gray market, and while many times it's probably just the fragrance itself and how it performs and/or smells, I'm sure that there's some legitimacy there too. I've never had an issue with bottles I've purchased from authorized distributors. I have had problems with stuff I've bought online from discounters, not often but from time to time.

These bottles of Bracken Man that are underperforming so much, maybe they're from a bad stock. I don't think that's any more outlandish of an idea than the notion of some kind of reformulation that occurred. Because as it stands now, it appears that there are just as good batches of Bracken made in Oman as in the UK. There are several members in this thread with UK batches that perform very well. One member here even owned one of both and noticed no difference between the two. So it seems to me that there's more likely to be an issue with stock and where it's coming from in terms of the distribution chain than any actual reformulation.

I'm not condemning the gray market--I buy many of my fragrances there, and 95% of the time they're fine (I even bought my bottle of Bracken Man off the gray market and it's great)--but the gray market has its occasional issues. Perhaps that's the root of the problem here--some bad stock floating around--because I do believe the members who are saying that their bottles are not performing well. I don't think it's them or their noses that are creating a problem out of nothing.

Anyone buy a bottle of Bracken from an "authorized" distributor and find it performs poorly? I'd be curious to hear about that.