Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
o

Default Re: Perfumes you tried recently that have been utter disappointments

Bee by Zoologist. I wanted to love it so badly based on the notes but it has this one note in the beginning that I can't stand.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    Bee by Zoologist. I wanted to love it so badly based on the notes but it has this one note in the beginning that I can't stand.
    It's simply TOO sweet for me.
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    Chanel's Cuir de Russie still has a tinge of fecal matter to my nose. Sigh.....

Smells excellent on paper but the moment it hit my skin. I pulled out my sample the other day to try again after a few months. No luck.
    Have you tried Leather Oud? You might love that one.
    Currently wearing: Russian Tea by Masque

Basenotes Plus

Not super recent but,

Prada L’Homme Intense
    Prada Luna Rosa Black

Neither did much for me and performance wasn’t to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    It's simply TOO sweet for me.
    I don't even mind the sweetness but there is one note in the start that I get whiffs of even in the drydown (which is way better than the start because this note only appears in whiffs for me...) that is stomach turning for me. I thought I would love this one (love honey scents!) and that I'd come home with a bottle of it today.

Most

That said, amongst recent releases I quite like the Dior Spice thing and will revisit a couple of the Celines - Reptile & Black Tie (?) seemed interesting.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Valentino Uomo Intense.

I only have one day with my sample from FN but so far... meh. I know it gets compared to the Dior Homme line and I've never really dabbled in the DH line, so I ordered samples of both DH and VUI. Haven't gotten the DH in the mail yet but my first impression of the VUI is that it won't be getting much wear. Just not digging it.

DIPTIQUE TamDao EDT and EDP- the EDT version is very discrete, i could barely smell it. The EDP is slightly stronger. I'm glad I didn't buy blind it when I had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I don't typically have expectations going in, so disappointment is rare, but I was really taken back in a bad way by Acqua di Giò Absolu Instinct. It's pesticide for people IMO.
    Haha, great!
    I really like that one!

To me it has one of the best citrus openings, when talking about designer fragrances.
    And I like that seaweed and woods combination though it's undeniably synthetic.

In regards to the topic.
    Most disappointments I have with several niche stuff I've tried - even with many of the popular and loved ones from Amouage, MFK, Creed, Initio etc..

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Have you tried Leather Oud? You might love that one.
    I'll put that on my next samples list. Thanks!
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.
    Currently wearing: Fleurissimo by Creed

Apart from some underwhelming/rather bland fragrance experiences was lately spared of strikingly, radically downright bad experiences lately
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was an utter disappointment but I sampled Fan Your Flames today. Honestly, I loved it on paper but not much on my skin. It’s a shame. The coconut died quickly on my skin and the majority of the time it just smelt like cedar with some harsh tobacco. No coconut, no rum. Now in the end of the drydown it’s lovely again but I won’t buy a full bottle if I have to get through hours of that to get this.

Maybe I will try one more time later on to see but...

Menthe Fraiche gets so much praise on BN. I purchased a sample and sprayed it on this morning. I find the mint realistic but obnoxious. It really pushes and projects too. Really not enjoying this at all.... a shame.

chad_721

I might be in the minority here, but I recently tried Xerjoff's Alexandria II recently and didn't find it that great, a mundane lavender with a slight touch of cinnamon and apple and hardly any oud. Glad it was only a sample but most reviews for this were very popular and I just don't see it.

Basenotes Plus

My disappointments—ranging from "meh" to scrubbers—include:

Alfred Sung - Sung Homme
    Antonio Puig - Quorum
    Caron - Pour un Homme, Yatagan
    Cartier - Santos Eau de Sport
    Chanel - Allure Homme, Bleu de Chanel, Platinum Égoïste
    Clive Christian - No. 1 for Men
    Creed - Green Irish Tweed
    Crown Perfumery - Crown Imperial
    Davidoff - Zino Davidoff
    Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    Krizia - Spazio Krizia Uomo
    Muelhens - Men's Classic
    Panouge - Sandstorm
    Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme

Most of these have many fans, so this doesn't say as much about the fragrances as it does about my tastes.
    Currently wearing: Rose Ishtar by Rania J

1740 Marquis De Sade, I had high expectations and really wanted to like this but the omnipresent Immortelle note just wore me down.
    Currently wearing: Nobile by Gucci

Maison Crivelli Absenthe Boreale. A clone of Montblanc Legend for ×5 price.
    Givenchy Gentleman Boisee.
    Ferragamo Ferragamo
    Marc Antoine Barrois Ganymede. Didn't get the hype. Smells of a sour leather with some citruses on me.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Maison Crivelli Absenthe Boreale. A clone of Montblanc Legend for ×5 price.
    Givenchy Gentleman Boisee.
    Ferragamo Ferragamo
    Marc Antoine Barrois Ganymede. Didn't get the hype. Smells of a sour leather with some citruses on me.
    Givenchy Gentleman Boisee was it that bad and a bad release? I have the original Gentleman EDT Originale 2018-2019 reformulation of the original and I quite enjoy it great old school stuff.

Was hoping Givenchy Gentleman Boisee would have been nice the notes sounded good, have you tried the Givenchy Gentleman Cologne that was recently released any good?

Phi Une Rose de Kandahar. I had heard such raving over it. Smelled like nothing more than Johnson's Baby Oil on my skin.

Virgin Island Water- Creed. i hate the coconut scent in it. i dont like the smell of any liquid/simulated coconut. in this it particularly reminds me of medicine that's coconut 'flavoured'

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Givenchy Gentleman Boisee was it that bad and a bad release? I have the original Gentleman EDT Originale 2018-2019 reformulation of the original and I quite enjoy it great old school stuff.

Was hoping Givenchy Gentleman Boisee would have been nice the notes sounded good, have you tried the Givenchy Gentleman Cologne that was recently released any good?
    Gentleman Cologne is much better and more unique to me. Boisee smells of sweet tonka on me and that's all.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Basenotes Junkie the blood on 530 27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Latency View Post
    Menthe Fraiche gets so much praise on BN. I purchased a sample and sprayed it on this morning. I find the mint realistic but obnoxious. It really pushes and projects too. Really not enjoying this at all.... a shame.
    Huh! You’re not alone! It has a wet-paint like freshness, smells like an organic, all-natural nail polish remover.
    “The French have a phrase for it. Those bastards have a phrase for everything."

CruzDelSur lol and red Hoba both by Xerjoff , especially when you compare them to other offerings from this house.
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2- Guerlain Derby
    3- 40 knots by Xerjoff
    4- Bond 9 New York Oud
    5- Mamluk by Xerjoff
    6- Coromandel by Chanel
    7- Naxos by Xerjoff
    8- Chanel 19
    9- Dior Oud Isphahn
    10- Richwood by Xerjoff
    Currently wearing: Bois Marocain by Tom Ford